Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evil_bunnY posted:

OTOH your VTX reg prob has better ripple/spike management than your PDB because the end use is known.
You should still have a cap near the cam/vtx

yeah, I have to agree with that. Especially since I've moved on from cheapass banggood specials and pretty much exclusively use TBS stuff now. I sure they don't gently caress around with power management. I have no reason not to trust my poo poo anymore.

I usually run a big cap on the XT60 lead and hope for the best. My newest build is a 6s rig and it got the individual cap on the ESC treatment, what a pain in the rear end. Ended up 3d printing a little TPU base for the ESC to sit on with a semi circle cutout for the cap so it all sits nice and flat on the arm. I'm actually kind of proud of the stupid little flat piece so of course this is the only picture I have and it doesn't even really show them off. And my harddrive died so the CAD files are gone and I'll have to rebuild it if I ever want to print another one

:colbert: yeah every + and - connection got continuity tested SO MANY TIMES but my dedication to only blue ESC wires was maintained.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Golluk posted:

Shesh, stumbled across this video of an engineering project. 40" flying wing, 100g AUW, carrying a 60 gram payload, flies for 22 minutes, on a 2s 180mAh battery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSD69jdi2CE
His channel was really great. Unfortunately he was killed in a motorcycle accident recently :(

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

His channel was really great. Unfortunately he was killed in a motorcycle accident recently :(

drat, I didn't actually look at his channel. Didn't see that last video. I've broken that same guideline for riding a motorcycle, never ride fast through a road you haven't checked out first. I was lucky enough to only get some stitches.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 7, 2019

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Let me gently caress with it tonight and see. If you’ve got an up-down config working you might want to just configure the up as no flaps and be done with it tho
Yah it was pretty easy with just setting the switch to enable Mode: FLAPERON and even have them extend slowly. I obviously don't need two stage flaps for my DTFB planes but I dunno, what else is there to do with my free time? Learn to be a better pilot? Pffff. Who has time for that when I can program my ESC, transmitter, inputs, mixes, special functions, lua scripts, inav mixer, inav PIDs, OSD, goggles, and blackbox tools exports to do marginally useful things which I'll never be able to remember the switch combinations to activate them :-D

I'm happy to hear I didn't just miss a big glaring obvious inav channel offset feature. It still isn't too bad to set the switch's channel to basically be positive only in the transmitter.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Thanks for the tips everyone. It seems I've overestimated the sizes of the frames a bit (expected the FC/ESC/VTX stack to fit just fine but that was clearly not the case), so I'll look into a better fit with modular arms.
I'll also have another look at the camera. I knew that the Runcams had better image compared to the Caddx (judging from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuwijxRdq8A), but the Turtle seemed to have a bit less jello so it seemed like a solid choice. The complaints about the ribbon cable on the Runcams are also valid points for me. On the other hand the image quality is kind of crucial if I intend to record with it, so I'll have a think about this. If I were to go with the mini 2, how would I mount its 20 by 20 PCB?
As for the motors, I chose those while contemplating a 5S or 6S build and forgot to change them when going back to 4S, thanks for spottin that. 2300KV seems like a good bet for a first set, no?

e: that was not a camera comparison video, fixed

Leandros fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 8, 2019

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leandros posted:

If I were to go with the mini 2, how would I mount its 20 by 20 PCB?
As for the motors, I chose those while contemplating a 5S or 6S build and forgot to change them when going back to 4S, thanks for spottin that. 2300KV seems like a good bet for a first set, no?
3M double sided foam tape, it literally won't come off without ripping out a few SMD components. Or get a frame with 2 sets of stack holes.
Anywhere 2200 to 2500 will be ok to start with IMO.

CapnBry posted:

do marginally useful things which I'll never be able to remember the switch combinations to activate them :-D
Having voice announcers for every function is p much mandatory IMO.

I drive a crawler with lights, a 2-speed transfer case and independent front/rear diff lockers (plus throttle limits so I can pass the radio to a kid) and it used to take me 20 seconds of loving around every drat time I took it out.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 8, 2019

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I just ordered my stuff. Thanks again everyone. Will report back when everything arrives. Hopefully before end of next month as I'll be travelling to Nepal and I was hoping to take it with me.
-Changed the frame into a Martian II with spare arms and bottom/top plates (so many goddamn models to choose from, but this one had props from Oscar Liang and was one of the few I could find with spare parts)
-Went for the split mini 2
-Ordered a Matek PDB just in case
-Ordered 2 Tattu 4S 1550 75C batteries. How fast can I expect my crappy charger to actually charge them? The banggood page says 6A which would translate to some 15 minutes, but is this realistic?
-Added 2 spare motors as well
Now all I need to do is find a good shop near me with some girthy wires and I think I'm set....

evil_bunnY posted:

3M double sided foam tape, it literally won't come off without ripping out a few SMD components. Or get a frame with 2 sets of stack holes.
Anywhere 2200 to 2500 will be ok to start with IMO.
I might just stick it on the camera body then, or ask a colleague for a favour and 3d print a cage. I assume the camera PCB won't need to dissipate a lot of heat?

Leandros fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 8, 2019

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Leandros posted:

-Ordered 2 Tattu 4S 1550 75C batteries. How fast can I expect my crappy charger to actually charge them? The banggood page says 6A which would translate to some 15 minutes, but is this realistic?

It seems like they are rated for 5C charge rate (7.5A), but I don't think I've come across anyone who ever charges more than 2C (3 amp). 30 minutes at 2C isn't really all that long to wait, and will be far less stress on the battery. I usually go 1.5C, for about 45 minute charges.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leandros posted:

I just ordered my stuff. Thanks again everyone. Will report back when everything arrives. Hopefully before end of next month as I'll be travelling to Nepal and I was hoping to take it with me.
Eh if that’s your plan it’ll be in angle mode. You’ll be much better served by a commercial platform if you want to fly usefully a month from now.

Just store them at storage voltage or even a bit higher and push to 4.2V at 1 or 2C before you fly.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 8, 2019

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh if that’s your plan it’ll be in angle mode. You’ll be much better served by a commercial platform if you want to fly usefully a month from now.

I wasn't expecting to be a pro by then, just wishful thinking. If I'm not confident I'll just keep it at home. I'm taking a DSLR and a camcorder with me in any case.

Golluk posted:

It seems like they are rated for 5C charge rate (7.5A), but I don't think I've come across anyone who ever charges more than 2C (3 amp). 30 minutes at 2C isn't really all that long to wait, and will be far less stress on the battery. I usually go 1.5C, for about 45 minute charges.

I was expecting to need a night to charge one of them, but wanted to check how reality would pan out. I'll be sure to take it slow.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Get a parallel board and know what you are doing. You’ll be able to charge four packs in about 2 hours. Later when you move up to a better charger like a Q6 you’ll be able to do 4 packs in less than an hour.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Leandros posted:

I wasn't expecting to be a pro by then, just wishful thinking. If I'm not confident I'll just keep it at home. I'm taking a DSLR and a camcorder with me in any case.

I was expecting to need a night to charge one of them, but wanted to check how reality would pan out. I'll be sure to take it slow.

Thankfully no! Lipo are pretty efficient with energy in/energy out. Like 90% range. And take a pretty high charge rate. In comparison, 2.5Ah AA NiMh batteries usually recommend 1/10th C or 250mA. While your safe charge rate, for about half the capacity, is 1.5A for the Lipo.

Easily 1/3rd of the charge time is in the last 10% capacity, where the charger has to lower the current to keep the voltage under 4.2v. You could charge those at 2A no problem, stop once it drops to 1A, and have 95% capacity in 15 minutes, assuming you charged them back to storage voltage (3.85) after the previous flight.

Is that an imax b6 charger you have?

Golluk fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 8, 2019

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Get a 308Duo and charge an imperial shitload of 4S 1500mah packs at once in series/parallel. You can do 30A and 8S per channel, and there's two channels. That's 40 batteries in about 45 minutes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Golluk posted:

Out in the field, I usually use 3-4C for my smaller lipos (1000-1300mAh). The discharge is far harder on the lipo anyway.

Also never charge lipos unattended.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
gently caress that, get a 4010 and make some series adapters as well. You’ll be able to do just over 90 5S packs in an hour.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Golluk posted:

Is that an imax b6 charger you have?

Not yet, but indeed I ordered it today. Cheapest one with everything included (ie an AC transformer) which was only €20 or so. I'll be sure to do some eyes-on charging for the first couple times to confirm it checks out, because I'm actually kind of wary of what I ordered now, considering it's about half of the next charger I could find. Economy of scale, I hope.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Leandros posted:

Not yet, but indeed I ordered it today. Cheapest one with everything included (ie an AC transformer) which was only €20 or so. I'll be sure to do some eyes-on charging for the first couple times to confirm it checks out, because I'm actually kind of wary of what I ordered now, considering it's about half of the next charger I could find. Economy of scale, I hope.

Pretty much. I have the older version, and still use it regularly. I really only was limited once I got a 4s 4Ah battery, since 80W limits it to 1.2C charge rate. The discharge power is also pretty low at 5W, but usually there isn't a big hurry for that.

In your case, it would be nice if it handled 8s, so you could series charge two of your batteries. Though you'd bump into the 80W limit at only 1.5C.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Out in the field, I usually use 3-4C for my smaller lipos (1000-1300mAh). The discharge is far harder on the lipo anyway.

I have some 3s 1500mAh for a flying wing, It's unnerving to think of pumping 6A into those. But as you say, they'll put out way more than that in the air.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Leandros posted:

Unless you’re charging your lipos in a bunker never ever leave them unattended.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless you’re charging your lipos in a bunker never ever leave them unattended.

I have charged batteries unattended. But I did so on a concrete slab. Outside.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
The fire parts pretty easy to contain, but that smoke is not something you'd want filling up your home.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

I have charged batteries unattended. But I did so on a concrete slab. Outside.
Yeah that's what I mean.

Golluk posted:

The fire parts pretty easy to contain, but that smoke is not something you'd want filling up your home.
LOL if it goes when you're near 4.2 the fire is something to behold.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

I have a roomy concrete balcony with no flammable material, should be good :shobon:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Leandros posted:

I have a roomy concrete balcony with no flammable material, should be good :shobon:

Maybe I'll swing by and see if I can bring this terminally obese Life 1800 pack back from the grave. It still has a volt per cell, couple hours on NiCad charge and it might yet live!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

So I didn't know all the history around this guy and decided to do some digging. Boy... does he really like to call anyone and everyone "tards" lol

Still haven't found exactly what you were referring to though :shrug:

timecop is the guy who made all these stm32 based / arm-based quads possible because he did the initial heavy lifting to port multiwii to stm32. He was also a major proponent of pushing off of PPM input to CPPM or SBUS.

He also pointed out that KISS one-shot, 1000+ mhz sampling rates were all bullshit because there were much bigger forces acting on the copters' flight for input / esc sampling rates to make a bit of difference. IE what's the point of the FC telling the ESC to change speed a billion times per second if the motor itself is incapable of overcoming the rotational inertia of the prop? Etc etc etc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oneshot was actually interesting, because it shaved off some latency (2ms -> 0.25ms). It's been noticeable in the autotune plots over on our firmware. You're probably thinking of Multishot (0.25ms -> 0.05ms).

As far as everything else you said, you're right. Some people kept harping on various of these points, but *flight knows best was the usual story. I guess it's understandable to some degree, since it's hobbyists at work, but when you rub scientific/research literature under their noses and they go "But muh feelz", what can you do.

At least they're slowly coming to realize that they've been doing a lot of things suboptimally. It's just annoying that their new findings, that hold more to real life, are being treated as revelations. Like the useless oversampling (suddenly Nyquist was right after all) or the upcoming curve mapping of outputs (motors aren't linear, no poo poo).

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oneshot was actually interesting, because it shaved off some latency (2ms -> 0.25ms). It's been noticeable in the autotune plots over on our firmware. You're probably thinking of Multishot (0.25ms -> 0.05ms).

As far as everything else you said, you're right. Some people kept harping on various of these points, but *flight knows best was the usual story. I guess it's understandable to some degree, since it's hobbyists at work, but when you rub scientific/research literature under their noses and they go "But muh feelz", what can you do.

At least they're slowly coming to realize that they've been doing a lot of things suboptimally. It's just annoying that their new findings, that hold more to real life, are being treated as revelations. Like the useless oversampling (suddenly Nyquist was right after all) or the upcoming curve mapping of outputs (motors aren't linear, no poo poo).

Yeah, it's the downside to all these new projects. Each one tends to forget half the realities of the previous ones.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It turns out that submerging my main rig in snow while it was above freezing then continuing to fly may have permanently affected the VTX as it keeps going to sleep mid flight. Hmmmm.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clear nail polish is an A+ silicone coating substitute FYI

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Modern inav with the new servo config is actually the bomb, TYVM

Arduplane has had a proper servo config forever however

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

timecop is the guy who made all these stm32 based / arm-based quads possible because he did the initial heavy lifting to port multiwii to stm32. He was also a major proponent of pushing off of PPM input to CPPM or SBUS.

He also pointed out that KISS one-shot, 1000+ mhz sampling rates were all bullshit because there were much bigger forces acting on the copters' flight for input / esc sampling rates to make a bit of difference. IE what's the point of the FC telling the ESC to change speed a billion times per second if the motor itself is incapable of overcoming the rotational inertia of the prop? Etc etc etc.

I always rolled my eyes seeing the insane PID loop rates, sensor sample rates, and ESC update rates. I think the new RPM filtering is a welcome change, sounds like things are coming back to reality. Too bad to get the RPM filtering working, they invented yet another ESC communication format. *sigh*

moron izzard posted:

iNav is also very wonky about servo trim, last I checked anyway. It does that weird averaging thing where it tries to guess what your servo trims are set to. It's just dumb.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The RPM filtering still uses DShot, which isn't that new (anymore). The new change is that it sends telemetry data back over the PWM pin after receiving a command.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

That's great then, should be compatible with existing hardware I would hope.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
enough about dshot filtering thats just the new hotness, get onto the NEW new hotness 90 degree offset gyros:

https://www.banggood.com/IFlight-SucceX-F7-TwinG-STM32F722RET6-Flight-Controller-W-OSD-Dual-ICM20689-Gyro-Blackbox-p-1433720.html

Does anybody know about this? It's not a dual gyro that you select in CLI, they work simultaneously with Betaflight. So says the specs page. Sounds kinda like what that dRonin goon was working on a while ago

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Why did I2C not take off for FC -> ESC connections? High speed, existing hardware peripherials for CPU offload, bidirectional. Is it the fixed addressing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Sounds kinda like what that dRonin goon was working on a while ago
Yeah, my test board had four of them at 30° angles.

The effect was noticeable but minimal. Looked like it did some minor reductions of Gaussian type of noises (electrical and thermal).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Timecop also has a major grudge over betaflight for years and should be taken with a grain of salt. While he should certainly be credited for the initial work, he has frankly been irrelevant since then.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

moron izzard posted:

Yes but also ‘spensive FC’s until recently. It’s v neat but way too much for what I needed at the time (make this plane go straight kthx).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Just get one of these?
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=129

No programming, no messing around with interface, etc.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Just get one of these?
https://www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76&product_id=129

No programming, no messing around with interface, etc.

Had that one a flying wing for a while. Works great for launching and landing. You can turn stabilization on or off with one of the channels. I'm moving off DSM2/DSMX though, so switching over to a FC.

Edit: I had an older version that was just DSM2.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:cthulhu:DSMX:cthulhu: