Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
a friend of mine on Tumblr who is really good at doing Kaiju and other monster art recently started up a series of drawings with the intention of eventually drawing more or less every Toho monster(and stuff from licensed Godzilla stuff too)*, so far he's done about 50 of them(with the most recent batch being dropped only a couple hours ago) and according to him he's nowhere even remotely close to being finished;

https://tyrantisterrorart.tumblr.com/tagged/TT-Draws-the-Godzilla-Gang

*there is one little "cheat" with what he's doing, for certain characters with multiple versions he's only doing one version and/or folding elements from multiple versions together(for example he's only doing one of the various "Son of Godzilla" monsters with his being based primarily on the Heisei "Jr" as he's not the biggest fan of either Minya or Godzooky from my recollection)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

My will has been long gone, I just couldn't find the video.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Incredibly glad that they're not being the least bit subtle about Ghidorah being the devil. Gonna love this movie

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Shneak posted:

Also I would literally buy a ticket just to see this and walk out before Shazam.

This is the perfect use case for my AMC a-list and I'll def be doing it tomorrow

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I want them tickets to go on sale so I can let my job know not to put me on a closing shift.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I wanted to hold my son out from school to see the earliest showing but Mrs. Pants nixed that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shazam looks really good so stay for a fun movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I was looking for more footage of the movie and saw a scene from one of the older movies where the 4 Kaiju are all fighting. And it is completely bonkers. Ghodora is zapping Godzilla in the rear end with lightning, larval Mothra chomped down on one of Ghidoras tails and got whipped around, then climbed on Rodans back and was shooting silk/jizz/whatever from midair.

Anyway I hope some of the battle gets faithfully repeated as a homage because it would be hilarious to see some little ankle biter chomping on this huge 3 headed dragons tail while it's busy trying to fight Godzilla.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I shouldn't have watched that...but I'm so glad I did.

They really have kept the G'14 approach of scale. And King G is unapologetically sinister. I love it. The MUTOs actually had a kind of warmth to them due to their need to reproduce but not the Dragon. Man.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

I was looking for more footage of the movie and saw a scene from one of the older movies where the 4 Kaiju are all fighting. And it is completely bonkers. Ghodora is zapping Godzilla in the rear end with lightning, larval Mothra chomped down on one of Ghidoras tails and got whipped around, then climbed on Rodans back and was shooting silk/jizz/whatever from midair.

Anyway I hope some of the battle gets faithfully repeated as a homage because it would be hilarious to see some little ankle biter chomping on this huge 3 headed dragons tail while it's busy trying to fight Godzilla.

You missed the part where Ghidorah zapped Godzilla in the nuts

Not joking

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Burkion posted:

You missed the part where Ghidorah zapped Godzilla in the nuts

Not joking

Well let's hope they preserve that for KoM '19 then :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
One thing I particularly noticed in Skull Island was that in true primate fashion, Kong uses tools. He used a chain attacked to an old propeller as a flail when fighting the Skullcrawler to good effect.

In Godzilla vs Kong that kind of ingenuity could give Kong an edge since Godzilla tends to just use brute strength and his atomic breath. Using tools also helps to reinforce how huge and strong they both are, if Kong is trying to knock over Godzilla by drop kicking a building on him and whatnot.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

God my large hydra friend looks so goddamn evil I love him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Panfilo posted:

One thing I particularly noticed in Skull Island was that in true primate fashion, Kong uses tools. He used a chain attacked to an old propeller as a flail when fighting the Skullcrawler to good effect.

In Godzilla vs Kong that kind of ingenuity could give Kong an edge since Godzilla tends to just use brute strength and his atomic breath. Using tools also helps to reinforce how huge and strong they both are, if Kong is trying to knock over Godzilla by drop kicking a building on him and whatnot.

Kong should be in KotM, disguised as one of the scientists, who throws off his disguise to help Godzilla in his moment of need.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Davros1 posted:

Kong should be in KotM, disguised as one of the scientists, who throws off his disguise to help Godzilla in his moment of need.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
If anything, he'll be waiting for a chance to sucker punch Godzilla as payback for doing jack poo poo while skull Island got overrun with Skullcrawlers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm the kaiju throwing piledrivers.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

FooF posted:

I shouldn't have watched that...but I'm so glad I did.

They really have kept the G'14 approach of scale. And King G is unapologetically sinister. I love it. The MUTOs actually had a kind of warmth to them due to their need to reproduce but not the Dragon. Man.

There is that one part where the mutos meet up and do that kinda bird beak rub/touch... Thing.

If I remember right the female is visibly upset when Godzilla swats the male.

They did *such* a good job in g14 with the Kaiju as characters.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

If I'm remembering correctly, Femuto was crying because her babies got blown up.

I'm hoping there's a scene towards the end of KotM where shellshocked survivors gather under the calming light and presence of Mothra.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I'm legit excited for any scenes of, like, Millie Bobby Brown or Serizawa awe-bonding with the kaiju.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tekne posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, Femuto was crying because her babies got blown up.

Yeah, and then she spots one of the tiny fuckers who've been running around, realizes they did this and gets mad as hell.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Panfilo posted:

thats one of my favorite scenes in any movie ever. its like a drunken fight. caterpie getting tossed is hilarious

im out of here till the release. stay true brothers.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Quick question about the Imax trailer. Right at the beginning, is that the Jefferson memorial on the right side of the screen with the warships on the left? Because if it is, that's not a good sign for D.C.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Quick question about the Imax trailer. Right at the beginning, is that the Jefferson memorial on the right side of the screen with the warships on the left? Because if it is, that's not a good sign for D.C.

"There will never be a weirder time in DC."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the geography off? DC is almost never depicted correctly in film.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the geography off? DC is almost never depicted correctly in film.

i dont think any of the political buildings in dc are on the bay but its been years since i last went so i may be remembering wrong

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The Potomac is a major river, but I don't think you can normally get an Arleigh Burke class DDG up to Capitol Hill.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

As for the state of DC, it's entirely due to the influence of Ghidorah, who is described as a living extinction event and generates storms of supernatural strength just by flying. Rodan is also in those scenes, and he can flatten towns by flying over. The pack line in the IMAX trailer suggests that KG is compelling kaiju worldwide to sow chaos. I'm almost expecting Godzilla vs Kong to be a post apocalyptic film now.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Is the 2014 Godzilla movie underrated? I personally found it incredible, and the parachute scene is mindblowing and probably the best scene I've seen in a budget action movie. Did people not like that the monsters were so large that humans were inconsequential?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Is the 2014 Godzilla movie underrated? I personally found it incredible, and the parachute scene is mindblowing and probably the best scene I've seen in a budget action movie. Did people not like that the monsters were so large that humans were inconsequential?

The general complaints are more tha the humans take up too much time and there isn't enough Godzilla and the main character is boring and blah blah blah usual Godzilla movie complaints

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

G14 is bloody amazing but yeah, as Burkion pointed out a lot of people were upset over Cranston dying, they didn't like Taylor-Johnson, not enough action with Godzilla.

I personally loved every bit of it - I loved the teases and then at the end finally getting the big giant fight. Godzilla movies with too much fighting bring things down big time for me - I personally do not like most of Final Wars. It's just too much poo poo. Like having unlimited amounts of whatever you love. poo poo gets dull.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I enjoyed Godzilla 2014, but the complaints general audiences have is that it teased way too much and the human arc wasn't compelling. I thought the latter was serviceable.

The suspense the film built with the kaiju was great, but I would have loved to have seen the two fights between Goji and the flying Muto that they cut away from. If the audience had got to see them trash Oahu and downtown San Francisco in daylight, I think the too little monsters criticism would not exist. People just wanted to see these beautifully rendered monsters smashing buildings and each other. Including those scraps, which prior scenes were building up to, would not have pushed G14 into the meaningless monster mash that many creature films fall into. It's also a shame the final battle was at night when Godzilla looked incredible walking to the bay in direct sunlight.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I just remember being so stunned when they killed off Binoche and cranston so early. I didn’t even hate the kid but what the hell.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
There's this fine line that commercial filmmakers tread where you know if you have an insanely popular actor and you kill them off early it's going to not just be a solid performance but also is going to make a lot of folks just viscerally sad and give them a really powerful experience - but then sometimes you get an actor that's so beloved and you kill them and people just get pissed the gently caress off.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The home release was also way too dark and this has never been fixed.

If any movie is underrated, it's Skull Island. No one hardly talks about it but its easily the best Kong film since the original.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The teasing and cutting away in 14 deeply frustrated me, especially with the "tut tut children, JAWS never showed the shark*!" justifications from the director. I feel like it could have worked if handled differently but it felt like an active disdain for the audience who wanted to see the monsters more. There were so many incredible shots and scenes with the kaiju that I would have absolutely believed they could get another few more in without diminishing them.

*I haven't seen Jaws in a while but my recall is that when they finally showed Jaws, they didn't shy away from it for the rest of the movie when it was called for.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mantis42 posted:

The home release was also way too dark and this has never been fixed.

If any movie is underrated, it's Skull Island. No one hardly talks about it but its easily the best Kong film since the original.

Which is amazing considering it has Samuel L Jackson doing an outstanding Captain Ahab impression.

gently caress, I have about an hour to kill. I'm putting it on.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like most of G14 but it has issues particularly with the human characters. As a Godzilla movie that's not out of the ordinary but it does hurt a Hollywood style blockbuster. I also think a lot of it comes down to Gareth Edwards as director. He's great at doing large scale action and conveying awe, but the man isn't a very good director when it comes to actual people. Krennic is a good character in Rogue One despite Edwards' weak actor direction.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shiroc posted:

"tut tut children, JAWS never showed the shark*!"

All else aside, there's also pretty much a canyon of difference between the writing of Jaws and G'14. Playing hide the monster is fine, but you've gotta make sure the rest of your movie keeps the audience interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

With the Godzilla '14 Blu-ray, bring the gamma levels up until it looks good.