Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hi again! Thanks for all the help with the table saw.

What do people think about Freud as a brand for routers? Is $200 for a 3.5hp and a table reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kid sinister posted:

Depending on how loud your cutter is, you may want ear plugs too. I was cutting 1/16" aluminum yesterday with Dremel cut off wheels without ear plugs in and my ears are still ringing.

Oh yea I have over ear protection I use all the time. Think the particulate mask is good enough? Did you use something special for your aluminum? I thought you had to be really careful cutting some kind of metal but I forget which

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oh yea I have over ear protection I use all the time. Think the particulate mask is good enough? Did you use something special for your aluminum? I thought you had to be really careful cutting some kind of metal but I forget which

Cutting not really, welding galvanized will kill ya quick. Metal dust is also heavier than say saw dust so it doesn't really sit in the air.

I have nothing to back this up so grain of salt and all that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Grumpwagon posted:

Hi again! Thanks for all the help with the table saw.

What do people think about Freud as a brand for routers? Is $200 for a 3.5hp and a table reasonable?

New? That's 15 amps, right? They always cheat on those estimates. Still, Yes.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

JEEVES420 posted:

Cutting not really, welding galvanized will kill ya quick. Metal dust is also heavier than say saw dust so it doesn't really sit in the air.

I have nothing to back this up so grain of salt and all that.

Ok I'm going for it today. If I never make a good post again it's because I cut steel and got brain damage thanks to jeeves and kid sinister (if anyone can think of something I'm missing about using a heavy duty angle grinder, particle respirator, goggles and ear pro for cutting rusty 1/16th steel please quote this and say Stop)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok I'm going for it today. If I never make a good post again it's because I cut steel and got brain damage thanks to jeeves and kid sinister (if anyone can think of something I'm missing about using a heavy duty angle grinder, particle respirator, goggles and ear pro for cutting rusty 1/16th steel please quote this and say Stop)
You’re gonna be fine. Long sleeves or welding leathers will help with the sparks. If you have a face shield/welding mask that helps if the disks blow up (they like to if you’re cutting a curve especially). You don’t really need a respirator but it never hurts.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

You’re gonna be fine. Long sleeves or welding leathers will help with the sparks. If you have a face shield/welding mask that helps if the disks blow up (they like to if you’re cutting a curve especially). You don’t really need a respirator but it never hurts.

Great. I'm pretty experienced with a cutoff but getting older and starting to think a little more about what I'm actually doing instead of hitting it hard and getting it done.

Now to test the threads second favorite brand harbor freight. The price was right on their bauer wheels heres hoping. If it goes anything like their yellow bee rc plane... I'm flying! It's working! Uh oh

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

mds2 posted:

I have one of these. It’s fun as hell.

now you get a new one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
you guys have a recommendation for air compressor desiccant systems?
I just need clean, dry air to clean out some computers and spray paint. It doesn't need to be bone dry, I just don't want to be spraying my servers with pressurized mist.
I don't think I need a multi-stage system, more like just a water trap and filter probably.

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Release-Campbell-Hausfeld-PA212103AV/dp/B0000CBINA/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

you guys have a recommendation for air compressor desiccant systems?
I just need clean, dry air to clean out some computers and spray paint. It doesn't need to be bone dry, I just don't want to be spraying my servers with pressurized mist.
I don't think I need a multi-stage system, more like just a water trap and filter probably.

I was thinking something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Filter-Release-Campbell-Hausfeld-PA212103AV/dp/B0000CBINA/

I use one of these to paint some equipment: https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-desiccant-dryer-with-oil-removal-filter-69923.html

And the older version of it from HF to paint a car.

Both worked fine, but are pretty restrictive. I assume better quality ones don't cut down your airflow so much.

Didn't matter for painting - I still had plenty of air.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Any thoughts on router tables? I don't have a ton of space so I'm looking at benchtop tables. The Bosch RA1181 seems pretty well reviewed/fully featured for an entry level table. The Kreg PRS2100 comes with fewer accessories out of the box, but is maybe more solid and generally a bit higher quality?

The price difference isn't much of a concern, so I'm leaning towards the Kreg. The Kreg's MDF top seems like an upgrade over the Bosch's questionably flat aluminum, but I might just be falling for Kreg marketing. I'd also like to reduce the amount of cheap/fiddly plastic stuff. Any suggestion?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I just skipped like 60 pages, so my apologies if this has been discussed recently. I have a lot of corded power tools - I've been of the opinion that I generally don't need cordless tools, and I like to buy stuff once and use it forever. I am going to be doing some work in the woods though where a cordless drill and circular saw would be super useful, and so I'm thinking about buying into a battery system but don't know what's good these days.

I want powerful tools that aren't going to stall out on me cutting or drilling wet PT 4x4s. I don't mind if they're on the more expensive side of the range, and I don't mind if I have to buy a few battery and keep them charged to swap out as they die. I will probably want to add an impact driver and maybe a reciprocating saw as well down the road.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Really any of the big name players will work there. Dewalt, Mikita, Bosch, etc. I bought into Bosch myself, mostly cause I had the drills already.
I found with the budget brands, a lot of their tools were fine but the batteries were poo poo and didn't last.

I was sick of my circular saws binding as well and bought a worm drive style saw this year. The difference is night and day. It has its downsides compared to sidewinder style for sure, but the added torque means it never binds on me and that's a trade off I am thrilled about.
In the end I'm glad I own one of each, but I think the worm drive will see far more use.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah I think the biggest suggestion I can make. Think out what tools you want, to check them out, and pick a single brand. Having a mix really sucks when it comes to batteries especially if you’re going to be backpacking it somewhere.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
My corded circular saw is a worm drive, and it's great (although heavy). I'm definitely looking at it as buying into a particular battery ecosystem, which is why I figured I'd ask first if there were any compelling arguments for one vs the others.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Alternative response for woods tools: Riobi. They're not going to last 20 years, but when you leave one out in the woods or run over it with the 4 wheeler, or, or, or, you won't be out a bunch of cash. Plus they have all sorts of weird but useful tools.

But if you want tools that will last you more than a decade and can take some abuse, what ^^^ said. Data set of one: The batteries from my DeWalt set that I bought in 2005 are just now getting flakey.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ryobi has the worst battery capacity and cutting power out of any of the cordless circular saws. Don't go ryobi ever imo unless you're just doing super light around the house work. Want to blow some leaves out of your driveway and hang some pictures? Sure buy into the battery system on fathers day. Want to do anything else? No

Armorer I'm sure you've thought of this but those little honda generators are pretty sweet if where you're trying to get to isn't too far out

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

armorer posted:

My corded circular saw is a worm drive, and it's great (although heavy). I'm definitely looking at it as buying into a particular battery ecosystem, which is why I figured I'd ask first if there were any compelling arguments for one vs the others.

I always wondered why regular circular saws were intuitively made for left handers, but worm drive and the like were right handed? Ryboobi aren't nearly as bad as some would make them. Also, given the battery price differential, you can bring along 2 or 3 batteries.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!
I didn’t realize there was a left/right handed thing on circular saws until last year I picked up one of the dewalt cordless sets last year. I’m right handed and being able to see the blade is real nice, I wouldn’t want to go back to a left handed one

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Armorer I'm sure you've thought of this but those little honda generators are pretty sweet if where you're trying to get to isn't too far out

Yeah, I've considered that and it would work, but I'll be building a fairly complex tree fort (that will double as tree stand sometimes) and so I think cordless will make life easier if I need to do any work up in the tree.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I guess if I was buying new tools I’d go either Milwaukee or Makita for 18 volt.

The Hitachi/Metabo HPT multivolt line look neat since they sell an adaptor that lets you run them off corded power.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ryobi has the worst battery capacity and cutting power out of any of the cordless circular saws. Don't go ryobi ever imo unless you're just doing super light around the house work. Want to blow some leaves out of your driveway and hang some pictures? Sure buy into the battery system on fathers day. Want to do anything else? No

Nah they're fine.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Anyone have any experience with cheap (~$30 or less) wood moisture meters? I've had a fairly substantial leak and I'd like to probe everything in the area to get a sense of how well it's drying and how far I need to go with my demolition.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheBananaKing posted:

Anyone have any experience with cheap (~$30 or less) wood moisture meters? I've had a fairly substantial leak and I'd like to probe everything in the area to get a sense of how well it's drying and how far I need to go with my demolition.

I use one for firewood. Seems to work fine. Just a cheap one off of Amazon.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

TheBananaKing posted:

Cheap ones work but the leads tend to not get deep into the wood. They are great for drywall though. I have a harbor freight one and it works well enough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

JEEVES420 posted:

Cheap ones work but the leads tend to not get deep into the wood. They are great for drywall though. I have a harbor freight one and it works well enough.

For what it's worth, this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008V6I840/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pins are small diameter and pretty sharp. I don't know how that compares to a good one, but it seems to read accurately enough.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Motronic posted:

I use one for firewood. Seems to work fine. Just a cheap one off of Amazon.

What's the rule of thumb on that? Besides keep your thumbs clear of the chainsaw nyuk nyuk nyuk

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

What's the rule of thumb on that? Besides keep your thumbs clear of the chainsaw nyuk nyuk nyuk

Anything over 20% is pretty awful to burn. Mid teens seems to work well.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Do we have a thread for lawnmowers? Is this it? I'm going to replace my ancient Poulan and I'm thinking about going with a battery powered one. Is this a terrible idea?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I bought one last year and I freaking love it.

If you have a small yard you should definitely get an electric or battery powered lawn mower.

I got a the Snapper brushless 60v system on clearance last year and it’s all great. It’s made by greenworks and just rebranded.

I dislike dealing with small gas engines so I switched from corded electric to battery and am happy I did so

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pershing posted:

Do we have a thread for lawnmowers? Is this it? I'm going to replace my ancient Poulan and I'm thinking about going with a battery powered one. Is this a terrible idea?
I absolutely love my ryobi electric mower, but yeah, it's not for bigger yards. I get about half an hour of use off the battery. It's light as a feather though, effortless to push, and quiet enough that I can mow whatever time of day I like. Mulches very well.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Slugworth posted:

I absolutely love my ryobi electric mower, but yeah, it's not for bigger yards. I get about half an hour of use off the battery. It's light as a feather though, effortless to push, and quiet enough that I can mow whatever time of day I like. Mulches very well.

Yeah, the yard size thing isn't a problem at all, mine's not that big at all. I like the Ryobi for the price but is doesn't side discharge and I hate dealing with bagged clippings. Looking at the Consumer Reports rankings their top three is an E-Go followed by a Black and Decker followed by a Husqvarna.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
I have a tiny yard and also hate maintaining small gas engines and my ego has held up really well. It's almost terrifying holding a 56v Liion battery with 5Ah of capacity in your hands, but after several weeks of it not blowing up nor electrocuting me I've gotten pretty used to it. It charges in about 30 minutes and lasts the same with the motor running.

The one thing I've had an issue with is that the mower doesn't hold up quite as well to very tall grass as a gas motor and it will start to overheat and force you to rest for a while. It also has trouble keeping the blades going fast enough in taller grass and will give you a somewhat uneven cut on the first pass if you've neglected the lawn for a while. I still think it beats loving with a flooded carburetor and I wouldn't readily switch back to gas unless I had a larger yard. I've got 1/4 acre lot but only about 75% of that is lawn.

Motronic posted:

For what it's worth, this is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008V6I840/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The pins are small diameter and pretty sharp. I don't know how that compares to a good one, but it seems to read accurately enough.

Thanks, that's cheaper than one I was looking at and it claims to have better accuracy.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

You guys had some bad luck with gas-powered mowers. I had an old Toro that I beat the crap out of and about the only maintenance I ever did was change the oil every once in a while and make sure to burn the last of the gas in the tank before winter. Thing always started on the first or second pull.

Small 2-strokes on the other hand...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
While we're in the vicinity, conversation-wise: I want to get a battery-powered string trimmer. I already have a bunch of Makita tools, so I'd like to stay with their ecosystem. They have two trimmers: one that takes one battery and costs $100, and one that takes two and costs $220 (both prices are tool-only). I assume the latter is for heavier duty and bigger yards. My needs are pretty light. Am I going to regret getting the smaller one?

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

B-Nasty posted:

You guys had some bad luck with gas-powered mowers. I had an old Toro that I beat the crap out of and about the only maintenance I ever did was change the oil every once in a while and make sure to burn the last of the gas in the tank before winter. Thing always started on the first or second pull.

Small 2-strokes on the other hand...

Oh yeah, the Poulan i'm replacing had a great old Briggs and Stratton motor on it, it was built in the late 90's/early 00's and ran forever. I got it second hand after my granddad died, the piston rings finally wore out and the thing died. Good mower that lived a full life.

I'm going electric only in part for the environmental stuff and never having to buy gas. The big reason is that electricity is super cheap where I live and that it will mean I only have one corded lawncare item left (looking at you, leaf blower),

^^^Trimmers-wise I use an 18 volt Ryobi trimmer. It does eat up battery power but I just compensate by keeping extras charged. Never regretted saving money by not going 40V.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While we're in the vicinity, conversation-wise: I want to get a battery-powered string trimmer. I already have a bunch of Makita tools, so I'd like to stay with their ecosystem. They have two trimmers: one that takes one battery and costs $100, and one that takes two and costs $220 (both prices are tool-only). I assume the latter is for heavier duty and bigger yards. My needs are pretty light. Am I going to regret getting the smaller one?

If you're just planning on using it to trim grass I'm sure it'll be fine, only reason I could see to need more power is if you'll be doing brush work or edging.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

I have both. The small one is fine for simple grass work. For bushes / black berries I use the 2x18v one with a metal blade attached.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Some of the cheaper battery powered trimmers have the motor at the bottom of the shaft. This is not ideal, as the motor needs vents which will clog with grass clippings. I would get the cheapest lithium powered with the motor unit at the top of the tool, that also allows you to remove the bump head. I believe the 60 or 80 volt models mostly have this. That way, you aren't locked into using the manufacturer's bump head and can swap it for say an aluminum disk head, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pershing posted:

I like the Ryobi for the price but is doesn't side discharge

They also sell a sawzall... :haw: