Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's a gropey rear end in a top hat, sure. I still don't remember serial killings.

Although really he's just Kvothe with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
He’s supposed to hire people to kill people who have pissed him off. Multiple murder by proxy, but not a serial killer.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Drone Jett posted:

He’s supposed to hire people to kill people who have pissed him off. Multiple murder by proxy, but not a serial killer.

I was being snarky, but yeah he disappears people who makes him mad, including pretty much any woman who gets too into him.

I was really surprised it took him so long to hire a couple of two-bit thugs to kill Kvothe. And why he doesn't have better assassins on hire.

EDIT: Like I got the serious impression that he just came off as a weak lame bully probably more fitting for the age Kvothe is, but really not fitting for a grown man.

Of course, he then constantly gets shown up and mocked by a kid who gets away with it, because the story constantly forgets Kvothe is suppose to be 15/16.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 24, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just really want the Kvothe to come out of hiding at the end of the third book and immediately get stabbed by the remaining Chandrian. Then they can look at Chronicler and say, "Ha! Remember us from the first book?!?! Neither did he!"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Remember when Kvothe defeated a dinosaur and Deena or whatever was there but doesn't remember for...reasons?

mewse
May 2, 2006

It's Deanna

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's Donna. Donna Chang.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Remember when Kvothe defeated a dinosaur and Deena or whatever was there but doesn't remember for...reasons?

Heroin candy! Also it doesn't breathe fire it just ignites gas from its stomach using rocks in its gizzard or something so it's totally not actually a dragon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dragons aren't real! Charizards though...those things exist.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My favourite part about that episode is that Kvothe went there to investigate the blue fire that the dragon was spouting but it had nothing to do with the Chandrian. However, there was a house in that village that did have some connection but Kvothe didn't investigate it and the story failed to progress in any meaningful way.

Second favourite is the country bumpkin conversation derail and third is the painfully long horse trading session.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
WoRlD bUiLdInG.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Nothing about his world feels real. Everything is convenient obstacles the dungeon master is placing. Kvothe never finds himself in a situation that he can't extract himself with a guitar solo or sweet ninja backflips.

What I'm trying to say is this poo poo sucks

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

My favorite part will always be Kvothe deciding to murder a bunch of people for shoplifting an ale but it's okay because later he discovers they're rapists.

My second-favorite part is him avoiding being killed by a succubus by being so good at doing the sex that she refuses to believe he's a virgin.

My third-favorite part is him deciding one morning to not be a street urchin anymore and bootstrapping himself out of it in the span of half an hour.

My fourth-favorite part is the great offscreen pirate adventure forcing him to discard his inventory like it's the start of a new Metroid sequel.

My fifth-favorite part is the complete text of the Slow Regard of Silent Things.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also the inquisition, right next to the Wizard school.

Who, or what, are they inquisiting?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My third-favorite part is him deciding one morning to not be a street urchin anymore and bootstrapping himself out of it in the span of half an hour.

They made us read Horatio Alger in college to show us the Victorian idea that poor people are only poor because they don't try hard enough. It was supposed to show us how unrealistic a meteoric rise out of poverty is, and how capitalism writes off the poor.

Then I read Rothfuss, lmao

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That whole thing could've been used to build some tension, and explain how you can't do magic outside the school or whatever or even have comical scenes where they send around investigators who ignore what the school is for. Instead, it's just like, skipped over. There's a trial nobody cares.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Lottery of Babylon posted:

My favorite part will always be Kvothe deciding to murder a bunch of people for shoplifting an ale but it's okay because later he discovers they're rapists.

My second-favorite part is him avoiding being killed by a succubus by being so good at doing the sex that she refuses to believe he's a virgin.

My fourth-favorite part is the great offscreen pirate adventure forcing him to discard his inventory like it's the start of a new Metroid sequel.

My fifth-favorite part is the complete text of the Slow Regard of Silent Things.

This is two parts too many sir, I’ll have to ask you to leave the thread.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

not nearly silent enough

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The inquisitors are really the heroes of this thread. The only thing we saw them do in the book was take away that one dude who was telling the lovely and convoluted religious story, so maybe they're just extremely proactive and aggressive editors.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Eh that's one of the few understandable things. They're magic-hating cops so of course they'd ignore a group that can fight back (and is full of wealthy white people) when there are harmless old bards to beat up in taverns.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Eh that's one of the few understandable things. They're magic-hating cops so of course they'd ignore a group that can fight back (and is full of wealthy white people) when there are harmless old bards to beat up in taverns.

I mean that makes sense if it was set in the modern day, but this is suppose to be set in the era where they would have a bigger army and would love an excuse to take their poo poo and their lives.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Someone already pointed out that the mean professor in the book is less nuanced than Snape, and Ambrose is even less nuanced than Malfoy. Kingkiller is sold as Harry Potter for adults but all it has is less evocative names.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Kchama posted:

I mean that makes sense if it was set in the modern day, but this is suppose to be set in the era where they would have a bigger army and would love an excuse to take their poo poo and their lives.

It's not really not a modern setting. They talk like bros going to college, they have a pretty firm grasp of things like cause and effect, there are mature institutions.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
three parps

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's not really not a modern setting. They talk like bros going to college, they have a pretty firm grasp of things like cause and effect, there are mature institutions.

Well, I mean, yes. I'm just saying. In the setting it SHOULD involve the religious inquisitors killing people and taking their stuff with heresy as an excuse, considering the religious inquisitors actually do exist.

It really is just Harry Potter In College but I'm still pretty sure before everyone got up-aged but Kvothe it was suppose to be set in high school.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kchama posted:

It really is just Harry Potter In College but I'm still pretty sure before everyone got up-aged but Kvothe it was suppose to be set in high school.

I dunno, I tend to believe it's supposed to be a college of wizards really. Kvothe is just so precocious he has to go when he'd be in Junior High/High School. But to the best of my remembering everyone else is like college age 18+. Also there's the whole "paying for another term thing" seems like it was Rothfuss writing about his experiences with loans etc..

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Evil Fluffy posted:

This feels more like projection on your part than how they're characterized in the book. Since they're basically not in the book at all, it's hard to say exactly how they feel about the wizarding world and magic and taking on easy targets over more difficult ones. Do they have a relationship with a king who would withdraw support of the college? Could they stir up anti-magic sentiment in nearby towns when a drought hits or when a plague kills livestock? Would they murder farm animals and sabotage crops just to persuade people to see magic their way? Who the gently caress knows! It's a total non-element in the story.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I dunno, I tend to believe it's supposed to be a college of wizards really. Kvothe is just so precocious he has to go when he'd be in Junior High/High School. But to the best of my remembering everyone else is like college age 18+. Also there's the whole "paying for another term thing" seems like it was Rothfuss writing about his experiences with loans etc..

Nah I do mean that everything was aged up. I just think that Kvothe and his part wasn't, but it's still written as if he was the same age as them. Which is why he's 15 and hanging out with 20+ year olds and going out for drinks and stuff and in a really dumb rivalry with some guy who really realistically shouldn't even give him the time of day. Hell, none of the people realistically should give a drat about him.

I think making it college was because Rothfuss was currently in college.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
School loving sucks, and I'm tired of books where the setting is school

School is for loving lame-o nerds

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Is it possible the Name of the Wind is just a retelling of Patrick Rothfusses time in university.

I had a mental image of him as Robert Baratheon as played by Mark Addy ranting at his desk.

“It was then I confronted the sex sorority of Delta Delta Sixty Nine, God’s I was sexy back then!”

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Kchama posted:

Well, I mean, yes. I'm just saying. In the setting it SHOULD involve the religious inquisitors killing people and taking their stuff with heresy as an excuse, considering the religious inquisitors actually do exist.

I'm guessing Rothfuss is trying to evoke the feeling of being in a liberal college in the middle of the Bible Belt or something like that. I don't live in the US and I know this things only through pop culture

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pacho posted:

I'm guessing Rothfuss is trying to evoke the feeling of being in a liberal college in the middle of the Bible Belt or something like that. I don't live in the US and I know this things only through pop culture
He went to the University of Wisconsin, so he'd know that only through pop culture too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Pacho posted:

I think you're giving him way too much credit for thinking about things and planning things. He thoughtlessly had the inquisition right in the same city because that was convenient. He didn't think about any of the things that would imply about the setting.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The inquisition's proximity to the magic school represents Rothfuss's experiences going to a liberal university in the bible belt.

The super rich neighboring country where they don't ever use magic represents Rothfuss's experiences visiting Germany, where the locals despise electricity.

The Fae realm represents Canada, where Rothfuss's super hot girlfriend is.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

pseudanonymous posted:

I think you're giving him way too much credit for thinking about things and planning things. He thoughtlessly had the inquisition right in the same city because that was convenient. He didn't think about any of the things that would imply about the setting.

Everything is in this one region

Why even have a world

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Everything is in this one region

Why even have a world

Cuz in surveys of fantasy readers they consistently rank "world building" as a top 3 criteria.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PJOmega posted:

Cuz in surveys of fantasy readers they consistently rank "world building" as a top 3 criteria.
You say "criteria" as if there's some sort of judgement going on. You can throw any old horseshit you want into a fantasy world, and the readers will eat it right up.

quote:

Rothfuss knows what he is doing when it comes to worldbuilding, and Temerant reads in many ways like a rediscovered world of old. It feels real, and lived in, with intricate systems of currency, government, language, magic, nobility, myth, and more. While we only see glimpse the small corners that Rothfuss introduces us to through Kvothe, the sheer amount of history, the sense of scope, and hints strewn like breadcrumbs throughout the narrative ensure that readers are constantly learning about and thinking about the various nations, cultures, and histories interwoven in this world—and keeps us on the alert for new facts and clues.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine if you took the colourful characters and memorable nations and leaders from the Witcher, the clean prose and uncluttered yet soulful narrative of ancient magical realms from Earthsea, and the fantastic rags-to-riches swashbuckling set pieces of Locke Lamora's bildungsroman, doused them in gasoline, set them on fire and then tried to put the ashes back together - that's The Name of the Wind.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Locke Lamora is Rothfuss with better editing hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I will fight you Lynch is way better :colbert: