Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Motronic posted:

Have you considered looking at used commercial equipment? I've always been able to find deals on walk behinds and even zero turns that are getting long in the tooth for 10 hours a day 6 day a week service, but would probably last you the life of your home with a couple of minor repairs along the way when getting used once a week.

angryrobots posted:

Also, coming from a 42" tractor to any size zero turn is going to save a ton of time. You don't realize how much time you waste on a tractor on corners, where a zero turn can just whip around or just go back and forth. Point being, you could do with less than a 54" and still cut way faster than currently.

Both good points that I hadn't really considered seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coathat
May 21, 2007

Check all the gates and any sharp turns you’ll have to make because a whole lot of new mowers get returned because people buy a bigger one than they need.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Also, coming from a 42" tractor to any size zero turn is going to save a ton of time. You don't realize how much time you waste on a tractor on corners, where a zero turn can just whip around or just go back and forth. Point being, you could do with less than a 54" and still cut way faster than currently.

This is a really good point. I went from a 54" walk behind to using a 54" deck on my tractor at the new place. It's way loving slower to use the tractor (and I have a lot more trimming to do) when I'm too lazy to walk it.

Yes, I choose the tractor most times. I'm dumb enough to not mind trimming and hanging out listening to podcasts breathing diesel fumes is fine with me.

Son of Sam-I-Am, want to come pick up my old rear end formerly commercially used walk behind in eastern PA? It's a mess, but it cuts nice. And I think I just convinced myself that I won't use it again.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No, thanks, I'm in Michigan so it wouldn't make sense. My wife is also already dead set against another project mower, and after all the time I sank into the Craftsman I don't blame her.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

Motronic posted:

This is a really good point. I went from a 54" walk behind to using a 54" deck on my tractor at the new place. It's way loving slower to use the tractor (and I have a lot more trimming to do) when I'm too lazy to walk it.

Yes, I choose the tractor most times. I'm dumb enough to not mind trimming and hanging out listening to podcasts breathing diesel fumes is fine with me.

Son of Sam-I-Am, want to come pick up my old rear end formerly commercially used walk behind in eastern PA? It's a mess, but it cuts nice. And I think I just convinced myself that I won't use it again.

I’m in Lancaster and just moved to a place on an acre. I’d take it if you’re offering.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Koryk posted:

I’m in Lancaster and just moved to a place on an acre. I’d take it if you’re offering.

If you've got a trailer or a pickup and ramps so you can move it you're welcome to it. It ran fine when I started it to load + unload from the trailer when I moved it last summer.

90s (I think) Scag with a Kohler Magnum 20.

I need to clean out this barn so I can demo it to build a bigger one. The fewer things I need to stuff into a trailer the better.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Thanks, sent you a PM.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Anyone have recommended brands/types of stains for an old (~20years) deck in the northeast US?

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheBananaKing posted:

Anyone have recommended brands/types of stains for an old (~20years) deck in the northeast US?

I've liked oil-based Cabot semi-transparent stains (semi-transparent if you want some pigment in it). Pressure wash and let it dry first. Goes on pretty well with rollers and/or pads. We've gotten a few years on a pressure-treated deck, a couple more years on top of that for a cedar deck. This is with somewhat high traffic and snow shoveling.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been faffing about over the purchase of a table saw for, what, a year? Instead of continuing to deliberate I cut my holiday 2 days shorter which more than covers the cost of a DeWalt DW745. I went for a high-end job site saw rather than a low-end cabinet saw because it seemed like a better return on investment and flexibility for keeping the dang thing around the place.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been faffing about over the purchase of a table saw for, what, a year? Instead of continuing to deliberate I cut my holiday 2 days shorter which more than covers the cost of a DeWalt DW745. I went for a high-end job site saw rather than a low-end cabinet saw because it seemed like a better return on investment and flexibility for keeping the dang thing around the place.

that is a sweet saw, be careful

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

that is a sweet saw, be careful

yessir, the only thing that's a bit of a concern is that people are saying the riving knife sits higher than the blade so you can't do rebate cuts with it on, but we'll see. Kickback is no joke.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Isn't that adjustable?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Isn't that adjustable?

I would assume so, this is purely based on amazon reviews so it may just turn out to be someone who can't read the manual.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
AFAIK that is pretty standard on all tables with a riving knife. You just take them out to do rebate cuts.

Make a proper push stick. There are several designs out there but you want one that contacts the board across the top, not just a notch stick that pushes the back. Downward force on the piece will help prevent kickbacks.

Something like this

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Just pick up a push stick set like this one: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71009-Safety-Package-5-Piece/dp/B00LPR5I1I

The benefit is that they have rubber grips to grab the wood, and you always have one that fits the piece you're trying to cut. Unless you have plywood/other scrap lying around, making your own out of wood is going to cost more, and they won't be as nice. The dayglow orange is also nice, because they won't get lost on your cluttered workbench.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

TFW you get injured making an improvised safety device

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

B-Nasty posted:

Just pick up a push stick set like this one: https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71009-Safety-Package-5-Piece/dp/B00LPR5I1I

The benefit is that they have rubber grips to grab the wood, and you always have one that fits the piece you're trying to cut. Unless you have plywood/other scrap lying around, making your own out of wood is going to cost more, and they won't be as nice. The dayglow orange is also nice, because they won't get lost on your cluttered workbench.

those rubber grip flat bottom ones are not meant to be used to push the wood. The rubber will slip (I have seen it) not to mention get worn out making it more prone to slip. the little notch stick is a guide stick or push stick for bandsaws, I wouldn't trust one as a push stick on a table saw at all.

What woodworker doesn't have scrap laying around? And a sheet of plywood is like $10, you should always have at least one in the shop to make jigs, shims, push sticks, etc.

The most common cause of a kickback is downward pressure on the back of the board when it is not fully on the table causing it to rise in the blade.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

those rubber grip flat bottom ones are not meant to be used to push the wood. The rubber will slip (I have seen it) not to mention get worn out making it more prone to slip.

Sure they are; give me a break. I have a set, and I haven't had any issue with grip over time. If it gets dirty/dusty, just clean the rubber with soap and water and it should be as good as new. Anyway, you shouldn't be pushing with a ton of force using any kind of stick, and you should always be considering where your hand will go if the piece moves suddenly or the push stick fails to hold onto the wood.

Personally, I don't find any pleasure in hand-crafting artisanal push sticks/blocks; they're just a means to the end that I actually care about. I'd rather have an assortment of lightweight plastic versions than clunky plywood ones, especially for $17.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
get a microjig

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

JEEVES420 posted:

What woodworker doesn't have scrap laying around?

Seeing as I'm my own on-site carpenter right now, I have stacks and piles of it. However..

B-Nasty posted:

Personally, I don't find any pleasure in hand-crafting artisanal push sticks/blocks; they're just a means to the end that I actually care about. I'd rather have an assortment of lightweight plastic versions than clunky plywood ones, especially for $17.

I do agree with this. However, they're a lil more expensive for the same set in the UK (not much, but enough) and it'll take me five minutes to jigsaw a rough shape, after which I'll have a better idea of what does or doesn't work for me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

get a microjig

The weird £50 plastic cube with knobs on?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This is my fancy phallic push stick. I made it in three minutes and it cost $0 and it works great.
I use those pad things running thin stuff on the jointer sometimes except I use some rubber grout/masonry floats.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is my fancy phallic push stick. I made it in three minutes and it cost $0 and it works great.
I use those pad things running thin stuff on the jointer sometimes except I use some rubber grout/masonry floats.

Exactly, it doesn't have to be fancy and doesn't take more than a few minutes with a jigsaw. the flat tops are for jointer/sander control.

I use these on the jointer for the flip down catches but if the stock is too thin, 2 of them with good amount of downward force works.

https://www.amazon.com/GRR-RIP-BLOC...122766233&psc=1

Micro jigs are crazy expensive and overly complex IMO.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I want to get some files. A cursory look on Amazon shows that you can get individual files, sans handles, for a bit under $10 apiece, or a half-dozen in a set for $30-40. Is this one of those situations where the sets are adequate-but-not-amazing, or is it one where you have to pay large amounts of money per tool if you want something that won't be frustrating to use?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Picked up an open box discount Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw for my wife to go with her grandfather's old drill, teeny circular saw, and few other One+ goodies come Easter. Vetted it while she's out and I want one now. The light weight and lack of cord around a demo project would be blissful as much as I love my corded DeWalt.

Have a commission payment coming in that I'll throw at a brushless Makita. Thinking single-battery to max out convenience since I still have my corded for tougher stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Butch Cassidy posted:

Picked up an open box discount Ryobi 18v reciprocating saw for my wife to go with her grandfather's old drill, teeny circular saw, and few other One+ goodies come Easter. Vetted it while she's out and I want one now. The light weight and lack of cord around a demo project would be blissful as much as I love my corded DeWalt.

Have a commission payment coming in that I'll throw at a brushless Makita. Thinking single-battery to max out convenience since I still have my corded for tougher stuff.

Do you and your wife not share power tools??

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If your thought is the 18v Ryobi isn't powerful enough for you but the brushless Makita will be I would just like to point out that Ryobi sells both a brushless and... brushed? non-brushless? version as well. Don't know which version you bought but the brushless Ryobi if you haven't tried it may be perfectly fine for "light duty" stuff where you don't want to pull out your corded one. If you did buy the non-brushless you may want to consider just returning it in exchange for the brushless if you already have the Ryobi battery system.

I used a brushless Ryobi, with a Milwaukee blade, to chop an old screw drive garage door opener into pieces that'd fit into a trash can, wasn't quick but that's not really a light duty job either and I believe I got it done with one already partially used battery.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Not a power thing, I'm running Makita kit for the most part so it's just to use my batteries. A used brushless is only a bit more spendy than a brushed so might as well.

Sockser posted:

Do you and your wife not share power tools??

Nope. She asked for her own tool kit a while back and inhereted some Ryobi stuff to begin with so I've been obliging. Life's pretty nice when a family or multi-family project has enough equipment for people to actually work.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 27, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

UK goons if there's a homebase anywhere near you they're selling off a ton of Ryobi at great prices, apparently some stores even had twin packs of 5Ah batteries for £58.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

UK goons if there's a homebase anywhere near you they're selling off a ton of Ryobi at great prices, apparently some stores even had twin packs of 5Ah batteries for £58.

Are Ryobi actually good? I have a lot of trouble telling the difference between less-than-household-name brands and generic repackaged B&Q junk.

Edit: and I'm looking at the Ryobi products homebase sells, and a) I'm always wary of something being sold off cheap because why, b) they seem to be end of life, and c) they universally have lovely reviews.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 27, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ryobi is adequate for the majority of people and used/refurb prices can be a genuine bargain. I picked up a refurb green 18 volt kit with one drill, little circular saw, 1.3ah battery, and charger for 20 USD a few months back. Loaner tools for that price? Sure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ryobi makes quite a few weird tools that no one else has.

Underwater vacuum, anyone?

Ryobi is the low end of the major brands, but it’s as major brand.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I use the hell out of the Ryobi cordless hot glue gun. That thing is awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They're fine. I wouldn't use them if I needed commercial job tools, but for the price they're better than the crappy shops-own brand. I like using the same batteries in my mower, demo saw, drills, jigsaw etc. I think they've the best range for home use, but if you wanted better kit you'd only have to deal with a half-dozen different chargers.

Ryobi are also showing no signs of being near end-of-life as they keep releasing new tools on the same battery.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Butch Cassidy posted:

Ryobi is adequate for the majority of people and used/refurb prices can be a genuine bargain. I picked up a refurb green 18 volt kit with one drill, little circular saw, 1.3ah battery, and charger for 20 USD a few months back. Loaner tools for that price? Sure.

I was cutting down a giant MF'ing Bradford pear tree today with a corded pole saw and looking at a Ryobi cordless pole saw for ~110 U.S. my order finger is getting itchy....

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A coworker loves his pole saw to bits, FWIW. Our gas trimmer finally kicked the bucket and he's got me sold on picking up Ryobi's 18 volt string trimmer once the snow's gone and I have a yard to care about.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Mambold posted:

I was cutting down a giant MF'ing Bradford pear tree today

Doing the Lᴏʀᴅ’ꜱ work.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

Doing the Lᴏʀᴅ’ꜱ work.

Pulled the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

Well, I'm probably going to have to return it, because it arrived with a single plastic knob snapped off and Amazon doesn't really understand the concept of warranty parts replacement outside of "return it and we'll feed it back into the system".

I'm working on contacting a nearby dewalt service center but they seem to be a little lovely about being contactable.

I knew I was in for trouble when I pulled it out of the box and two small pieces of plastic and a screw fell out. I still haven't figured out where the screw came from.