Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Symetrique posted:

Those microset and sol bottles are designed to be accidentally knocked over. You're not the only one that's lost half a bottle to carelessness :(

Smells great though, doesn't it? One of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Phi230 posted:

So I have the tamiya weathering powder, like that they sell like makeup? Is this recommended for making gun streaks on planes or is there some other way I should apply this. It seems the makeup applicator they give to you is kind of imprecise to use for fine lines

Rub the palette with the sponge so that some of the pigment comes loose and use a smaller brush to apply it. If you want more of a streaking effect, use a damp brush. Test it out on a scrap piece of plastic first though, its easy to put too much on.

Unkempt posted:

Smells great though, doesn't it? One of my favourites.

Hah, yeah. Microset smells too much like vinegar though. Microsol is like a mild windex.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Symetrique posted:

Rub the palette with the sponge so that some of the pigment comes loose and use a smaller brush to apply it. If you want more of a streaking effect, use a damp brush. Test it out on a scrap piece of plastic first though, its easy to put too much on.

Hah, yeah. Microset smells too much like vinegar though. Microsol is like a mild windex.

Oh, I love vinegar. I sometimes wonder if it is actually vinegar at a 5000% markup.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Chippies must hate you.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Phi230 posted:

So I have the tamiya weathering powder, like that they sell like makeup? Is this recommended for making gun streaks on planes or is there some other way I should apply this. It seems the makeup applicator they give to you is kind of imprecise to use for fine lines

I've never used it for gun streaks but I don't see why you couldn't do that. You can use a fine brush to apply it.

I mostly use them for metals, heat discoloration and wider dirt/grime/dust.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unkempt posted:

Oh, I love vinegar. I sometimes wonder if it is actually vinegar at a 5000% markup.

Do a taste test!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Yeah I think it's watered down vinegar. I have the faintest memory of once long ago being told to use water+vinegar to apply water slide decals to model airplanes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Watered down vinegar is a common one. I actually had very good results with 70% rubbing alcohol. It's much, much better at getting decals to fit into tight crevasses than Solvaset, but you can take off paint if you're not very careful.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I ended up replacing my nearly empty bottle of microset with mr mark setter. It works well, but is disappointingly odorless

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

A "tree" of control cables ready to be installed on the Sopwith Camel

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Greyhawk posted:

Welp I just broke out in hives.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Greyhawk posted:

We are a hobby for masochists

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Greyhawk posted:

Oh yeah thats the stuff.

Speaking of masochism:

Sweet 1/144 A5M4 cockpit:

This is the only molded cockpit detail in the kit:

Using some cockpit drawings from a 70's issue of Maru Mechanic as references, I thinned out the sidewalls and removed the platform where the seat goes and added detail with styrene and a few lines of aluminum tape.

Raised the cockpit floor by gluing on several layers of styrene to the one-piece wing. I then added the instrument panel, flight stick, rudder pedals and guides, and a lever thing next to where the seat goes:

I still need to make the back ends of the two Type 97 machine guns that peek out over the instrument panel. And a harness.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've got a 1/72 version to do next and you're out of your mind.

Also if you could tell me where you got that magazine I'd like to use it for my own references I'd appreciate it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

I've got a 1/72 version to do next and you're out of your mind.

Also if you could tell me where you got that magazine I'd like to use it for my own references I'd appreciate it.

Unfortunately I couldn't track down the full issue, just these photos of it:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pity. I'm still trying to figure out a guide for extra rivets. I could buy the thing on eBay but it's stupid expensive relative to the kit.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

Pity. I'm still trying to figure out a guide for extra rivets. I could buy the thing on eBay but it's stupid expensive relative to the kit.

Yeah the documentation for this plane isnt great. People are still arguing about the correct color for the metal finish. I checked a burindo old pdf, it didnt have any cockpit information nor rivet lines for the exterior of the plane.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've seen an extremely tiny preview of that Maru magazine that showed rivet lines if you're game enough to spend the money.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A package arrived today and now I'm raiding my parts box and making something very serious and historically accurate.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

so i previously asked about water slide decals, but does anybody know a dry transfer decal service? especially one that can print white.

I am incredibly close to just buying a specialized printer because some of the quotes I'm seeing are ridiculous

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A package arrived today and now I'm raiding my parts box and making something very serious and historically accurate.

Purrfect!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

So is the actual gauge still 9mm, just much more prototypical code rails? Like if you got more realistic wheel flanges on some normal N scale stuff it would run on the tracks?
Also yikes at those old "pizza cutters" wheels. I use c55 track on my layout, which is much closer to prototype than the old C80 track from the 60's when N scale first started, in fact it seems pretty standard in the hobby these days. "c55" is some insane imperial unit, but according to my callipers it's about 1.1mm so probably fairly close to your track?

Yeah, that sounds like quite a commitment. Shame the gauge is a tiny tiny bit different, but it came first so it's more than N scale decided to be different. That half mm difference in track gauge would absolutely be enough to make things derail and not be cross-compatible, but also super easy to re-gauge any commercial N scale stuff. It's such a silly reason why british N scale is actually 1:148 and results in all UK trains being slightly incorrect proportions. 1:152 is a lot close to 1:160 and 1:150 japanese scale which is cool.

So the gauge is an interesting thing - both British OO and British N run on track that is ostensibly too narrow for the scale. Presumably because manufacturers wanted to retain compatibility with continental/american products, but in the early days it was simply impossible to fit motors/mechanics into true-scale british locos at 1/87 or 1/160 - hence the move to 1/76 and 1/48 - but on the same bloody track! When the association formed (Jan 1960) there were literally zero commercial models, and there are articles on winding your own motors out of ex-government surplus machinery! Most serious modellers in the UK (as opposed to collectors) will model in gauges called EM or P4, which are 1/76 (otherwise known as 4mm-to-the-foot) but with the proper track gauge/clearances. 2mmFS is slightly more niche, but the same principle applies - it's exactly scaled down 2mm-to-the-foot.

All N gauge stock can run on plain 2mmFS track fine, but the pointwork is where it all goes wrong since the clearances are MUCH tighter. There are products which allow you to lay finer hand-laid track that will fit commercial N gauge stock in both US and UK prototypes, for what it's worth. I'm mostly just annoyed that because American locomotives are just physically much bigger in real life, there has never been a need to compromise in the way that affected British N and British OO!

"Code" is just thousands of an inch if I recall correctly - so C55 is about 1.4mm and C40 (which is what I use) is around 1mm, and C30 (which is what I should be using for sidings/etc.) is about 0.75mm. C40 represents 100lb/yd standard rail, and C30 represents 70lb/yd lightly laid sidings.

Not my picture, but part of the fun of hand laying track to me, is to be able to create fun formations, like so:

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 14, 2019

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Those big cat prototypes got pretty wild towards the end of the war

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Hell yesssss.

I'm getting close to done with my techno-hellscape display base. Need to add more washes but looking forward to shooting models with this in the future.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Southern Heel posted:

Not my picture, but part of the fun of hand laying track to me, is to be able to create fun formations, like so:

I've always had so much respect for people who can hand lay such fantastic turnouts. I can barely lay basic commercial track straight and soldering a feed onto a joiner taxes my soldering skills to the maximum.

This is me trying my very best to go slow and put like 10 years of N scale experience into trying to just fuckin' lay some turnouts and flex track properly. The trains run over it, but that's the highest praise I can give it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

1/144 A5M4 update:

Decals up next. Trying to decide on what to panel line it with, or if I even should. I'm worried about a black liner being too strong against the aluminum finish.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Are you using ready made panel liner or making your own? I find that thinning black oil paint twice as much as I usually have it makes a nice subtle highlight on light surfaces.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Are you using ready made panel liner or making your own? I find that thinning black oil paint twice as much as I usually have it makes a nice subtle highlight on light surfaces.

Thats a good idea. I have some ready made, but I have oils too. I'll try thinning both of those out and testing them on the drop tank just to be safe, thanks!

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Turns out my estimate for the original color of the Eiffel Tower was a pretty good match

Found this photochrome colour lithograph of the towers original paintjob.

Getting the whole thing aligned properly was a major headache though. This is probably as good as it gets.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Looks pretty drat good to me!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dead on! It just needs a gun turret.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
And a tiny Guy de Maupassant.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

And here I went and thought I was finished. I'll have to see what the greebly box provides

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where's the working elevators?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Where are the tesla troopers?

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Symetrique posted:

They're still charging their stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-95_Fsr5kQ

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I bought my first ever airbrush today and I'm a little nervous on using it. Anyone got some hot tips?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Symetrique posted:

Was that C&C Yuri's Revenge? I loved that game.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The_Rob posted:

So I bought my first ever airbrush today and I'm a little nervous on using it. Anyone got some hot tips?

acetone and a respirator mask are your new best friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

:eyepop:

SkunkDuster posted:

Was that C&C Yuri's Revenge? I loved that game.

I believe its from the base RA2 soviet campaign.

The_Rob posted:

This is probably the best video on cleaning and maintenance out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWFoG5Inmw

Here's another on thinning and airbrushing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH5OHYfSq5A