Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tree Dude posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701

this passed over my newsfeed. nothing new here but I do appreciate Pat calling himself an idiot for his comments about how he had the whole trilogy written even before the first book came out.

This seems like an insane bluff to make, or he's basically just flat out lying and substituting an outline for a draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

“I never talk about deadlines anymore. I say, ‘When it’s ready I will bring it to you,’ and until then, trust that I am working,”

Lol good thing I don't have to trust him

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It also doesn't address how if the whole draft was awful what made the first part worth reading?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Atlas Hugged posted:

It also doesn't address how if the whole draft was awful what made the first part worth reading?

Well, it sounds like he wrote the draft then re-wrote the first part and that's what got published as NotW.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
If it took you 10 years to get a book published, why would toy think one a year is even possible

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I don't think that's necessarily crazy. Finishing a novel with school and/or a day job is really daunting and takes a long rear end time. Doing it within a year if your day job is writing shouldn't be that hard at all, even for these loving doorstoppers, presuming you're working on it regularly. Guess what Pat ain't doing though

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Rothfuss said his first draft was missing a third of the characters eventually introduced in The Name of the Wind, describing the original version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad.”

That is a quote from the Newsweek article. I remember reading the book and having this feeling that new characters were just walking up out of nowhere. Guess it wasn’t my imagination.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

This seems like an insane bluff to make, or he's basically just flat out lying and substituting an outline for a draft.

This is literally what happened. He showed what he had submitted to his publishers at one point and the entire book three part was... not even an outline. It had a listing for every chapter but most of the entries were blank or had stuff like "Ambrose does something here", literally.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

well, it ain't like he was smartly using the characters he already wrote, so maybe he reckoned that quantity was close enough to quality, in the dictionary and in his books :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tree Dude posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-release-date-patrick-rothfuss-doors-stone-1384701

this passed over my newsfeed. nothing new here but I do appreciate Pat calling himself an idiot for his comments about how he had the whole trilogy written even before the first book came out.

Now he just needs to admit he's nothing more than a lucky hack at best.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I don't think that's necessarily crazy. Finishing a novel with school and/or a day job is really daunting and takes a long rear end time. Doing it within a year if your day job is writing shouldn't be that hard at all, even for these loving doorstoppers, presuming you're working on it regularly. Guess what Pat ain't doing though

Guys like Sanderson show the level of output you get if someone who writes for a living actually, you know, writes.

Though Sanderson's output is pretty crazy even in that regard.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Sanderson is more of an assembly line than a writer; I wouldn't hold him up as a standard.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Now he just needs to admit he's nothing more than a lucky hack at best.

Guys like Sanderson show the level of output you get if someone who writes for a living actually, you know, writes.

Though Sanderson's output is pretty crazy even in that regard.

I wouldn't call what Sanderson does writing per se. Still, there's a happy medium between one bad book every 10 years and 10 bad books every year that Rothfuss could aim for.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Taxenema posted:

Rothfuss said his first draft was missing a third of the characters eventually introduced in The Name of the Wind, describing the original version as “a book you would not have liked, because it was just discernibly bad.”

That is a quote from the Newsweek article. I remember reading the book and having this feeling that new characters were just walking up out of nowhere. Guess it wasn’t my imagination.

I like how he phrased the first draft as 'discernibly bad,' like what was published wasn't good, just less obviously terrible.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

I wouldn't call what Sanderson does writing per se. Still, there's a happy medium between one bad book every 10 years and 10 bad books every year that Rothfuss could aim for.

Are you saying that you want Rothfuss to write a bad book every year?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Holy gently caress I do. That'll be much more entertaining than no books at all.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Malpais Legate posted:

Holy gently caress I do. That'll be much more entertaining than no books at all.

There are other books you can read regardless of his creative output.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah but I like subjecting myself to bad things. I'm in this thread for a reason.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Flagellation is making a come back, in three parts

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

eXXon posted:

Are you saying that you want Rothfuss to write a bad book every year?

I enjoy making fun of terrible things. There's a line of badness which a work can cross where it goes from being merely bad to being a kind of catastrophe. One of my favorite memories is going to see National Treasure. That movie is like an airplane crashing into a train that is running into another train. It's amazingly bad.

I think Rothfuss has a certain kind of, I don't know what, inverted genius perhaps, in that he seems to have the same ability to make something enjoyably bad.

Though if he was actually to write another book we wouldn't be able to make so much fun of him for not writing a book.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sanderson is ok, but also too long and immediately forgettable, anime poo poo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Sanderson is ok, but also too long and immediately forgettable, anime poo poo.

Praising with faint damnation.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I enjoy making fun of terrible things. There's a line of badness which a work can cross where it goes from being merely bad to being a kind of catastrophe. One of my favorite memories is going to see National Treasure. That movie is like an airplane crashing into a train that is running into another train. It's amazingly bad.

I think Rothfuss has a certain kind of, I don't know what, inverted genius perhaps, in that he seems to have the same ability to make something enjoyably bad.

Though if he was actually to write another book we wouldn't be able to make so much fun of him for not writing a book.

I don't know about them being ENJOYABLE, but :yeah:.

And yeah it's kind of a 'no poo poo' that he just kept including new paper in the later versions of the books, because he literally just put a bunch of short stories in to fill in any gaps in his outlines. Like the 'false Edema Ruh' part of the second book is literally the first story he ever wrote about Kvothe put in without any alterations, which is why the narration is suddenly completely different and Kvothe molests some raped girls.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

One good book every 5 years or, as they call it, the Franco-belgian comics release schedule

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
One of the things I think about Rothfuss is that it seems that his books are the result of someone who has not written that much sitting down and forcing themselves to write a novel because he literally had nothing else going for him and also he probably had fewer friends than Kvothe had. He isn’t bad he just needs to write or he is just another poser. I lost a lot of respect for Lin Manuel in a way for not seeing it. I guess he respects the dudes passion and the thing is fantasy is hot right now. Of course a guy writes a story about a bard and it will sell... we should just all write a fantasy campaign together. But what class?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The thing with The Name of the Wind and Rothfuss's writing is that it's so incredibly boring I couldn't be bothered to finish it. All of y'alls who are reading it ironically or whatever must have way more free time than I do and are desperate to fill it with anything.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing with The Name of the Wind and Rothfuss's writing is that it's so incredibly boring I couldn't be bothered to finish it. All of y'alls who are reading it ironically or whatever must have way more free time than I do and are desperate to fill it with anything.

As someone who read both books my mistake was thinking the books were going somewhere and that the writer hadn’t derailed his own career

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I think there are some genuinely good things about the Kingkiller chronicles. The framing device is interesting, and the prose is flowery, which is different from the style of most fantasy. There are some interesting quirks to the world, and the magic system is interesting when it is consistent.

At this point though it has the overblown reputation of Donnie Darko, the second book falls of a cliff, there are some laughably absurd plot points, the writing about music is ludicrous, the writing about women is cringy at best, and the plot points from the second book are quite bad.

It seems clear that the promise offered by the initial framing device will never pay off, either because he'll never write the third book or because it'll require at least four books to finish properly, which would take decades at this rate, and to me, it's just become a kind of running joke - especially because Rothfuss is an entitled pompous douche who loves the fame of being a "writer" who never actually does any writing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like Kvothe is online

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I think there are some genuinely good things about the Kingkiller chronicles. The framing device is interesting, and the prose is flowery, which is different from the style of most fantasy. There are some interesting quirks to the world, and the magic system is interesting when it is consistent.

At this point though it has the overblown reputation of Donnie Darko, the second book falls of a cliff, there are some laughably absurd plot points, the writing about music is ludicrous, the writing about women is cringy at best, and the plot points from the second book are quite bad.

It seems clear that the promise offered by the initial framing device will never pay off, either because he'll never write the third book or because it'll require at least four books to finish properly, which would take decades at this rate, and to me, it's just become a kind of running joke - especially because Rothfuss is an entitled pompous douche who loves the fame of being a "writer" who never actually does any writing.

I honestly think 'smug' would be a better descriptor of the writing than 'flowery'. The problem with the good stuff of Kingkiller is that it's largely buried under the tedium and Oh-Did-You-Seeness about what could possibly be seen as 'clever'. And that there isn't much to begin with.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
shoving rothfuss up my loving g-ddamn rear end

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'
ve had it with his poo poo

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
he will become a corpse for his wretchedness

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gitro
May 29, 2013
a literal rothfart

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

nankeen posted:

he will become a corpse for his wretchedness

avshalom dont do it

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

queef anxiety posted:

avshalom dont do it

User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
thank you hieronymous

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SO has anyone read Patrick Rothfuss's "Rick and Morty play Dungeons and Dragons" and is it as excruciatingly awful as that combination of words makes it sound?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

SO has anyone read Patrick Rothfuss's "Rick and Morty play Dungeons and Dragons" and is it as excruciatingly awful as that combination of words makes it sound?

My wife is a Rick and Morty fan, plays Dungeons and Dragons and has never read Rothfuss. I showed her the sample pages of D&Dw/R&M and she told me that it seemed :/ and the dialogue was way off-character

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Did this get posted yet? Gosh, his stellar writing really comes through!

Pacho posted:

My wife is a Rick and Morty fan, plays Dungeons and Dragons and has never read Rothfuss. I showed her the sample pages of D&Dw/R&M and she told me that it seemed :/ and the dialogue was way off-character

It was hard to find a non fan-wank review that matches what your wife said but here's one.

"The other primary issue I’ve yet to mention is that this book has way too much dialogue for how little humor there actually is. Comedy is very subjective, but very few of the jokes land. Most are D&D jokes, which is to be expected. Few of them actually worked for me though. The rest are Rick and Morty in-jokes, and those have been played out across the internet far too often for me to laugh at them now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://www.tor.com/2019/04/15/five-years-on-theres-still-nothing-like-the-slow-regard-of-silent-things/

"Five Years On, There’s Still Nothing Like Patrick Rothfuss’ The Slow Regard of Silent Things"

That's...true.