Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, no. I'll take one "soul less appliance" modern bike please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Modern bikes are so soulless

Miss me with that perfect and adjustable USD fork, steering damper and fuel injected air cooled Boxer. I want a Tele lever that breaks when I look at it too hard and an unsupported Kardan that makes me fear for my life when I accelerate in corners.

I joke but there are actual BMW riders in Germany that spouted this when the company decided to un Harley itself.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have already given up. I told him if he buys the wire I'll make him an entirely new loom based off the wiring diagram, using modern components. Thats how bad it is.

Wiring-wise, the design is sound, the actual execution however is mind-bendingly atrocious.

An example: all important electrical/current control and switching (ignition, lights, charging, fuses, etc) is done in the headlight bucket off of one gigantic wafer of what looks like PCB but is actually a big slab of plastic with copper traces rivited to it.

Here is the bottom of one:

What you see here is the bottom of the keyway, in the center. When you push the key in, it pushes those horizontal electrical contacts out into lugs that make a circuit to turn the coils on. Conceptually sound, minus the fact that any corrosion, bending of the contacts, minor seismic activity, or simply temperature changes will make the contacts flake out.

You can also see the three fuse holders here, two on the left that hold a fuse between them and the the board, and one on the right that holds a fuse between the two prongs. Take all of the above issues with the ignition circuit and multiply it by ten. Breathe around those fuses and they fly into low earth orbit. I have no idea how they are expected to stay in place while a 1960's italian single runs under them they stay in just fine because the bike never runs

Here is a high-res view of the jankyness:

The top of the PCB is somehow even worse. The top is a 3-position switch for headlights off, low and high. Inside the switch are copper leaves working as contacts, each connecting in a unique way for each of the three positions. Impossibly complicated, fragile, and next to uncleanable. You can take it apart, its only held together by the twisted sheetmetal tabs you can see in the first image, but getting its spring loading, copper leaf, screwed-in wiring back together is a herculean task

All other parts of the electrical system are the same. The stator has magnets on the outside, plus 1960's italian adhesives, so the magnets fling off and frag the windings. The regulator appears to be a bimetal leaf that acts on a variable resistor :psypop: The rectifier is some custom thing and of course not just a bridge. The rear brake lamp switch sits right in front of the rear tire, uncovered. The handlebars have an extra lightswitch, so you can never be sure where the problem is.

The entire electrical system is babys first wiring project.
Is that a 250? I worked on a 160 that's even worse than that, believe it or not. It was in good shape so I didn't have to gently caress with the switches, thank god, but the whole system is a hybrid moped/motorcycle setup where some of the lights are AC, some are DC including the horn, with a small battery, and some of the lights switch between AC and DC depending what position the switches are in. That main switch board is quite similar to my 1956 BMW also, and maybe even not as bad as the BMW. The BMW one is crimped into the headlight shell. The tabs that crimp it in are part of the shell and will break off if you remove the thing more than twice. Those headlight shells are like $1000 used and new. Yes, the prices are the same for the used ones and the repro parts, and sometimes even more for the used ones.

One thing I can say about that 160 is it sat in my ex's living room for about 10 months once and it like didn't leak at all. I have no idea how that's possible. Yes it did have oil in it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, 250 Monza. I haven’t gotten far enough to discover the hybrid AC/DC thing yet. gently caress.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is that a 250? I worked on a 160 that's even worse than that, believe it or not. It was in good shape so I didn't have to gently caress with the switches, thank god, but the whole system is a hybrid moped/motorcycle setup where some of the lights are AC, some are DC including the horn, with a small battery, and some of the lights switch between AC and DC depending what position the switches are in. That main switch board is quite similar to my 1956 BMW also, and maybe even not as bad as the BMW. The BMW one is crimped into the headlight shell. The tabs that crimp it in are part of the shell and will break off if you remove the thing more than twice. Those headlight shells are like $1000 used and new. Yes, the prices are the same for the used ones and the repro parts, and sometimes even more for the used ones.

One thing I can say about that 160 is it sat in my ex's living room for about 10 months once and it like didn't leak at all. I have no idea how that's possible. Yes it did have oil in it.

I think I remember you posting about this one, is it the one where the tail light is sometimes an integral part of the ignition circuit so the bike just won't run if that light blows out?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Safety feature

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Coydog posted:

You can get the whole kit for under 1000, and rip power wheelies everywhere. It's the go-to cheap power swap for minibikes. I didn't do it because I need my high output stator, but I would have saved a lot of expense if I had.

But for minibikes, you really want to zs190 a razkull, because but has a massive 3 gallon gas tank and is designed for carbed engines.

I know, but I dont want to spend that much now.
Edit: to clarify i live in small town in coastal oregon and i just want a small rear end scooter to putz around.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 9, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
You don't know electrical pain until you've worked on a first-gen Land Rover. Imagine all of the above except the boards are mostly Bakelite and so shatter into a million pieces if you look at them wrong, and India rubber insulation that degrades into that stuff that killed Tasha Yar, plus most things working by switching earth rather than live except for the few components like indicators where that might conceivably make sense.

Then add in the fact that most of them are ex-military so been maintained by REME, meaning all replacement parts were in fact sold straight to Silvermans and the originals just bodged up with sawdust and bodily fluids, and a 24V electrical system that a previous owner has "converted" to 12V so well that occasionally the alternator dumps 40-odd amps into the bodywork.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Combat Theory posted:

Miss me with that perfect and adjustable USD fork, steering damper and fuel injected air cooled Boxer. I want a Tele lever that breaks when I look at it too hard and an unsupported Kardan that makes me fear for my life when I accelerate in corners.

I joke but there are actual BMW riders in Germany that spouted this when the company decided to un Harley itself.

new stuff can be cool. old stuff can be cool too. its okay, friend. it’ll all be ok. now how about you lower that gun

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

I think I remember you posting about this one, is it the one where the tail light is sometimes an integral part of the ignition circuit so the bike just won't run if that light blows out?
That wasn't on the Ducati, no, but that's a fairly common feature on old mopeds. It actually is a "safety" device as Sagebrush suggested. The ignition source coil or the ignition coil itself will be grounded through the brake light when you pull a brake lever. Thus, if the brake light is out, then when you pull the brake lever the engine will stall, alerting you that your brake light is out. Except no normal human being, no one on earth except an emotionally unstable moped enthusiast, would ever imagine that "engine stalling" equals "brake bulb out."

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

That wasn't on the Ducati, no, but that's a fairly common feature on old mopeds. It actually is a "safety" device as Sagebrush suggested. The ignition source coil or the ignition coil itself will be grounded through the brake light when you pull a brake lever. Thus, if the brake light is out, then when you pull the brake lever the engine will stall, alerting you that your brake light is out. Except no normal human being, no one on earth except an emotionally unstable moped enthusiast, would ever imagine that "engine stalling" equals "brake bulb out."

i had an old junker of a moped I used in college that lost the whole taillight housing (fell off, got stolen by bored college kids, eaten by a bear, who tf knows) and I just figured it not wanting to idle was something with the carb that was over my head. I kept riding it with a bike rear taillight and no brakelight and just doing the final 5mph of braking by dragging both my shoes flat on the pavement (teenagers make smart healthy choices) when I sold it a few years later the dude who bought it was like “oh yeah that’s a thing, the brake light being gone is why” and I was like “oh yeah of course, why didn’t i intuit that, it dies at stoplights because the brake light is gone, as all internal combustion vehicles do”

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

The R9T is a pretty good looking bike and all, but if the air-cooled opposed twin in it is anything like the water-cooled version in my GS, I'd take a hard pass. Everything else about the bike is pretty much fine and dandy, the motor feels every bit like the heavily massaged 1940s era tractor lump it is

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You don't like the water boxer? What are you comparing it to? I thought it felt absolutely fantastic, almost like a Multistrada. For sure don't ever ride any BMW earlier than that, I can't even imagine how much you'd hate it. The new motor is a ridiculous improvement over every boxer before it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The 90's ones feel like two KLR's dancing and it isn't an entirely bad thing.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the GSA’s motor is so so boring compared to the LC8. their quickshifter sucks rear end compared to KTM’s as well

comfy bike though

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking at possibly trading my current bike(a 2016 V-Strom 1000) for a KTM 790 Duke and was wondering if anyone here had spent any time with the 790? I know it has a parallel twin engine which are generally a more boring engine type, but the reviews I've seen seem to think it's a pretty fun bike and I'm definitely in the market for something a little lighter and a bit more fun to ride on the road than the V-Strom and the 790 seems to slot in there quite well. Also the quick shifter and other goodies it has would be quite nice too.

I'm gonna be trying to arrange a test ride of one this weekend if the weather isn't horrible but I'd definitely like to hear from anyone here who rides or has ridden one and what they think about it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

You don't like the water boxer? What are you comparing it to? I thought it felt absolutely fantastic, almost like a Multistrada. For sure don't ever ride any BMW earlier than that, I can't even imagine how much you'd hate it. The new motor is a ridiculous improvement over every boxer before it.

The water boxer is perfectly serviceable, just thoroughly uninspiring. For me it's very reminiscent of the p-twin in the Super Tenere, which is another thoroughly dull lump. Just add a little side-to-side shake when you rev it while stopped.

I have a '14 Multistrada and the motor blows the one in my '15 GS out of the water, no pun intended. The GS is good down low and then feels like it peters out over 5K even though it gets up and moves just fine. Hence my comment why I don't think it's something I'd want in a bike like the R9T, or the RS or any other "sporty" bike.

right arm posted:

the GSA’s motor is so so boring compared to the LC8. their quickshifter sucks rear end compared to KTM’s as well

comfy bike though

Pretty much this. Quickshifter works OK minus having to stomp it to get it to downshift sometimes, though. Funny you mention comfort - it's a pain to stretch your legs w/o standing up because the jugs are in the way. Other than the motor + small complaints like this, the GS is a damned good bike. It handles amazingly well for being as big as it is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I ran sandblast a couple weekends ago and there was an R9T there. Dude was faster than me so I can't really comment other than to say that you are all very wrong and those bikes must be extraordinarily good and very very fast.

MaxBMW was actually pretty clever and brought a bunch of bikes and fast guys to ride them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbJ3EjFLxj4

I think they were hoping for a sweep of the podium but it turns out amateurs just aren't as fast as pros. Even older, ex-pros who... jfc so fast.

Anyway, the guy on the R9T wasn't quite as fast as the guy on the F850GS. Check out 2:08 of this if it doesn't go there automatically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUsmEtxrao&t=128s

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for some advice. I'm looking at possibly trading my current bike(a 2016 V-Strom 1000) for a KTM 790 Duke and was wondering if anyone here had spent any time with the 790? I know it has a parallel twin engine which are generally a more boring engine type, but the reviews I've seen seem to think it's a pretty fun bike and I'm definitely in the market for something a little lighter and a bit more fun to ride on the road than the V-Strom and the 790 seems to slot in there quite well. Also the quick shifter and other goodies it has would be quite nice too.

I'm gonna be trying to arrange a test ride of one this weekend if the weather isn't horrible but I'd definitely like to hear from anyone here who rides or has ridden one and what they think about it.

I've only been around one in a showroom. The demo rides in Texas at DFW got rained out. The next demo ride is in April down at COTA. Give us your impressions if you can get a test ride.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Skreemer posted:

I've only been around one in a showroom. The demo rides in Texas at DFW got rained out. The next demo ride is in April down at COTA. Give us your impressions if you can get a test ride.

I've just booked a test ride this weekend, as long as the weather doesn't ruin everything(lol it will, I live in England). Getting my Strom MOT'd at the nearest Suzuki place then booking it to the KTM place for the test ride should be a fun way to spend a Saturday at least.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd really like a triumph t100 except that it weighs 500 lbs and I won't get a bike that's much over 400. However, I heard Triumph is coming out with a new line of entry level bikes, does anyone know any more than that? All I'm seeing in google is year old rumours.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Honestly, for a light, powerful, modern retro, have you looked at the XSR700? I don't think there's a better bargain in the segment. It even sounds the part with a nice pipe. Unless you demand good suspension because you live at the end of the Isle of Man TT it's pretty much a perfect bike. Or at least I think so.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

Honestly, for a light, powerful, modern retro, have you looked at the XSR700? I don't think there's a better bargain in the segment. It even sounds the part with a nice pipe. Unless you demand good suspension because you live at the end of the Isle of Man TT it's pretty much a perfect bike. Or at least I think so.

They are the modem day SV in every way, right down to the garbage fork and too-light springs.

But the SV still exists and even comes in a retro bullshit version.

It's like when emo kids and goths awkwardly coexisted for a while as one era bleeds into another.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

mulligan posted:

I don't know if the demo day one I rode had an aftermarket (i assume not) but it sounded money as is. Was thoroughly pleased with my ride on it, it was a lot more fun in demo ride conditions than the MT-10.

If it wasn't for the fact that I still am in the phase of lusting for stupid amounts of power I'd be totally happy with one

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

They are the modem day SV in every way, right down to the garbage fork and too-light springs.

But the SV still exists and even comes in a retro bullshit version.

It's like when emo kids and goths awkwardly coexisted for a while as one era bleeds into another.

I got invited to a test drive on one and I was very happy with it, so were all the normal people.

Yeah I mean for someone used to a race prep aprilia with Öhlins tuned with unicorn blood on the eve of summer solstice by an old Norse spirit, sure the forks are soft, but for regular folks on the test drive (on a very twisty section of the island I live in) it was fine, I mean we’re not talking about an early fz09 here, but I didn’t feel I was bouncing all over the place. I guess once I’m old and jaded I might feel that way about affordable bikes. To a noob like me, all bikes just seem magical.

mulligan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 15, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah. You don't need super skills or wsbk replicas to tell good suspension from crap stuff. Most production bikes have pretty mediocre suspension, even a lot of the supposedly fancy ones, but chronic under-springing and under-damping seems to be exclusive to middleweight japanese bikes.

Common factory things that make suspension rubbish, in order of badness:
Damping rod forks
Under-springing
Single chamber shocks

Yamaha 700's tick all three boxes. The last two aren't that big a deal on the road unless you're super fat/very fast, the lack of cartridge forks is a killer though. Even harley don't make a bike with damping rod forks anymore and cartridge forks aren't even expensive so I really don't know what the gently caress beyond showa having a warehouse with a trillion damping plungers from 1992 they're trying to clear.

Like don't get me wrong, still an awesome bike to ride and by no means should anyone be put off by a random oval office on the internet not liking the suspension. But it is basically a yamaha SV and everyone knows you buy one of those with the understanding that the suspension is on the to-do list if you're keeping it for a long time or at all care about riding quickly. It's just one of the things that makes japanese bikes cheaper than euro stuff. The SV's front end was borderline in the late 90's, terrible suzuki :rolleyes: bullshit in the 2000's, laughably unacceptable for a 70hp in TYOOL 2019.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Razzled posted:

I don't know if the demo day one I rode had an aftermarket (i assume not) but it sounded money as is.

if it was a factory Yamaha demo day where they drive the bikes around on a semi to various dealers then yeah, it probably had a Yoshimura exhaust on it. Yamaha throws stuff from the accessories catalog on those bikes.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
For as much as you hate SVs atleast it's using god's engine configuration. the XSR/MTs are ptwins

Next weekend I get to test ride some KTM goodies. Super Duke 1290 R is first, and then a 690 and the 790 if I have time >:)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I have a 2017 SV, and it's definitely underdamped. It's also undersprung for my weight. I also like touring on back roads, which in Norway means poorly maintained tarmac a lot of the time. That makes it less than ideal, and I'm looking to replace it with 1250rs this summer. How terrible is this plan? I'm dad age and have the money to keep one.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I really wanna try out the 1250RS but I fear it's gonna sound like a sewing machine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Combat Theory posted:

I really wanna try out the 1250RS but I fear it's gonna sound like a sewing machine.

If the 1250s sound anything like the 1200 wasser-boxer then your fears are unfounded

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

Skreemer posted:

I just had my test ride on the Duke 790 and it was really good. Given I've been riding a V-Strom 1000 for the last three years it felt blisteringly fast and nimble by comparison. Accelerating when joining a fast road is hilarious fun, and it sounds great too even with the stock exhaust. The extra gadgets like the quickshifter and ride modes are great, although as I'm coming out of winter riding hibernation I thought it best not to turn off wheelie control or turn on supermoto mode on the test ride, but they would be incredibly tempting otherwise. Had a mostly upright seating position, but less so than the Strom. Not sure if the footpegs were small or just not where I was used to as I kept missing them.

My negative points are that it's more forward leaning than I'm used to which was a struggle at lower speeds, but something I'm sure I'd adjust to fast enough once I got off the rolling armchair that is the Strom. The other negative is the suspension which while the guy assured me it was great and perfect and very advanced was pretty dang stiff, and that's what most reviews I'd seen from bike mags online had said too. Forks aren't adjustable and you can only set the preload on the shock. I'm a heckin' chonker so that may not help the issue but it's definitely out there.

Overall it seems like a great bike and is almost certainly gonna be my next bike at some point in the coming months, I'd already have talked about buying one if Brexit wasn't hanging over everything like a particularly unwelcome spectre.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 4, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

puberty worked me over posted:

Should a TTR125 be able to withstand trail riding for a ~150lb rider?

e:
https://bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.aspx?Prod=320-YTR-1211
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/dual-sport-kit-yamaha-ttr125-electric-start.asp

It might be time to make a poor man's Beta 125 RR-S :dudsmile:

Yes.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So I think I want a new bike... and I think the bike I want is a Kawasaki Z900RS... is this a bad idea? Am I wrong for thinking this?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just ride it and see if you like it. They are good solid ordinary Japanese bikes underneath the styling, with the RS having the added benefit of actually good suspension and brakes.

Dynamically they are just a typical Kawasaki imo: good-enough handling to be fast and fun, super punchy engine. Ergonomics for me, a skinny tall person, were 'sports leather couch' so pretty good for IRL roads.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Just ride it and see if you like it. They are good solid ordinary Japanese bikes underneath the styling, with the RS having the added benefit of actually good suspension and brakes.

Dynamically they are just a typical Kawasaki imo: good-enough handling to be fast and fun, super punchy engine. Ergonomics for me, a skinny tall person, were 'sports leather couch' so pretty good for IRL roads.

Yeah I'll have to go try one out... I'm only about 5'10 so the seat height was a bit of a concern, but it looks like you can actually adjust it to around 31.5 inches which I should almost be able to flat foot. (I like how kawasaki is building adjustability into their bikes).

I'm looking for a do everything bike: spirited enough, maybe the occasional track day, comfortable on the highway but also in the city, etc etc etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Flat footing is something nobody ever needs to do for any reason and is purely a psychological crutch. If one set of toes can reach the ground you're tall enough.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It's a chore to have to get off the bike to move it backwards a little, though. Two toes is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Flat footing is something nobody ever needs to do for any reason and is purely a psychological crutch. If one set of toes can reach the ground you're tall enough.

I like to be able to and it's my money so