Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well that is infinitely better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Uh, no, there's no way that people would accept this anthropomorphic blue speedy hedgehog that can talk if he doesn't have calves.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
https://twitter.com/Czar_Kazem/status/1123345591482953728

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I understand why they made him look more realistic for a live action movie. What I don't understand is why they made him look more realistically human instead of realistically hedgehog. If you're gonna change his design that much, make him a cute hedgehog! Like Rocket Raccoon!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gripweed posted:

I understand why they made him look more realistic for a live action movie. What I don't understand is why they made him look more realistically human instead of realistically hedgehog. If you're gonna change his design that much, make him a cute hedgehog! Like Rocket Raccoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7jGyI3Xmvg

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
anyway, here's a giant look at some CGI Pokemon

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 1, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gently caress that’s such a huge improvement

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Gripweed posted:

I'm not even a big fan of Pokemon but I'm still gonna see the movie. :allears: They all look so adorable. Awww.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:lol: okay that owns

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You got a knife in me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

Maybe I just like Pokémon more than I like Sonic but it really can't be overstated how much better these Pokémon look than Sonic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Maybe I just like Pokémon more than I like Sonic but it really can't be overstated how much better these Pokémon look than Sonic.

Outside of the vastly better rendering, the difference is that the Pokémon keep their silhouettes—which is the most important part of character design. The artists just added texture and detail on top of those familiar forms, unlike Sonic where they both added texture and detail as well as massively changed the proportions, structure, and facial design of the character, leaving Sonic looking more like this:

than his classic design. It's why the fan edit that brings him closer to the traditional design works and the model in the film doesn't.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Cat In The Hat is one evil looking gently caress.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Cat In The Hat is one evil looking gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztxEHtrgTRg

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

Outside of the vastly better rendering, the difference is that the Pokémon keep their silhouettes—which is the most important part of character design. The artists just added texture and detail on top of those familiar forms, unlike Sonic where they both added texture and detail as well as massively changed the proportions, structure, and facial design of the character, leaving Sonic looking more like this:

than his classic design. It's why the fan edit that brings him closer to the traditional design works and the model in the film doesn't.

That post was more to praise those Pokémon than it was to dump on that Sonic, but you're right about why one works and the other doesn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I was thinking about how live-action Mr. Mime is less creepy than live-action sonic, and it turns out the director of Detective Pikachu did an interview with IGN about it. It took a lot of time and energy to get Mr. Mime not horrifying

quote:

“[Mr. Mime] basically broke all the rules of what's going on in our movie,” Letterman told us. “To give you some insight, Pikachu for example, or the Bulbasaurs or Charizards, there's so much real-world design going into those very simple characters. Pikachu we tried to stay true to the silhouette of a Pikachu. While at the same time putting in realistic fur. There's realistic muscle systems and there's skeletal systems, there's eyeball systems. The fur simulates and interacts, and when it gets wet it gets wet. There's all this technology that goes into bringing those Pokemon characters to life. Because we're basing them on real-world physics. Then comes in Mr. Mime, which is bonkers because you can't do any of that stuff with it. So we thought okay, how do we get some sort of sense of photo real texturing in without breaking the Mr. Mime kind of cartoon nature of him?

“That led to a lot of discussions of he’s a clown, he’s a mime clown, what would clowns wear? They would be dressed up in these clown suits. Well those spheres for shoulders, what if they were rubber balls, like the kind you play kickball with? The hands are made of those balloons that kind of have that metallic balloon plastic. Everything started to build. The face became this weird thing. It was such a fine line from disturbing to funny. So we were dancing back and forth with adding a little bit of hair to break it up so it didn’t have a plastic feel, but not too much skin texture so it didn’t feel like a human being with a deformed face. It went on forever until we finally landed on what you could describe as funny and disturbing.”

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gripweed posted:

I was thinking about how live-action Mr. Mime is less creepy than live-action sonic, and it turns out the director of Detective Pikachu did an interview with IGN about it. It took a lot of time and energy to get Mr. Mime not horrifying

Look at all this thought that the art team of Detective Pikachu put into creating their live-action characters, and compare it to how loving little thought the Sonic art team put into making Sonic live-action.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Gripweed posted:

it sounds like they put a lot of thoughtful thought and time into the designs. Why didn't the sonic movie do that..like anyone familiar with the game franchise would quickly point out how wrong the character looks..

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mr. Mime is a yokai.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mr. Mime is a yokai.

And Sonic is a bakemono.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Mime is a yokai.

Is it too late for a Yokai Watch movie?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a fourth one coming to Switch, but it just never seemed to appeal to Westerners the way it did in Japan.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a fourth one coming to Switch, but it just never seemed to appeal to Westerners the way it did in Japan.

It also absolutely cratered in Japan after a while. Part of it was probably fatigue, they put out like 2 anime series and 13 games in under five years and the property went from the new hot thing to not selling real quick.

Its why they took a 3 year break and are doing a full reboot/rebrand of the series.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I found this looking for something else and now I desperately want to watch this movie

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I found this looking for something else and now I desperately want to watch this movie

I remember that poster (and the newspaper ads with that image) terrifying me as a kid.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The poster that freak me out of as a kid was for Deep Star Six with a diver suit that all mess up. Pretty sure I said this before in this thread.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This whole time, Godzilla's really been screaming "BLYYYAAAAAAAAAT!"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Technically it's another blue and orange poster, but Godzilla's breath being blue and Ghidorah being orange were established in the 50s-60s.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i think i said this somewhere else but the advertising for both Pikachu and Godzilla has been so on point (and I thought Shazam's was too but it kinda underperformed) the guys who run WB's ad department deserve a raise

i haven't seen a single bad piece of marketing for them yet

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pikachu is tracking very poorly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Pikachu is tracking very poorly.

I was never going to get excited about a buddy cop movie featuring a child actor with Ryan Reynolds, less so when Reynolds is playing a CG and thoroughly PG rodent. A cameo from Jigglypuff doesn't change my mind.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Lobok posted:

I was never going to get excited about a buddy cop movie featuring a child actor with Ryan Reynolds, less so when Reynolds is playing a CG and thoroughly PG rodent. A cameo from Jigglypuff doesn't change my mind.

He's 23.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think you people are crazy - that movie is going to do gangbusters. I’m 28, I don’t give a poo poo about anything except the OG 151, and I’m pumped to see the ridiculous Pokémon movie for my birthday. I think it’s gonna be a hit with the nostalgia millennials who grew up with it and it’s a super safe bet for kids.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh drat. Haven't seen the trailer and thought it was some teen this whole time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Taintrunner posted:

I think you people are crazy - that movie is going to do gangbusters. I’m 28, I don’t give a poo poo about anything except the OG 151, and I’m pumped to see the ridiculous Pokémon movie for my birthday. I think it’s gonna be a hit with the nostalgia millennials who grew up with it and it’s a super safe bet for kids.

The only people to call crazy are whoever's doing the box office tracking feedmyleg mentioned.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 2, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's probably going to do alright.

Pokémon is still pretty popular with kids and there's a whole bunch of millennials with nostalgia for the old games and show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, that all may be but it doesn't change the fact that it's a huge big-budget summer blockbuster of a massive property that is tracking for a very underwhelming $50 million opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's probably hard to find a theater that has a screen that isn't showing Endgame or at least it feels that way looking over the schedules here.