Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Just finished Papillion by Charrière (translated). I've seen the McQueen movie but not the recent remake.

I really liked it. Understand though it's told as an autobiography very little of it is actually true (or rather, happened to Charrière). But it captures the time and place extremely well, and the story is really good as long as you accept that the he makes himself out to be quite the Mary Sue, though extremely forgivable since his writing is very charismatic. Its more Gulliver's travels or the Odyssey than a faithful account.

Despite my caveats, I recommend it! It's nothing like the 1973 movie and I'd guess nothing like the more recent one either, so you're not spoiled for anything. It's fairly long but easy to read and the translation I read was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

TerryCheesecake posted:

I think he's said the next two books are the same story told from someone else's point of view.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/17/marlon-james-interview-black-leopard-red-wolf

Oh that's rad, I like that very much. Tracker's story feels well wrapped up by the end so I'm glad to hear this is his plan.

I wonder which characters? Sogolon? The Aesi? Will be interesting if he keeps the dual characters as the focus - King Sister, Moon Witch or something.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

areyoucontagious posted:

Wow, aggressive much? I too had problems with this book- I thought it dragged a fair bit but maybe it’s because I’m just not educated enough, huh?

Edit: oh, I see, you’re just an rear end all the time.

that post was written humorously but not particularly rudely, and i didn't insult anyone's education in it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

A human heart posted:

that post was written humorously but not particularly rudely, and i didn't insult anyone's education in it.

I have absolutely no horse in this race but I read your post as pretty rude and not particularly funny. You may come across online very differently than you perceive yourself.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I used to hate AHH's schtick of being an inhumanly snide dickhead, but now I love it and think it's the funniest thing ever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I used to hate AHH's schtick of being an inhumanly snide dickhead, but now I love it and think it's the funniest thing ever.

An Inhuman Heart: a Gnostic Reading of the Posting History of SA Forums Poster A Human Heart

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's the Lum avatar that really puts their posting over the top for me.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

many congratulations to a human heart for winning over the posters of The Book Barn

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

many congratulations to a human heart for winning over the posters of The Book Barn

it's been a long journey and i couldn't have done it without all my fans

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

A human heart posted:

it's been a long journey and i couldn't have done it without all my fans
personally i hold you in contempt

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
only kindness can defeat the war

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

my bony fealty posted:

Finished Black Leopard, Red Wolf yesterday...

TerryCheesecake posted:

I think he's said the next two books are the same story told from someone else's point of view.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/feb/17/marlon-james-interview-black-leopard-red-wolf

imho the experience of reading the novel is 100x different when you know that future books will be from other characters' POV. Three books of Tracker would be unbearable. Really, really hoping that the next book follows Sogolon; she's super interesting, has clearly defined motives, and a lot of potential for interesting character stuff, but in Black Leopard she's largely written off as "just an old witch" by Tracker.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

areyoucontagious posted:

I thought it dragged a fair bit but maybe it’s because I’m just not educated enough, huh?

probably yeah

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

After finishing (a Finnish translation of) Simenon's "Le testament Donadieu" I have to wonder if any of his non-Maigret work is even decent, let alone good?

I guess it's a bit unfair seeing as my take is based on three novels out of hundreds he wrote. Still two more to go and I'm kind of dreading them.

(Oh yeah it's a story about the fall of a seemingly-great house and it's hell of boring because, despite having a goodly amount of poo poo happening, everything is just so loving psychological that it makes me sick. The extremely french dialogue doesn't help. I kept getting a "what if Maugham but worse" vibe while reading.)

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Peter and Wendy by J.M Barrie

The last chapter is insanely depressing when read as an adult. It is a classic, nonetheless.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

Beautifully written collection of short stories about believable, frequently repulsive, people who come into contact with elements of horror, and what that does to their minds. Huge emotional impact in a lot of these stories, but all extremely well done and stick with you well after you finish them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Golden State by Ben Winters

A noir detective story with a genre twist: it's set in a dystopian vision of the future, and while the protagonist is certainly hardboiled he's an officer of a government agency charged with upholding the objective truth at all costs. Definitely a book with a message, and that message is to ask yourself what the truth is. Actually a pretty enjoyable detective story, I feel the book's climax is the weakest part of the book where Winters drops the hardboiled detective story to engage fully with the sci-fi dystopia plot. Generally not a good sign for me when a detective mystery has a very predictable ending.

If, Then by Kate Day

This book is part of what you might call suburban fantasy: a quiet, pleasant suburban town filled with quiet, pleasant people living quiet, pleasant lives suddenly starts to encounter supernatural phenomena that reveal to the protagonists how their lives weren't as quiet and pleasant as they thought. I want to like this book, it strikes a good atmosphere early on and the mystery is intriguing: people start seeing visions of alternate versions of reality - both of themselves and others. The book clearly wants to be about the importance of our choices in life, but most of the characters are shallow and I found the ending unsatisfying. This is the author's first book, and I certainly see promise in her writing if she continues and improves.

The Chaos Function by Jack Skillingstead

A mediocre techno-thriller filled with one-dimensional characters and a poorly explained central plot device you've seen done better.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Beautifully written collection of short stories about believable, frequently repulsive, people who come into contact with elements of horror, and what that does to their minds. Huge emotional impact in a lot of these stories, but all extremely well done and stick with you well after you finish them.

Thanks for posting about this, I’d never heard of it before but this caught my interest and the free part I could download to Kindle really grabbed me so I think this will be my next read. I just burned through Joe Hill’s Horns in more or less one sitting today so I guess that’s the kind of thing I’m in the mood for lately.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TFTO To have and have not by Hemingway. Originally two novellas expanded with a third part to make a novel it changes tack pretty markedly at one point but instead of veering from the central theme of eat the rich the third part just expounds on it. Pretty powerful stuff; I wish I'd read this first instead of Farewell to Arms. Of course the main character is an American macho bastard but I don't know if Hemingway knew how to write any other way?

The first two parts work(ed) really well as separate stories, too.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Read LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media by P.W. Singer and Emerson T. Brooking.
It was pretty good, David Bowie appeared on page 41, and somethingawful's Brown Moses appeared on page 72.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Bilirubin posted:

Great recommendation. Read the first story and it was so upsetting I put it down for the rest of the night. Definitely a slow burn.

I'm not sure what was more upsetting; that she abandoned her kid at a rest stop or that she let's her 3 year old drink Coca Cola. Perhaps it's for the best

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 3, 2019

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sock The Great posted:

Great recommendation. Read the first story and it was so upsetting I put it down for the rest of the night. Definitely a slow burn.

I'm not sure what was more upsetting; that she abandoned her kid at a rest stop or that she let's her 3 year old drink Coca Cola. Perhaps it's for the best

Yeah, that one stuck with me for days afterward. I just finished “The Monsters of Heaven” before bed last night and I think that one will too, although it was more unsettling than viscerally upsetting. So far this is a really great book that I wouldn’t have heard of without this thread.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Yeah, that one stuck with me for days afterward. I just finished “The Monsters of Heaven” before bed last night and I think that one will too, although it was more unsettling than viscerally upsetting. So far this is a really great book that I wouldn’t have heard of without this thread.

I'm delighted that so many folks are now enjoying this book!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

I'm delighted that so many folks are now enjoying this book!

I got it too, I’m very excited but I’m reading the latest Charlie Jane Anders first.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
ballingrud Good

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Just finished Pontypool Changes Everything. Pretty good movie; awful book. The afterword of the edition I read (issued about 10 years after the original) included an apology from the author for ever publishing it, so that was pretty funny.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 4, 2019

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Last month's BOTM, The Doorbell Rang. It was my first Nero Wolfe, and won't be my last. Wolfe is such an enjoyable prick.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robot Wendigo posted:

Last month's BOTM, The Doorbell Rang. It was my first Nero Wolfe, and won't be my last. Wolfe is such an enjoyable prick.

They're the perfect blend of the eccentric genius detective fiction and A.A.Fair style boiled detective fiction genres.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cross posting this to the Scifi/fantasy thread + recently read thread.
Finished reading L.F. Celine's Journey to the End of the Night. And it was very intense, dark, hosed up, funny, and readable in controlled dosages. JttEotN is the thinly fictionalized misadventures of a misfit in a World War 1 to pre World War 2 world, with plenty of colonialism, PTSD, and antiwar sentiment bundled into it.

JttEotN manages to be bleaker than Glen Cook's Black Company books while predating Jack Vance's multitudes of baseline human veniality.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just finished a "Signet Double Mystery" of Wife or Death and The Golden Goose and it and they are completely forgettable in and of themselves but it's weird how important a name is/was in crime fiction. Neither of the novels were written by Ellery Queen (a NÄM DE PLYM anyway), nor do they feature Ellery Queen, but were billed as his works. The style of the two novels - originally published one year apart - is so different that I doubt anyone would have thought they were written by the same person(s).

It's like when Evan Hunter (an assumed name) published crime novels under a pseudonym, and then they were later published under another pseudonym - Ed McBain - because that was much better-known than Hunter.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I finished Magic: The Gathering- Planeshift on Thursday. I've been working on collecting the novels and had a lucky score at a charity book sale last week, so I got the bulk of the novels I was missing. Is there not a thread around that series?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
there thankfully is not

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. While I really enjoyed this book, the ending gave me some extremely mixed feelings - mostly because of how abstracted it was by the end. The author took the long view and explained things, and I didn't get the inner, emotional view that I needed for closure.

But drat if the spiders weren't magnificent the whole way through.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I just finished Sefira and Other Betrayals by John Langan. Much like other literary horror, this book was filled with beautiful prose and generally good foundations for the stories. Some stories were better than others, of course. I won't spoil them, but my favorites were the titular story Sefira; a story called In Paris, in the Mouth of Kronos which was very reminiscent of some of Laird Barron's fiction; a story called Bloom, where the ending squicked me out really bad (in a good way); and a story called At Home in the House of the Devil which was a fantastic take on the mythos of the Christian Devil. All in all a solid set of fiction, although I think it missed the heights of dread and awe that The Fisherman inspired in me.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
what makes john langan 'literary'

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Edit: that’s just my opinion. Agree or don’t I don’t give a gently caress

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

what makes john langan 'literary'

Writes books. That's pretty dang literary, literally.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

areyoucontagious posted:

Edit: that’s just my opinion. Agree or don’t I don’t give a gently caress

oh come on don't be like that

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Oh we're in this thread, so

Babel-17/Empire Star by Samuel Delany

Two well-written scifi stories bound together (Empire Star gets a mention in Babel-17). Babel-17 is about a strange language that is detected before acts of terrorism, and is thought to be related to a war with the mysterious "Invaders". A poet (and all around perfect human being, which was a turn off for me) who just happens to be brilliant and, oh, a licensed starship captain (all around perfect) is drafted to figure it out. Lots of discussion of how language can shape perception in this work, and Delany creates an interesting world. Just wish the protagonist was a little less perfect.

Empire Star is a short coming of age story that explores complexity of thought in a progressive revealed, intertwining plot that involves...but that would be telling. A much more enjoyable romp for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:lol: I just looked up what "literary" means in this context and I'm loving glad I live in a civilized culture where we don't have an equivalent word or concept.

e: Not that I actually found any reasonable definition for it apart from "books I think are really good".