Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I should point out that I am working in a massive gross swamp, in North Ontario. It was 20 degrees yesterday. It's been above ten degrees for over two weeks. There are all manner of critters awake right now. Snakes loving everywhere.

There are no black flies. I've seen barely a handful, one day, near some water.

This is super hosed up and terrifying to me, more than anything I've read or seen yet, as a Canadian. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Rime posted:

Despite what decades of pop media has instilled into your mind, humans are very very far from being able to pave over the earth and survive just fine. There will be no arcologies or cyberpunk dystopias. The globe will not look like a lovely coruscant, beyond our few existing megacities.

Systemic collapse is coming.

me two years ago: *sobbing grief*.
me now: sick

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rime posted:

I should point out that I am working in a massive gross swamp, in North Ontario. It was 20 degrees yesterday. It's been above ten degrees for over two weeks. There are all manner of critters awake right now. Snakes loving everywhere.

This is super hosed up and terrifying to me, more than anything I've read or seen yet, as a Canadian. :stare:

In the fall I stepped into the North Atlantic and it was bathtub warm. I’ve been on that beach all my life except for being away for like 8 years and it’s never been so warm. It was absolutely terrifying to me and I think I know where you’re coming from. poo poo’s going to be bad.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

thewalk posted:

Were now separate from the cycle.

Source your quotes

Also, it's delusional to think we are separate from nature. Ecological Goods & Services underpin our method of civilization big time. Can't replace those yet. At all. Note even close.

Sounds like some weirdo Silicon Valley hallucinations

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

DesperateDan posted:

So would dumping the bamboo tubes yearly and repacking be okay?

Thanks for the heads up :)

If you mean dumping them out, I don't think that would be enough because of mites and fungi unless you soaked them in dilute bleach or something. If you mean throwing away the tubes away, yeah, unless you get a parasite/parasitoid explosion from artificially aggregating the bees. Look up Strepsiptera for the horrors of the insect world.

quote:

Sounds like some weirdo Silicon Valley hallucinations

All the Google science news headlines are about space, and it drives me nuts. Engineers want to engineer their way out of the dilemma by leaving this planet behind like we won't trash the next place if we don't figure it out here first :rolleyes:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rime posted:

Despite what decades of pop media has instilled into your mind, humans are very very far from being able to pave over the earth and survive just fine. There will be no arcologies or cyberpunk dystopias. The globe will not look like a lovely coruscant, beyond our few existing megacities.

Systemic collapse is coming.

You know, I think they will manage to scrape together one dome-like richebunker. Maybe near the end of the century, and I doubt it'll last long.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mdemone posted:

You know, I think they will manage to scrape together one dome-like richebunker. Maybe near the end of the century, and I doubt it'll last long.

It'll just be the Fyre Festival for survival.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

thewalk posted:

Survival of the fittest, evolution. We are a byproduct of it. We are nature as much as the bees and birds are.

Were just the most successful. Were now separate from the cycle. Now well find out if we can survive out side the cycle of nature

I commend the efforts of those trying to save the worlds ecosystem. But I think humanity will crush nature beneath our boots. In the end the planet will be covered, dominated by humans and the most efficienty way to sustain humanity. And it probably doesnt involve leaving space for other species to survive

We are 100% not outside of the cycle of nature. As someone already noted, this is some ridiculous scifi pulp nonsense. Even a basic understanding of a concept like watersheds would let you know that we could never hope to be "outside the cycle". Humanity will either live with the earth, or we will die with it. End of.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Ironically, the idea that we could be outside of the cycle and somehow separate from, or beyond, nature is what got us into this mess in the first place. We are inextricably tied to it, because we are it, and the only way we will survive this as a species is by somehow realizing that as a society again.

Truly, the story of humanity, I've come to think, is one of hubris. We think that we can play god and bend nature to our will without facing consequences, and then realize too late that all we've done is killed ourselves and everything else in the process.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

This visualization has lost some of its visceral impact since there are now lines for so many years down where the scary deviation was supposed to be.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Paradoxish posted:

This visualization has lost some of its visceral impact since there are now lines for so many years down where the scary deviation was supposed to be.

The 2019 line's slope is significantly steeper than any/all of them, to this point.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

mdemone posted:

The 2019 line's slope is significantly steeper than any/all of them, to this point.

Yeah, but that's what I mean. Back when this graph was first posted (2016, I think?) there wasn't a jumbled mess down there obscuring the current year. Now you have to pick out 2019 from the bunch and it's less obvious what's happening unless you really squint at it.

Also was just kind of pointing out that what was terrifying in 2016 is just the norm now.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I think it'd be a more impactful graph if they started averaging the trendlines by decade. That way the change isn't lost in the noise.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rauros posted:

All the Google science news headlines are about space, and it drives me nuts. Engineers want to engineer their way out of the dilemma by leaving this planet behind like we won't trash the next place if we don't figure it out here first :rolleyes:
this is a dumb take that you got to by having a stupid reaction and then leaping to assumptions from it

space is about earth. 99.999% of it is satellites pointing right back at us.

for fucks sake google james hansen, y'know the guy with the astronomy degree who worked for nasa and did his research via satellites

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
No idea how good this Summary of Solutions is, but I found #1 to be surprising:

quote:

REFRIGERANT MANAGEMENT

Over thirty years, containing 87 percent of refrigerants likely to be released could avoid emissions equivalent to 89.7 gigatons of carbon dioxide. Phasing out HFCs per the Kigali accord could avoid additional emissions equivalent to 25 to 78 gigatons of carbon dioxide 

Of course, this comes at a total cost of 900bn by 2050 so it's not gonna happen lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My 2 cents...

Climate change is a slow burn towards human civilization especially the modern world.

There won’t be a “sudden collapse” of society but an implosion. I find it perplexing that so many think that but I find it to be a coping strategy - “I don’t need to do anything about global warming because when it gets bad I’ll just dead anyway!”

Yes, sometimes massive pieces will fall but sometimes those pieces will be small and maybe some years they won’t fall at all. We will suffer slowly then die or merely suffer for the rest of our lives and live in misery. Then die.

The good news is that there’s still time to make a difference and prevent big chunks from falling off. We have time to prepare for the worst. Yet for whatever reason we’re continually just making it worse and assume “technology” will save us but we aren’t even scratching the surface with our current research.

Finally, I find it difficult even in the face of > 5C to see ourselves extinct but honestly how humanity survives in 2100 is going to be unreal.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

StabbinHobo posted:

this is a dumb take that you got to by having a stupid reaction and then leaping to assumptions from it

space is about earth. 99.999% of it is satellites pointing right back at us.

for fucks sake google james hansen, y'know the guy with the astronomy degree who worked for nasa and did his research via satellites

I've been watching this for the past 2 years and most of their collated science articles have little to do with the earth in general. Even factoring in the occasional earth science story, there are more science disciplines out there than earth and space. The majority of biology stories have a human angle and usually go under Health. You almost never see an ecology story in the top 4. Any scientific research based news collator doesn't have such a skew towards space. Is the agenda just that the public thinks space science is the most interesting?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh hey it's only April and parts of Scandinavia already has summer and southern Sweden is burning. Fun times.

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Keret posted:

Ironically, the idea that we could be outside of the cycle and somehow separate from, or beyond, nature is what got us into this mess in the first place. We are inextricably tied to it, because we are it, and the only way we will survive this as a species is by somehow realizing that as a society again.

Truly, the story of humanity, I've come to think, is one of hubris. We think that we can play god and bend nature to our will without facing consequences, and then realize too late that all we've done is killed ourselves and everything else in the process.

Its basically guaranteed that we will either become masters of this planet and crush all life but what we keep around of our choosing

Or crumble as a species because ecological collapse comes before were technologically ready. Its a race of technology vs climate collapse. So I fully support slowing the collapse to give technology its best chance. But if we succede nature will be no more.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
I just realized I can't remember the last time I encountered a bee. :ohdear:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Svensken posted:

I just realized I can't remember the last time I encountered a bee. :ohdear:

The collapse of bees is pretty regional (like in Alberta I don’t remember seeing bees at all, but once I hit Manitoba there were many) but I remember the green spaces in the city like, humming. They don’t do that anymore. :ohdear:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

thewalk posted:

Its basically guaranteed that we will either become masters of this planet and crush all life but what we keep around of our choosing

Or crumble as a species because ecological collapse comes before were technologically ready. Its a race of technology vs climate collapse. So I fully support slowing the collapse to give technology its best chance. But if we succede nature will be no more.

That’s an interesting take because just the manufacturing of electronics without a doubt produces a probably a few percent of our emissions.

In one way the technology got us into this mess starting with the combustion engine.

Maybe in future we will have to bio-engineer everything we’ve killed to bring it out of extinctions or have mechanical bugs - The Matrix.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

thewalk posted:

Sorry, but I'm afraid this is mainly a fantasy. That ecological collapse is not something that will hit us in 200 years when we might actually have done some fancy technological developments so that we somewhat have a chance, also research doesn't really go towards that direction and we heavily depend on our environment to be intact right now.

We already encounter more and more changes and will face more massive changes not only in the next 100 years, but in the next 10.
Unless until then someone comes around with an invention to fix our dependance on the environment in every branch of agriculture, industry and consumption habits in general, this is not really a question whether we can make this planet into a barren Mars land with us happily dominating it using Sci fi technology, but us surviving along with the remaining 2% of species that might be able to survive what is to come.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 24, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

tuyop posted:

The collapse of bees is pretty regional (like in Alberta I don’t remember seeing bees at all, but once I hit Manitoba there were many) but I remember the green spaces in the city like, humming. They don’t do that anymore. :ohdear:
bees need both clean homes and clean food. most native bees will only eat the pollen of very specific native plants, so if those plants are struggling it has a terrible effect on the bees - that's why i encourage both habitat-building and planting native saplings wherever you think you can get away with it (wherever you live in the world there is a pioneer shrub indigenous to your area that flowers within a few months of planting and the nature of these species means it is probably pretty easy to propagate - find out what your local pioneer is and stealth-sow it in your local parks/roadsides/sporting ovals to give your local bees a boost and really annoy your local council, depending on where you are)

nankeen fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 24, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rauros posted:

I've been watching this for the past 2 years and most of their collated science articles have little to do with the earth in general. Even factoring in the occasional earth science story, there are more science disciplines out there than earth and space. The majority of biology stories have a human angle and usually go under Health. You almost never see an ecology story in the top 4. Any scientific research based news collator doesn't have such a skew towards space. Is the agenda just that the public thinks space science is the most interesting?

lol you've been watching

are you kidding me with this? do you not understand how google works?

edit: everything you've ever clicked on, everything you've ever moused over, everything they can heuristically infer you've even loving gazed at is collected, combined with everything they've ever learned about you before (search, location history) and everything they could buy (credit reports, demographics), aggregated with literally billions of other people, and then intensively mined via machine learning for patterns and cohorts, so that they can then chose what headlines to display to you, in what order, at what time of day, so that there's a loving ZERO POINT ONE SEVEN PERCENT greater chance you will click it and SEE THE NEXT AD

the reason you see a specific type of space poo poo is because you're a 30 something white male american nerd who keeps loving clicking on space poo poo

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 24, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Goons Are Great posted:

Sorry, but I'm afraid this is mainly a fantasy. That ecological collapse is not something that will hit us in 200 years when we might actually have done some fancy technological developments so that we somewhat have a chance, also research doesn't really go towards that direction and we heavily depend on our environment to be intact right now.

We already encounter more and more changes and will face more massive changes not only in the next 100 years, but in the next 10.
Unless until then someone comes around with an invention to fix our dependance on the environment in every branch of agriculture, industry and consumption habits in general, this is not really a question whether we can make this planet into a barren Mars land with us happily dominating it using Sci fi technology, but us surviving along with the remaining 2% of species that might be able to survive what is to come.

What is a fantasy? Bio-engineering or Geo-engineering? As of today, it is in it's infancy and historically speaking it'd be decades before we get anything useful but with the advancements in artificial intelligence we might be able to pull of few miracles. The worst part about this is weren't aren't even trying. We're instead using AI to sell ads, drive cars, etc.

I don't know how your gathering from my post that the ecological collapse is going to hit us in two hundred years. It's already happening right now and we know that if we don't make some radical changes in the next decade a big part will break and lost forever. If we continue doing what we are doing today you are absolutely correct the planet won't be able to support a large human population.

And we will all be alive to witness, live and possible die from it.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 24, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

StabbinHobo posted:

lol you've been watching

are you kidding me with this? do you not understand how google works?

edit: everything you've ever clicked on, everything you've ever moused over, everything they can heuristically infer you've even loving gazed at is collected, combined with everything they've ever learned about you before (search, location history) and everything they could buy (credit reports, demographics), aggregated with literally billions of other people, and then intensively mined via machine learning for patterns and cohorts, so that they can then chose what headlines to display to you, in what order, at what time of day, so that there's a loving ZERO POINT ONE SEVEN PERCENT greater chance you will click it and SEE THE NEXT AD

the reason you see a specific type of space poo poo is because you're a 30 something white male american nerd who keeps loving clicking on space poo poo

Personally, I've found the Earth Day - Global Warming coverage quite impressive. Even if you live in a conservative media bubble it's quite difficult to not come in contact with something.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

On another note, has anyone read Yuval Noah Harari books? In Homo Dues it's referenced the only time carbon emissions were reduced was during 2007-08 due to the economic downturn.

The only thing we're able to do is stop growth as others have said but that's what our economy is tied too so :shrug:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 24, 2019

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Rime posted:

As a fellow Canadian that is terrifying. Black flies are a quintessential part of Canadian identity even if, like me, you don't live in a black fly zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

On the subject of mason bees, on impulse I bought a bee house really cheap on sale at Costco last year. Brought it home and then started to do some research (a not uncommon pattern of mine). Ran into this guy's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjAGb3a7mg

He has opinions, but seems to have science behind him so I took the bee house back to Costco, scrounged some pallet wood and made this:

It's kind of ugly buy allows me to snoop into the bees' activities without distrupting them and is easy to clean in the fall. I started with 16 cocoons last spring and ended up with 160+. Cleaning was quick and uncomplicated. The biggest hassle was finding some dry sand to clean the coccoons.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Tab8715 posted:

On another note, has anyone read Yuval Noah Harari books? In Homo Dues it's referenced the only time carbon emissions were reduced was during 2007-08 due to the economic downturn.

The only thing we're able to do is stop growth but that's what our economy is tied too so :shrug:

On the bright side, we in the US are majorly due for a recession, or maybe another full-blown depression depending on how the agriculture stuff shakes out this year.

I've been trying to imagine what things were like during the Depression, to have an analog for what will happen due to climate damage. My family back then were mostly poor Appalachian farmers and thus didn't even notice the Depression really, since they made their own food. But in a climate change Depression, people won't even be able to just subsist off of the land to cope, due to the wildly violent weather patterns happening now, so both cities and the country are going to feel it pretty severely. If anything, cities will probably fair better, since they are more "important" economically and our food distribution is controlled by megacorporations in a way that wasn't possible in the '20s.

When I was younger, I was always bummed that we were living in such boring times. Can't say that anymore.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Hexigrammus posted:

As a fellow Canadian that is terrifying. Black flies are a quintessential part of Canadian identity even if, like me, you don't live in a black fly zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f389hIxZAOc

On the subject of mason bees, on impulse I bought a bee house really cheap on sale at Costco last year. Brought it home and then started to do some research (a not uncommon pattern of mine). Ran into this guy's videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TjAGb3a7mg

He has opinions, but seems to have science behind him so I took the bee house back to Costco, scrounged some pallet wood and made this:

It's kind of ugly buy allows me to snoop into the bees' activities without distrupting them and is easy to clean in the fall. I started with 16 cocoons last spring and ended up with 160+. Cleaning was quick and uncomplicated. The biggest hassle was finding some dry sand to clean the coccoons.

That setup is so much better than cracking open cardboard/bamboo tubes. I'll make something like that next year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Keret posted:

On the bright side, we in the US are majorly due for a recession, or maybe another full-blown depression depending on how the agriculture stuff shakes out this year.

I've been trying to imagine what things were like during the Depression, to have an analog for what will happen due to climate damage. My family back then were mostly poor Appalachian farmers and thus didn't even notice the Depression really, since they made their own food. But in a climate change Depression, people won't even be able to just subsist off of the land to cope, due to the wildly violent weather patterns happening now, so both cities and the country are going to feel it pretty severely.

I figure it’ll start with us going to the supermarket or restaurant and noticing that whole swathes of items are missing.

What happens next will be the key. Will we re-elect Trump, someone like him, a diet Democrat who only gives good speech or someone who will actually make a difference?

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Beekeeping Goons posted:

cool beehaus stuff

I would love to have a little area with flowers/herbs with insects in them and a tiny bee hotel, but I live in a major city and am limited to a windowsill box setup, which doesn't seem terribly livable for the little guys. Even if I could manage it, I have a feeling my neighbors won't be especially happy about a bunch of bees hanging around. :smith:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Tab8715 posted:

What is a fantasy? Bio-engineering or Geo-engineering? As of today, it is in it's infancy and historically speaking it'd be decades before we get anything useful but with the advancements in artificial intelligence we might be able to pull of few miracles. The worst part about this is weren't aren't even trying. We're instead using AI to sell ads, drive cars, etc.

I don't know how your gathering from my post that the ecological collapse is going to hit us in two hundred years. It's already happening right now and we know that if we don't make some radical changes in the next decade a big part will break and lost forever. If we continue doing what we are doing today you are absolutely correct the planet won't be able to support a large human population.

And we will all be alive to witness, live and possible die from it.

Sorry, I was responding to this post:

thewalk posted:

But my phone ate the quote for whatever reason.

I agree with you. There is a theoretical possibility to fix stuff with technology (fixing meaning we as humans are able to survive this to some degree) but we aren't really trying to do that, as we use the technology that we have to do other things. Large parts of the population probably isn't aware of the extent the catastrophes will result in (see that one Interview a page or two back, where that TV host claimed that the young environmentalist is a fascist because he wants to cause inconvenience to humans) or doesn't care, or already abandoned all hope and says let's go wild now.

The fantasy I meant is believing that we are now in a position to make a Scifi world a thing, in which we dominate all live and accidentally kill off everything else, while we remain to be fine, thanks to technology. There is not enough time for something like that at all, as climate change is here and now, not in a futuristic world where we might have had good ideas and use it for this, instead of selling ads.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Rime posted:

Centigrade? Wow!

That's crazy stuff.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I have one of those bee house things too, we will probably try an easier to maintain setup next year.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rime posted:

So what's gonna be pickin' your bones when you die?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

StabbinHobo posted:

I don't click on any of it. I've hidden space stories and have set my science story settings to ecology and starred so many similar topics, but the algorithm doesn't care , and I see nothing but space on my top stories feed. My phone is not logged into google, and it gives me the same stuff, so I assumed that's the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I made a bunch of posts about space stuff using google chrome and now it keeps showing me ads for astronaut icecream please help me.