Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hot couch experience with Evangelion dvd menu has to be quite something.

Full throated screaming mustnt run away as you charge the dvd player to force eject the disc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Lmao at even the idea of wanting to watch Eva dubbed

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Barudak posted:

Full throated screaming mustnt run away as you charge the dvd player to force eject the disc

Before discus-hurling the disc into the nearest forested area, in hopes that it's never found so it never traumatizes another human.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sadly there are 11 more copies being delivered to your house over the next few months so you can never truly relax.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I guess this means that we'll get a dub of End of Evangelion without the ketchup splorch noises and "hit 'em again".

I'm unironically going to miss "sweet Jesus it's an anti-AT field :effort:" though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Are they going to re-dub EoE or just the original 26?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Scyantific posted:

Are they going to re-dub EoE or just the original 26?

Both to my understanding

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halfway into watching the series, the episode name Rei 2 is driving my viewing buddy crazy. Every episode they expect an explanation but were no closer and its beginning to drive them crazy.

Theyre surprisingly on board with everyone except Ritsuko and Gendo.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MonsieurChoc posted:

A friend of mine met Tristan McAvery and apparently he had a lot of bad things to say about the old Dub crew, especially Tiffany and her husband. And he was still pissed at being ignored for the Rebuild Dubs.

This is friend of a friend said level of stuff so take it with a huge grain of salt.

That wouldn't be too surprising given that he wasn't included in the Director's Cut episodes, either. It's unfortunate because Swasey's Gendo is perfectly fine, I think McAvery had a much more suitable voice for the character and delivered some lines much better.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That wouldn't be too surprising given that he wasn't included in the Director's Cut episodes, either. It's unfortunate because Swasey's Gendo is perfectly fine, I think McAvery had a much more suitable voice for the character and delivered some lines much better.

Yeah, I didn't understand why they replaced Gendo, Kaworu and Aoba. Guess it was internal politics at ADV?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zeruel posted:

Yeah, I didn't understand why they replaced Gendo, Kaworu and Aoba. Guess it was internal politics at ADV?

With voices actors a lot of the time it is scheduling or commitments, especially since it used to be a more time consuming process to get voicework done. These days a lot of voice actors have studios in their houses which offer them a lot more flexibility in roles.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing Ive taken away most from rewatching this with my partner is man without EoE Asuka just gets dumped on haaaaard and even with it it just sucks to be Asuka.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 25, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zeruel posted:

Well, if my friend is to believed, it was politics.

:shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Barudak posted:

The thing Ive taken away most from rewatching this with my partner is man without EoE Asuka just gets dumped on haaaaard and even with it it just sucks to be Asuka.

It's kind of weird because Asuka experiences that whole "wunderkid comes up with reality" arc where she's in a situation where she's not crazy exceptional and it leads to a bunch of crises culminating in, possibly, ego-death or whatever that one Angel does to her mind.

But Shinji isn't even like a savant, he's just got the mommy cheat code. Then EoE happens and it's a redemption before she gets smacked the gently caress down. Even at your best you're just not good enough.

On some level I feel like it'a trying to give her a come-uppance for the earlier brattyness but god it's so cruel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like its two things. The first is Asuka sinks low but she never has a chance to actually think about it like Shinji. She cant bring herself to do anything, even in her deep unhappiness she cant even bring herself to talk to Rei and unlike Shinji she never asks questions. Like that theme of Shinji actually wanting to know and risking being hurt more by asking is always juxtaposed with Asuka's pointed refusal to do the same. Like when she gets mad at the eva she speaks to it the exact same doll language her mother uses and doesnt bother to investiage why it doesnt respond to her down to Asuka mentioning she knows the answer to the test so she doesnt bother learning to read the questions.

The other of course is Shinji's mom seems to have genuinely cared for him so asking to synchronize with someone whose goals are clear and positive is much easier. For Asuka even in EoE when Asuka's Eva is working properly the thing is alternating from wanting to fight to wanting to die and keeps vocalizing it. Asuka has the uneviable task of being forced to keep an unstable and dangerous to her mental health person in her life and depending how you think an eva works share in that madness.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
is unit 2 unstable? i thought the reasoning for her mom being cold and uncaring and unstable was because her “maternal” aspect of her soul was embedded in unit 2? unless this like WILD conjecture (which writing it now im sure it is )

i never was struck by unit 2 as being unstable

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's conjecture but it's circumstantially supported by EoE, where Asuka (moments before she dies) experiences Eva-02's presence as her mother's love.

Also, piloting Eva is what gives Asuka validation, arguably even comfort; it's her already-existing trauma that gives her such a tremendous need for it. This is still psychologically destructive for obvious reasons (Shinji has a loving mother in Unit-01 and piloting is still a horrific experience for him, after all) but I don't think that Eva-02 is uniquely bad for Asuka; I think she just has a harder time trusting her mother than Shinji does. (And who wouldn't, under the circumstances?)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dunno if Asuka's mother had an undiagnosed mental issue, but basically after the entry plug or sync test she comes out withdrawn or depressed. Which, i think, was where the "motherly aspect left in Eva" thing came about.

Was that EoE/D&R stuff? I just remember it being dumped on the audience shortly before Asuka discovers her body...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asukas mother had a stuffed doll that she refered to as Asuka and put all her love on as she started having her mental breakdown. You see Asuka hate the doll and demand her mother recognize her. When Asuka's mother killed herself she "killed" the doll, too which further messes with Asuka. All that is in the main series so its no EoE add on and appears pretty diagnosed even if the whole "asukas dad moved on to the nurse no problem instead of dealing with his wife" is not as clear.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just got caught up on the new dub news

well

Hopefully Tiffany Grant can still be Asuka in 4.0 so she doesn't end up murdering someone while wearing a foam Unit 02 suit or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

Just got caught up on the new dub news

well

Hopefully Tiffany Grant can still be Asuka in 4.0 so she doesn't end up murdering someone while wearing a foam Unit 02 suit or something

I doubt Funimation will change up the movies regardless of what Netflix does for their release of the series.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Unmature posted:

I need some good EVA figures on my shelf. What are the best ones? Would prefer something poseable but I could do some cool statues.

So this is a few pages back but it only got one answer and I figured I'd elaborate on it. For the TV series designs your options are the old Soul of Chogokin units for 00, 00 Kai, 01, 02, 03, and 04. I think there's Revoltechs for at least the main trio in that design too but I can't remember. For the Rebuild designs you have Revoltech figures for 00, 01, 02, 03, 05, mk 6, 08, 09, 13, and the rebuild of 02, plus a beast mode version of it. A lot of people swear by the Robot Damashii versions of Rebuild 00, 01, and 02 but those are like $120+ per to get now on the secondary market. Mafex is putting out a Rebuild version of unit 01 this month, with unit 02 coming this summer and 00 late this year. The Mafex or Revoltech releases are probably your best bet as you're okay with the Rebuild designs. As the other poster noted there's model releases but I'm far less familiar with those.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

lmfao that's almost as bad as that Elder Scroll Blades phone game looking like it was going to be a "AVAILABLE NOW!" Fallout Shelter style announcement at the last E3 and then turning out to be more like 1 year away.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 27, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

MagusDraco posted:

https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1109279696347291648

It's a redub and none of the main cast from the old dub are back

hot take: who cares, we already have versions with your voices and all of you probably sound hella different now anyway.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They didn’t do the dub as teenagers. Why would you think they changed

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm sure you all know better than I do but goddamn 25 years? It's bound to not be the same, just let someone else do it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Because people's voices change all the time. Singers specifically have to deal with primary and secondary vocal drops, I can't imagine VAs don't go through it as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol at the idea of just redoing a poo poo-rear end 90s VA delivery again. I'm sure Netflix wants Eva to sound like a PS1 cutscene voiceover.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Lol at the idea of just redoing a poo poo-rear end 90s VA delivery again. I'm sure Netflix wants Eva to sound like a PS1 cutscene voiceover.

The voice-actors all still work to this day and are great.

A 2019 redub would have the benefit of superior direction and scripting which is largely what kills more dubs than the VAs being bad at their jobs.

Unless Netflix is gonna spring for Hollywood actors or whatever instead of the usual voice-actor pool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People tend to not realize most lovely VAs are more direction than the actors themselves

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok, that's a fair point and one I've overlooked too often.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Yeah Amanda Winn-Lee would've had better direction in End of Evangelion had she not suffered under the poor adr direction of Jason Lee and Amanda Winn-Lee.

Like I don't hate her and honestly thank god she took it upon herself to produce the english version so people like me could own it on dvd but there is such a weird vibe to the movie as a result.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Weird BIAS posted:

Yeah Amanda Winn-Lee would've had better direction in End of Evangelion had she not suffered under the poor adr direction of Jason Lee and Amanda Winn-Lee.

Like I don't hate her and honestly thank god she took it upon herself to produce the english version so people like me could own it on dvd but there is such a weird vibe to the movie as a result.
I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't there something like the dub team being weirded out by End of Eva? Maybe even one of the actors refusing to participate or something? Was it on a commentary track or something?

It just seemed a little unprofessional to inject your opinion about what you're dubbing.
I could be completely wrong about this, I'm only half-remembering it.

EDIT: After some googling, it looks like the dub actors recorded a commentary track for the EoE DVD that is mostly inaccurate information about what's happening onscreen. It's highly maligned by Eva nerds, so I thiiiink that's what I was remembering?

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 27, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean actors are allowed to have opinions on stuff. Doesn’t mean they sandbagged or whatever. It seems more likely it suffered from what a lot of 90s dubs suffered from. The fact no one really cared about dubs. So the infrastructure just wasn’t there yet

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
My current feeling on dubs is that most from the late 80s to early 00s were pretty bad with no direction and not amazing actors; nowadays however the newer actors are actually way loving better but the directors and larger roles are the veterans from the 90s who still haven't improved.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
There wasn't enough money in it yet?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There are more than a few SegaCD/PS1 games where they literally grabbed someone in the office at the time to record dialogue, and the general quality of dubbing at the time wasn't much better with the pro VAs. But then again, people were trying to match lipflaps so you........ getreallybadlypaced dialogue..asa result.
Part of what made Bebop good, aside from the fact that the actors don't sound weird, is that the performance is more naturalistic and less forced than usual.

Zeruel posted:

There wasn't enough money in it yet?
Or brand awareness. There's enough cultural osmosis around now where you wouldn't take Gurren Lagaan and record a comm track saying "Yeah I just played Yoko angry because she's kind of a bitch right... hey remember on the first day when we just called her TittySniper420? Lol good times. . . Oh yeah dude dies here. I kept laughing at the face <actor> made so we had to keep doing retakes"
Studios now are less likely to just have someone inject changes into a series (Unless it's Ghost Stories because that one ruled) because they know the audience better. There's also less an idea that we can "improve" the story or whatever.

JazzFlight posted:

Was it on a commentary track or something?

EDIT: After some googling, it looks like the dub actors recorded a commentary track for the EoE DVD that is mostly inaccurate information about what's happening onscreen. It's highly maligned by Eva nerds, so I thiiiink that's what I was remembering?
The commentary track isn't great and it's mostly working actors bullshitting and getting along as the movie plays. In retrospect, I'm not sure what deep insights I expected from a commentary track but that sure wasn't it.
I should rewatch part of it just as a reminder...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 27, 2019

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Zebulon posted:

So this is a few pages back but it only got one answer and I figured I'd elaborate on it. For the TV series designs your options are the old Soul of Chogokin units for 00, 00 Kai, 01, 02, 03, and 04. I think there's Revoltechs for at least the main trio in that design too but I can't remember. For the Rebuild designs you have Revoltech figures for 00, 01, 02, 03, 05, mk 6, 08, 09, 13, and the rebuild of 02, plus a beast mode version of it. A lot of people swear by the Robot Damashii versions of Rebuild 00, 01, and 02 but those are like $120+ per to get now on the secondary market. Mafex is putting out a Rebuild version of unit 01 this month, with unit 02 coming this summer and 00 late this year. The Mafex or Revoltech releases are probably your best bet as you're okay with the Rebuild designs. As the other poster noted there's model releases but I'm far less familiar with those.

Thanks!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

JazzFlight posted:

I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't there something like the dub team being weirded out by End of Eva? Maybe even one of the actors refusing to participate or something? Was it on a commentary track or something?

What basically happened, if I remember correctly, is that the Death and Rebirth + EoE dub productions started immediately after post wrappsed up on the series and were both done in a huge, singular marathon production, so by the time they got around to EoE all of the crew were completely burned out psychologically, which - combined with just how heavy EoE is - is why EoE's dub has so much weird poo poo in it. AWL mentions in the commentary that there were points where she was literally having to stay up all night doing cleanup for scene scripts that she was going to have to then direct at the crack of dawn the following day, because the production wasn't given remotely the amount of time or budget it deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CharlestheHammer posted:

People tend to not realize most lovely VAs are more direction than the actors themselves

Allison Keith started off rough as Misato, but by the time you get midway through the series she has the character absolutely nailed.