Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Dungeon Meshi has a lot of common elements and could be seen as an example of a genre I'll refer to as "back to the land narratives", which includes stuff like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley. Much of the humor and uniqueness comes from the fact that this is being mashed up with Wizardry/Etrian Odyssy-esque dungeon crawling.

The genre isn't anti-capitalist so much as it taps into feelings of alienation inherent in modernism. "Back to the land narratives" are all fantasies to an extent, as "I wish I knew how to grow food" allows us to sidestep the thornier issue of "I wish I could come into the possession of several acres of debt-free arable land with the necessary agricultural infrastructure".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I the only one hoping for a Kabru spinoff when this ends?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
There's a level of Buddhist moral philosophy at play as well. Desire is destructive, and the more you desire the more destructive it is.

Senshi comments that the orcs, who desire very little, are able to live quite comfortably within the confines of the dungeon. Their lives are simpler, and not without peril, but they do not invite the same level of suffering as the adventurers. The dungeon cannot tempt them, so instead it tolerates them.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bad Seafood posted:

There's a level of Buddhist moral philosophy at play as well. Desire is destructive, and the more you desire the more destructive it is.

Senshi comments that the orcs, who desire very little, are able to live quite comfortably within the confines of the dungeon. Their lives are simpler, and not without peril, but they do not invite the same level of suffering as the adventurers. The dungeon cannot tempt them, so instead it tolerates them.

Probably crosses over with Daoism as well.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I'd imagine the situation at the top of the dungeon is inspired by real-life gold rushes and such too, where most of the diggers were barely surviving and the ones really making the money were selling shovels.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, its not like communist governments are above exploiting their workers by putting them in dangerous situations.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, its not like communist governments are above exploiting their workers by putting them in dangerous situations.

til anti-capitalism and authoritarian communism are the exact same thing

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Please do not make this thread a debate about the merits of one economic system vs another, D&D exists already.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nuh-uh.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug
The little fairy listening in is too adorable.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I cropped her out for a discord avatar. It's great.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Kabru somehow came out of a chapter seeming like the least suspicious person in the room, which is impressive

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
With a fairy? Be Wary

Around Elves, Watch Yourselves.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If shorty has an axe, never relax.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm a big fan of the elf with the big nose.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I know, right? Another unconventional elf design, much like Marcille, arguably, but it works so well.

She always seems so put-upon by pretty much everything going on around her, on both the human/dungeon side of things and her own compatriots, too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Please do not make this thread a debate about the merits of one economic system vs another, D&D exists already.

Besides, we all know that the magical one is the best. Kill monster, it explodes into meat, money and possibly great weapons.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Froze in place while making dinner when i randomly remembered Laius milking the minotaur a few chapters back

geez louise

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Froze in place while making dinner when i randomly remembered Laius milking the minotaur a few chapters back

geez louise

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lube Enthusiast posted:

geez louise

excited for the spinoff series, Daily Life With Dungeon Girl

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
New chapter

*banging table* CASTER FIGHT! CASTER FIGHT!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love the elves.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

The small shrooms are cute. :3:

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
The implication in earlier chapters was that the elves were some kind of sinister force, but now I'm wondering if this team just had a Dirty Pair-like reputation for killing as many people as they saved and that's why nobody wanted them to get involved.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The Kabru and Captain dynamic rules. Almost has a buddy cop feel to it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

MikeSevigny posted:

The implication in earlier chapters was that the elves were some kind of sinister force, but now I'm wondering if this team just had a Dirty Pair-like reputation for killing as many people as they saved and that's why nobody wanted them to get involved.

Yea, they look like group that would, if left unchecked, cause massive collateral damage while having nothing but good intentions in mind and basically trying to do their best. :allears:

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Can Of Worms posted:

The small shrooms are cute. :3:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
When you have an instant-teleportation hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Did the fairy turn into a staff, or does she just show up when it's unsummoned?

Also, it seems elves are poor judges of emotion... Really adds to their otherworldly aura. Happy to see them? Angry? They just see lesser beings doing whatever such creatures do.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

When you have an instant-teleportation hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I saw it mentioned that the captain's teleportation ability might actually be ethereal Jaunt given it seems to be momentum based. The captain was able to send the giant mushroom down to a floor he hasn't been too in this dungeon. Likewise when he and Kabru jump to the pillar it looks like he's pushing both of them and Kabru's posture supports this. And the previous chapter could be interpreted as the captain "pushing" people around using his ability through light kicks and punches. Nothing concrete but it's a bit odd that the captain could select a destination they haven't been too yet with a teleportation ability

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh so their teleportation follows Nightcrawler rules; momentum based, and can teleport basically anywhere, but to go somewhere that's not in visual range is dangerous because you don't know what's at the end point. (Also it's not really a teleportation as much as a "swap places with something at the destination point" and that something can be anything, including air.)

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

A small detail, but I really like how the Captain's bad eye is drawn, all barely open and creepy-looking. It's way more visually interesting than the ubiquitous vertical scar/no pupil look or an eyepatch, and fits well with the idea that the elves just don't give a gently caress.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Something else to ruminate on is the method in which a dungeon will actually restock valuable items once it reaches the 4th level of growth. Some of this could be explained by adventurers finding the gear of previous parties, but the picture outright shows a treasure chest so how exactly does the magic of the dungeon create more gold coins or other valuables? The layout also changes and we know this is all a response to an increase in desire and occupation from outsiders, yet this all happens without any overseer like the Mad Sorcerer in this particular dungeon.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A wizard did it.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's just magic that happens when something dungeon-like forms. Marcille and Farlyn are able to invoke weird dungeon magic by making miniature dungeons in essentially pitri dishes.

It's probably impossible to explain dungeons forming naturally without invoking magic. So essentially, a wizard did it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What series started the whole "dungeons are a living organism" thing? A fair few isekai have started using that style for dungeons as of late, too. Stuff like having a core at the center of a dungeon that grows as more adventurers die in it, producing stronger monsters, etc

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Tetracube posted:

It's just magic that happens when something dungeon-like forms. Marcille and Farlyn are able to invoke weird dungeon magic by making miniature dungeons in essentially pitri dishes.

It's probably impossible to explain dungeons forming naturally without invoking magic. So essentially, a wizard did it.

The dungeon that Farlyn is pulling dirt and spirits from in this bit is a naturally occuring cave that naturally happens to have an excess of Mana. It's called a Dungeon multiple times, so I think some dungeons are naturally occuring.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Captain Invictus posted:

What series started the whole "dungeons are a living organism" thing? A fair few isekai have started using that style for dungeons as of late, too. Stuff like having a core at the center of a dungeon that grows as more adventurers die in it, producing stronger monsters, etc
Dungeon Keeper fanfic?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Isn't there a dungeon keeper manga out right now that's blatantly ripping off Dungeon Meshi to the point where the volume covers are the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The "Living dungeons" concept been a thing for a while, you can find it in some tabletop rpg stuff and its actually part of the basic setting of 13th Age.