Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bollock Monkey posted:

Hm, was working fine for me but I've removed the timg tag now.

its probably more that it's just very very phallic.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bollock Monkey posted:

Is there any way of kickstarting a cycle in a new tank (other than trying to seed from the substrate/filter medium) or is any hope of that futile and we just have to hope it takes less than two months? It's been a while!

If you have a local fish store you might be able to get some active filter media from them? Otherwise API Quick Start seemed to do something for me, didn't hurt at least.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bollock Monkey posted:

Cool, will get on it then and buy a bigger tank. Both my partner and I had axies before with no issues in similarly-sized, if not smaller, tanks - which is why we thought it'd be fine. I guess ours this time around is just a messy boy. His shits have been way sandier than they used to be for a while now, which is probably contributing.

Is there any way of kickstarting a cycle in a new tank (other than trying to seed from the substrate/filter medium) or is any hope of that futile and we just have to hope it takes less than two months? It's been a while!

Here's a photo of weird axolotl acrobatic resting:

Just get seed bacteria. You can cycle in like 2 weeks tops that way

Check local aquarium groups on Facebook

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Synthbuttrange posted:

its probably more that it's just very very phallic.

Uh, you may want to see your doctor about that.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone have any experience with doctor fish/garra rufa? A bizarre situation has like 15 of them coming my way, and I don't know much beyond what can be found on the internet. They seem low maintenance and can be kept without a heater.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I woke up this morning and nitrites all but disappeared

I'm close to done with cycling?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Adventure Noodles!

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Phi230 posted:

I woke up this morning and nitrites all but disappeared

I'm close to done with cycling?

4 days ago you were dosing 4ppm ammonia. Now that nitrite has started being metabolized you can reduce the ammonia dose to 2 or 3ppm, and keep going until nitrite is disappearing like ammonia had been. Ammonia should remain undetectable through this process. You've still got some time to go though.

You temp 24.5C and pH of 8 are fine.

Once nitrite is being metabolized fully (undetectable the next day after ammonia dose) you can give a 4ppm dose of ammonia to test the cycle. If the tank clears that 4ppm does, then you are good to go.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So uh I know the API stuff says wait 5 minutes for results, but after like 6-8 minutes it seems to settle.

At 5 minutes of leaving tests out, it still shows a tiny tinge of green for Ammo and a very light purple for Nitrites. A few more minutes later, it shows 0 (yellow and blue)

I don't wanna get cocky and say that its Ammo 0/Nitrite 0, is this typical or is there still ammo and nitrites in the tank

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think you should dip a strip as well just so you have two tests on the tank that can be correlated. I would agree that adding 20% time for reactions to occur shouldn't change a result and if you have a colder room or something maybe it takes a little longer. When I do my API tests it goes to a certain color (rapidly) and stays that way even if I left it out for 20 min so I think you're in the clear.

I could be wrong!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Here's the condo my betta is upgrading to:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mango sentinel posted:

Adventure Noodles!

Those little guys are so great. For some reason they always remind me of dogs, even though they look nothing like dogs. :iiam:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So after a week of excel dosing my egeria got hit hard.

The stems are turning white and getting soft and weak, and the leaves are melting.

However the tippy tops are quite thick and green and strong and there's a few chutes of new growth.

Will these bounce back?

Also there's this brown. . . stuff developing at the bottom of the tank. It looks like mud or something and its starting to clog my sponge on the filter intake.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 16, 2019

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Those little guys are so great. For some reason they always remind me of dogs, even though they look nothing like dogs. :iiam:

I think the same of my yoyo loaches, they have the same excitement for food or for just showing off and doing loops because you're standing next to the tank. The way they snuffle around for food or quickly change direction when they think they're missing out on something. They way they bicker over a clump of worms and chase each other trying to steal the food the other is carrying. I never thought I would end up loving these ugly mouthed fish as much as I do. Kuhlies are the same except they don't know that they're tiny and cute, they have the same energy as the bigger fish.

Phi230 posted:

So after a week of excel dosing my egeria got hit hard.
You'll probably have to trim and replant the tips, and toss any of the stuff that is rotting. The brown stuff might be broken down rotting plant matter, or some kind of fungus or algae which is making use of all the extra released nutrients from the plants breaking down. I think it might be a good idea to vacuum out as much as you can and clean the intake sponge, maybe make a water change out of it so you can reduce organics and so on that have been released. If it is forming in sheets you're looking at Cyanobacteria though so I hope it's not that.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 16, 2019

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Firemouths are so drat annoying. They are in this weird middle aggression territory. They will shred community tank fish but get dunked on by any other "aggressive" cichlid. I've had one for a while in my 55g with a gigantic severum that hides in the corner all day. I thought another cichlid might make him more social. A long time ago he was in a tank with a big oscar and he was out all the time and would beg for food at the glass. Without the oscar he just hides.

I bought a festivum to try the cheer him and and have been growing it out in my 20g cory tank for the past year. He's finally a little bigger than the firemouth so I decided to try it. I put the firemouth in a QT for a week to let the Festivum get established. When the firemouth was in the bag, the festivum was approaching him and twitching his fins at him. After i released him things were fine for an hour. Now a few hours later the firemouth is chasing the poo poo out of the festivum unless he is in one of the top corners. :argh:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I upgraded my 10 gallon planted tank to a 35 hex, and I made a giant mess of it. I put the soil in, and then poured the water and soul from the old tank in on top.

The result is crazy cloudy water that's not clearing up, even 10-12 hours later.

Do I need to start doing big water changes? I put a bit of Seachem clarity in it, after some googling, but it seems like it only helped a little.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you poured direct on uncapped soil give it a few days to settle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I made that mistake when I was setting up my 5G and it just wouldn't clear up/settle. I just gave up and changed all the water after a couple of days of waiting. But I didn't have any treatment going on besides the filter taken off an established tank so it didn't cost me anything to just start over and do it properly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You could also try a flocculant if you have any on hand. Otherwise water changes will help.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I made that mistake when I was setting up my 5G and it just wouldn't clear up/settle. I just gave up and changed all the water after a couple of days of waiting. But I didn't have any treatment going on besides the filter taken off an established tank so it didn't cost me anything to just start over and do it properly.

Yeah, that's definitely what'd I'd have done if it was my old 10 gallon, but 35 is too much to do a couple 90% water changes, especially since I'm using RO

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I know I've posted about something similar before but what should my first assumptions be when my tank is cloudy? All levels are testing well - no ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If it's green it's probably algae - is the tank getting direct light? If it's whitish, it's probably a bacterial bloom. Possibly something has changed in your source water, or something has died, or a big piece of food is stuck somewhere in your filter, anything like that which would act as a nutrition source that wasn't previously there. There are some fish that produce so much milt when they spawn that they foul up their tank water (penguin tetras come to mind) so maybe it's that?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I went to see if my local shop had any Shrimp Mineral GH+/KH+ and holy poo poo it must be spring because they had new stock of amanos! Ended up picking up a little guy because I couldn't resist. When they went to pour the water into the bag he ended up on the loving counter and my heart stopped as the shop owner kinda swept him into the container but he hopped right into the water and seems fine. UGGhhh.

Absolutely tiny - my other ones were twice as big when I first got them.

Out of curiosity I measured the TDS of the water in the little bag - it was 2400. What the hell. I run my tank around 250-400.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If they put a squirt of stresszyme in the bag before transit it could throw the TDS reading out of whack. TDS doesn't necessarily reflect hardness correctly, there's no way to tell exactly which ions are contributing to the conductivity of the water. I find it more useful as a quick test when double checking water that I've dosed myself rather than for investigating unknown water, although after testing for gH and kH I would be tempted to check TDS to see if there's anything else going on, high TDS could mean high nitrate if the hardness readings are okay.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Cloudy tank update: almost clear! It actually looked even better than this, but I planted it and stirred things back up a little.

Edit: it's clear! Now I need to figure out what I want in it...

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 19, 2019

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

rear end in a top hat Firemouth update, $32 worth of plastic plants have gotten the violence to an acceptable level. When the festivum gets bigger and whoops his rear end he won't get much sympathy from me. He is a pretty fish though, I'll give him that.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My bladder snails population just exploded. Reccomended means of removal without genocide? I am open to assassin snails though

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

My bladder snails population just exploded. Reccomended means of removal without genocide? I am open to assassin snails though

Assassin snails, any puffers, any loaches but kuhli loaches. I can remember how big your tank is, dwarf chain loaches are good nano community fish, yoyo loaches are good 20+ gallon community fish that can get slightly rowdy. BB/pea puffers are tiny assholes who bully literally everything in spite of their size but will demolish snail populations. Loaches are social so you'll need multiples unless your store is okay for you to "rent" one by buying it then taking it back once it's full of snail.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My cycle confirmed to finish a few days ago so I got fish! I got Julii Cory's, I got Dwarf Gouramis, Neon Tetras, and Glass Catfish.

Planning on getting Kuhli Loaches, and a Bristlenose Pleco. Eventually some Cherry Shrimp and Nerite snails.

Will Shrimp have problems with the above stocking? What about dwarf crayfish?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Dwarf gouramis are likely to hunt shrimp. Also may potentially bully your other fish depending on space and the type of gourami. Some strains tend to be more or less aggressive. Might be a problem for the glass catfish.

I haven't researched it, but it sounds like crayfish are generally a bad idea in a community tank.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I just got my Spec V. I set it up to make sure all the parts work and this thing is pretty drat silent. I won't have any problem setting this up in my bedroom.

I'm also sketching out the stand I want to build for it so hopefully I can get that built and painted over the next couple of weekends.

Then plants.

Then fish.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GoodBee posted:

I just got my Spec V. I set it up to make sure all the parts work and this thing is pretty drat silent. I won't have any problem setting this up in my bedroom.

I'm also sketching out the stand I want to build for it so hopefully I can get that built and painted over the next couple of weekends.

Then plants.

Then fish.

I hope you mean plants then a month or more of manually adding ammonia to cycle the tank and then once cycled, fish :colbert:.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I hope you mean plants then a month or more of manually adding ammonia to cycle the tank and then once cycled, fish :colbert:.

Correct.

I checked out my local fish store a couple of weeks ago and they didn't really have tanks or tank kits in stock so I ordered one. I got it yesterday.

They do have plants and substrates and all the other stuff on hand so once I get my stand ready, I'll go get that stuff to start cycling. I'm not sure if they'll have a heater that fits nicely in the Spec V. I think one was recommended in this thread or somewhere else on a Spec V review page. I'll have to find that and I might have to order it. I honestly probably won't need it until next winter since it'll probably be balls hot here by the time I get fish.

I think I'm also pretty set on getting some chili rasboras so I might have to wait awhile. I honestly have no idea how long it might take to get specific fish.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

I haven't researched it, but it sounds like crayfish are generally a bad idea in a community tank.

Full sized crays are fish munching maniacs as far as I know, dwarf crays have the same attitude although less of the ability. I've tried mixing them with guppies, the guppies soon had pieces taken out of their tails so I removed them (tails did grow back). I've also got them in with peacock gudgeons and the gudgeons are perfectly fine, perhaps they can see better at night or have predatory inverts in their normal environment? Guppies do seem to sleep on the bottom of the tank where they'd be easy pickings, whereas gudgeons will post themselves on driftwood or among leaves to sleep. I would feel comfortable keeping dwarf crays with fish that stay swimming while they're asleep. I don't have the typical bright orange patzcuarensis and I'm not sure what species mine are, maybe shufeldtii? They will fling themselves off plants to grab at falling food which is pretty cool. Dwarf crays are a lot of fun to keep even if they don't play well with others.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Assassin snails are awesome. They are ruthlessly efficient. I wish I sill had some but I guess they weren’t as good at eating stuff that isn’t snails because my population rapidly multiplied then died out when they killed all the garden snails.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Assassin snails are awesome. They are ruthlessly efficient. I wish I sill had some but I guess they weren’t as good at eating stuff that isn’t snails because my population rapidly multiplied then died out when they killed all the garden snails.

I'm literally getting to the point where I might have to find some alternate food, because they've obliterated almost my entire bladder snail population in two separate tanks. I have a friend with a Malaysian Trumpet problem, how good are they at eating those?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Luneshot posted:

I'm literally getting to the point where I might have to find some alternate food, because they've obliterated almost my entire bladder snail population in two separate tanks. I have a friend with a Malaysian Trumpet problem, how good are they at eating those?

They get munched good.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

If it's green it's probably algae - is the tank getting direct light? If it's whitish, it's probably a bacterial bloom. Possibly something has changed in your source water, or something has died, or a big piece of food is stuck somewhere in your filter, anything like that which would act as a nutrition source that wasn't previously there. There are some fish that produce so much milt when they spawn that they foul up their tank water (penguin tetras come to mind) so maybe it's that?

Pretty sure it's bacterial bloom. There are only two tank inhabitants - a tiger nerite and a betta - which are doing alright, and the plants seem lively. I'll check the filter for food, but in the meantime what else should I do? Rinse the filter, do consistent water changes, maybe turn up the motor on the filter and see if it goes away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So now onto the topic of feeding.

I gave my fish a mix of pellets, flakes, and bloodworms as a bribe for being in my new tank, and some bottom feeder flakes. I bought algae wafers but didn't use them today.

My Cory Cats don't seem to be trying to eat anything. My Glass Catfish were hiding under driftwood and didn't go try to eat food that didn't come to them.

Now, it's been several hours since I've fed them and I didn't watch the tank the whole time, but I didn't see any Cory Cats eating when I initially did the feeding or checked once or twice since.

I know Glass Catfish are nocturnal, should I feed them at night when they are out and about?