Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

"her"

Pretty sure Leader's one of the boy elves in the delegation...or they could genuinely just be a particularly flat-chested girl elf, it's impossible to tell which until they confirm it themselves.

I love Meshi's elf design in all its genuinely well-depicted androgyny so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if all elf men are not shirtless like the one what is the point

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Who cares about the gender just marry them

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

boredsatellite posted:

Who cares about the gender just marry them

i already have to marry marcille, someone else can cover this one

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 14, 2021

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
nonbinary elf

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Captain Invictus posted:

The chubby ones, obviously

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that even though the elf delegation are beautiful there is at least one uggo elf with them

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The little details are so cool. Like, all the Canaries have a divot cut out of their ears, which appears to be unique to their organization, and present even in Kabru's flashbacks to his village. The only two that don't have this are the larger-nosed 2nd in command (I think?), whose ears are untouched, and the Leader...who's the only elf we've seen so far to hide her ears under her hair rather than display them proudly, and who appears to have actually had the entire tips of her ears cut off. (Well, and the little sprite-girl, technically.)

It'll probably never be explained, but it makes me wonder what it all means.

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
My favourite little detail is Sureau's bell is still ringing. Laius is in this chapter in spirit if not in person.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

a fatal mistake

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like that even though the elf delegation are beautiful there is at least one uggo elf with them

that is not true, and I demand you take back that insult about my wife

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
There was no cooking, so I was hm

But then I realized this was a very good plot chapter and am all for it. I gotta do a reread so I can understand the world building a bit better, but man Dungeon Meshi is so good.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are the elves about to do some genociding?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The genociding has already been done.

After all, what happens with an uneven distribution of wealth when there's a very even distribution of the desire for wealth :v:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

I also have a lazy eye so it makes me happy to see someone cool with it :shobon:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

goblin week posted:

I also have a lazy eye so it makes me happy to see someone cool with it :shobon:

When it was first revealed in the previous chapter, it actually made them cooler for me than they'd been in their generic 'face hidden in darkness' state.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

nonbinary elf

The attackers on page 14 refer to the captain as 'they', so that might actually not be out of the question. I'm also not quite sure whether the shirtless elf is a man; the markings and lack of nipples kind of look like they underwent some sort of magical surgery. It really is extremely cool that this sort of nonstandard gender expressions seems to be a deliberate angle.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

good wizard: teleports people and they don't get stuck in a wall
bad wizard: teleports people and they do get stuck in a wall
badass wizard: teleports people so part of them gets stuck in a wall, and the rest of their body doesn't move :gonk:

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
As far as I can recall, we haven't seen a single confirmed male elf in the series thus far, I mean, other than Marcille's (presumed) father's existence. Not, like, represented visually on-panel. Most of this is simply due to their relative rarity on the island until the Canaries showed up, with the only other elf to appear being the noob adventurer girl from the early chapters.

I'm assuming, for the moment, that several of the Canaries are meant to be male, including the barechested one, and they're just highly androgynous by default, but it's only an assumption, of course.

It would certainly explain why Marcille's image of Laius, even after all the time they've spent together, was somewhat more extra-hulking (if not nearly as much as Chilchack's, of course) than the reality, if the notion of human sexual dimorphism is one she still isn't fully accustomed to.

edit: Also, now that we've actually gotten to see an elf that knows how to fight do so, it's really consistent with Kabru's fighting style, which has been rather different than anyone else's thus far, only focused on hitting people to telefrag them, rather than to stick a sharp bit of metal into them; same movements to achieve their goal.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 13, 2019

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

As far as I can recall, we haven't seen a single confirmed male elf in the series thus far, I mean, other than Marcille's (presumed) father's existence.

What about Elf Senshi

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

goblin week posted:

What about Elf Senshi

Ah, good point, that totally slipped my mind there.

Of course, except for the comedy facial hair, he would have easily been as androgynous as any of the (theoretically) male Canaries, so...hey.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

good wizard: teleports people and they don't get stuck in a wall
bad wizard: teleports people and they do get stuck in a wall
badass wizard: teleports people so part of them gets stuck in a wall, and the rest of their body doesn't move :gonk:

Weaponized telefragging is not a very common occurrence, but I love it when it happens. Although I also couldn't help but remember the teleporting Contractor from 'Darker than Black' who swapped places with an equal amount of matter so he would literally emerge from the wall at times.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I don’t think the elf is killing them, they are swapping their bodies with the walls so technically there is space within the walls created for the enemies. Now what happens when the forces of the wall crush their limbs or how they are getting out I don’t know.

The elves did weaponize wealth inequality though so I must oppose them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah they explicitly are swapping out precisely the same wallspace as the person takes up, so it may be a bit hard to breathe, but they should be fine like the guy in the ceiling.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Of course, except for the comedy facial hair, he would have easily been as androgynous as any of the (theoretically) male Canaries, so...hey.

The elf versions of Laius and Chilchak certainly fit the look:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fellis posted:

I don’t think the elf is killing them, they are swapping their bodies with the walls so technically there is space within the walls created for the enemies. Now what happens when the forces of the wall crush their limbs or how they are getting out I don’t know.

The elves did weaponize wealth inequality though so I must oppose them

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah they explicitly are swapping out precisely the same wallspace as the person takes up, so it may be a bit hard to breathe, but they should be fine like the guy in the ceiling.

Pretty sure the ones who got full-body-swapped are going to suffocate almost immediately, and even if they somehow don't, they're going to starve to death/die of thirst because who the hell is going to get them out of wherever the hell they got sent.

Given that the elves are currently deliberately provoking the dungeon in order to terrify dungeon squatters in a potentially lethal manner, I don't really think they're above just straight up killing people in their way.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Feminine elves (verses masculine dwarves) is a pretty old hat for post-Tolkien fantasy, so yeah, the captain could be whatever. Going by the build I'm guessing "Guy," but I thought the Mad Sorcerer was a girl until Yaado said otherwise so I'm no expert.

That's a pretty nasty trick though. I bet the captain's capable of much worse.

Captain Invictus posted:

Assuming they aren't left there. Three-to-four days without water kills most people, and the dude hanging from the ceiling probably has even less time than that. The human body isn't designed to spend extended periods of time upside down.

Given these guys were mafia-types, they're probably in for the slow death.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like how the dude who ordered their deaths was teleported specifically so that only his face is left uncovered and nothing else.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The elves own, which is a something I was convinced I would never write.

Also the dark skinned elf (Sishys?) is disturbingly giddy about killing people and seems to be just a smug rear end in a top hat in general.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Shamelessly stolen from /tg/:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't think those guys are far from the populated part of the dungeon, it's unlikely that nobody would go near the room in the three days it takes them to die of thirst

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Lt. Lizard posted:

The elves own, which is a something I was convinced I would never write.

Dungeon Meshi elves are probably one of the more varied and interesting depiction of elves in fantasy media for me in a long while (although my frame of reference is limited to be sure)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Shamelessly stolen from /tg/:

No sense of Up or down either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Carpator Diei posted:

The attackers on page 14 refer to the captain as 'they', so that might actually not be out of the question. I'm also not quite sure whether the shirtless elf is a man; the markings and lack of nipples kind of look like they underwent some sort of magical surgery. It really is extremely cool that this sort of nonstandard gender expressions seems to be a deliberate angle.

The "they" is almost certainly a translation issue rather than authorial intent. Japanese simply doesn't feel the need to specify gender in that sort of line. IE: Gender-neutral expressions are actually the norm in Japanese, and don't carry any special connotation. So the translators themselves were uncertain and expressed that uncertainty through the dialog. Although it's of course worth noting that this was just a random thug who'd never met them before, so even if it was intentional it doesn't indicate the elf's preferred identity.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Male Marcielle

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
He is prettier than female Marcielle. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lt. Lizard posted:

He is prettier than female Marcielle. :allears:

rude

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

EimiYoshikawa posted:

As far as I can recall, we haven't seen a single confirmed male elf in the series thus far, I mean, other than Marcille's (presumed) father's existence.
Here's a potential devil-in-the-details thing that only just now occurred to me after the latest chapter and the reposting of how the cast looks as different races.
Is it just me or does Marcille have slightly rounder ears than all the elves we've seen? Combine that with her dad dying young and what her mom told her then might she actually be a half-elf?

Looking back no, she does seem to have the same style of ears as Fionel way back in the beginning, but they're also way, way less detailed then. So that's a bust.

Related: the captain's ears aren't just hidden under her hair. They seemed to be way, way shorter than they should be. And in the surgical sense, not that they're naturally supposed to be that short.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like that the dwarf boss was telefragged offpanel. And it looks like only his face is exposed.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is anyone else getting some anti-capitalism vibes from the manga? Like the way the situation on the surface is described before this chapter, those in power are content to just sell goods and services to adventurers who are barely scraping by in the dungeon. They even offered rewards for people who can bring up corpses to be resurrected that ended up inviting adventurers killing other adventurers just to get some cash. Plus the dungeon itself looks like it could be used as an infinite source of monster food, but the elves in charge of the island are only interested in the secret of immortality contained inside the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

amigolupus posted:

Is anyone else getting some anti-capitalism vibes from the manga?

Nah, it's more generic greed. The services wouldn't have moved in if the dungeon wasn't profitable and if the dungeon wasn't profitable there wouldn't be a whole bunch of people from various walks of life (most being poor for one reason or another) going in and bringing the wealth out for those services to work.

The resurrection dudes taking advantage of the system to make more money than they should is again, mostly greed. After all the system is there to support adventurers going into the dungeon in the first place.

Also the dungeon being an infinite source of monster food/golem veggies is becoming a dubious prospect now, since Kabbru keeps filling us in that this isn't the first time he's seen these events happen and further confirming that the dungeon itself is facilitating this (Senshi's claim that the dungeon works on the desire of the people in it is also reinforced with the Weapons Master (AKA Namari's dad) going nuts at the end there.)