Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, I'm waiting for A Christmas Prince: Ethnic In-Law

Followed by A Christmas Prince: Royal Hannukah, Christmas Princes: Holiday War, and A Christmas PRINCESS: Trans-mas Surprise. Go full exploitation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The War On A Christmas Prince

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

The Christmas Prince Truce

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

His enemy is A Holiday Prince.

Can't wait for the spinoff An Eid Prince.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

1.) I thought that Robert Rodriguez "$7000 movie" claim was pretty roundly agreed to be bullshit self-aggrandizing that ignored how much film equipment, talent, and locations he had access to free of charge because of his family connections and friends. It's like those DIY guides who boast about being able to make furniture for free and then are posted by people who work in lumber yards and have easy access to bunch of professional equipment and materials that would cost thousands of dollars to any regular person.

2.) Will I be lost if I skip the last 8 Red movies and go right to this one

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

how much film equipment, talent, and locations he had access to free of charge because of his family connections and friends

This is every scrappy indie no budget movie.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's especially fun with effects-driven movies like Upstream Color and Monsters where the reason they cost almost nothing to make is because the people making them were able to do their own CGI on their own time for nothing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Guy Mann posted:

That's especially fun with effects-driven movies like Upstream Color and Monsters where the reason they cost almost nothing to make is because the people making them were able to do their own CGI on their own time for nothing.

Was there any CGI in Upstream Color? Was the flower in the swimming pool done with computers?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Guy Mann posted:

1.) I thought that Robert Rodriguez "$7000 movie" claim was pretty roundly agreed to be bullshit self-aggrandizing that ignored how much film equipment, talent, and locations he had access to free of charge because of his family connections and friends. It's like those DIY guides who boast about being able to make furniture for free and then are posted by people who work in lumber yards and have easy access to bunch of professional equipment and materials that would cost thousands of dollars to any regular person.

The version of El Mariachi distributed by Columbia Pictures (a.k.a. the only version anyone who wasn't doing regional film festival circuits in the early '90s even saw) actually had significant post-production work done on it that amounted to about $200,000. At least some Guardian article claims that.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dude, sweet.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Byzantine posted:

Dude, sweet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, but it's a pretty solid marketing technique for those who have never done a deeper dive into the claim.

Also, I'm shocked at how much they made Elizabeth Moss look like a 25 year old Heather Graham there.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ManaByte/status/1105504788160999424

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I too noticed that a poster for a blockbuster movie had a blue and orange color scheme with a bunch of faces on it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Isn't Clerks a rare instance of actually only costing what they said? Kevin's story was that he got 3 credit cards worth about 10K each, and spent 27K.

Although because it's a Miramax movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they messed around with it thoroughly after buying it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't Clerks a rare instance of actually only costing what they said? Kevin's story was that he got 3 credit cards worth about 10K each, and spent 27K.

Although because it's a Miramax movie, I wouldn't be surprised if they messed around with it thoroughly after buying it.

Music licensing definitely cost a pretty penny. I'm pretty sure the cut that Smith took to festivals didn't even have any music.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

one of the best jokes I've ever heard: "Clerks is the lowest budget movie to ever make people say 'man where did all that money go?' "

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

one of the best jokes I've ever heard: "Clerks is the lowest budget movie to ever make people say 'man where did all that money go?' "

I used to joke that about half the budget went to cigarettes and weed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know Napoleon Dynamite was ridiculously cheap to make. The extra bonus credits scene they filmed after MTV picked it up cost more than the rest of the movie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

K. Waste posted:

Music licensing definitely cost a pretty penny. I'm pretty sure the cut that Smith took to festivals didn't even have any music.

The soundtrack cost almost more than shooting the whole film.

(I wont complain because I love the Clerks ost)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the budget for Primer was really small because the only thing they actually put money into was the film stock they used.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the budget for Primer was really small because the only thing they actually put money into was the film stock they used.

Iirc they had enough 16mm for 1.5 takes of every setup. So basically half the shots in the film only got one take.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

I too noticed that a poster for a blockbuster movie had a blue and orange color scheme with a bunch of faces on it.

Ha, yeah, the topic that started this very thread [checks the OP] seven years ago.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dillbag posted:

Iirc they had enough 16mm for 1.5 takes of every setup. So basically half the shots in the film only got one take.

I've heard that almost every frame they shot for Night of the Living Dead they shot is in the final cut. Like, editing was 90% pasting their complete footage together.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Disney continues to be terrible.

And why isn't Will Smith blue in that?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
A bunch of stuff:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Slutitution posted:

Disney continues to be terrible.

And why isn't Will Smith blue in that?

From the new trailer it looks like he stops being blue almost immediately.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

The dude that fell on Jack Burton's knife had his own movie?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Distorted Kiwi posted:

A bunch of stuff:

A laser sight on a stone crusher

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A laser coming directly out of a scope.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Nice to have the runtime on the poster so you know how much Breen for your buck you're getting

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

So Neil Breen finally figured out that he doesn't really need other actors when he can digitally duplicate himself?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Samuel Clemens posted:

So Neil Breen finally figured out that he doesn't really need other actors when he can digitally duplicate himself?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BfsbZOuTI

Hey there are definitely other actors here! :mad:

And an eagle!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BfsbZOuTI

Hey there are definitely other actors here! :mad:

And an eagle!!

That’s a digital eagle, that Breen mo capped

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Going by the title I thought the movie was about testicular torsion.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lobok posted:

Going by the title I thought the movie was about testicular torsion.

Neil Breen can have that effect.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I love how his name is slightly bigger than the rest of the cast's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012