Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pyrolocutus posted:

What if Doomslayer was one of the lost Primarchs and Big E just hosed up by locking him away because he was going on too much about demons and threatened to give the whole Imperial Truth game away :thunk:

Nah, Big E is the original Doomguy, and the destruction of the Icon of Sin is what lead to the creation of the warp. All that evil has to go somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Doomguy is just what happens when a guardsman stationed in a lovely posting gets sick of the grimdark loving with him, sees a daemon incursion, gets access to more than just a flashlight and finally loses his poo poo.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So, what, the Soul Sphere, Megasphere, Berserker Pack and Invulnerability are the chaos gods trying to sway this physical manifestation of the Emperor's Wrath to their respective side? Or are they the manifestation of the Emperor's Blessing you with divine intervention?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
No, no... you see, it's like Eisenhorn. It's ok for him to use these things because it's for a good cause and he'll totally put them back when the immediate threat is over.

I mean, Doomguy wouldn't be susceptable to power creep and gradually become powered up to the point where daemons literally poo poo themselves at the mention of his name, right?

"You're a bloodthirster... you're huge... that means you have huge guts..."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dog_Meat posted:

Doomguy is just what happens when a guardsman stationed in a lovely posting gets sick of the grimdark loving with him, sees a daemon incursion, gets access to more than just a flashlight and finally loses his poo poo.
When I first played Doom 3 I was happy to learn that the Plasma Gun rendered the flashlight obsolete.

"Light your path with the fires of a burning heretic" indeed.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

D-Pad posted:

So I just finished The Wicked and the Damned after finishing Malediction. Malediction was decent, some of the stories we're great some of them were eh, but goddamn I really enjoyed The Wicked and the Damned.

Even the good Malediction stories I'm not sure I would call horror. They were more in line with the typical grimdark 40k stuff. The Wicked and the Damned was real horror though and really surprised me considering those authors are usually middle of the road. I highly recommend it.

I particularly liked the first two novellas, I'd be happy for them to declare the framing story "just a dream" for more stories about those characters (40K Dexter and 40K Breaking Bad respectively).

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Plavski posted:

Looks like audible are having an unannounced 40% off deal of all black library titles: https://www.audible.co.uk/search?se...0H5YXWT6NX1RDPY

Update: It's up to 40% off everything

I'm only getting a discount on those titles if I've previously purchased the kindle version of the ebook on Amazon.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm only getting a discount on those titles if I've previously purchased the kindle version of the ebook on Amazon.

Could be euro only :(

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Arquinsiel posted:

When I first played Doom 3 I was happy to learn that the Plasma Gun rendered the flashlight obsolete.

"Light your path with the fires of a burning heretic" indeed.

The most fun I had with Doom 3 was cheating in a plasma gun with infinite ammo from the very start.

The VERY start.

They were all heretics

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 16, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Plavski posted:

Could be euro only :(

I'm a euro too, unfortunately. Maybe the UK-deal is a little sweeter than the Deutschgoon one. I clicked through a bunch of titles, and it looks like some titles are even 60% off when you've previously purchased the ebook, so I guess they tried to kinda tie up some form of bundle-deal instead of just going flat-discount on the whole BL portfolio here. Bit of a bummer, really. I would have loved to stack up my Audible treasurechest for the rest of the year with non-HH titles or the anthologies that are absolutely perfect for commutes or shorter trips, but don't really do it for me for nighttime reading.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Taerkar posted:

The most fun I had with Doom 3 was cheating in a plasma gun with infinite ammo from the very start.

The VERY start.

They were all heretics
You are not wrong.

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
Is Dark Imperium: Plague War any good? I hope so, because Primarchs coming back is pretty grand.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

DEAD GAY FORUM posted:

Is Dark Imperium: Plague War any good? I hope so, because Primarchs coming back is pretty grand.

Neither of the Dark Imperium books are that good as far as story goes but I enjoyed them for the lore. Seeing a primarch in the 40k era was enough for me.

Also, the depiction of the Nurgle invasion of the hospital world was worth the price for me.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Did they shoe-horn Bellisarius Cawl into Wolfsbane because people like me were screaming about wanting to read more context about the poo poo Games Workshop have been doing with the big shifts in course regarding their merchandise over the last two years?
Because him saying stuff like "yeah, Space Marines are cool and all, but they can be so much more" was really loving subtle, Black Library, good job.

To be fair, I'm enjoying the story, but there's always this lingering impression of actually hearing GW/BL whispering from the corner of your room "if you think you know anything about him because you know where he is today, oh man, do you have another thing coming".
Well, go on then, loving deliver :colbert:

Speaking of Wolfsbane, the Space Wolves part of the book kicked off hilarious, with Russ challenging Emp's to an eating contest first thing they met, but the schtick with the slang and shamanism and tribal culture is starting to get pretty stale. Listen, we've had like six books showing us ~THE ROUT~ and their ~MYSTERIOUS WAYS~ and ~THEY TALK DIFFERENT, YOU SEE~ and whatnot, and I appreciate the way Russ had to totally show up Dorn in an act of defiance to show he's totally not just a one-dimensional executioner for the Emperor (gently caress you, I liked him that way, to be honest), but can we actually get around to doing things now?

Hell, they actually had Russ yell at his most senior cadre of Einherjarvalkyrroutrunepriestshamans with something super-cliché like "IF ANY OF THOU SPEAKETHSTS ILL OF MINE WYRD, I SHALL PUT YE OLDE MURDER-MAKKE UPON THINE FACE AND CUT THINE THREAD and snow run red and Aett and ValHellar and commissioner gonna have my badge yaddayaddayadda, you know the drill". I get it, jesus christ, can they maybe kill a thing or two now?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Speaking of Wolfsbane, the Space Wolves part of the book kicked off hilarious, with Russ challenging Emp's to an eating contest first thing they met

Are they still keeping this in the lore? Like, the Emperor descends to the planet in all his shiny, golden, pants-making GBS threads divine, fall-to-your-knees glory and Russ is like "yeah, bet I can eat more than you!".

And the Emperor actually says "nuh uh... bring it on you weirdy beardy larping puff"?!

I get that it worked back in the early silly days of 40k where they cribbed from folk tales and legends, but I really can't picture the scene in 'modern' 40k. Were there serfs bringing roast hogs on an industrial scale? Did the Emperor burp during this? Did he wear a golden napkin?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dog_Meat posted:

Are they still keeping this in the lore? Like, the Emperor descends to the planet in all his shiny, golden, pants-making GBS threads divine, fall-to-your-knees glory and Russ is like "yeah, bet I can eat more than you!".

And the Emperor actually says "nuh uh... bring it on you weirdy beardy larping puff"?!

I get that it worked back in the early silly days of 40k where they cribbed from folk tales and legends, but I really can't picture the scene in 'modern' 40k. Were there serfs bringing roast hogs on an industrial scale? Did the Emperor burp during this? Did he wear a golden napkin?

The Emperor appeared in disguise as a cloaked traveler, Odin style, and only revealed himself when he got fed up with Russ' antics and challenged him to a fight.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

The Emperor appeared in disguise as a cloaked traveler, Odin style, and only revealed himself when he got fed up with Russ' antics and challenged him to a fight.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Well, in a 40k way at least.

Let me guess... the Wolves are so cool and radical that Russ TOTALLY knew who he was and just played along though

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Dog_Meat posted:

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Well, in a 40k way at least.

Let me guess... the Wolves are so cool and radical that Russ TOTALLY knew who he was and just played along though

Nah, Russ acted like a drunken buffoon because he finds it amusing. He only realized who that guy was when the Emprah dropped the disguise and punched him in the face with a power fist.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Nah, Russ acted like a drunken buffoon because he finds it amusing. He only realized who that guy was when the Emprah dropped the disguise and punched him in the face with a power fist.

Dear god, that sounds like the most satisfying thing ever. Seriously, how many problems in 40k could have been avoided with the Emperor punching his drat kids in the face with a power fist?

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Just started on Requiem Infernal and it looks like it's going to be The Name of the Rose in a spoopy Adepta Sororitas convent (a Hospitaller one too, not a Battle Sisters-focused one). Will report back on whether it's any good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/17/coming-soon-the-sabbat-worlds-crusade/

Holy poo poo, they're actually doing it. They're actually releasing an updated sequel to the Sabbat Worlds crusade book. :aaaaa:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/17/coming-soon-the-sabbat-worlds-crusade/

Holy poo poo, they're actually doing it. They're actually releasing an updated sequel to the Sabbat Worlds crusade book. :aaaaa:
:flashfap: GIVE NOW

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dat picture of Tolin Dorden.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I finished reading The Inquisition War and I'm curious how much of that novel ended up effecting Ynnead's creation. God brought about to end Chaos? Check. God birthed early and almost caused more damage than Chaos? Check (well, okay, that was just an ongoing fear of Jaq's). Really, just swap out "Jaq Darco" for Eldrad and you probably have a pretty good conclusion for Inquisition War.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I know right. Regardless of the cost I want that book.

Speaking of Inquisition war I like how everyone complained the third book ends abruptly when that's the case for all of them. Even the first and second books have more abrupt endings than most Dan Abnett books.
Also I'm barely into the third one and so utterly sick and tired of Slaanesh that I was really glad Tzeentch started showing up early on.
Pretty sure this series is very much responsible for the image nerds have of Slaanesh because oh boy does it push that angle hard a lot of the time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/20/new-from-black-library-join-the-astra-militarum/

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer is coming back to print.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I see Blacktalon is out in paperback soon. Well worth picking up for a really good AoS story.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/04/40k-guilliman-vs-the-lion-is-the-showdown-we-are-all-waiting-for.html

Thoughts? Personally I buy it and it's something I would like to see lore wise.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

D-Pad posted:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2019/04/40k-guilliman-vs-the-lion-is-the-showdown-we-are-all-waiting-for.html

I would love this if it happens, but my heart has been broke before.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Why wouldn't Gullie just say "look, I talked with dad, you should talk with dad," then they gallivant off to Terra and sit in the throne room for a while until poo poo is sorted out?

I just feel like anything that outright sets the Lion against Guillie is going to be contrived as poo poo given the dire state of things. He's already lived through the Heresy, why is he going to turn without really sorting through things first?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Pyrolocutus posted:

Why wouldn't Gullie just say "look, I talked with dad, you should talk with dad," then they gallivant off to Terra and sit in the throne room for a while until poo poo is sorted out?

I just feel like anything that outright sets the Lion against Guillie is going to be contrived as poo poo given the dire state of things. He's already lived through the Heresy, why is he going to turn without really sorting through things first?

Okay. Guilliman wakes up. Sees the state of the Imperium and is disgusted. Goes to check on the Emperor, now is in command and is doing stuff.

Next Lion wakes up. Sees the state of the Imperium and is disgusted. Then he hears Guilliman's in charge - it's Imperium Secundus all over again, but it is the Imperium. That, plus pre-existing distrust of the Dark Angels, doesn't sound too contrived to me.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
There's a lot they can play with there and I could see them having gulliman ruling one side of the warp rift and the lion on the other in some awkward eastern and western empire thing like Rome.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Big Willy Style posted:

There's a lot they can play with there and I could see them having gulliman ruling one side of the warp rift and the lion on the other in some awkward eastern and western empire thing like Rome.

makes sense and it would be kinda of an interesting direction.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Waroduce posted:

Whose the other marine on the cover of doom. There are back stories for z tier star wars characters, don't tell me second marine doesnt have a name

Arlene Sanders. She's cool, ends up figuring out how to reprogram a simulation they get stuck in when they're resolving the alien literary debate that led to the invasion of Earth in the first place.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I misread Gullie as Guile and I started imagining Primarchs are Street Fighter characters.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

D-Pad posted:

Which dark angel book are they talking about?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Didn’t Guilliman sit down to read the holy book because he’s been a bit ‘wtf maybe dad is really a god’ and we’re yet to see the result of that?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pyrolocutus posted:

Two demigod like pricks having a nice civil chat without squabbling or recriminations? Haha.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay. Guilliman wakes up. Sees the state of the Imperium and is disgusted. Goes to check on the Emperor, now is in command and is doing stuff.

Next Lion wakes up. Sees the state of the Imperium and is disgusted. Then he hears Guilliman's in charge - it's Imperium Secundus all over again, but it is the Imperium. That, plus pre-existing distrust of the Dark Angels, doesn't sound too contrived to me.

Something like this, yea.

Big Willy Style posted:

Thought for sure that's what they were going for since the Great Rift was first introduced.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

"Bro, I woke up 300 years ago and dad was a corpse on a throne, everyone was worshipping him, and then the universe split into two. I hadn't even had a cup of goddamn coffee yet and I was being expected to fix this poo poo. I've been too busy trying to get this poo poo into a semblance of order to even think straight. And I still haven't even had my goddamn coffee. How the gently caress did you get a cup?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wonder what the odds are of the Dark Angels deep dark secret they've been trying to keep will finally get spilled in this conflict.