Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Doctor Faustine posted:

Is it just me or does Jon Snow look vaguely like Post Malone minus a few dumb face tats?

he’s a mildly attractive white dude so yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

seems like it was a bad idea to send a small child to rally the north's most vulnerable frontline outpost

theory: jon got baby Lord Umber killed on purpose just so he wouldn't have to think about the dumb political argument from last season

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
i have some questions about maesters

do noble houses just request a maester from the Citadel? Do they pay a fee or something?

Are maesters obligated to serve whoever rules the castle, even if ownership changes hands?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Not sure about a fee, but the citadel assigns a maester to every house. There's probably some smaller ones that don't have maesters.

They are obligated to serve the Lord, even if they change hands. We saw that with Theon and Maester Luwin in Winterfell.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Who funds Maester Hogwarts? Are they just required to accept the person a keep assigns them?

Like castle black sends Sam as opposed to Hogwarts sending them a new trained Maester in the meantime.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Are maesters obligated to serve whoever rules the castle, even if ownership changes hands?

this becomes a thing later on, iirc
(though i might be remembering somebody's headcanon)

technically a maester is assigned to the castle/holding, not the lord who holds it
so they are expected to cooperate with whoever is in charge, even if that authority is totally illegitimate

lords probably would take a dim view of this technicality, but it gives maesters a sort of "well, technically..." argument in scenarios where you've got people roaming around stealing castles

Katt posted:

Who funds Maester Hogwarts? Are they just required to accept the person a keep assigns them?

Books-wise, the citadel gets a fuckton of funding from the Hightowers, as does the church.
The Hightowers being rich enough to fund no less than 2 crucial continent-spanning institutions is why they figure so prominently in fandom theorycrafting conspiracy nonsense despite having no relevant characters.

Beyond that, any nobles sending their children there would presumably include a decent amount of money as allowance/maintenance, which the citadel would end up getting some of thru various schemes (paying for uniforms/equipment etc) even if tuition isn't a thing. I wouldn't rule out there being some rule where Lord X has to send in a chonk of gold whenever he needs a new maester - this would explain why maesters aren't murdered more often, even though they probably should be - but there's ways they could get money out of the arrangement regardless.

Also the Citadel could just raise funds itself.
Universities irl are and always have been players in finance and equity, it would make sense if the Citadel did the medieval equivalent - buying shares in a trade fleet or whatever, being landlords of the businesses that cater to the students, etc.

ANYWAY
They probably do have to accept the students sent to them, if the funding works the way I think
Being a place to stash failsons like Leo Tyrell is one of the key social roles the Citadel provides. That wouldn't work out very well if they could just ship 'em back.
like presumably someone could be expelled, but they wouldn't just go "hey, Lord Asshat of Dongsbury, yer kid tanked the entrance exam"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 17, 2019

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does anyone else feel like Lord Tarley wasn't trying very hard to keep his son from incineration? No speech about "you have to take care of the family/lands/name now"

No bashing on the head or yelling at him to stop being dumb.

Just like "Meh whatever lets do this"

Katt fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 17, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Katt posted:

Does anyone else feel like Lord Tarley wasn't trying very hard to keep his son from incineration? No speech about "you have to take care of the family/lands/name now"

Just like "Meh whatever lets do this"

I think Randyll realized the moment Dickon volunteered to get burned too that literally nothing he could say was going to get him to step back and bend the knee to Dany because he'd drilled the kid from birth to be 1000% loyal to him, not like that fuckup Sam, to the point where, yeah, he'd lay his head on the chopping block across his dad's neck purely to be a Good Son to Randyll Tarly and it backfired spectacularly.

Basically, victory defeated Randyll Tarly.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

It is weird that they wouldn't send another Maester to the citadel. Presumably, Sam was in for years of study.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I think Randyll realized the moment Dickon volunteered to get burned too that literally nothing he could say was going to get him to step back and bend the knee to Dany because he'd drilled the kid from birth to be 1000% loyal to him, not like that fuckup Sam, to the point where, yeah, he'd lay his head on the chopping block across his dad's neck purely to be a Good Son to Randyll Tarly and it backfired spectacularly.

Basically, victory defeated Randyll Tarly.

the tarlys also are like triple or quadruple traitors by now - dany would almost certainly have stripped their lands and titles

maybe randyll understood this and thought "hell, we're done anyway, might as well go out in the pissiest way possible, as it were"
dude mostly runs on spite, after all

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PupsOfWar posted:

the tarlys also are like triple or quadruple traitors by now - dany would almost certainly have stripped their lands and titles

maybe randyll understood this and thought "hell, we're done anyway, might as well go out in the pissiest way possible, as it were"
dude mostly runs on spite, after all

Nah, you could see it all over his face. He was legit crushed the moment Dickon opened his mouth. Even Dany got a tiny bit squeamish about roasting him too, but he was so drat insistent she was the one who went, "uh, okay, gently caress it I guess."

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 17, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
tarlys are just starks who can fight

gently caress em for not playing the game

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
why did they spend one of the few remaining episodes for nothing

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think Lord Tarley was just massively racist and refused to commit his 4th or 5th treason because Danny had a lot of ethnic soldiers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought the big battle is supposed to be like mid season? I bet all the Night King bullshit gets wrapped up before episodes 6 or 7. I bet those are spent mostly on good old fashioned Got politicking.

By which I mean Tyrion getting executed for supporting Cersei. The last scene of the series will be Dany wiggling her eyebrows to Jon Snow provocatively while he stands there with his mouth open.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Katt posted:

I think Lord Tarley was just massively racist and refused to commit his 4th or 5th treason because Danny had a lot of ethnic soldiers.

He says something to the effect of this right before becoming a briquette. Something about how Danny is a foreign queen with a foreign army. I can totally buy that his stubbornness was more down to bigotry than honor.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Can someone explain WHY the CotF would want to create the Others / NK and hiw that figures into the timeline in which they created them.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

He says something to the effect of this right before becoming a briquette. Something about how Danny is a foreign queen with a foreign army. I can totally buy that his stubbornness was more down to bigotry than honor.

I'm Canadian and I can tell you that if Canada was invaded by the United States, I would also rather be burnt alive than swear allegiance to them....and im not a military commander.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

TommyGun85 posted:

Can someone explain WHY the CotF would want to create the Others / NK and hiw that figures into the timeline in which they created them.

That’s the mystery the prequel series will revolve around

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

They were fighting a war against the first men and losing. They created the NK/Others as a super weapon to wipe out men. Unfortunately for them, that experiment went wrong presumably and the Others tried to wipe both men and the Cotf out, and mostly succeeded in getting rid of the latter. The Cotf and Men banded together to stop them and mostly succeeded, and using their combined strength they put up the Wall.

Oh I've wasted my life

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

TommyGun85 posted:

I think it was implied somewhere that the CotF created the Others/WWs to combat the First Men, who were doing their best to genocide the CotF.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

They were fighting a war against the first men and losing. They created the NK/Others as a super weapon to wipe out men. Unfortunately for them, that experiment went wrong presumably and the Others tried to wipe both men and the Cotf out, and mostly succeeded in getting rid of the latter. The Cotf and Men banded together to stop them and mostly succeeded, and using their combined strength they put up the Wall.

Oh I've wasted my life

I thought the CotF and the First Men had already ended their war at that point and divided up their lands resukting in the children being in the forests...

are yiu sure the chronology works?

e: I checked a wiki and thry had a pact for 4000 years befroe the first long night occurred.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 17, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

I thought the CotF and the First Men had already ended their war at that point and divided up their lands resukting in the children being in the forests...

I don't know in terms of the book timeline, but the show clearly shows the CotF creating the Walkers. There's no reason for them to do that except to try and kill/slow down men, so presumably they did it either while the war was still happening or as some sort of preventative measure after the war happened.

In any case it obviously went wrong since they ended up putting up the wall and then men learned how to warg and poo poo which was probably taught/gifted to them by the Cotf. I doubt men could have put up the wall by themselves.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A wizard did it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bran: So why did you make them anyway?
Child of the Forest exaggeratedly rolls his eyes
CotF: Oh no! I shouldn't have played god! What hath I wrought???
Child of the Forest rolls his eyes again
CotF: I shouldn't have to explain simple scientific curiosity to a half-monkey. We made them because we could. Enough questions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
THis guys taking Hodor off the grid!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm Canadian and I can tell you that if Canada was invaded by the United States, I would also rather be burnt alive than swear allegiance to them....and im not a military commander.

Serves you right for burning the first white house to be fair :v:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

TommyGun85 posted:

e: I checked a wiki and thry had a pact for 4000 years befroe the first long night occurred.

preston jacobs is a crazy person, but one area where he's right is in pointing out the Children seemingly got shafted real bad in that pact

humans get practically everything, Children get driven to the deepest darkest bullshit forests (and, knowing humans, they'd probably come for those eventually anyway)

it makes sense there would still be a lot of fear and resentment there, even long after the war

basically i think it was peace in the sense that there was peace between the federal government and native american tribes

Ginette Reno posted:

I doubt men could have put up the wall by themselves.

the Others built the wall as a safeguard against human imperialism and other depredations

Mance hosed up this status-quo by digging through sacred Other burial sites, which, in conjunction with mounting political instability and human rights violations south of the Wall, is why the Others were regretfully forced to subdue westeros with a peacekeeping force

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 17, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PupsOfWar posted:

the Others built the wall as a safeguard against human imperialism and other depredations

Mance hosed up this status-quo by digging through sacred Other burial sites, which, in conjunction with mounting political instability and human rights violations south of the Wall, is why the Others were regretfully forced to subdue westeros with a peacekeeping force

That makes sense

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Brandon the Builder was a human and the wall was built with human magic.

The CotF would have just used a force field or whatever.

I've wasted my life.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Unwise Decisions

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Brandon the Builder was a human and the wall was built with human magic.

The CotF would have just used a force field or whatever.

I've wasted my life.

that Brandon the Builder was human is supposition at best

like yeah brandon is mostly a human name so far as we know

anyone can be given the name brandon though!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe the watch would have done better if it was like something you could do for 5-10 years to earn prestige back in your home country instead of being locked away in a frozen castle with rapists and murderers for all eternity.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Jon got out, if he can do it anybody can. Just need a red witch to resurrect you

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

less laughter posted:

Jon got out, if he can do it anybody can. Just need a red witch to resurrect you

I'm surprised anyone accepted that excuse as opposed to declaring him a deserter from the watch.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Katt posted:

I'm surprised anyone accepted that excuse as opposed to declaring him a deserter from the watch.

The watch is decimated and what's left is led by one of his best friends who saw him die and come back. Not to mention Ned was probably the last Northern ruler who was a big enough rules lawyer to actually go around rounding up NW deserters and beheading them.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The watch is decimated and what's left is led by one of his best friends who saw him die and come back. Not to mention Ned was probably the last Northern ruler who was a big enough rules lawyer to actually go around rounding up NW deserters and beheading them.

Yeah but some cloak and dagger poo poo like propaganda. Like how the rumour that Geoffrey was Jaime and Cerseis son. At first people were just "well gently caress the Lannisters so alright" with no proof at all.

The Northern Lords ever even question his release from the watch even though that never ever happens.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Katt posted:

The Northern Lords ever even question his release from the watch even though that never ever happens.

Aside from any other reasons they also all know the wildlings are willing to throw down for him. That alone is probably enough to make them all just table that discussion for another day.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Still pretty impressed with how dumb Sansa is.

There's a battle with a million zombies heading your way and you want to send away the shitzillion ultra-soldiers, the shitzillion psycho barbarian cavalry, and the two dragons because, what, your plan is to just have lots of food and WAIT OUT the army of the DEAD, who have patiently waited 8000 years to gently caress you up?

Jesus Christ, Sansa is the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Sansa did like one not dumb thing ever and that was to have Balish executed. I was amazed at how not dumb that was.

And it's been back down hill after that. Aryas "she's the smartest person I know" makes no sense at all.