Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Apologies for the low quality but I spotted this ages ago when I only had a crummy flip phone and only recently rediscovered it:

"just roofline my poo poo up brah"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Stained concrete works as flooring in an industrial-rehab apartment. It does not work in a 1980s contemporary house.

This floor owns actually.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

C.M. Kruger posted:

Apologies for the low quality but I spotted this ages ago when I only had a crummy flip phone and only recently rediscovered it:

"just roofline my poo poo up brah"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stained concrete floors absolutely own in houses.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Counterpoint: hope you never drop a dish in your kitchen

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Concrete floors are bad but not because they break dishes.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, I can imagine sitting on the toilet taking a huge poo poo when the rollerdoor starts sliding upwards and the entire world is now watching me poop like something out of a nightmare.
So you are a grown man afraid to poo poo in public?? clicky

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I was thinking prairie dogs, but this works.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Anne Whateley posted:

What do you have in your kitchen that won't break a dish?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Thick, luxurious shag carpet, what else?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

concrete is good for dropping children onto, also

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have lovely vinyl roll flooring I can’t wait to replace with tile but my god has it saved me from breaking a countless number of glasses.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

~Coxy posted:

Yeah, I was curious about this as well. Tile seems pretty standard in kitchens nowadays. Back in the day, they used maple in kitchens because it was harder than the oak throughout the rest of the house, and less likely to gouge if you dropped a pan on it. People like hard kitchen floors.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Lots of southwest homes including my own from the 30s-50s have concrete floors as original because construction is all slab here and back then it was mostly evaporative cooling so a giant thermal mass that stayed comparatively cool was a welcome feature and cheap to boot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dishes, in my experience, usually survive the fall onto tile.

Glasses usually break, unless they’re the four-millimetre-thick ones I hate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Are you extremely short or are your dishes made of plastic, paper, and styrofoam

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

A big advantage of linoleum is a lot of stuff survives a drop onto it that might not on harder surfaces.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If I drop a dish, I try to get it to land on my foot first. That way it doesn't hit the ground nearly as hard. But how often does this come up, really?

Bare concrete floors suck because they're cold. You need a million rugs if you're going to do anything without wearing shoes/slippers.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I drop a dish, I try to get it to land on my foot first. That way it doesn't hit the ground nearly as hard. But how often does this come up, really?

That sort of muscle memory will just result in stabbing yourself when you end up dropping a sharp knife. Much safer to build the habit of just letting whatever drop and scooting clear of whatever's falling.

E: for cold, you should have infloor heating if you have concrete.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Every time I've tried to catch something with my foot, I end up punting it across the room.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bajaha posted:

That sort of muscle memory will just result in stabbing yourself when you end up dropping a sharp knife. Much safer to build the habit of just letting whatever drop and scooting clear of whatever's falling.

It is true that you need enough time to do the "wait is this thing sharp" check before you stick your foot out. I once nearly stabbed myself with a drillbit, still in the drill I'd just dropped.

quote:

E: for cold, you should have infloor heating if you have concrete.

Yeah, it'd be really nice if the builders that made my 70-year-old home had thought of that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If I drop a dish, I try to get it to land on my foot first.

You know how if you drop something while sitting down you instinctively slam your legs together in hopes of catching it on your lap? Bad idea if you're dropping
- raw egg
- knife
- sharp pencil
- small cat

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

At the age of 34 my wife finally forced me to buy my first pair of slippers and I just feel like a drat fool for not doing this sooner.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All my kitchens have always had wood floors. We also use those nice foam mats that make standing a bit easier on you and those will also save anything dropped on them pretty well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jerry Cotton posted:

You know how if you drop something while sitting down you instinctively slam your legs together in hopes of catching it on your lap? Bad idea if you're dropping
- raw egg
- knife
- sharp pencil
- small cat

I'm not familiar with this recipe?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

glynnenstein posted:

A big advantage of linoleum is a lot of stuff survives a drop onto it that might not on harder surfaces.
And you can make it yourself with a tub of margarine and a blowtorch!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm not familiar with this recipe?
It's Chinese.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Youth Decay posted:

Stained concrete works as flooring in an industrial-rehab apartment. It does not work in a 1980s contemporary house.

DID YOU KNOW most carpet places will custom cut and bind any wall to wall carpet you like to make custom area rugs? We did this in our house for the bedrooms. Comfort of nice carpet in the bedrooms, roll them up and shampoo the life out of them once a year in the driveway to keep them clean! I'd do that in this house if I loved everything else about it except for those floors.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Stained concrete floors absolutely own in houses.

This looks awesome for dog owners. Being able to sweep up all the hair and random leaves and dirt and poo poo from outside without half of it getting stuck between tiles (which always happens if they aren't perfectly flush) would be a huge advantage.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Bajaha posted:

If there's one my high-school job in a meat market drilled into my head it's that a falling knife has no handle.

I'm happy to say I left that job with all my digits intact. Can't say the same for the guy who lost a fingertip on a slicer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xergm posted:

If there's one my high-school job in a meat market drilled into my head it's that a falling knife has no handle.

I'm happy to say I left that job with all my digits intact. Can't say the same for the guy who lost a fingertip on a slicer.

Have a friend with 3 pretty nasty burn scars on his hand for doing this 3 times but with a soldering iron.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

Also: tin backsplash?

Er, I put stained concrete in my late 70's house in the kitchen. Looks just fine. I like it. *shrug*

Anne Whateley posted:

I hosed up 2 pots in the first month after I got the floor done. Lids no longer fit but still good fer cookin'!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The stained concrete looks like a good substitute for tile, but I wouldn't want it all over the house. Even with the decorative staining, it looks pretty industrial.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Platystemon posted:

I dropped a mason jar on the lovely tile in our kitchen and the tile broke while the jar was fine.

But yeah, concrete is bad for the body to be standing on for any length of time, apart from being cold. It's also uncomfortable to sit, crawl or lie on, so good luck if you have kids.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

beep-beep car is go posted:

DID YOU KNOW most carpet places will custom cut and bind any wall to wall carpet you like to make custom area rugs? We did this in our house for the bedrooms. Comfort of nice carpet in the bedrooms, roll them up and shampoo the life out of them once a year in the driveway to keep them clean! I'd do that in this house if I loved everything else about it except for those floors.
We did this for our living room and it’s fantastic. Highly recommended.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is dropping stuff a huge problem? I'm pretty sure I've gone at least a decade without dropping something breakable in the kitchen.

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's Chinese.

Witty and original!

PS tell us again about crusting your jorts over the international feminist Lego agenda

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Bloop posted:

Are you extremely short or are your dishes made of plastic, paper, and styrofoam

Neither.

I just don’t buy my dishes at the pound shop.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

Also: tin backsplash?

What the christ is this.

Puss in Boots, cop badge, yellow speedy car. Flowers!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

value-brand cereal posted:

What the christ is this.

Puss in Boots, cop badge, yellow speedy car. Flowers!

Dirk Gently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I'm more upset about the off center fireplace to be honest.