Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I have no idea how you make it look difficult without it sounding bad, and I'm a string player too.

Isn't all the writing about music pretty stupid? I don't play anything, I've tried to learn guitar and piano at various times and everything he writes to me about music playing just sounds absurd. A string breaks mid-performance so he just rewrites all the music mid-performance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I have no idea how you make it look difficult without it sounding bad, and I'm a string player too.

I’m imagining someone going full Chris Thile on an easy song. https://youtu.be/cXDL6_3gFu0

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn't all the writing about music pretty stupid? I don't play anything, I've tried to learn guitar and piano at various times and everything he writes to me about music playing just sounds absurd. A string breaks mid-performance so he just rewrites all the music mid-performance?

Rothfuss knows literally nothing about music at all and didn't do a single second of research so all the music stuff in it literally makes no sense and is super dumb and is more or less there 'cuz Rothfuss thought it sounded cool.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
No one writes about music like Pat Rothfuss. The way it sneaks into your soul, the way it feeds you like nothing else.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I will say that Rothfuss.. he does have an indefinable quality. I'm not typically a very close or critical reader, especially of genre fiction. So I read it the first time and I just kind of read it and thought wow that's some cool fantasy. I never read Harry Potter or any of the "go to magic school" books so I don't know how much of it is really a ripoff.

But then I re-read it, paying more attention and it's just horrible, horrible. So I can kind of see why people like it so much if you don't really pay any attention all the bad writing and absurd plotting and bizarre characterization and anachronisms, they just kind of hide beneath the surface.

Once you break the surface tension I guess, then you're just drowning in poo poo.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

It's like running off of a cliff in a cartoon

Gitro
May 29, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So this is the passage and in short I misremembered and you're right

quote:

Before a handful of notes rang out, everyone had caught the tune... A tune shepherds have been whistling for ten thousand years. The simplest of simple melodies. A tune anyone with a bucket could carry. A bucket was overkill, actually. A pair of cupped hands would manage nicely. A single hand. Two fingers, even.

But before much longer, my smile grew strained. Sweat began to bead on my forehead. I hunched over the lute, concentrating on what my hands were doing. My fingers darted, then danced, then flew.

I played hard as a hailstorm, like a hammer beating brass. I played soft as sun on autumn wheat, gentle as a single stirring leaf. Before long, my breath began to catch from the strain of it. My lips made a thin, bloodless line across my face.

As I pushed through the middle refrain I shook my head to clear my hair away from my eyes. Sweat flew in an arc to patter out along the wood of the stage. I breathed hard, my chest working like a bellows, straining like a horse run to lather.

Then, just when it was obvious I couldn’t carry on a moment longer, the last chord rang through the room and I slumped in my chair, exhausted.

So the lil' rascal plays it really fast I guess, and maybe hammers his fingers into the frets or w/e the lute equivalent is and slams the strings and somehow it doesn't sound like rear end?

Im just picturing kvothe strumming a 3 chord tune 100 times over because he decided to play it way too fast. Everyone recognises the simple, ubiquitous tune and they're just loving it. Someone walks up on stage and slams out baa baa back sheep twenty times at 300bpm and the crowd goes wild.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Rothfuss writes about music the same way I would write about being extremely tall

That is, it is all a bunch of made up bullshit

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Scholtz posted:

It's like running off of a cliff in a cartoon

This is a good way of putting it. In fairness to Rothfuss too, most genre fiction is so loving bad you notice the moment you go off the cliff, which is typically in the first paragraph of the unnecessary prologue.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Gitro posted:

This is a potently cursed series of words

Two books in and we are only just informed of how Kvothe is such as scamp and trickster figure but we've yet to see him doing any picaresque things except maybe college-pranking Ambrose a couple of times?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gitro posted:

So this is the passage and in short I misremembered and you're right

So the lil' rascal plays it really fast I guess, and maybe hammers his fingers into the frets or w/e the lute equivalent is and slams the strings and somehow it doesn't sound like rear end?

Im just picturing kvothe strumming a 3 chord tune 100 times over because he decided to play it way too fast. Everyone recognises the simple, ubiquitous tune and they're just loving it. Someone walks up on stage and slams out baa baa back sheep twenty times at 300bpm and the crowd goes wild.

That scene would be immeasurably improved if Kvothe's gimmick was that he was the world champion Sailor's Hornpipe player.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Gitro posted:

I'm pretty sure the passage is about as descriptive as 'i played this one easy song and made it look super difficult and then i played a real toughie but looked just so bored while i did it'

I mean their are songs that are deceptively easy/hard to an audience, but you can't play a song in a way that's deceptive I feel, except maybe make something harder by playing in some stupid key for no reason, but it would still appear to be the same difficulty to the audience.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hate to admit it, but that part of the story does ring true for musicians. Just look at any punk band and you'll see people flying around playing their hearts out and it's almost always a stupidly easy song to play vs watching Joe Satriani sit down on a stool and hammer out Summer Song and look like he's about to fall asleep.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
That's the difference between playing energetically and playing in a laid-back fashion. Punks don't make it look hard; they make it look fun.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I figured he was supposed to be Jimi Hendrix playing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I hate to admit it, but that part of the story does ring true for musicians. Just look at any punk band and you'll see people flying around playing their hearts out and it's almost always a stupidly easy song to play vs watching Joe Satriani sit down on a stool and hammer out Summer Song and look like he's about to fall asleep.

Not really. Punk rockers are putting in energy around the song, not in the actual playing. It's just basically what that guy said earlier of "pretending it's really tough to play with your face or whatever vs acting like going your to sleep". If it's a difficult song then it's gonna be obvious even if you're snoring as you play.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

AngusPodgorny posted:

I figured he was supposed to be Jimi Hendrix playing the Star-Spangled Banner.

I'm glad we've finally grown enough as a society to stop pretending his version of The Star Spangled Banner is any good.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Punks are also play fast, violent songs that demand fast, violent energy regardless of the complexity of the song. Playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star to exhaustion is not the same thing.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Reading the passage again, what I'm picturing is a child's first musical recital. They've got the tip of their tongue sticking out of the side of their mouth. Their eyes are fixed on the keys or fret board. The melody isn't really there at all as they keep pausing to get their finger positions correct. If they play a part wrong they pause and repeat the phrase. Mom is in the audience trying to clap the beat and her head is nodding up and down in sync with each note they struggle through and as soon as its over she runs up on stage and hugs her little angel and says what a good job she did.

Meanwhile all of the other parents are praying for a merciful death up until its their own little snowflake's turn to do the same thing.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

The Kingkiller chronicles book 3: praying for a merciful death

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

What is a jot anyway

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

mp5 posted:

What is a jot anyway

Matt 5:18 KJV, iota / small mark

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mp5 posted:

What is a jot anyway

1/10 of a talent. Out of everything talked about in the books, I think money is the most common theme. Certainly isn't killing kings.

Also, they made them. This is what a jot is:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is that the poop emoji?

A Light Grift
Aug 1, 2011
These recent excerpts remind me of a review I read of the first book a few years ago.

quote:

As I labored mightily, sweat fell wetly from my furrowed brow, like heavy drops of rain from a dark summer storm. I firmly extended a finger long as a knife-blade and hastily scanned the pages, pages where adverbs and similes and metaphors lay thick as leaves on the autumn ground. I smiled wanly, like an author who explains the meaning behind every line of dialogue and bit of body language after writing them. Though I had never read Rothfuss before, I took to it instantly, confidently mastering its every trope and trick and tic in under a fortnight. "God’s charred body,“ I exclaimed breathlessly after several chapters had passed like ships through a harbor bustling with harvest-time merchant ships jostlingly unloading their unloadable wares. "Is this tale truly a tale of a tale-teller telling the tale of how his life has been like a tale the tale-tellers tell?” The book fell heavily from my trembling fingers before clattering loudly to the hard ground like a blade tumbling fatally from the grasping hand of a rapidly dying man. “But these kinds of stories only happen in stories!"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

A Light Grift posted:

These recent excerpts remind me of a review I read of the first book a few years ago.

That's pretty great.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

A Light Grift posted:

Goddamn :perfect:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Can we make this the thread title: a tale of a tale-teller telling the tale of how his life has been like a tale the tale-tellers tell

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Light Grift posted:

This should be the foreword of Doors of Stone when it's finally written by Brandon Sanderson.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

P-Rotty posted:

“Kingkiller, my work on the books, is—again, it might seem strange for people to hear—but nobody laments the lack of tangible progress more than me, in terms of the next Kingkiller book,” Rothfuss told Cunningham. “But things are moving forward, if not fast—again, I’ve never promised fast, ever since I knew what I was good at professionally. I made promises very early on in interviews where I’m like, ‘Yeah, I’m going to do these books one a year.’ But I was an idiot. I had just been published for like two months, I had no idea what I was talking about.”

He discussed how, yes, he had completed a draft of the entire Kingkiller Chronicle back in 2000 but described this early version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad” and emphasized the changes that he had made to it in the nearly twenty years since then.

“But I am moving forward,” he said. “More importantly, I’m finally getting my life sorted out so that I can go back and approach my writing and my craft with the joy that I used to feel back in the day, when I was just an idiot kid playing D&D or working on my unpublishable fantasy novel.”

Speaking of moving forward, Rothfuss also briefly discussed picking up a back-burnered graphic novel project with collaborator Nate Taylor set in the Kingkiller Chronicle world, and his delight with the Kingkiller Chronicle TV series. Listen below!

And because it’s B&N, of course they asked what he’s reading. Turns out Patrick Rothfuss is a big fan of Murderbot! “It was fun, and funny, and witty, and clever,” he said of Martha Wells’ Tor.com Publishing series. “It broke my heart and I cried a ton… Honestly, I think I’ve related more to Murderbot than I have maybe any other character in my life.” He also praised Mary Robinette Kowal’s The Calculating Stars and Naomi Novik’s Spinning Silver, saying of all three Hugo-nominated works, “If you read, you should read those books, and you will be delighted.”

God what an insufferable turd.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Imagine if Kingkiller had been discernibly bad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

P-Rotty posted:

He discussed how, yes, he had completed a draft of the entire Kingkiller Chronicle back in 2000 but described this early version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad” 

So what's his excuse for 2007/2011?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Wow, Name of the Wind was published in 2007. Sheesh.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
When my ESL students describe their reactions to writing samples using terms like that, I typically fail them on the assignment.

This guy is a professional author and the best he can come up with is that what he read was witty and clever.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Atlas Hugged posted:

When my ESL students describe their reactions to writing samples using terms like that, I typically fail them on the assignment.

This guy is a professional author and the best he can come up with is that what he read was witty and clever.

It was also fun and funny

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > The Kingkiller Chronicles: A Trilogy in Two Parts

Gitro
May 29, 2013
ahem

Rothfarce

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

God what an insufferable turd.

This dude sucks so hard

Off topic, just finished reading Gene Wolfe's Peace, and now I can't sleep and have a deep sense of dread

But this dread is not as bad as knowing that Rothfuss is going to keep writing and people are going to keep reading his anime fuckboi product

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ElGroucho posted:

But this dread is not as bad as knowing that Rothfuss is going to keep writing and people are going to keep reading his anime fuckboi product

Dude, Rothfuss is not going to publish more than another short story or maybe two....possibly another novella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701

this passed over my newsfeed. nothing new here but I do appreciate Pat calling himself an idiot for his comments about how he had the whole trilogy written even before the first book came out.