Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

Same, share the points system. I may offer points as well but I'm stingy.

How do you roll light when the other person wants to roll hard? Just accept getting smashed?

I practice framing and defense. If I get a sweep I'll slow things down and practice maintaining control. 95% of the people I train with are good at taking cues about negotiating a tempo for a roll. Hardly anyone dives into submissions or cranks on stuff, and medium paced rolls tend to have fewer things like surprise double-leg takedowns and knees on the sternum. We're still dicks to each other with poo poo like shoulders of justices and crossfaces though.

It's also good to take a break after a round if need be instead of just continuing to roll when tired and more likely to get hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My little bro got his blue belt after years of on again off again BJJ training. (He mostly trains boxing and muay thai) Super happy for him.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Using the Georgian grip for Sumi setups is sick. I hit a sacrifice throw using that on my instructor today. Even if you botch it, you still have the right sleeve grip that you can use for a butterfly sweep. Of course I got my rear end handed to me right after that, but....yeah progress on the Judo front.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yuns posted:

My little bro got his blue belt after years of on again off again BJJ training. (He mostly trains boxing and muay thai) Super happy for him.

Congratulations to your terrifying brother

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

heeebrew posted:

Hi neck pain, been a while without you. Glad to have you back.

You doing any specific neck exercises? I've found doing plate extension and flexion has helped my neck pain a lot. Going to get back into that ASAP as well.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Hellblazer187 posted:

You doing any specific neck exercises? I've found doing plate extension and flexion has helped my neck pain a lot. Going to get back into that ASAP as well.

Been doing yoga and I just found this thing called the "back doctor" app which is all about doing a series of simple bodyweight exercises to increase spinal strength. Gonna look into it more. I have two bulging discs that I've had PT for previously to little help. I go to a special chiropractor who focuses on spinal decompression which I think has helped me a lot. I am stupid and went to get a cheap massage from a random Asian place down my street. The guy spoke no english and definitely tweaked me a little bit. I am hoping to go to my legit massage therapist soon (but he's $$$). I feel a lot of trap pain and have had massages help in the past.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

heeebrew posted:

I feel a lot of trap pain and have had massages help in the past.

Still a work in progress, but for me my trap pain (along with some nasty shoulder grinding) started going away when, during shoulder rehab a couple years ago, I realized my scapula were supposed to actually move and not just be locked in place 24/7. If your situation is similar there are exercises that would help (maybe similar to what you're already doing but probably not quite), but also just starting to internalize that concept helped - basically the realization that that type of tightening meant needing to stretch my shoulders not up or down but back.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

You're the second person to suggest shoulder mobility to help reduce neck pain so I'll look into it for sure.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Also share the points system. I will give you a point for sharing it, and two extra points if it's extra goony and weird.

Version 1

The first system was simple “go to 4 classes every week for a month”. Success -> buy new gi, Failure -> start again. It was a success, I went to 19 classes in the month; more than I’d done previously.

But there was a problem. My gym has some evening classes one after another. So I’d just go to one class and stick around for a 2nd, which would count as two classes. These are hour-long classes, but the gym offers 1.5 hour classes too. And one of the classes I’d usually hit was open mat which is highly variable. I was finding the easy way out of my system.

Version 2

The goal of the system is for me to train more. Classes that I should go to, but have a hard time motivating myself for, get more points. Low hanging fruit get less. Points are earned per class, are added up over the week before re-setting.

Pts---Class
9-----Fundamentals
8-----Advanced
9-----Hour and a half class
14---Two in a row of above
10---Mornings
7-----Open Mat
?-----Competition class
39-----Weekly Goal

-The “easiest” way to reach my goal is by getting up at 5:30am at least 3 times in a week.
-Back to back classes get a nerf, though not so big that it isn’t worth it to go sometimes.
-There’s no weekly difference between 9 and 8 points, because of how the school schedule is. Just points in the bank, and a reminder that I like a certain class more than another.

Still figuring out:
Excess points: go into the Bank. Points in Bank can be used for things, tbd.
Failure to reach weekly goal: tbd, maybe bank resets to zero
Competing: probably worth a lot like 30 or something. tbd.
Other activities like yoga, swimming, weights etc: Maybe points directly to the bank. The only way to reach weekly goal should be grappling.

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 16, 2019

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hmm it's kinda goony....

So how does it work overall then? Do you need something like 10 weeks where you hit 39 points and that's your reward level? One way to do it would be just to make it so that only points past 39 go into your long-term total.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Hmm it's kinda goony....

So how does it work overall then? Do you need something like 10 weeks where you hit 39 points and that's your reward level? One way to do it would be just to make it so that only points past 39 go into your long-term total.

39xp to get to level 2, duh. Level 3 requires 87xp.

It's like you don't even read the players handbook for level progressions anymore, gosh!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Hmm it's kinda goony....

Yeah, that's how it works.

Yesterday was monday, that's where it re-sets. I trained yesterday, so I have 8pts for this week. Last week I earned 52pts. I only needed 39, so the difference (13) is saved in the bank.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
As far as rewards, I think you're exactly right to tie it to a new gi; or more precisely to tie it to the money you spend on the hobby . I know I personally used to have a bad habbit of buying things for my hobby instead of doing them; you could assign the points a monetary value and that's how you buy GIs, rashguards, dvds, etc. Better start saving up for the next Danaher.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

As far as rewards, I think you're exactly right to tie it to a new gi; or more precisely to tie it to the money you spend on the hobby . I know I personally used to have a bad habbit of buying things for my hobby instead of doing them; you could assign the points a monetary value and that's how you buy GIs, rashguards, dvds, etc. Better start saving up for the next Danaher.

Exactly. Way back when I was very low on motivation due to a variety of reasons. I bought myself a new gi to motivate my way back in. The gi was worn a few times before going in the closet for 5 years.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Count Roland posted:

Exactly. Way back when I was very low on motivation due to a variety of reasons. I bought myself a new gi to motivate my way back in. The gi was worn a few times before going in the closet for 5 years.

Once you've got enough gi's try using that sysem if it works for you for a few well reviewed instructionals perhaps?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Guys I'll be honest, the idea that I literally get better at BJJ for showing up one class at a time is enough motivation for me to get to class as much as my body lets me.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

heeebrew posted:

Guys I'll be honest, the idea that I literally get better at BJJ for showing up one class at a time is enough motivation for me to get to class as much as my body lets me.

I have to elaborately trick myself in order to do things I enjoy and are good for me.

E: I'm also wondering if going to more classes is in fact making me worse at BJJ, I swear sometimes I feel like I'd be better off scrubbing my brain of all my training and starting anew.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

heeebrew posted:

I also enjoy the social interaction!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Count Roland posted:

I have to elaborately trick myself in order to do things I enjoy and are good for me.

E: I'm also wondering if going to more classes is in fact making me worse at BJJ, I swear sometimes I feel like I'd be better off scrubbing my brain of all my training and starting anew.

You can definitely over train. I think your system is way too complex for what you're trying to do. I would just shoot for a number of hours per week and then adjust accordingly based on how you feel. But on the other hand, if it helps you then by all means keep doing it.

For me its something like, did I train 5 hours this week? If yes, have sushi if no don't order sushi. If no, why not? and then if the no is because of injury or fatigue, bring the goal count back down to, for instance 3 hours/week and see if I can hit that. Etc.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
The points seem fine but I would just tally for the week and not worrying about carry over or complex situations. It doesn't need to be a MECE all encompassing system.

Maybe lower your goal number for every 3rd or 4th week or something to chill a little.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 16, 2019

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

heeebrew posted:

This is true for me too as long as there's a decent range of skill levels among the guys I train with. Entirely one-sided beatdowns in either direction get kind of boring or demoralizing quickly.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Count Roland posted:

I legitimately get better at things if I take an appreciable break from time to time. May be worth looking into taking like a week or two off to reset if you feel like you are hitting a plateau.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

I legitimately get better at things if I take an appreciable break from time to time. May be worth looking into taking like a week or two off to reset if you feel like you are hitting a plateau.

I do too. The points thing is totally a work in progress, I'm only a week in and I'd be surprised if it lasts in the long term. I agree that time off can be needed to improve.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I'm always one of 3 or 4 lower belts in the advanced class which is usually 15-30 guys purple and above. Every day I get smashed. Once in a while I pull off a cool sweep and sensei sees and that's enough validation for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I need to work on not feeling guilty when I don't feel like going

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

heeebrew posted:

I'm always one of 3 or 4 lower belts in the advanced class which is usually 15-30 guys purple and above. Every day I get smashed. Once in a while I pull off a cool sweep and sensei sees and that's enough validation for me.

I usually try to roll with higher belts or equal partners for 3/4 of my rolls and then roll with relative newbies to dial in whatever sub I've been focusing on. I used to neglect seeking out newer or worse people but I found my offensive game has really taken off since I've intentionally seeked them out to practice that way

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've always tried to get the majority of rolls with the highest skilled opponents I can. I thought that was the quickest way to get better. I also like sparring with opponents whose feelings won't get hurt if I feel like trying really hard. I always viewed less-skilled opponents as "rest rounds."

There was a thread on Reddit a few weeks ago where Danaher said something to the effect that the best way to get better is to spend the most time with opponents of significantly lower skill. I don't recall the specifics, and it might have been entirely out of context, but the argument I remember was that lower-skilled opponents allow you to refine your techniques, whereas a high-skill opponent is just a struggle to survive. There were also several examples of high level competitors who for whatever reason had to spend time with low-skill sparring partners, only to come back as an even stronger competitor.

I still try to grab higher rank sparring partners if I can, but it's definitely changed my opinion/perspective a bit. Did anyone else see that thread/have any thoughts on the matter?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ihop posted:

I've always tried to get the majority of rolls with the highest skilled opponents I can. I thought that was the quickest way to get better. I also like sparring with opponents whose feelings won't get hurt if I feel like trying really hard. I always viewed less-skilled opponents as "rest rounds."

There was a thread on Reddit a few weeks ago where Danaher said something to the effect that the best way to get better is to spend the most time with opponents of significantly lower skill. I don't recall the specifics, and it might have been entirely out of context, but the argument I remember was that lower-skilled opponents allow you to refine your techniques, whereas a high-skill opponent is just a struggle to survive. There were also several examples of high level competitors who for whatever reason had to spend time with low-skill sparring partners, only to come back as an even stronger competitor.

I still try to grab higher rank sparring partners if I can, but it's definitely changed my opinion/perspective a bit. Did anyone else see that thread/have any thoughts on the matter?

I always tell people this when they are getting into the leg lock game (or incorporating anything new in their game, for that matter).

How do you tap a black belt? By tapping a brown belt. How do you tap a brown belt? By tapping a purple belt. Etc.

Use the lower skilled people in the club as your laboratory to practice things and sharpen them, so you can hit them on better people.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

The rare one or two white belts in the advanced class are loving decent and I can't play too loose with them at all. Every time I try to make it to a fundamentals class I end up getting rolls with the instructor (brown belt) and the 2-3 other blue/purple belts who showed up as well.

Today I trained twice for the first time in a while and I think it's too much. Gonna chill tomorrow I guess. I want to train!

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have training so thoroughly integrated into my morning commute now that the thought of not training never occurs to me. I literally can’t remember what time I would have to get up or what time I would have to leave or how bad traffic is at that hour or where I would find parking if I wasn’t training.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

For what? I feel like Galvao is a super easy going guy

Reminder: Galvao publicly supports Bolsonaro. The guy who said he would be incapable of loving a gay child / "would prefer that my son die in an accident than show up with some guy" and that his children would never fall in love with a black person because they "were very well educated."

Odddzy posted:

Are Keenan and Gordon friends? No need to reply if it's too personal.

Keenan and Ryan were posting tongue-in-cheek callouts to each other on Instagram last year. It all seemed to be in good fun.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

Reminder: Galvao publicly supports Bolsonaro. The guy who said he would be incapable of loving a gay child / "would prefer that my son die in an accident than show up with some guy" and that his children would never fall in love with a black person because they "were very well educated."

I don't think someone should be canceled because they support a particular politician (within reason). Politics is more nuanced than that; you can agree on some things of what a candidate says and disagree on other things they say. I don't understand the political situation in Brazil enough to generalize and say that Bolsonaro, who was democratically elected, is the next coming of Hitler and he's going to gas all the gays. It seems kinda rascist to say that the brown people in Brazil voted wrong and that the white computer programmer in Milwaukee who makes a decent five figgies knows more about the situation in the favelas than the people who live there. But ymmv.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

wow.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

spb posted:

I don't think someone should be canceled because they support a particular politician (within reason). Politics is more nuanced than that; you can agree on some things of what a candidate says and disagree on other things they say. I don't understand the political situation in Brazil enough to generalize and say that Bolsonaro, who was democratically elected, is the next coming of Hitler and he's going to gas all the gays. It seems kinda rascist to say that the brown people in Brazil voted wrong and that the white computer programmer in Milwaukee who makes a decent five figgies knows more about the situation in the favelas than the people who live there. But ymmv.

Less cancel, more a question of how chill he is. People can be very good at one thing (bjj competition and coaching) and really bad at another thing (relationships between world level black belts, politics - other things out in the world).

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 17, 2019

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

spb posted:

The brown people in Brazil mostly didn't vote for Bolsonaro. Did the brown people in the US vote for Trump? Or is just every person not in the US brown?

https://sxpolitics.org/brazilian-2018-presidential-elections-in-figures/19183

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2019

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spb posted:

You should probably do >2 seconds of research about him before you start throwing accusations of racism around dude

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh cool we are back to bringing up Brazil's politics in the grappling thread.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I try not to worry about the political beliefs of the dudes I roll with because anyone who dedicates their life to learning to fight better is probably gonna disagree me with me about some important stuff

I mean, I am staunchly anti-gun and the guy who runs our gym talks about how conceal-carries to the mall just to be safe. The purple belt who takes me under his wing is a hard right mega church dude.

Like, if you cannot isolate the beliefs of the guys you roll its gonna be a real lovely experience because, man, its almost guaranteed

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I agree with Mel and treat the BJJ academy like work: don’t discuss politics or religion and if it comes up just listen. Focus on the reason you are there (earning wages, learning grappling)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Frankly, EVERY brazilian I've read or known about supports Bolsanoro. If you guys are more into the politics than the sport and have a problem with the guy, that's fine. But this isn't the first time it's been brought up, it's exhausting. It doesn't change anything that you don't like the guy. Brazilians are still going to be backing the guy and teaching classes. Bringing up the Fact Keenan trained under a guy that supports him is really not that important.

drat, is it just my gym or have you never heard of "don't talk politics at the gym?". If you're mad at Bolsanoro (for good reasons) don't train under guys that support him and move on. If you can reconcile some of your values with those of people that are supporting the dude, well more power to you. You'll probably be happier in the long run.