Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Everytime I am struck by the rich tapestry of emotions contained in that brief shot. It was at that moment I first understood readers who felt the KingSlayer wasn't just some monster - but a person just like you and me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Sometimes I think about how awesome Kelly C’s story would be if it had been separate from ASoIaF and also written by someone better at writing and better at finishing things and better at understanding teenage girls. Like Ursula LeGuin (though to be fair I think almost all fantasy would be improved by having been written by LeGuin).

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Virginia Woolf's Breaker of Chains

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
JK Rowling's Daenerys Tagaryen and the Sons of the Harpy would be fine at the time of release but a decade later she would reveal that Dany did actually poo poo herself in the desert.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

In It For The Tank posted:

JK Rowling's Daenerys Tagaryen and the Sons of the Harpy would be fine at the time of release but a decade later she would reveal that Dany did actually poo poo herself in the desert.

The progressive twist is that she enjoyed it, don't kinkshame.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

less laughter posted:

Virginia Woolf's Breaker of Chains

You joke, but I would read the hell out of that.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://camelotbooks.com/books/detail/clash-of-kings-a-storm-of-swords-a-feast-of-crows

Imagine paying that sort of money to collect a middling series that rapidly very slowly declined in to actual garbage and won't even be completed to boot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Steven Erikson's A Songbook of Ice and Fire: Book 12: The Iron Price

Not a woman, but I'd rather Erikson do the series than GRRM.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doctor Faustine posted:

Sometimes I think about how awesome Kelly C’s story would be if it had been separate from ASoIaF and also written by someone better at writing and better at finishing things and better at understanding teenage girls. Like Ursula LeGuin (though to be fair I think almost all fantasy would be improved by having been written by LeGuin).

I'm a total fangril

Only registered members can see post attachments!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1110581669784899584

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
if there's one author i'd trust with complex female protagonists and dragons, it's Barbara Hambly, and i'd absolutely read Dragonspawn

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

if there's one author i'd trust with complex female protagonists and dragons, it's Barbara Hambly, and i'd absolutely read Dragonspawn

loving hell, inject it into my veins.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I read every word from that stupid subtitle man and all I could glean was that I hate him

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Doing a series re-watch and trying to focus on the good things rather than the bad. Like Arya busting out laughing when she hears that her aunt Lyssa died.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Doing a series re-watch and trying to focus on the good things rather than the bad. Like Arya busting out laughing when she hears that her aunt Lyssa died.

Also doing a rewatch, just finished Season 2. Is it just me or are all scenes involving the Greyjoys/Ironborn painful to watch? The idiotic plan to attack the North, the unrelenting poo poo-talk directed at Theon even after he has captured Winterfell, etc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thatfatkid posted:

Also doing a rewatch, just finished Season 2. Is it just me or are all scenes involving the Greyjoys/Ironborn painful to watch? The idiotic plan to attack the North, the unrelenting poo poo-talk directed at Theon even after he has captured Winterfell, etc.

Yes. Every Greyjoy scene without Yara in it is painful to watch, and it gets worse the further you head into the show and it just devolves into Theon and Ramsay's Happy Fun Time Torture Show for like 2 and half years. But then again that's the Greyjoys in a nutshell even in the books, a bunch of painfully dumb short sighted idiots who loving luv 2 commit treason so loving hard and the only sensible one of the bunch (Yara/Asha) gets laughed at so hard when she says "Hey, maybe we should stop being rear end in a top hat backstabbers just a tiny bit" that she literally falls out of the plot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kcroy posted:

I'm a total fangril

So how do these hold up compared to the original Dragonriders trilogy? I recently got around to reading it and it was good. I wanted to continue but it looks like a bunch of the books afterwards were either prequel stuff or just background filler?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes. Every Greyjoy scene without Yara in it is painful to watch, and it gets worse the further you head into the show and it just devolves into Theon and Ramsay's Happy Fun Time Torture Show for like 2 and half years. But then again that's the Greyjoys in a nutshell even in the books, a bunch of painfully dumb short sighted idiots who loving luv 2 commit treason so loving hard and the only sensible one of the bunch (Yara/Asha) gets laughed at so hard when she says "Hey, maybe we should stop being rear end in a top hat backstabbers just a tiny bit" that she literally falls out of the plot.

Very much so. Asha is a bit like Davos in that they are there to point out how dumb everything is while being powerless to stop it, but Davos' contraint about beingunable to change things is a lot better. He's lowborn scum and his king is both an underdog and utterly inflexible, while also being in the thrall of the only religion with actuak power in the show.

Meanwhile, she's the presumptive heiress of her father for 10 years, respected and loved by all at first but then ignored and scorned when the plot requires her to be sidetracked. It's almost amusing how GRRM stumbles with the social contraints and barriers that supposedly limit his characters. See, Asha, Aeron and Victarion can't just kill or arrest Euron, because ironborn must never shed the blood of ron born and it would 'look bad'. Meanwhile, said crazy weird pirate is bouncing around the island killing lords with just the crew of one ship and no one gives a toss, even before he is crowned because guys, his horn was really loud, plus, dragons somewhere!

It's a bit like he never cares to give numbers to the Lannister armies; they are essentially infinite, because hey, he needed them to be the main power of that part of the story. Army wrecked at the Whispering Wood? No worries. Routing another larger force at Riverrun? They have reserves. A whole drat host crushed at Oxcross,with the lands of 5 houses plundered? No sweat, zero repercussions. Main army stopped crossing into the Riverlands fighting upstream and forced to a retreat? Not only are they fine but they teleport back to King's Landing soon afterward in top shape. And that's just in 2 books, as he cares even less from that point onward.

Meanwhile,every single problem of the Starks is pressing and real and about to undo them. They have less and 19k forces, and melting away by the day! If they stop, men will desert and head home for a harvest! Their lords are quarrisome and disloyal! This Karstark guy is so mad he literally forces the King to kill him, while forgetting that his firstborn is a hostage! Oh noes, a whole house defected! Hey, remember when they won the Battle of the Fjords? That was actually a defeat! He wanted the Lannisters to cross, which was why he didn't tell his uncle poo poo about his master plans!

Guess it's what happens when you have to force a status quo for so long while still giving the appearance of a dynamic plot.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
On a positive note, the Spice King in Qarth and the Arya/Tywin Harrenhall scenes are really enjoyable and well-done. Shame that the show writers seem to have forgotten how to write engaging scenes,

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Fluffy posted:

So how do these hold up compared to the original Dragonriders trilogy? I recently got around to reading it and it was good. I wanted to continue but it looks like a bunch of the books afterwards were either prequel stuff or just background filler?

They are different. It's about a 14(?) year old girl and it weaves in and out of the main timeline. I think it is towards the end of the trilogy timewise. It's less "HeavyMetal (The Movie) "and more uh... "Mean Girls?" Maybe its more on par with the White Dragon where you have this coming of age story. Personally I loving loved it and re-read it a bunch of times. But like, I read it as a teenager, and have zero idea how it holds up. You might find it a bit too "Young Adult", sort of the way Harry Potter was YA ( at first at least those last few books were loving dark ).

I'd give it a shot

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

dues-paying member of the north american chapter of the Edmure Apologists' Club (EAC)

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

dues-paying member of the north american chapter of the Edmure Apologists' Club (EAC)

Still haven’t forgiven him for stabbing Mance

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Evil Fluffy posted:

I read the lot and the later books are about how people arrived on Pern initially which was by spaceship fyi and they pretty bad. It's all spaceship logistics and fuel etc.

"thread" arrives and people are like "oh poo poo it's raining little thread things and they melt people. You would think the solution would be like an underground plasteel bunker or so but instead they build flame throwers and mount them on their hoover cars and fly around burning thread mid air. Then one of their biologists get a better idea and they take some lizards and bio engineer them into massive dragons in a few weeks using their bio-engineer machine. They make boats and sail off to the continent where the original books take place on and gradually shed advanced tech on the way as it wears out.

The final book was wholly unrelated to anything in the previous books. It's about a horse-girl who likes horses and gets a job tending horses on the spaceship going to Pern. It's all about her and tending horses and how the other kids are kind of jerks.

Pretty sure the last two are just wholly unrelated stories that were given the name so they would sell better or maybe a condition of the publisher :v:

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

PupsOfWar posted:

Edmure did nothing wrong and Robb was a terrible leader that got what he deserved.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

thatfatkid posted:

On a positive note, the Spice King in Qarth and the Arya/Tywin Harrenhall scenes are really enjoyable and well-done. Shame that the show writers seem to have forgotten how to write engaging scenes,

Arya/Tywin was really entertaining and a good reminder that one can write new stuff that still follows the spirit of a work.

Similar episodes were Oberyn's speech to Tyrion in his cell when he accepts to be his champion. In the book, it's him belittling the Imp just as he arrives in the city and showing he's not there to be a pawn. in the show, it's a far more humane and personal scene, of him basically recognising Tyrion's humanity being as important as his own need for justice.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The beetle story proved that the show writers can top GRRM if they wanted/had the time to.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Katt posted:

The beetle story proved that the show writers can top GRRM if they wanted/had the time to.

No kidding! Pretty much all of the Jaime/Tyrion scenes were good, mostly because 1- They were there, unlike in the books where it's just alluded until things go to poo poo, and 2- Good actors woth a habdle on their characters can be trusted to bring even midling material to a good level.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Very much so. Asha is a bit like Davos in that they are there to point out how dumb everything is while being powerless to stop it, but Davos' contraint about beingunable to change things is a lot better. He's lowborn scum and his king is both an underdog and utterly inflexible, while also being in the thrall of the only religion with actuak power in the show.

Meanwhile, she's the presumptive heiress of her father for 10 years, respected and loved by all at first but then ignored and scorned when the plot requires her to be sidetracked. It's almost amusing how GRRM stumbles with the social contraints and barriers that supposedly limit his characters. See, Asha, Aeron and Victarion can't just kill or arrest Euron, because ironborn must never shed the blood of ron born and it would 'look bad'. Meanwhile, said crazy weird pirate is bouncing around the island killing lords with just the crew of one ship and no one gives a toss, even before he is crowned because guys, his horn was really loud, plus, dragons somewhere!

It's a bit like he never cares to give numbers to the Lannister armies; they are essentially infinite, because hey, he needed them to be the main power of that part of the story. Army wrecked at the Whispering Wood? No worries. Routing another larger force at Riverrun? They have reserves. A whole drat host crushed at Oxcross,with the lands of 5 houses plundered? No sweat, zero repercussions. Main army stopped crossing into the Riverlands fighting upstream and forced to a retreat? Not only are they fine but they teleport back to King's Landing soon afterward in top shape. And that's just in 2 books, as he cares even less from that point onward.

Meanwhile,every single problem of the Starks is pressing and real and about to undo them. They have less and 19k forces, and melting away by the day! If they stop, men will desert and head home for a harvest! Their lords are quarrisome and disloyal! This Karstark guy is so mad he literally forces the King to kill him, while forgetting that his firstborn is a hostage! Oh noes, a whole house defected! Hey, remember when they won the Battle of the Fjords? That was actually a defeat! He wanted the Lannisters to cross, which was why he didn't tell his uncle poo poo about his master plans!

Guess it's what happens when you have to force a status quo for so long while still giving the appearance of a dynamic plot.

Sorry that you didn't like the plot of the first two books I guess? You know these are works of fiction right? Weird to talk about 'forcing the status quo' or whatever when the only thing driving the plot is whatever the author chooses to write.

Just seems odd to complain about military realism in a fiction series with dragons and ice zombies is all

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I'll always be sad the house of the undying stuff was so botched in the show, it's one of my favorite sequence s in the books.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Zasze posted:

I'll always be sad the house of the undying stuff was so botched in the show, it's one of my favorite sequence s in the books.

It could've been really cool, but it seems like it would be a monstrously expensive scene to do faithfully to the books.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

pseudanonymous posted:

It could've been really cool, but it seems like it would be a monstrously expensive scene to do faithfully to the books.

They could have pulled it off but you’re right. I think a lackluster eh was better than going whole hog and loving it up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

pseudanonymous posted:

The show has a budget of $15,000,000 an episode

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

less laughter posted:

Now. The first two seasons were much lower budget.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

less laughter posted:

Of which 10 million is spent on carpenters sawing legs off of furniture for scenes with Kit Harington and then buying new ones for when other actors enter the same scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

Of which 10 million is spent on carpenters sawing legs off of furniture for scenes with Kit Harington and then buying new ones for when other actors enter the same scene.

I love how everyone thinks Kit Harrington is tiny now because he appeared in one picture with Sophie Turner and Gwendoline Christie who are both like 8 feet tall.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Turner is 5'9" and Christie is 6'3". He's 5'8".

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Any man under 6’1” is short.

Kit Harrington must have seen Tinder height verification coming before he decided to settle and get married.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Drone Jett posted:

Any man under 6’1” is short.

You're goddamn right they are. loving manlets.

Also, from my perspective, Gwendoline's not terribly tall.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how everyone thinks Kit Harrington is tiny now because he appeared in one picture with Sophie Turner and Gwendoline Christie who are both like 8 feet tall.

It's more of a meme now. It's a funny picture though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So are there real spoilers yet? I don't count those incoherent ramblings posted earlier about characters all meeting up at winterfell which anyone could have guessed at based on the previews we've seen so far.