Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all, that's some useful advice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

cakesmith handyman posted:

They also sell a sawzall... :haw:

I know, I got one for Father's day two years ago :ohdear:

coathat
May 21, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

While we're in the vicinity, conversation-wise: I want to get a battery-powered string trimmer. I already have a bunch of Makita tools, so I'd like to stay with their ecosystem. They have two trimmers: one that takes one battery and costs $100, and one that takes two and costs $220 (both prices are tool-only). I assume the latter is for heavier duty and bigger yards. My needs are pretty light. Am I going to regret getting the smaller one?

Go for the bigger one. I wouldn’t use anything that takes less than .80 line like the battery one.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

coathat posted:

Go for the bigger one. I wouldn’t use anything that takes less than .80 line like the battery one.

Yeah, that basic model Makita looks like every other crappy plug-in model with a frustrating bump feed that can't be replaced. The more expensive version looks like the Milwaukee one with a straight shaft and replaceable, standard spindle. I upgraded from the passable .085 line on my Milwaukee to some quality .095 line, and it's like a whole new trimmer.

The ability to use thicker lines and better spindle makes the more expensive one worth it. Nothing is more frustrating than lovely string trimmers.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Otoh lovely String Trimmers sounds like a name for a bluegrass band Jerry Garcia would have formed

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

B-Nasty posted:

You guys had some bad luck with gas-powered mowers. I had an old Toro that I beat the crap out of and about the only maintenance I ever did was change the oil every once in a while and make sure to burn the last of the gas in the tank before winter. Thing always started on the first or second pull.

Small 2-strokes on the other hand...

You guys don't have it but Aspen fuel (made in Sweden) really is a godsend. Expensive AF but since we don't use a lot we'll use like 20-30 euros of it in a year.

It basically super clean fuel, doesn't varnish parts like carburetors when you leave it in and will start just as well next season and you can't even see or smell the exhaust when running it. Motors starts super easy too.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

You guys don't have it but Aspen fuel (made in Sweden) really is a godsend. Expensive AF but since we don't use a lot we'll use like 20-30 euros of it in a year.

We have that here as well. Husqvarna actually makes one, but the most common is TruFuel, which comes in 4-cycle and various oil-mix 2-cycle versions. It is definitely the way to go for the really small engines that hardly ever get used, but like you said, it's too expensive to run in thirsty engines or those that get used a bunch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I run VP SEF in all my small engines. They all get started on it, stored with it, and poo poo down with it. For example, lawnmower: it'll have a cup of SEF left in it over the winter. I and cup in the spring and fire it up on that fuel. Once it's run out, I fill it with fresh gasoline and fun that all summer. Last mowing, I'll run out the gasoline, and add two cups of SEF and go mow a path through the tall grass in the back yard that only gets cut once a year. That usually leaves a cup or so in the tank, and that's what it gets stored with.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I've had good result storing my all of gas engines with ethanol free stabilized with Sta-Bil Marine formula.

I buy the Marine formula in bulk because it's what I use in my boat.

Also, I'm fortunate that there's a gas station a block away from my house that sells ethanol-free. For finding stations near you: https://www.pure-gas.org/

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

What happens if I add sta bil on regular pump gas? If it makes through until next season it still seems okay for me .

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I run trufuel in my work chainsaw and don't even bother starting it on the ground. I can drop start it in the air, usually in one pull if I can get to the choke before it dies.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Not a tool question but tool organization. I’m looking for very short trays for a tool chest. Like a lot of he drawers are maybe 1.5 inch high and I want a tray to put loose drill bits and random things like that. Any recommendations?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I dont like the container and cap those 1/4 gallon premixed fuels come in. No safety preventing the cap from spinning off.

I use stabil and fuel lasts at least a year with it mixed in.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

stuxracer posted:

Not a tool question but tool organization. I’m looking for very short trays for a tool chest. Like a lot of he drawers are maybe 1.5 inch high and I want a tray to put loose drill bits and random things like that. Any recommendations?

Look at kitchen drawer orgainzers, I use these ones though I bought them locally for half that price.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I run trufuel in my work chainsaw and don't even bother starting it on the ground. I can drop start it in the air, usually in one pull if I can get to the choke before it dies.

This is my trufuel experience and why I am willing to pay way too much for it. In the right thing it's more than worth it.

Over-bored old rear end carbed Stihl MS440 with a 24" bar on it? Hit the decompression button and pull 2 or 3 times. No fighting to warm up, even when it's below freezing. poo poo just works and I have't had to rebuild a carb in years.

The Gardenator posted:

I dont like the container and cap those 1/4 gallon premixed fuels come in. No safety preventing the cap from spinning off.

I use stabil and fuel lasts at least a year with it mixed in.

So exactly how do you store that fuel that is better than the cans trufuel and the like come in? Could you not just pour the contents into your presumably better solution that you store fuel in?

I'm honestly asking here.....I just don't understand how the things I store bulk gas in (diesel is another story) are somehow superior to a metal can with a lid on it unless your benchmark for that is jerry can......or something more?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

iForge posted:

Look at kitchen drawer orgainzers, I use these ones though I bought them locally for half that price.
Yeah those look good. Walmart has them for about half price too. Thanks.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

stuxracer posted:

They're taller than your 1.5" height requirement I just noticed, but I'm sure you can find something similar that will fit the bill. I bought those for $5/pack at Target.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stuxracer posted:

For more options, check out Schaller Corp's bins. Available in 3 depths and dozens of sizes. I've got quite a few in my cabinets for tooling and small parts.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Motronic posted:

So exactly how do you store that fuel that is better than the cans trufuel and the like come in? Could you not just pour the contents into your presumably better solution that you store fuel in?

I'm honestly asking here.....I just don't understand how the things I store bulk gas in (diesel is another story) are somehow superior to a metal can with a lid on it unless your benchmark for that is jerry can......or something more?

Yes, jerry cans are okay. Especially if the plastic funnel attachment has not broken off. What I like is the integrated handle and lever that you can control the shutoff one handed. I was actually looking for a picture of a similar type can, its plastic, with a similar handle and lever, and has a smaller base than most gas cans. I'll take a picture of it if it's still on the truck.

E: found it, Justrite Oval Style Safety Can

Justrite 14160 Type I Polyethylene Safety Can with Stainless Steel Fittings, 1 Gallon Capacity, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PGRNQA

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 19, 2019

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I bought this and it’s p dece

Surecan CRSUR22G1 Gasoline CAN, 2.2 Gallon, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DE2ECYG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nWvKCbMYTV2YH

That little catch on the handle takes a second but it works a treat compared to the garbage with that tab you have to balance on the tank lip

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Gardenator posted:

Yes, jerry cans are okay. Especially if the plastic funnel attachment has not broken off. What I like is the integrated handle and lever that you can control the shutoff one handed. I was actually looking for a picture of a similar type can, its plastic, with a similar handle and lever, and has a smaller base than most gas cans. I'll take a picture of it if it's still on the truck.

E: found it, Justrite Oval Style Safety Can

Justrite 14160 Type I Polyethylene Safety Can with Stainless Steel Fittings, 1 Gallon Capacity, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PGRNQA

So just put it in one of those? This doesn't seem to be a reasonably solvable packaging issue since that can is worth as much as the stabilized fuel you'd use to fill it.

I don't really worry about the screw caps coming loose while in a metal cabinet in my garage, but I can understand your point if they're rolling around in the bed of a pickup or toolbox. I still don't think that's a product packaging problem......I know i don't want to pay extra for that packaging.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

stuxracer posted:

Seconding kitchen drawer organizers. Drill bits aught to fit pretty good in fork/spoon/knife tray.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
make your own drawer organizers out of thin plywood. Put them tools to use!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This jointer popped up on an auction site and I could snag it super cheap. Unfortunately, this photo is the only info I’ve got and it’s not a good photo

There’s a public preview for the auction next Thursday but if anyone can figure out what this is/if it’s worth my time before I spend 40 minutes driving over there to look, that’d be rad

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sockser posted:

This jointer popped up on an auction site and I could snag it super cheap. Unfortunately, this photo is the only info I’ve got and it’s not a good photo

There’s a public preview for the auction next Thursday but if anyone can figure out what this is/if it’s worth my time before I spend 40 minutes driving over there to look, that’d be rad

You can't figure out from a picture if and what it's worth. Go over and kick the tires, or forget it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sockser posted:

Yeah maybe fine if it’s super cheap but you never know until you see it running. Bearings might be shot, motor might be shot, tables might not be flat etc etc etc. I don’t think jointers with beds that short are really all that useful unless you’re just doing small stuff.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So I’m going to be replacing a lot of shoe molding in my house in the near future, so I imagine I will want to get a nail gun.

I have some ryobi tools so I’m already in their system, how are their airstrike nailers? What gauge/length should I be looking for?

Tbh I have never dealt with nail guns before, so any guidance is appreciated!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

So I’m going to be replacing a lot of shoe molding in my house in the near future, so I imagine I will want to get a nail gun.

I have some ryobi tools so I’m already in their system, how are their airstrike nailers? What gauge/length should I be looking for?

18-23 gauge and I'd go for a Paslode because that's what I'm used to (they are junk but I know their particular brand of junk). Looks like this is a thing if you want to say in that system:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-AirStrike-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Tool-Only-with-Sample-Nails-P320/203810823

Length depends entirely on things you haven't mentioned like how thick the thing is you want to stick to the other thing.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Motronic posted:

18-23 gauge and I'd go for a Paslode because that's what I'm used to (they are junk but I know their particular brand of junk). Looks like this is a thing if you want to say in that system:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-AirStrike-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Tool-Only-with-Sample-Nails-P320/203810823

Length depends entirely on things you haven't mentioned like how thick the thing is you want to stick to the other thing.

Okay, so I can use multiple length nails with a single gun? I wasn’t sure on that.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Okay, so I can use multiple length nails with a single gun? I wasn’t sure on that.

Yeah if you're just doing shoe molding, a pin nailer is the way to go. They'll go anywhere from standard 1/2" to 1 1/2" some do more and less, I think. Paslode used to be great and innovative. I think they had the 1st fuel cell guns you could go without compressors on. Those were the bees knees.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I used that ryobi nail gun to redo all the baseboards at my last house, it worked great.

yes you can use different lengths of nails.

it does get a bit finicky with using partial stacks of nails so always load in a full stack and let the last few go into the bin

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Paslode used to be great and innovative.

This is why I mentioned that.....I'm sure my information is out of date here. They were the only game in town for a while. It's been a long time since then and I haven't paid attention,

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm looking for recommendations for a zero turn lawn mower. We have an old 42" Craftsman that was fine for a little over an acre, but we moved to 3 acres and it takes at least 3-4 hours now to mow.

Been looking at the 54" range, and would like to keep it under $3,000 if we can. My grandpa and dad are brand loyal to Cub Cadet so I was leaning toward the RZTL54FAB, but there's also a Husqvarna Z254 in a local store that looks good.

Long and short of it though is that I don't have a great grasp of why I would prefer one over the other, or e.g. a John Deere or whatever, aside from price.

Also when's a good time in the spring to wait for sales? Memorial Day maybe?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm looking for recommendations for a zero turn lawn mower. We have an old 42" Craftsman that was fine for a little over an acre, but we moved to 3 acres and it takes at least 3-4 hours now to mow.

Been looking at the 54" range, and would like to keep it under $3,000 if we can. My grandpa and dad are brand loyal to Cub Cadet so I was leaning toward the RZTL54FAB, but there's also a Husqvarna Z254 in a local store that looks good.

Long and short of it though is that I don't have a great grasp of why I would prefer one over the other, or e.g. a John Deere or whatever, aside from price.

Also when's a good time in the spring to wait for sales? Memorial Day maybe?

Tractor supply sent me a 10% off a single item coupon about this time year before last, which I burned on a $5k bad boy mower. .... They have not sent me a coupon since, but I hear other people get them. :v: Lowe's occasionally does straight 10% coupons in the spring, but usually they're of the "save $50 off $250" variety. Spring is when everyone is buying a mower so I don't know if they have much reason to further incentivize mower sales in particular.

As an aside, if you can stretch your budget (or go used) to get something with a better deck than those two you posted, it would be worth it I think. I bought a Husqvarna before my current mower of the same residential line you're looking at. The frame/kohler engine/hydros were all fine over 5 seasons but the deck was real easy to beat up. Find a tree root at speed and you'll find yourself spending some quality time with a 3lb hammer to get finished cutting. I think they run a little extra front lip reinforcement on the Husqvarna residential models now, so probably a little better but there's no way it's the same as a thick fabricated deck.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Personally I hate electric nail guns. They never have enough punch and when the battery gets a bit low its even less. There is nothing more annoying than a half seated nail from a nail gun.

Air power all the way, Give me that pft tst PSI punch.

FWIW my cheapo HF nail gun has been abused to hell and back and still going strong 10 years later.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

Personally I hate electric nail guns.

Air power all the way, Give me that pft tst PSI punch.

FWIW my cheapo HF nail gun has been abused to hell and back and still going strong 10 years later.

Agree, 100%.

Pneumatic nail guns are cheaper, more powerful, and less bulk/unwieldy than the battery ones. I don't find myself very often needing to just drive a nail or two off-the-cuff, it's usually a full blown trim/casing/flooring/whatever project where I might as well break out the compressor. I can see the value for someone like a handyman who needs to travel to customer sites and do some quick work without the bother of lugging a heavy compressor and finding an outlet.

I've made my life easier for these kinds of things by getting a portable air tank and changing the included hose over to a coiled air hose with female quick connect. Then, I just fill it up with my larger compressor and I can bring it with me. It's good for a few dozen nails or a minute of impact use before needing to be refilled.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

My old hackerspace had pneumatic random orbit sanders and when I finally upgraded my sheet sander to a random orbit at home I was thoroughly disappointed that it wasn’t anywhere near as badass

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

angryrobots posted:

Tractor supply sent me a 10% off a single item coupon about this time year before last, which I burned on a $5k bad boy mower. .... They have not sent me a coupon since, but I hear other people get them. :v: Lowe's occasionally does straight 10% coupons in the spring, but usually they're of the "save $50 off $250" variety. Spring is when everyone is buying a mower so I don't know if they have much reason to further incentivize mower sales in particular.

As an aside, if you can stretch your budget (or go used) to get something with a better deck than those two you posted, it would be worth it I think. I bought a Husqvarna before my current mower of the same residential line you're looking at. The frame/kohler engine/hydros were all fine over 5 seasons but the deck was real easy to beat up. Find a tree root at speed and you'll find yourself spending some quality time with a 3lb hammer to get finished cutting. I think they run a little extra front lip reinforcement on the Husqvarna residential models now, so probably a little better but there's no way it's the same as a thick fabricated deck.

I have a $5 coupon from Family Farm & Home, but that's not going to get me very far, haha. Unfortunately I can't really stretch the budget; $3K is already a bit of a stretch. Most of our yard is open, though, there's only one place near a big willow tree where there's any danger of hitting a tree root. I did hit it multiple times with the old Craftsman, so I am very familiar with the hammer, locking pliers, rock, whatever I can use to bend/whack a deck back in to shape. I'm hoping/planning with a zero turn to be able to remember to go a lot slower around that tree in particular, and other obstacles - that was part of the problem with the Craftsman, I just set it in 5th gear and tried not to switch speeds too much, because stopping each time to gear down delays an already long and tedious mowing session.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I have a $5 coupon from Family Farm & Home, but that's not going to get me very far, haha. Unfortunately I can't really stretch the budget; $3K is already a bit of a stretch. Most of our yard is open, though, there's only one place near a big willow tree where there's any danger of hitting a tree root. I did hit it multiple times with the old Craftsman, so I am very familiar with the hammer, locking pliers, rock, whatever I can use to bend/whack a deck back in to shape. I'm hoping/planning with a zero turn to be able to remember to go a lot slower around that tree in particular, and other obstacles - that was part of the problem with the Craftsman, I just set it in 5th gear and tried not to switch speeds too much, because stopping each time to gear down delays an already long and tedious mowing session.

Have you considered looking at used commercial equipment? I've always been able to find deals on walk behinds and even zero turns that are getting long in the tooth for 10 hours a day 6 day a week service, but would probably last you the life of your home with a couple of minor repairs along the way when getting used once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Also, coming from a 42" tractor to any size zero turn is going to save a ton of time. You don't realize how much time you waste on a tractor on corners, where a zero turn can just whip around or just go back and forth. Point being, you could do with less than a 54" and still cut way faster than currently.