Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gohmak posted:

Depends on the allegory. Just because the Walking Dead has a diverse class doesn't make it less xenophobic.

is... is the walking dead an allegory for native american oppression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
This film was ok. As a stand alone I liked it more than Dr Strange or GotG 1 &2, but less than Ant Man and Black Panther. It feels like there was a good film 5 or 10 drafts ago but it seems to have been buried under "we have a woman character, that's almost too much. Neuter everything!"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow.

So I saw the film tonight. It was the most generic comic book movie I've ever seen. It wasn't SHITE, but it was supremely straightforward and uninteresting.

Being a nerd for this sort of thing, I checked it out on IMDB and a few movie review sites as well as here.

Here in Australia...I mean, I had NO IDEA there was controversy over this movie. The Ghostbusters controversy was inescapable, Black Panther hype was suffocating, but I had no idea people made a fuss about this film. Then I see Brie Larson's comments and the crowdfunding thing and...

What in the gently caress people? All this shite over the world's most generic comic book action movie?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think a lot was probably Disney amplifying it for marketing reasons.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

I think a lot was probably Disney amplifying it for marketing reasons.

I think that's it.

If there was genuine, credible, feminist outrage I'm pretty sure we would've got bombarded with it here in Australia.

Since there wasn't? Meh. Marketing hype. Get people all excited to go see the world's most generic action hero movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

H13 posted:

I think that's it.

If there was genuine, credible, feminist outrage I'm pretty sure we would've got bombarded with it here in Australia.

Since there wasn't? Meh. Marketing hype. Get people all excited to go see the world's most generic action hero movie.

There was never any feminist outrage.

The outrage was internet nerds wailing about how dare a woman headline a superhero movie.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

There was never any feminist outrage.

The outrage was internet nerds wailing about how dare a woman headline a superhero movie.

But...that didn't really happen for Wonder Woman? So why for this one?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
because the modern anti-feminist movement in fundamentally irrational and thinking its a false flag because a bunch of idiots are loud and inconsistent is not exactly going through the looking glass

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

H13 posted:

People expected this one to make a lot of money. I don't remember what expectations were for Wonder Woman before it came out, and right or wrong people seem to like Marvel movies more than DC movies and I guess "woman plus success" drives some people up the wall. They did the same thing over Furiosa in the new Mad Max movie.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

H13 posted:

Brie Larson made comments about a completely unrelated movie, A Wrinkle in Time, which angered a lot of people who directed their hate at Brie/CM/disney

Here, go nuts
https://www.google.com/search?q=brie+larson+comments

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 7, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Away all Goats posted:

Brie Larson made comments about a completely unrelated movie, A Wrinkle in Time, which angered a lot of people who directed their hate at Brie/CM/disney

Here, go nuts

For those curious, it's specifically that Brie Larson said she was more interested in what women, black people, and kids had to say about that movie than she did in what 40 year old white men did, because Wrinkle in Time was aimed at the former groups, and not 40 year old white men.

This, naturally, pissed a certain strain of white men the gently caress off.

The lesbian subtext to this movie probably just made that worse (and I'm personally wondering if there's a connection to the controversy around Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 with the LGBT community).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The lesbian subtext to this movie probably just made that worse (and I'm personally wondering if there's a connection to the controversy around Frozen 1 and Frozen 2 with the LGBT community).

Aside from a very Marvelesque trailer, do we know anything about Frozen 2?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Aside from a very Marvelesque trailer, do we know anything about Frozen 2?

Just that the director has posted on twitter that Elsa might get a girlfriend, and that he's interested in the possibility of Hans redeeming himself for his actions in the first movie.

The prevailing response from the LGBT community I've seen about the first point is a mix of "Oh please oh please oh please," "It's loving Disney, I'll believe it when I drat well see it," and "Oh goody more super deniable queer-baiting where it'll be something like her having great chemistry with a new woman, having meaningful looks, maybe holding her hand for half a second, and nothing more."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Here, go nuts

Brie Larsons comments were pretty loving stupid. Gal Gadot didn't make herself look like a foolish moron in public, so Wonder Woman didn't really get any controversy. Wonder Woman also wasn't blatant military recruitment propaganda.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 7, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I said come in! posted:

Brie Larsons comments were pretty loving stupid.

nah

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think Disney/Marvel wanted that controversy; it just became free advertising for them that went right along with their "female superhero movie" marketing push. The few chuds that were too worked up to see it would be overridden by people who would go see it just to spite that tiny vocal minority. Her comments probably helped more than anything. The movie was as Marvel brand as you can get, so it was critic proof and general audiences would be fine with it (and therefore wouldn't be a Ghostbusters situation), any controversy would just be icing on the top for it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the premise of like 50% of all action adventure films. The hero doesn't believe in themselves, and must overcome this in order to defeat the villain.

Quoted from pages back but I think this misreads the movie completely - like Phylodox said, she believes in herself 100% throughout the entire movie. Like, that was the whole point of the montage of memories during the last fight - they were all points in her life when she had been defeated (not just faced defeat; had actually been defeated) and she stood back up anyways for another round. It's basically the most explicitly feminist message of the movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Her message is good! The delivery/execution could have been better (imo).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Brie Larsons comments were pretty loving stupid. Gal Gadot didn't make herself look like a foolish moron in public, so Wonder Woman didn't really get any controversy. Wonder Woman also wasn't blatant military recruitment propaganda.

Yes, definitely no military propaganda going on in Wonder Woman, where the World War I-era Germans may as well have been Nazis.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yes, definitely no military propaganda going on in Wonder Woman, where the World War I-era Germans may as well have been Nazis.

Sorry, you are correct, I totally remember now that time Wonder Woman tried to convince the audience to join the Nazi party.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Sorry, you are correct, I totally remember now that time Wonder Woman tried to convince the audience to join the Nazi party.

I mean she was cheerleading IDF on twitter and saying that Palestinians were totally asking for (insert the relevant atrocity IDF did that time) so.....

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
gal gadot is not any more pro-israel than the average american, which is a depressing but true statement that has not all that much to do with captain marvel

wonder woman at least had the willingness to say 'war...bad', as tepid as that is, while captain marvel is basically the 'hire more women guards' meme

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

ungulateman posted:

wonder woman at least had the willingness to say 'war...bad', as tepid as that is, while captain marvel is basically the 'hire more women guards' meme

?

The character who rejects her military conditioning to protect innocent refugees against a tyrannical regime isn’t in any way anti-war?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeptofDefense/status/1104064240736964608

Why 'Captain Marvel' is a Recruiting Win for the Air Force — Military.com

Military.com article posted:

Kids all over the world are watching, and loving, [Captain Marvel] in which Air Force pilots help save the planet. Someone at the Pentagon is smiling.

...just saying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just saying what?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Just saying what?

I'm contributing to the current conversation that Captain Marvel was leveraged by the US government as an avenue of recruitment, specifically targeted towards little girls, for the military — or more specifically, the US Air Force — in which the film's lead actor, Brie Larson, actively partook in.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The external promotions don’t change the actual text of the film, though, which is decidedly anti-war. At least as much so as Wonder Woman.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Most little girls and boys aren't going to soak in and understand the text of the film unless someone explains it to them. Otherwise it's all just a light show showing how awesome pilots are. I'm not singling out Captain Marvel here, to be clear. Even Man of Steel had promotional tie-ins to the National Guard in similar fashion. Although I don't remember if Henry Cavill ever actively participated in any specific/targeted advertisements; I know they used B-roll footage of his workouts as a kind of recruitment video, and featured videos with Mark Twight (the Gym Jones guy who trained Cavill) hosting workout sessions with a bunch of people in the National Guard.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
By that token, pretty much every movie where fightmans fight is “blatant military recruitment propaganda” and we’re basically nowhere, though. Wonder Woman is textually anti-war, but little girls aren’t going to understand the nuance of that, either. They’re going to see supermodel Gal Gadot beaning Germans with her shield and think it’s cool.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

By that token, pretty much every movie where fightmans fight is “blatant military recruitment propaganda” and we’re basically nowhere, though. Wonder Woman is textually anti-war, but little girls aren’t going to understand the nuance of that, either. They’re going to see supermodel Gal Gadot beaning Germans with her shield and think it’s cool.

The difference in this particular comparison is how each film was marketed through their promotional assets. Yes, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman are both films that carry an anti-war message and the marketing doesn't change the text of either film. Though, Wonder Woman wasn't leveraged by the armed forces for military propaganda (to my knowledge), while Captain Marvel unashamedly was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Phylodox posted:

By that token, pretty much every movie where fightmans fight is “blatant military recruitment propaganda”

I mean... yeah?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Google "captain marvel air force" and just look at all the relevant content to the USAF that comes up.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Kind of weird when the USAF is depicted as a stifling boys cub and Carol only achieves her dreams by going into the private sector as a test pilot

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

The difference in this particular comparison is how each film was marketed through their promotional assets. Yes, Captain Marvel and Wonder Woman are both films that carry an anti-war message and the marketing doesn't change the text of either film. Though, Wonder Woman wasn't leveraged by the armed forces for military propaganda (to my knowledge), while Captain Marvel unashamedly was.

That doesn’t make it military propaganda, it just means aspects of it were taken out of context to market something. It’s like saying Scarface is blatant cocaine propaganda, or Fight Club is blatant douchey new age anarchist toxic masculinity propaganda.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I have trouble hating Air Force propaganda because jet planes are loving rad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

That doesn’t make it military propaganda, it just means aspects of it were taken out of context to market something. It’s like saying Scarface is blatant cocaine propaganda, or Fight Club is blatant douchey new age anarchist toxic masculinity propaganda.

I mean, how else would you describe Brie Larson literally saying "let's make girls fly!" after explaining how awesome the USAF is in that tweet I embedded.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

I mean, how else would you describe Brie Larson literally saying "let's make girls fly!" after explaining how awesome the USAF is in that tweet I embedded.

Not in the movie?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Teagone you should.play ace combat 6 so you can learn that jets are rad and pro jet propaganda is cool

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Phylodox posted:

Not in the movie?

It's militarist propaganda directly related to the film though. I'm not sure I see the difference; Captain Marvel might carry an anti-war message in its narrative, but the film itself was heavily promoted by the USAF and the Department of Defense — both of whom were also involved in the production of the movie — to spread recruitment propaganda. Does that not make the film as such? Or is there another term for it? Military exploitation?

[edit]

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Teagone you should.play ace combat 6 so you can learn that jets are rad and pro jet propaganda is cool

I've no interest in flight combat simulators. I've played Star Fox though, and Star Wars: X-Wing :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

It's militarist propaganda directly related to the film though. I'm not sure I see the difference; Captain Marvel might carry an anti-war message in its narrative, but the film itself was heavily promoted by the USAF and the Department of Defense — both of whom were also involved in the production of the movie — to spread recruitment propaganda. Does that not make the film as such? Or is there another term for it? Military exploitation?

Marketing.

And it’s entirely outside the text of the film, the same way Gal Gadot being a former IDF instructor doesn’t somehow transform Wonder Woman into pro-Israeli propaganda. If the army were to co-opt scenes from, say, Full Metal Jacket to market themselves, it wouldn’t somehow magically transmute Full Metal Jacket into pro-military propaganda.