Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paper Kaiju posted:

I especially love the part where the moon people demand the astronauts give them the cats for no reason other than they find them intriguing; a plot point that has no payoff and never comes up again.

Turns out the moon people were especially susceptible to toxoplasmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This time we've only got ten episodes of the old MST3K on Netflix (US):

The Day the Earth Froze
Hobgoblins
The Beatniks
Sinister Urge
Bride of the Monster
The Incredibly Strange Creatures etc.
Gunslinger
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
The Beast of Yucca Flats
The Atomic Brain

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the atomic brain is so underrated.

(to the music) "she's old. she creaks. she pops. she's so. dang old."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mr. Fowl posted:

The Day the Earth Froze
Hobgoblins
The Beatniks
Sinister Urge
Bride of the Monster
Gunslinger
The Beast of Yucca Flats
The Atomic Brain

VRV meanwhile has 78 episodes available for streaming

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the atomic brain is so underrated.

(to the music) "she's old. she creaks. she pops. she's so. dang old."

Paul Chaplin was really funny. He also gave us "there's a girl on the roof/and she thinks she's a cat" etc. I wonder where he got off to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

VRV meanwhile has 78 episodes available for streaming

What is VRV?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

What is VRV?

It's a multi-platform multi-channel streaming service. Their big thing is probably anime site Crunchyroll.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Paul Chaplin was really funny. He also gave us "there's a girl on the roof/and she thinks she's a cat" etc. I wonder where he got off to.

I think he's still in Minneapolis

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There’s also a ton of episodes on Shout Factory TV.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mr. Fowl posted:

The Day the Earth Froze
Hobgoblins
The Beatniks
Sinister Urge
Bride of the Monster
Gunslinger
The Beast of Yucca Flats
The Atomic Brain

Did they pull down Manos and Space Mutiny? I remember the last time, they took down half of the episodes and left the rest up.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Cemetry Gator posted:

Did they pull down Manos and Space Mutiny? I remember the last time, they took down half of the episodes and left the rest up.

Yup, these are the only ones up at this moment.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Just finished Laserblast, and man that was a trip, though the movie itself has to have been one of the most pointless I've ever seen, also man they just were merciless to Leonard Maltin for giving that movie two and a half stars

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Don't worry, Maltin pops up later to get back at them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
he deserves every minute for giving that pile of poo poo 2.5 stars

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just at least hope WE'RE ALL READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm excited that the Beast of Yucca Flats in included. After all, why not watch one of the most spitefully hateful films ever produced?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

"When you saw this movie, you laughed so hard you spilled your bong water, didn't ya, Mike?" :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm excited that the Beast of Yucca Flats in included. After all, why not watch one of the most spitefully hateful films ever produced?

Fun fact is that the opening really did have nothing to do with anything and according to Tony Cardoza it was just something that Coleman Francis wanted to film.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So anyone here in this thread who owns a more or less complete collection of the show on DVD, cause that's something I'd love to accomplish some day(currently only have Volume 1), but man it definitely feels intimidating about the prospect of hunting down 40 something DVD sets*

*the 39 numbered volumes, plus the Singles Collection, The Movie, and Season 11 if my research is correct

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Coleman lose the soundtrack for the movie?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Idk about most hateful. Red Zone Cuba is a little bit worse.

Dawgstar posted:

Didn't Coleman lose the soundtrack for the movie?

I don't it was lost so much as it never existed in the first place.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

drrockso20 posted:

So anyone here in this thread who owns a more or less complete collection of the show on DVD, cause that's something I'd love to accomplish some day(currently only have Volume 1), but man it definitely feels intimidating about the prospect of hunting down 40 something DVD sets*

*the 39 numbered volumes, plus the Singles Collection, The Movie, and Season 11 if my research is correct

I think I’m only missing 7 sets, mostly #s 30+. Just wait for the occasional amazon sales that bring them down to $25 or less. I also make a habit of always buying earlier stuff first since some of the SF sets are OOP now.

Occasionally I’ll find them in places like Half-Price Books too. That’s how I ended up with most of my Rhino sets.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, at least in Red Zone Cuba Justine is alive at the end.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

YOU shove off! <:mad:>

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of Coleman, I had forgotten how much adultery was in Skydivers. The answer is all of it.

I once used it as somebody's first MST3K and that was a bit of a mistake on my part. People need to be eased into Francis' canon.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

muscles like this! posted:

Well, at least in Red Zone Cuba Justine is alive at the end.
Do not reveal the incredible secret of Red Zone Cuba!

Because of the talk about it earlier, I rewatched I Accuse My Parents, and then The Violent Years for some more teen crime with judges lecturing parents. Both such great episodes (and shorts).

Crow shouting "COMMUNISM!" in TVY has to be one of my favorite one-word riffs. Why were the communists so interested in petty vandalism of a classroom anyway? 🤔

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I've gotten to the age where I watch the beginning of I Accuse My Parents and i'm like, good for those parents for getting out and having a life

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 16, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Same thing with The Violent Years. At least they're not actively abusing the kids. Oh no an absent parent, the worst thing in the world.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'd like to see a remake of Gunslinger. It's a totally interesting premise, it's just executed really poorly.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I think that Leonard Maltin farmed out some of the reviews to other people, so who is the SF reviewer that really loved Laserblast?

Who has the more pointless role? Roddy MacDowell in that film, or anybody in Giant Spider Invasion? In the latter, everyone is subtracting from more time spent on the PACKERS

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Jet Jaguar posted:

I think that Leonard Maltin farmed out some of the reviews to other people, so who is the SF reviewer that really loved Laserblast?

The late Bill Warren did the sci-fi reviews for Maltin, and from the tone of his other writing about sci-fi movies, you could tell he graded even low-rent stuff on a curve. He wasn't a fan of MST3k, to say the very least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

EasyEW posted:

The late Bill Warren did the sci-fi reviews for Maltin, and from the tone of his other writing about sci-fi movies, you could tell he graded even low-rent stuff on a curve. He wasn't a fan of MST3k, to say the very least.

Yeah his opinions on MST3K are definitely wrong, though his book certainly seems interesting(just placed a request for it at my local library)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Keep Watching The Skies tipped me off that the MSTed edit of Teenagers From Outer Space cut out a pre-credits sequence with the most interesting special effect in the whole movie, where the alien ship screwed itself into the ground when it landed. So I owe him that much, at least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Keep Watching The Skies tipped me off that the MSTed edit of Teenagers From Outer Space cut out a pre-credits sequence with the most interesting special effect in the whole movie, where the alien ship screwed itself into the ground when it landed. So I owe him that much, at least.

Definitely seems like a book worth taking a look at, especially as I'm a sucker for esoteric encyclopedias and "dictionaries" when they are done well

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

drrockso20 posted:

I have them all except The Singles Collection since I have them already. I buy them as soon as they are available to avoid what happened with Volume 10 (which I have an original as well). I buy them from Shout! Factory if there's a bonus disc involved

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Bill Warren posted:

Make no mistake about MST3K: according to a TV Guide interview, the head guy behind the series felt these movies needed to be greeted with derision, that there was no other response possible from an intelligent person such as him.

Must have been a Mike interview. Doesn’t sound like Joel.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Clouseau posted:

Must have been a Mike interview. Doesn’t sound like Joel.

I wouldn't be surprised if what the person actually said was something like 'these movies often have an inherently silly premise' which to be fair most of their flicks do. Although if you talk to any of the guys 'n gals behind the show about 'how many of these movies did you actually hate' you always get the answer from any of them 'a lot less than you think.' Warren seems to be of the opinion that you cannot enjoy something you also make fun of, not being able to tell the difference between a rib and a roast.

Or as Joel says, he was not the right people.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I would not trust anything the guy that gave Laserblast 2 and a half stars says

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i've always liked those rare moments when they acknowledge something good in a film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i've always liked those rare moments when they acknowledge something good in a film.

Yeah. I can't remember if they commented on it, but in the Colossal Guide somebody (Kevin, I think) went on about how pretty the infamous Russo-Finnish co-productions were to look at as they obviously had money put into them.