Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Guy A. Person posted:

I honestly feel like we are moving away from that paradigm. As noted above, he can just be cast in whatever role where his dwarfism isn't a factor, or ones that are really honest and well done like Three Billboards. He's not necessarily doomed to the Warwick Davis path these days.

He can and should be yeah but it's just a venn diagram of (good directors willing to cast him) vs (lame directors who won't or who would cast him badly) and the second set is likely to be a lot larger even today. I hope I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, I think he's fundamentally proven that you can have a character where them being a dwarf isn't a plot point.

Now if Hollywood could just figure that out with women and Asian people.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The Night King strolls into the throne-room, thick with bodies as his captains dismember and arrange them into their grand designs. As he walks and ascends the stairs he surveys the carnage with no emotion, when he reaches the top all who still move turn their attention to him. He sits down on the iron throne, pulls a parchment out of his jacket, clears his throat and begins his first spoken lines of the series...

"The Pear-shaped Man lives beneath the stairs. His shoulders are narrow and stooped, but his buttocks are impressively large. Or perhaps it is only the clothing he wears; no one has ever admitted to seeing him nude, and no one has ever admitted to wanting to. His trousers are brown polyester double knits, with wide cuffs and a shiny seat; they are always baggy, and they have big, deep, droopy pockets so stuffed with oddments and bric-a-brac that they bulge against his sides....."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

people from prominent nerd shows constantly get recycled

think about the number of people from Firefly, BSG, etc. that you've seen pop up elsewhere, and those shows were nowhere near as big as GoT

their ability to get lead roles might dry up eventually, but they've got basically infinite cachet in terms of getting guest starring roles, cameos, whatever.

speaking mosty for the younger actors here. The older cast members (cunningham. hill, etc.) pretty much have their careers as character actors secured already.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Dinklage is so drat good

I have nothing more to add there. Hope we see him a lot more in the future.

The Trask role was the first one I can think of where his Dwarfism didn't come up at all, and he's of course about as good as you can be in those movies. Better than his Infinity War role at least.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Remember when everyone thought Maisie Williams was a good actress? Makes me think that the problem is her assassin arc turning her into a robot. Which seems kind of silly to me, shouldn't an assassin expected to blend in with people be able to act in a way that makes other people see them as normal?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm hoping Diana Rigg gets some more badass matriarch roles.

Like the kind of roles that Judi Dench gets.

More movies need old British ladies that don't take poo poo.

e: also Bobby B as a fat drunk

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Remember when everyone thought Maisie Williams was a good actress? Makes me think that the problem is her assassin arc turning her into a robot. Which seems kind of silly to me, shouldn't an assassin expected to blend in with people be able to act in a way that makes other people see them as normal?

That's true but like every 5th person in this entire universe is a cold unfeeling weirdo with an accent

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Maisie is probably better than this, Arya is not exactly a tour de force character.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Remember when everyone thought Maisie Williams was a good actress?

Given the decline in the writing it's kindof a given that the quality of the acting is gonna decline. Doesn't matter how good an actor is if their material is poo poo.

Maisie did fine work in the Dr. Who episodes -- they were a little fanservicy but not bad.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dinklage is so drat good

I have nothing more to add there. Hope we see him a lot more in the future.

The Trask role was the first one I can think of where his Dwarfism didn't come up at all, and he's of course about as good as you can be in those movies. Better than his Infinity War role at least.

Infinity War at least had a measure of fun with itself by making him a spotilly CG'd 20 foot tall giant. If nothing else it was a cute sight gag for what basically amounted to a cameo.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah you have to remember when there was actual dialogue on the show Kit Harrington had to act against Ciarán Hinds and he did a respectable job.

Now he's acting against Emilia Clark and the dialogue is poo poo and his stage direction is "walks away pouty".

It's not fair to judge the younger cast based on later seasons when we went from endlessly re-edited GRRM dialogue to two tit-obsessed monkeys with typewriters.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I actually kinda like Kit Harrington. He's def not at Emilia levels.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

porfiria posted:

7 Days in Hell and How to Train Your Dragon show he's got some great comedy chops too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol what a shithead

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1121072576623775745

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

nine-gear crow posted:

Infinity War at least had a measure of fun with itself by making him a spotilly CG'd 20 foot tall giant. If nothing else it was a cute sight gag for what basically amounted to a cameo.

It was a fun idea but like just about everything besides that wasn't great for him

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

no one cares anymore geroge

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

bloom posted:

no one cares anymore geroge

Hahaha. I literally thought he was talking about a book draft. I learned nothing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He’s a monster.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh lmao it's about football? I didn't even bother to click the link at first.

Fat gently caress does a good job of trolling people who still care about the books(assuming those still exist), I'll give him that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know what would surprise the hell out of me at this point? If the show ends with Dany completely mad kinging all of the people that got her there and killing Jon to make sure to keep the thrown. Everyone hates/fears her. She still has a dragon to nuke her enemies. And her foreign armies are loyal only to her, all the great houses have been eliminated, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Ending it in a worse position than it started would be pretty cool.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I fall everytime

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It's finally here it's finally here!

*Twitter pokes its head up*

My pizza is finally here! Extra sausage!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

genericnick posted:

Hahaha. I literally thought he was talking about a book draft. I learned nothing.

I immediately thought NFL draft and then double checked in case he was trolling and meant book draft and I was right the first time.

Never change, Jorge.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

genericnick posted:

You could say he's a

draft dodger

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

You could say he's a

draft dodger

Remove thyself

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

porfiria posted:

I was surprised how much I enjoyed him in Brimstone. I think Harrington has way more potential as an actor than Clarke does, judging by their non-GoT roles. He's nothing amazing but I think he could be pretty good if he's serious about getting good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
it's Harington, one r

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

less laughter posted:

it's Harington, one r

oh lol

It looks so weird with one r.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
he belongs to this aristocratic order: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harington_baronets

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah, like didn't one of his ancestors invent the toilet?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Hhaarrrriinnggttoonn

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, like didn't one of his ancestors invent the toilet?

i ain't gonna trawl through 400+ years of family tree to see whether the toilet guy was actually an ancestor, but they're kin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harington_(writer)

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Hhaarrrriinnggttoonn

Middle English spelling

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 25, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I cursed myself with my own post

Every time I see Bran doing The Stare now all I can imagine is that he's thinking "I can't believe that's how this poo poo ends, ugh"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Does anyone have an updated version of that map of how far various characters have traveled all around Westeros compared to how far the NK/Army has traveled that shows everyone flying all up and down Westeros while the NK has gone from like Hardhome to Last Hearth?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah and as far as we know they have no supply chain logistics to worry about at all. The dead do not poo.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Does anyone have an updated version of that map of how far various characters have traveled all around Westeros compared to how far the NK/Army has traveled that shows everyone flying all up and down Westeros while the NK has gone from like Hardhome to Last Hearth?

better to save it for when cersei's army shows up at the exact same time as the army of the dead

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

porfiria posted:

He’s a monster.

Ehh, I've fully shifted to the "GRRM loyalists deserve all the ribbing they can get", and now appreciate him basically goofing off and letting his fanbase alternate between fanwanking that Butterbumps is actually Azhor Azhai and wetting themselves every time he doe aan interview or a tweet.

I guess only John Ringo would be more justified in hating his own readers a bit. Or a lot.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

An Absolute Fucker.

quote:

((Comments permitted, but ONLY on the NFL and the draft. Off topic comments will be deleted))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

better to save it for when cersei's army shows up at the exact same time as the army of the dead

Good god I hope the Golden Company doesn't go anywhere North of the Neck, that would just be insanely stupid. I guess that would be par for the course for these writers though