Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

TheFluff posted:

If that rumor about taping out Ampere this week is true (and Ampere is compute only AFAIUI, no consumer parts), then I'd be very surprised if we see the corresponding consumer cards any sooner than a year from now. Summer/fall 2020 seems more likely to me.

At the same time unless 7mn is so much more expensive than 12nm for the same number of transistors that it cancels out the area reduction and corresponding yield increase, it would probably not be a good idea to keep on pumping out these enormous, power hungry and defect prone Turing dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Global illumination makes anything prettier :angel:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
People poo poo on it but Crysis 2 came out with global illumination and screen space reflections at a time when they were not normal and it looked amazing (I'm 99% sure Crysis 2 was the first game to use GI but doing a search for it just brings up pages of turbonerds arguing semantics)

It did regress in a lot of ways technically compared to the first game but those two bits were a standout

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's a WCCF link, so extreme salt alert, but: https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-unleashed-gpu-lineup-leaked-xe-power-2-flagship-graphics-card-roadmap-and-more/amp/

350W TDP on the flagship card with *three* 8-pin connectors. If you needed any other proof this was Raja's baby...

$699 with an "optional" AIO package.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 1, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Oh come on, that's a marketing leak. Promotional video with "Do not leak" and no takedowns issued, etc.
"My source has told me (extremely specific info)", yeah your source is Intel PR getting the word out.

I mean, interesting info, just seems too convenient.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a WCCF link, so extreme salt alert, but: https://wccftech.com/intel-xe-unleashed-gpu-lineup-leaked-xe-power-2-flagship-graphics-card-roadmap-and-more/amp/

350W TDP on the flagship card with *three* 8-pin connectors. If you needed any other proof this was Raja's baby...

350 watts holy moly

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I thought that was an AMD card before I clicked the link.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ufarn posted:

I thought that was an AMD card before I clicked the link.

Well, guess Watt? :v:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is the best slide:

Come on, marketing, do words mean nothing?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stickman posted:

This is the best slide:

Look it's pretty clear

You're getting an 8 in 2023

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
That slide doesn't make it clear but they mean number of GPU chiplets not some unitless measure of performance, this is likely all fake though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I, for one, look forward to going from x++ to x++++++++

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Look it's pretty clear

You're getting an 8 in 2023

Linear things are not exponential even if you put the number in a superscript. And if you're going to say it's exponential, you should probably fudge that very linear graph to make it at least look exponential!

E: Oh, :thejoke:'d :thejoke:?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Direct3d 14?
4D XPoint memory?
April 1st?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Direct3d 14?
4D XPoint memory?
April 1st?

June 31st, 2020 :cripes:

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Stickman posted:

This is the best slide:

That’s some drat quality nerd targeted April Foolsin’

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

im the 8tb/sec of memory bandwidth

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, it's a joke. I missed the June 31st release date mention.

That being said, it wouldn't be out of Intel's character to develop an overly-complex GPU that has a ton of potential save for providing no incentive to develop for it.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

im the 8tb/sec of memory bandwidth

Come on how was this not a massive giveaway (well along with everything else)

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

eames posted:

A pretty credible theory is that the VRMs of the 2080ti produce too much thermal dissipation too close to four of the VRAM chips. The relatively massive copper power plane transfers the heat to the chips and cooks them from below. Reputable review sites have measured >100°C at the back of the PCB between VRM and GPU where those chips are. The one in the hottest location is also the one chip that's left empty on the 1080ti.
Many of the newer third party cards now have a big copper shim around the GPU to better cool the VRAM chips.

Yeah, on another forum there was a guy who went through five cards because he was stress testing them. He figured if the card was going to fail he wanted to know right away. He used different PC's and power supplies for the testing as well.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My absolute favourite part of this is having the water-cooled boost clock be literally e GHz (2.718281828)

If Intel actually did that I'd buy the gently caress out of that poo poo, GSync monitors be damned

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

That’s some drat quality nerd targeted April Foolsin’

They've got me pegged :v:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Thread can you help me with rtx2080 choices. I’ve only looked at gigabyte stuff so far, and between $1000-$1500 Aussie dollaroos there’s like 5 different ones from them. I haven’t kept up with brands/pc stuff so I’m kinda lost

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

eames posted:

A pretty credible theory is that the VRMs of the 2080ti produce too much thermal dissipation too close to four of the VRAM chips. The relatively massive copper power plane transfers the heat to the chips and cooks them from below. Reputable review sites have measured >100°C at the back of the PCB between VRM and GPU where those chips are. The one in the hottest location is also the one chip that's left empty on the 1080ti.
Many of the newer third party cards now have a big copper shim around the GPU to better cool the VRAM chips.

Is there a list of cards with that new layout?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Let the April's fools jokes begin.

quote:

THE NEW VOICE OF GAMING IS HERE!

Say hello to R.O.N., the world’s first AI-powered holographic gaming assistant that delivers the unique thrill of personalized PC gaming. Get ready to bring your 20-series rig to life with a powerful new AI buddy. Will gaming ever be the same?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ron-ai-personal-assistant/?ncid=em-ded-p9-79900&deliveryName=DM36181

eames
May 9, 2009

File this one under "you're not wrong, ..."

quote:

“What makes us special is we can create the most energy-efficient GPU in the world at anytime,” Huang tells Synced over at GTC, “and we should use the most affordable technology. Look at Turing. The energy efficiency is so good even compared to somebody else’s 7nm.”

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/turing-energy-efficiency-7nm

get ready for another two years of 12nm Turing :toot:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
"We can release better GPUs any time we want, but the lack of competition means we won't" seems to be an ethos at the green company.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
That 5 year warranty of my Zotac 1070 looks better and better every passing year

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Palladium posted:

That 5 year warranty of my Zotac 1070 looks better and better every passing year

Uh have you ever dealt with Zotac's warranty services?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Time to take a huge sip of water as I read Zotac's response.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Arivia posted:

Yes, I know their US support sucks but I'm not in the US so...

EDIT2: Fixed dumb grammar
EDIT1: I'm 100% sure my local dealer will replace my kaput 1070 within warranty on the spot with another 1070 or a later gen equivalent.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 1, 2019

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Palladium posted:

Yes I know their US support sucks but I'm in the US so

Is.. is that :thejoke: or...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ufarn posted:

"We can release better GPUs any time we want, but the lack of competition means we won't" seems to be an ethos at the green company.
they want to make as much money as possible like every other megacorp, there is no other motivation

not a knock on them or a defense of them. just what it is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

they want to make as much money as possible like every other megacorp, there is no other motivation

not a knock on them or a defense of them. just what it is.
i'd prob respect the hustle more of they didn't go and blow it on cryto-mining tbh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I hate April fools

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I hate April fools

For real.

Mainly because half of the fake products are actually cool and good if a bit over the top.

Anyone see that ROG 360 ASUS monitor? Swivel chair not included.

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROG/status/1112595447766503425

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Arivia posted:

I know this is just anecdotal, but I RMA'd a Zotac 1080 for coil whine last fall and while it did take 4-5 days to get my replacement. It was pain free and they sent me a 1080 Ti in exchange.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Charles Mansion posted:

I know this is just anecdotal, but I RMA'd a Zotac 1080 for coil whine last fall and while it did take 4-5 days to get my replacement. It was pain free and they sent me a 1080 Ti in exchange.

I would wait 4-5 days anytime a company wanted if the exchange was a part that cost $200+ more.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Before I checked the article's content and date I was hoping intel would step into the high perf vid card market. Competition is good. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mindblast posted:

Before I checked the article's content and date I was hoping intel would step into the high perf vid card market. Competition is good. :saddowns:

That's always been the plan afaik, but not until 2020 and certainly not with 8tb/sec of bandwidth.

Frankly I think the best thing for PC gaming as a whole would be for architectures like Hades Canyon become far more affordable and commonplace. $1000+ cards are an absolutely tiny slice of the market.