Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think the point of the battle was to empahsize the post-apocalyptic, zombie fest in Winterfell.

When we all pass on to the next life and finally read tWoW, I feel GRRM will describe the actual cavalry charge and retreat we saw on TV tonight in the same way he described the Whispering Wood battle: second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm very glad that the heavy cavalry of the Knights of the Vale supplemented the line for the Dothraki instead of ceasing existing after the Battle of the Bastards.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm not stupid enough to try to actually parse this out, but is the thematic takeaway that Cersei was right to dismiss global warming as a Chinese hoax?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I think it's more like she invested in fracking...well, before the Double Ds decided to shove the fantasy part of the show into the bin tonight.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I feel dumber for having watched that.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
old nan, in the crypt, getting attacked by zombies: ahh yes that is bran the brash, of the second age, known for his thick head, *keeps rambling*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

john and dany both roll their eyes as they wait an overly long time to reveal the guy they know is unburnt

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MoaM posted:

When we all pass on to the next life and finally read tWoW, I feel GRRM will describe the actual cavalry charge and retreat we saw on TV tonight in the same way he described the Whispering Wood battle: second-hand.

en route to St. Peter's gates, GRRM will be devoured by demiurgos

not even jewish god nor the very premise of an afterlife cosmology are powerful enough to allow us to read the drat book

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 29, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

beric is dead and melisandre is right there and they all look at her expecting her to kiss him
melisandre, wincing: uhh.....his time has passed.....*mysterious look*

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did they give Ghost dragonglass fangs? What was he even supposed to do?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Nobody knows. That’s why he disappears five minutes in and doesn’t show up again until the preview for Episode 4 after its all over.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I just remembered that I only read these awful books because I was bored and read a thread on these dead gay forums years ago that was about the books.

Goons spoiled all the big parts of the books for me. Now the terrible TV show is spoiling the ending for me.
After today's awful episode I have realized that I don't hate the fat fucker who wrote the books(and he will never finish them). I hate you all for doing this to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

positives: there'll be plenty to eat this winter

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

they never did resolve the main tension that existed between Dany and the dothraki

namely, that she is reluctant to employ such brutal warriors in her conquest because their whole culture is based around slaughter and rapine, and they will inevitably inflict said crimes upon the land she seeks to rule

people just stopped bringing that up after a while

maybe she used them foolishly on purpose, knowing they'd all get killed and she wouldn't have to worry about it anymore.

banned from Starbucks posted:

wights aren't very coordinated, probably he could trip a lot of 'em or knock them down, delaying them slightly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

melisandre: red.....was....never.....my color....(collapses)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're dead but they still think dogs are good so he's a distraction.

If the show had balls they'd have a wight Ghost attack Jon

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

she could have kissed the dragon right? she could have kissed a lot of things. oh poo poo my power works....uggh....I'm out

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If the show had balls they'd have a wight Ghost attack Jon
Ahaha this is a better scene than the show could possibly have hoped to write. It seems so obvious now that you've said it. He has to fight the symbol of his own starkdom to become a targaryen now but only kinda because ned is still my dad hoo-rah.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

maybe melisandre just wasn't as handy with the ol' resurrection as thoros
thoros seemed able to do it pretty casually whereas when melisandre rezzed jon it was a big production

was this episode the first time in the series Dany used a sword?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

sweetrobin should have flown in riding a bird and killed the NK

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

at the last minute, the White Walkers are defeated by a grand alliance of all the characters you thought were cut from the show

arianne martel, Strong Belwas, JonCon and young griff, the other tyrell brothers, Darkstar, Victarion, davos's other sons, jalalabar xho, the kettleblacks... all leading an army of a million troops from Yi Ti

the night king himself is slain in single combat by jeyne westerling

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Like, am I stupid for thinking they've done this in wrong order on like the most basic level?

You sort Cersei out and then you do the Winterfell battle right? Surely this should have been episode 5/6 not 3.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I'm assuming...

Ep4 - pick up pieces of ep 3 and start to set up confrontation with KL

Ep5 - big fight with KL people

Ep6 - bittersweet epilogue

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Like, am I stupid for thinking they've done this in wrong order on like the most basic level?

You sort Cersei out and then you do the Winterfell battle right? Surely this should have been episode 5/6 not 3.

At the end of the day, you're absolutely correct, but try to big picture things a bit, the show was mostly successful on the back of its trash factor: the one-liners and sex and political intrigue. I think GRRM, for all his faults, has some interesting ideas about heroism and realpolitik in fantasy stories, but the showrunners never gave a poo poo about that; that's been clear since season 1. Whether or not there was ever a good plan for The Others (a way more resonant name than the White Walkers, maybe not entirely incidentally), I don't think the HBO writers ever loved that stuff and they were probably champing at the bit to get one last scene of Tyrion verbally styling on Cersei and so forth.

Edit: To me the big tell was last episode when Dany dropped some line about how she was up North "fighting Jon Snow's battle" or something. Like, the zombies are ostensibly going to end the world; it's everyone's battle. So that line is either selling Dany's foolishness or the writers really didn't give much thought to the whole thing.

There was some bit in the behind the scenes about how the thing about Arya killing the Night King is supposed to be surprising--she's been off screen for 30 minutes, she's not Dany or Jon or one of the obvious candidates. This is how (lovely/hacky/good) TV writers work: the point is producing a series of engaging and surprising scenes strung together effectively enough to get you to keep watching and tweeting about it. Theme, consistency, and strong storytelling are not major considerations most of the time.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
What was with the stealth mission complete with slow pacing tunnel vision enemies in the middle?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Winter is Coming...

20 years later...

Winter is Here

90 minutes later...

Never mind, it was just a flurry.

1 week later...

Spring is Here!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zenithe posted:

What was with the stealth mission complete with slow pacing tunnel vision enemies in the middle?

I just got to that part and lol idk

Arya somehow knows one wight spotting her will alert the swarm ??? idk why the gently caress else she'd be sneaking when we just saw her murking like 20 wights in a row. a few stumbling around a room would be easy pickins

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm so glad the Night King bothered to keep his giants armed

alas for Wun Wun

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I'm kinda convinced now the next episode will waste 50 or so minutes on some pointless bullshit and then rush the conclusion over two episodes as quickly as possible.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Zenithe posted:

To remind us that she has super stealth powers to explain how she sneaks up in the NK.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It was dumb and noisy and disappointing

But Im glad we got that out of the way

Ice zombies? Dead. Dothraki? Dead. Knight of the friendzone? Dead. Last night's watch guy? Dead. Red witch? Dead (who knows why)

So much closure

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
how much time can Cersei loving with people buy before it's time for the series to end lmao

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The strategy was amazingly dumb even for GoT standards

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The Top Gun scene where Maverick throws Goose’s dog tags into the ocean, but it’s Sandor Clegane and the dog tags say “Ian McShane.”

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

The strategy was amazingly dumb even for GoT standards

It’s best to think of it as a direct “gently caress you” to GRRM for not saying what was supposed to happen.

At that level it works perfectly

SmejWorth
May 17, 2004

what! no muffin?!
GURM was, in the end, an absolute fucker.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol.

nice to be back.

e:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Someone post the WWF chapter and the Chris Isaac Wicked Game chapter.

the best chapter was that wrestling one holy poo poo.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 29, 2019

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Hello. Come back to this post after the episode airs next week.

- Euron's fleet takes down Rhaegal.

- Jaime betrays the North. Missandei is captured.

- Dany's army captures Jaime. Brienne tries to talk to him but he refuses.

- Sansa tells Tyrion about Jon's lineage. Tyrion tells Varys.

- Varys betrays Dany because he thinks Jon would be a better ruler.

- Cersei has Missandei executed.

- Dany has Varys executed. Dany assaults King's Landing and it's one-sided as hell.

- Tyrion begs her to show mercy but she refuses.

- Tyrion frees Jaime to try to get Cersei out of the city.

- King's Landing gets wrecked in the battle. Drogon burns Euron's fleet.

- The Hound fights his brother. They both die.

- Jaime fights Euron and kills him, but Jaime is mortally wounded.

- Jaime makes it to Cersei and they die together.

- Dany is executing everyone in King's Landing. Jon and Tyrion are upset.

- Dany has Tyrion arrested to be executed for freeing Jaime.

- Tyrion tries to convince Jon that his family will never be safe because his lineage makes him a threat to Dany's rule.

- Jon tries to talk to Dany but she justifies her actions.

- Jon pledges himself to Dany but then stabs her, then surrenders himself.

A council gets formed to decide who the King should be. Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/em1rby4/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
To be fair to this garbage fire of a show, they did change the name from ASoIaF to Game of Thrones. The ice zombies were never important to the show runners.