Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

i say swears online posted:

go pay them to live on their beaches imo

Is this a thing that you can actually do?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

there has never been a left wing revolution that wasn’t violent

What about Chile under Allende? I mean sure the reaction sucked rear end, but I'm not sure how to imagine an external coup working against a democratic revolution in the metropole itself. I'm probably missing something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also what's up with the "10,000,000 young Chinese communists to the countryside" thing? Is that a genuine attempt at some sort of ongoing cultural revolution or some kind of capitalist appropriation? Please assume I am dumb and uniformed and cannot process irony.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Kobayashi posted:

Also what's up with the "10,000,000 young Chinese communists to the countryside" thing? Is that a genuine attempt at some sort of ongoing cultural revolution or some kind of capitalist appropriation? Please assume I am dumb and uniformed and cannot process irony.
from my reading through the sensationalist western reporting on it (typical) it's really just chinese americorps. the ten million number sounds like a lot but it's also kind of an aspirational goal that's less than 1% of the population

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

from my reading through the sensationalist western reporting on it (typical) it's really just chinese americorps. the ten million number sounds like a lot but it's also kind of an aspirational goal that's less than 1% of the population

My heart wants to believe but my head tells me to be skeptical

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1116760139225165824?s=20

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kobayashi posted:

My heart wants to believe but my head tells me to be skeptical

reporting: China is shipping millions of young people to gulags.

reality: millions of young people are working extremely boring government summer jobs.

that’s what I assume is happening anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ah yes, all those Fascists put away or blacklisted by the HUAC, like, uhh, and...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Is this a thing that you can actually do?

yeah. mexico's southern coast in oaxaca and chiapas is interspersed with cliffs and inlets so things are really hidden, containing lots of autonomous communities. i was looking for a place to sleep one night and found a little beach town. it was run by some sort of communal citizen group and they operated the beach collectively, charging out-of-towners for use or to sleep in some bungalows. it was a cool experience but i wish i knew more about the structure. i met some teachers and students from the universidad del mar a few miles away in the bungalows and they were fun to hang with for a couple days

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/AJ_Jeremiah/status/1116031357858324481

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/rahmatdani/status/1116865515283107840

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

:hai:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

i say swears online posted:

yeah. mexico's southern coast in oaxaca and chiapas is interspersed with cliffs and inlets so things are really hidden, containing lots of autonomous communities. i was looking for a place to sleep one night and found a little beach town. it was run by some sort of communal citizen group and they operated the beach collectively, charging out-of-towners for use or to sleep in some bungalows. it was a cool experience but i wish i knew more about the structure. i met some teachers and students from the universidad del mar a few miles away in the bungalows and they were fun to hang with for a couple days

Thats legit cool

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1118138225627942913

quote:

Respect among Russians for Josef Stalin has surged to the highest level of President Vladimir Putin’s era, with 70 percent saying his rule had been good for the country, according to a poll tracking attitudes toward the Soviet dictator.

A record 51 percent viewed Stalin positively in March, up from 40 percent a year earlier, the survey published Tuesday by the Moscow-based Levada Center showed. The proportion regarding him with admiration, respect or sympathy was the highest since it began the survey in April 2001, Levada said on its website.

“Nostalgia over the collapse of the Soviet Union is at a peak this year. In addition, Stalin is seen as a figure who ensured social justice,” something Russians are increasingly seeking amid discontent with falling living standards and a government reform of pensions, said Karina Pipia, an analyst at Levada. Even so, the people who admired Stalin “don’t really want to go back to those times,” she said.

Russians were more willing to defend the mass killings and political persecutions that accompanied Stalin’s 31-year rule until his death in 1953, according to the survey. Some 46 percent agreed that repressions were “definitely” or “in some way” justified by the results achieved under Stalin, up from 36 percent in 2017 and the highest level since the question was first posed in 2008.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

:yeshaha:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sjw

stalin justice warrior

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

R. Guyovich posted:

sjw

stalin justice warrior

Serf
May 5, 2011

let's get a nerd's take

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1118179286177984512

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Garry Assparov

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

is russia still experiencing death rates from suicide, alcoholism, etc comparable with a civil war, or did that stabilize?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

now they just need to turn that poll tested admiration for stalin into a real stalin!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Everyone says they'd vote for generic stalin but when you give them an actual stalin on the ballot they just stay home

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
all the dumb nerds drastically overthinking why people would like the guy that oversaw the soviet union winning the largest and most deadly way in human history

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
The gradual/ambient rehabilitation of leftist politics and its figures to me is the result of America waning in power/influence. the President is a big dumb moron that's twice as crass and stupid as the one we had 10 years ago, and the secret is out that life sucks poo poo here as much as or more than most places, so the propaganda isn't working anymore

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
*the singer from the band "phoenix" voice* stalin stalin stalin stalin

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

GalacticAcid posted:

*the singer from the band "phoenix" voice* stalin stalin stalin stalin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVblPI8xQ1s

Edit: Can't wait for some actually good leftist icons to appear rather than having to call backs to the 70s or earlier.

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ah yes, all those Fascists put away or blacklisted by the HUAC, like, uhh, and...

The original HUAC actually was started by New Dealers who couldn't believe that all the opposition to Roosevelt could possibly be coming from domestic sources and therefore assumed that there must be Nazi and Fascist dark money financing. It was sort of like 1930s Russia-gate - right down to the fact the people in question apparently didn't anticipate that the whole congressional investigations thing would inevitably get turned against them by the Republicans.

Probably an example that the Mueller truthers might have done well to study more closely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://youtu.be/MC0Om8v8H7g

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cool. Now ask him how old the planet Earth is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just realized he claims stalin is popular because hes like Putin. What the gently caress.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Larry Parrish posted:

i just realized he claims stalin is popular because hes like Putin. What the gently caress.

Many, perhaps most, Americans are under the impression that Putin and Russia are communist

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

namesake posted:

Can't wait for some actually good leftist icons to appear rather than having to call backs to the 70s or earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjRSBHbBws

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4agvq9eHQM

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dreddout posted:

Many, perhaps most, Americans are under the impression that Putin and Russia are communist

It's because like all liberals he believes that the Russian is a born slave and craves for the rule of a strongman

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

i love him

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

still the best thread on the forums

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Plutonis posted:

It's because like all liberals he believes that the Russian is a born slave and craves for the rule of a strongman

The Slavic child race must be guided towards neoliberalism by their betters

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plutonis posted:

Russian here. He's right.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1118639594189262853?s=20

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/TeddyRedder/status/1118271005552672768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

R. Guyovich posted:

nationalize, democratize and unionize amazon and walmart for a start

Bezos should be stripped of his wealth and given an Order of Lenin medal for consolidating a worldwide distribution network for every legal good.

Imagine what Vlad would have given for that.