Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
TWI Patreon: To steal a phrase, while this may not be the beginning of the end, it definitely feels like the end of the beginning. For all I talk smack on her ability to write action scenes, pirateaba is really loving excellent at writing denouement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Yeah, that's one I was never clear on- was the intent to highlight that Erin was upset and not thinking clearly, or to point out strange alternate universe quirks? Because I cannot possibly think of a context in which "You're really hot, just like Nicholas Cage" works as a sentence.

I thought it was meant to highlight that Erin was really having to reach for actors that she could compare Rain's appearance to.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I thought it was meant to highlight that Erin was really having to reach for actors that she could compare Rain's appearance to.

That's probably the most reasonable explanation, but I still prefer the concept of alternate-universe nicholas cage being stud-liest nicholas cage.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
nic cage is a stud in this universe. I've seen every single movie he's in and he spent like 20 years at least having a fuckin hot bod

edit: also lol at the most recent ward chapter

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I don't know how much of this is just me making up a more interesting explanation that what the author actually had in mind, but I read the "normalness" of the world in early Worm as one of those quasi-unreliable-narrator things.

At the beginning of the story, we're presented with a world that strongly resembles our world plus people with super powers, and we're told that while they shook some things up at first, things got back to normal and are in some sort of equilibrium where the world will continue to continue to be our world plus super powers. The story then goes on to show that this really is not the case at all. Even setting aside the whole end-of-the-world plot, the Endbringers will inevitably destroy global society and it simply hasn't happened yet. Taylor doesn't really twig onto this because it's just part of her "normal", much like how people IRL will profess that they believe that climate change will have catastrophic impacts within their lifetime and then proceed to live their lives just hoping that it actually doesn't. The story then gives us an explanation for why the world has been temporarily stabler than it should have been: there's literally a secret conspiracy to preserve normalicy as long as possible, and they see their failure as inevitable.

Basically this all ends up arguing that you can inject fantastic elements into the real world, do your best to justify having it continue to resemble the real world, but it's at best a temporarily resemblance and you can't actually have a stable equilibrium.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

WARD: HOLY gently caress that fake ending had me extremely loving mad and then it turns out that Vista took a page out of Foil's book with the fake death and I'm loving screaming thanks Wildbow

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Yea I like worm because it was the first fiction I read that really made me reflect on "the impossibility of urban fantasy" as another goon put it upthread. There's the cliche comparison that gets dragged up in like 90% of superhero fiction that "if you throw darts at the human population and give the equivalent of nuclear bombs to the recipients... eventually things break down" is, while cliche, very true. Because if you really stop and think about it for more than like a second it's obvious that you can't just take our modern reality and introduce fantastical elements and expect nothing to be different. Like I don't know what it would actually look like if tomorrow we woke up and random people could shoot fire out of their eyes or whatever but I can tell it definitely wouldn't look "exactly the same but there are weirdos in spandex beating up muggers in alleyways".

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
If you're reading ward.... Scroll down.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

A big flaming stink posted:

TWI Patreon: To steal a phrase, while this may not be the beginning of the end, it definitely feels like the end of the beginning. For all I talk smack on her ability to write action scenes, pirateaba is really loving excellent at writing denouement.

This applies to the nonpatron update too. It's just a big wham right in the heart :smith: Hope some funner times are ahead, like with Fierre or something.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I'm just about finished with Worm and theres a lot of tangents that probably shouldn't be there. But I think it comes across as obvious that Wildbow is middle class, and believes in the system. That's why Worm is so focused on individuals. Another giant red flag is how he goes into Grue and Imp's broken home for a second. It's not very nuanced, stereotypical even. Maybe its just me talking but I remember when I went hungry way more often than I remembered my dad not being very warm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just found The Wandering Inn. I started on the RoyalRoad version and when I switched computers I also switched to the wordpress version the version on RoyalRoad isn't just a straight copy of the wordpress version. So far I'm liking the wordpress version better because it does a better job of explaining things and setting the stage. Anyone know which version the author likes better or considers canonical?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Replied in the other thread, but I didn't realize the RR version was edited too. I'd recommend the original version since the author uses a few web-based gimmicks (very sparingly, don't worry) to be cute. Some are neat easter eggs and one gave me a bit of a fright (and no, it's not a jump scare).

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What web serials do you all read? For me it's

Regularly:
Practical Guide to Evil
Mother of Learning
The Wandering Inn
Into the Mire
Inheritors

Irregularly:
Not All Heroes
The Daily Grind
Worth the Candle
The Iron Teeth

Finished:
Worm
Twig
Ra
The Last Angel
Void Domain

Abandoned:
The Gods are Bastards
Ward
Pact
Unsong
Vacant Throne

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Into the Mire and Inheritors are my two main ones. ItM seems to not send me every email update, so, I tend to binge it every so often. Inheritors I read as it comes into my email inbox. I check out Touch and New Humans every so often, but their lack of a regular update schedule makes it difficult to remember them. There are some newer ones that I'm about to check out, like Pyrebound and ATL. Can't get into PracGuide, I follow Ward whenever the drama kicks up, and I'm going to give Worth the Candle a look on Omi No Kami's advice.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Oh come on, where’s Everybody Loves Large Chests? Or any of the many misogynistic fics by Mooderino?

Really that’s a pretty exhaustive list. I gave up on Heretical Edge after like 10 arcs. It’s got some good creepy stuff but just not that interesting overall. Gods are Bastards got waaaay too bogged down and I’m done with Wildbow. Really I think lots of people are, judging from how Practical Guide and Wandering Inn are doing in voting.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What's Inheritors about?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

What's Inheritors about?

It's a superhero serial that kicked off around the time Not All Heroes did. It's about a guy called Gabe, who is a clone of the world's most powerful superhero, trying to do what he can in a fairly grim world while figuring out who he is in regards to his genetic legacy and so on. It starts with him breaking up some people trafficking rings in Houston and grows outward from there. When it first launched, the initial twenty chapters or so were rough but Megajoule has since edited them up and the serial is much better for it. It suffers a bit early for not feeling like it has its own identity, but quickly finds its feet at the end of the first arc. It starts pretty grim and gritty but is generally an optimistic story.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm looking forward to the Ward interlude where March travels to Earth Aleph and stabs Taylor in the head with her rapier.

seriously lol at the recent chapter, March is offing major named characters left and right. At least Narwhal also noticed the "this person's powers are bullshit" aspect when she compared her with Jack Slash

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm looking forward to the Ward interlude where March travels to Earth Aleph and stabs Taylor in the head with her rapier.

seriously lol at the recent chapter, March is offing major named characters left and right. At least Narwhal also noticed the "this person's powers are bullshit" aspect when she compared her with Jack Slash

Scroll down.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

:allears:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Worth the Candle updated.

Pretty sweet boss fight, and Bethel was great. Really hope Mary isn't dead.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cicero posted:

Worth the Candle updated.

Pretty sweet boss fight, and Bethel was great. Really hope Mary isn't dead.

She had princes invulnerability and immobility plate. So if she managed to use the plate to stop herself within 6 seconds then she’s fine. More worried about Pallida.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Velius posted:

Oh come on, where’s Everybody Loves Large Chests? Or any of the many misogynistic fics by Mooderino?

Really that’s a pretty exhaustive list. I gave up on Heretical Edge after like 10 arcs. It’s got some good creepy stuff but just not that interesting overall. Gods are Bastards got waaaay too bogged down and I’m done with Wildbow. Really I think lots of people are, judging from how Practical Guide and Wandering Inn are doing in voting.

i dont understand why morning wood poo poo has to have a somewhat entertaining story combined with incredibly bizarre and pointless fetish stuff. the main character isn't even capable of loving

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

and I'm going to give Worth the Candle a look on Omi No Kami's advice.

I think WtC gets pretty self-indulgent in a few ways that might not appeal to you, primarily angst and "aha, look at how I subvert this trope".

BTW, I'm really enjoying where Not All Heroes is at currently and where I think it might be going in this arc.

One note, I'm not a fan of the expository/foreshadowing interludes, I'd rather skip them but I feel like I might miss critical information for understanding what's going on in the main story. I think you have to be extra careful with interludes because of the relative leanness of the rest of your story compared to other web serials that established them as a norm and how jarring that makes them in comparison. You probably have them planned out already, but I think it might be more interesting if they were used primarily to provide a different perspective on what's already happened (without having big implications going forwards) and supplemental information once we've already been shown that part of your world from the character's perspective (i.e. The Neo-American rundown at the end of Act 2). That way it's more optional. The side story/backstory ones are fine.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 2, 2019

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
WtC is really weird in that it should be poo poo but it’s good.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Affi posted:

WtC is really weird in that it should be poo poo but it’s good.

Yeah, like, it's weird. When I recommended it to Milkfred I think my exact words were something like "This has so many interesting ideas that I wish it didn't fumble the execution, but it kinda did". Like, it has just about everything I dislike in web serials: I'm not a litRPG guy so the mechanical game layer's kinda eh, the core concept of the story basically requires the world to revolve around the protagonist, and I think there's too much emphasis on the protagonist's pre-story life, plus there's tons of creepy sex poo poo. (Holy poo poo that bottle deer immaculate conception pregnancy timewarp arc went on for so long.) Yet, it's really fun. Like, even though I like it I can't say that it's approaching even something like pracguide/twig in terms of consistency, and it comes with a giant bag of disclaimers, I still have tons of fun reading it every update.

One thing I actually find kind of interesting about WtC- (spoiler for very late plot point) I find it kind of odd how heavily the team focuses on narrative- if they were working in the dark it would be one thing, but not only did June tell his friends that back on earth he would explicitly punish parties for trying to get cute and metagame instead of engaging with the narrative, but the DM very explicitly jossed a lot of June and Mary's concerns in that regard. But they still end up doing an awful lot of "What would Joseph Campbell do," instead of going "What would make for the best story? If it's not suicidally dumb, that's probably the right idea."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
There's definitely some weird (and hosed up) sex poo poo, but for the most part it's not, like, lurid. To me it feels like just an outgrowth of the story's general style of being bizarre and moderately horror-y. It doesn't pull punches. There are weirdass alien races, so naturally there's some sex stuff there that's really weird and messed up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah, and the alien races weird sex stuff is actually fun- I could read about cloaca dwarves and self-replicating twins all day. Even with the stuff I dislike there's definitely room to argue for its inclusion, since it's mainly there because Juniper is kind of a weirdo, but I dunno- it feels like they could strip out almost all the male gaze/nudity/fanservice stuff and lose practically nothing.

I'm still a little disappointed that there wasn't something dire and alien about elf naughty bits, though- Fenn made such a big deal of that that I was almost hoping after they started dating, Juniper would just casually go "...so why didn't you tell me about the teeth and the mucus?" or something. It wouldn't have really helped the story, but it would've been super-funny.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I think WtC gets pretty self-indulgent in a few ways that might not appeal to you, primarily angst and "aha, look at how I subvert this trope".

BTW, I'm really enjoying where Not All Heroes is at currently and where I think it might be going in this arc.

One note, I'm not a fan of the expository/foreshadowing interludes, I'd rather skip them but I feel like I might miss critical information for understanding what's going on in the main story. I think you have to be extra careful with interludes because of the relative leanness of the rest of your story compared to other web serials that established them as a norm and how jarring that makes them in comparison. You probably have them planned out already, but I think it might be more interesting if they were used primarily to provide a different perspective on what's already happened (without having big implications going forwards) and supplemental information once we've already been shown that part of your world from the character's perspective (i.e. The Neo-American rundown at the end of Act 2). That way it's more optional. The side story/backstory ones are fine.

I agree. Which ones would you say fall into that expository/foreshadowing category? I like hearing the stuff people find they don't enjoy as much.

I'm not a big fan of Act 1's structure with the interludes, and it was more a consequence of finding my feet. It's partially why I dropped them in Act 2 where there'll be like 3-4 in total and following a strict theme. The idea that you mention about them providing a different perspective on events that've already passed is interesting because that was something I thought about doing initially, then didn't for whatever reason. As they stand in Act 1, they're a bit of a mix of ideas I had that couldn't work into the main story, a consequence of the strict three-viewpoint nature, some experiments with worldbuilding and such, 'Wouldn't it be cool if?', a desire to avoid expositional conversations etc. but a few -- like the Ironforge chapters -- were very intentional with their placement in the text. It'll be a nuisance come editing time.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I agree. Which ones would you say fall into that expository/foreshadowing category? I like hearing the stuff people find they don't enjoy as much.

I'm not a big fan of Act 1's structure with the interludes, and it was more a consequence of finding my feet. It's partially why I dropped them in Act 2 where there'll be like 3-4 in total and following a strict theme. The idea that you mention about them providing a different perspective on events that've already passed is interesting because that was something I thought about doing initially, then didn't for whatever reason. As they stand in Act 1, they're a bit of a mix of ideas I had that couldn't work into the main story, a consequence of the strict three-viewpoint nature, some experiments with worldbuilding and such, 'Wouldn't it be cool if?', a desire to avoid expositional conversations etc. but a few -- like the Ironforge chapters -- were very intentional with their placement in the text. It'll be a nuisance come editing time.

This is a bit of a random idea that probably isn't helpful, but I know one of the big complaints I had in Act 1 was that Leopard's POV chapters didn't feel relevant, since his role in the story and the narrative beats that established a need for us to know about him weren't established until we'd already had to read through a lot of his stuff.

Maybe if you're ever in a mood to tinker with the early presentation, it would be useful to present the necessary parts of his character building as interludes? So we'd get a few iterations of "Big chunk of heroes, small villain interlude," which set us up to be surprised by later developments.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a bit of a random idea that probably isn't helpful, but I know one of the big complaints I had in Act 1 was that Leopard's POV chapters didn't feel relevant, since his role in the story and the narrative beats that established a need for us to know about him weren't established until we'd already had to read through a lot of his stuff.

Maybe if you're ever in a mood to tinker with the early presentation, it would be useful to present the necessary parts of his character building as interludes? So we'd get a few iterations of "Big chunk of heroes, small villain interlude," which set us up to be surprised by later developments.

I think you're right, really, and when I get around to editing Act 1, I'll probably see about cutting Leopard down to, like, a side story (sort of like how Act 2's interludes are all about, minor spoiler, Crusader and the Empire.) Chapter 1 becomes the prologue, then we maybe return to him a few times, before bringing him in as a viewpoint. It's interesting because when I voiced this to a few other serial writers, they thought this was a bad idea because they consider Leopard the best one to enter the world with as he positions himself as such an outsider to it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Regularly:
Mother of Learning
The Wandering Inn
Vacant Throne
Ascendance of a Bookworm

Irregularly:
Harry Potter and the Natural 20 (FIGHT ME)
The Last Science

Finished:
Worm
Unsong

Abandoned:
Pact
The Daily Grind
Worth the Candle
The Iron Teeth

Read a few chapters but not yet enough to give the series a fair shake:
Practical Guide to Evil
The Gods are Bastards
Into the Mire

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think you're right, really, and when I get around to editing Act 1, I'll probably see about cutting Leopard down to, like, a side story (sort of like how Act 2's interludes are all about, minor spoiler, Crusader and the Empire.) Chapter 1 becomes the prologue, then we maybe return to him a few times, before bringing him in as a viewpoint. It's interesting because when I voiced this to a few other serial writers, they thought this was a bad idea because they consider Leopard the best one to enter the world with as he positions himself as such an outsider to it.

Hmm yeah, that's a really interesting point about the outsider angle that I hadn't considered. I think one of the big challenges for Act 1 is rooted in structure more than content- everyone's stuff is interesting, I never found myself saying "I don't want to read this"... but I did find myself saying "I don't want to read this right now," because in many cases it wasn't obvious how each section connected, and leopard's stuff had the tendency to pop up right in the middle of something neat happening somewhere else.

But yeah- like, when I started NAH I didn't know there were three characters, his first chapter prepared me for an entire serial of "dirtbag mercenary does human crime in super world," and I was down for that story. if you presented all of his stuff in a single work it'd do just fine, the challenge is that it appeared alongside two stories that were much more obviously interlinked, and as a first-time reader I had trouble figuring out why we were spending so much time with him until we got towards the end of act 1.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I only read Ward and Practical Guide, myself. For finished ones, Worm and Earthcast.

Speaking of, I'd recommend Earthcast to anyone interested in slavic/semitic folklore. It doesn't exactly seem well-known basically anywhere I've been, but I enjoyed it. It's been a couple years but I remember the setting, cast and plot were quite refreshing.

Tried and dropped quite a few. Enjoyed Void Domain for a while but got kinda bored with it like 3/4ths through, also the demons creeping on the main characters was off-putting to me, especially the demon king dude and MC's friend. Tried Heretical Edge too but it kept feeling a bit juvenile both in plot and characters for me. I guess I don't actually enjoy reading about teens actually acting like teens! Probably tried/dropped a bunch of poo poo 3+ years ago I've completely forgotten about too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Argue posted:

Regularly:
Mother of Learning
The Wandering Inn
Vacant Throne
Ascendance of a Bookworm

Irregularly:
The Last Science

Finished:
Worm
Unsong

Abandoned:
Pact
The Daily Grind
Worth the Candle
The Iron Teeth

Read a few chapters but not yet enough to give the series a fair shake:
Practical Guide to Evil
The Gods are Bastards
Into the Mire

Why’d you abandon iron teeth and daily grind do you don’t mind me asking.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Regular
Ward
Mother of Learning
The Gods are Bastards

Temporarily stopped to binge again later
The Wandering Inn
Practical Guide to Evil

Finished
Worm
Unsong

Dropped
Ra
a bunch of things that I read like two chapters of before they hard pivoted into creepy sex poo poo

I feel like there are more that I'm forgetting about but I can't come up with anything.

Argue posted:

:hfive:

I feel like there should be a non-poo poo fanfiction thread, but it would be practically guaranteed to devolve into a shitshow.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Affi posted:

Why’d you abandon iron teeth and daily grind do you don’t mind me asking.

Daily Grind because it got as tiring as actually grinding in an RPG; I was hoping for a lot more experimenting and finding ways to abuse the extremely niche skills they were earning to do something cool in the real world, but I guess it wasn't that kind of serial.

With Iron Teeth clearly other people have a higher tolerance for this (based on the author's Patreon) but I was kind of put off by his very slave way of thinking when he was still a goblin; I pitied him but it was in a way that was really not pleasant or fun for me to read. When he evolved and started getting violent urges I was put off in a totally different way. Both made me uneasy and I realize the character arc is probably about Blacknail becoming something better than either of those but I also realized I was spending more time being uncomfortable than I was willing to spend waiting for the catharsis of him changing.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 2, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that dropped Ra, since so many people were raving about it and I bounced right off of it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that dropped Ra, since so many people were raving about it and I bounced right off of it.

I really liked the premise and the first few chapters but it turned really dumb really fast and I just could not bring myself to give a gently caress about the grand magic conspiracy bullshit, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dikkfor posted:

Scroll down.

This just raises more questions. Is Vista alive then? And how would March have not noticed?