Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

tuo posted:

One sting is pretty good for that. I did something similar once....let me tell you it was way more than one sting.

One great part about the layens is the install. Basically you take out the can and set it on some of the bottom frame rungs so they can continue to feed from it, tack the queen cage onto a frame, then set the bee box into the hive and close it up. Easy peasy and could be done nekkid should the mood arise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

One great part about the layens is the install. Basically you take out the can and set it on some of the bottom frame rungs so they can continue to feed from it, tack the queen cage onto a frame, then set the bee box into the hive and close it up. Easy peasy and could be done nekkid should the mood arise.

You mean when putting the bees into the hive? Okay, never got stung on that operation, as imo the bees have other problems in that situation. When we were able to catch a wild hive/got called to snap one, I also often only wore a t-shirt and shorts, that never was the problem. I also tend to put them in front of the hive, with a bar leading up to the entry, and let them walk into there (with the queen amongst them). Worked the two times we had to do it, and it's how I learned it from couple other times from fellow beekeepers I assisted.

Going to a hive with a nasty mood and opening it in shorts though....mistake I only did once....MAAAAYBE twice (and I certainly can't remember the THIRD time) in my life.

Also: I'm pretty happy as I got all six of my hives over the winter, and five of them are cool and good, one is strangely weak, still trying to find the reason for that (it ain't varroa, it also doesn't seem like an illness as we just had all health certificates renewed a week ago and the guy didn't find anything bad).

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Hasselblad posted:

Pretty much what I did, except I forgot to pull the cork out from in front of the candy plug :lol:

I'll go out in a couple days and pull the plug and cram a marshmallow in there

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Bee package pickup has been pushed back 2 weeks due to california and it's weather. Maybe for the best, as it is currently snowing, my hive roof still needs completed, the beast still needs hauled to it's static location, and buds are not remotely breaking yet. Second week of May should be dandelion season in full force.

Maybe I can squeeze a shallow pond out on the property by then as well.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

lmao had bees for all of 3 days before the city called me and said the neighbors complained. I'm following code so they can kick rocks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it's a good idea to talk to neighbors and give them free honey and also explain how bees fly up to get over things and then stay at that height till they arrive at their pollen destination where they then descend. If there's a fence between you and your neighbor, that likely sets a bare minimum height that your bees will mostly stay above.

Regardless of having the law on your side, it's not great to have angry neighbors. At its extreme, they can intentionally sabotage your bees.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

That's the funny part, I did tell them. They were cool about it. They're selling their house soon so I think they were just checking regs on how close to the property line the hive can be, but I'm still going to go talk to them again.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ghostnuke posted:

That's the funny part, I did tell them. They were cool about it. They're selling their house soon so I think they were just checking regs on how close to the property line the hive can be, but I'm still going to go talk to them again.

Give them a bread with some jelly/jam or even some meat on it, and put both a bee and a wasp next to them.

Talk to them fiveteen minutes later.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ugh, my package hasn't done poo poo in two weeks. They haven't built out a single frame. They'd be totally hosed if I hadn't put an old frame in there.

I checked them today and didn't see any capped over brood or the queen. Saw some eggs, though I saw some cells with multiple eggs so I've either got a lazy af queen or laying workers :argh:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Ghostnuke posted:

Ugh, my package hasn't done poo poo in two weeks. They haven't built out a single frame. They'd be totally hosed if I hadn't put an old frame in there.

I checked them today and didn't see any capped over brood or the queen. Saw some eggs, though I saw some cells with multiple eggs so I've either got a lazy af queen or laying workers :argh:

Did you coat the new frames with fresh wax? Sometimes that’s the only way to get them to build where you want them to.

As far as I know, multiple eggs per cell only occurs with laying workers. You can try to requeen but they might not accept her.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I'm gonna put in a new frame full of brood/eggs and see if they raise a new queen. Otherwise I'll just get a new package since these bitches be lazy

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
The location of the multiple eggs will tell you if it is a dud queen or laying workers. A lot of people immediately jump to laying workers when they just have a new queen.

New/untested package queens will often lay 2-3 eggs per cell, but almost ALWAYS standing up in the normal fashion and deposited at the bottom of the cells in the correct place. If that is the case, you can either squish her and replace or give emerging brood and eggs if it continues. If you try to toss a new queen in a hive that has accepted a dud, you’ll be throwing the queen away. More often than not, however, she’ll get into the flow of things relatively soon. This seems to be a lot more common than it did a couple decades ago. I see it in almost every new package queen, regardless of source. Never in Nucs. That or I’ve just gotten much better at spotting mislaid eggs.

Laying workers will deposit their eggs on the side or corners of the cells because their abdomens aren’t fully developed. There are some things you can do to try to eliminate laying workers, but all of them are a lot of work and questionably effective.

If you’ve gotten to that stage, which is doubtful for a new package, they’ve accepted those laying workers as (drone-laying) queens and will likely reject any new queen additions. They may not have any desire to make a new one as laying workers are their strategy for making sure their genetics continue.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:

Ghostnuke posted:

Also, what are you feeding them? Sugar syrup that is too ‘heavy’ often slows down wax production.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Just sugar syrup. They haven't really been touching it though.

I'm pretty sure the queen that came with my package is dead. I found a dead bee at the entrance that was larger than most a few weeks ago (def not a drone). I put it aside and forgot about it until today and I'm pretty sure it was the queen. They must have rejected her for some reason.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm pretty sure the queen that came with my package is dead. I found a dead bee at the entrance that was larger than most a few weeks ago (def not a drone). I put it aside and forgot about it until today and I'm pretty sure it was the queen. They must have rejected her for some reason.

If it was a queen, it should be easy to identify. If it has a black carapace/spot where the other bees don't have one, and it is larger and it doesn't have two giant eye-clusters which are connected to each other - plus of course the enlarged abdomen - it should actually be a queen. If she's dead already, you could also try to find/extract the stinging aparatus. Workers have a straight stinger, queens have a slightly curved one (to more easily kill the other queens while they are still within the cells).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Did my very first attempt at breeding queens this weekend. drat, I really need this magnifying thingy with a light you put on. Moving the larva to the queen cells is loving hard.... (guess I simply need more training, but I only had like eight artifical queen cells, and I killed at least two or three larva while trying to "gently" remove them from their cells, plus remembring where "up" was so they don't suffocate in the artificial queen cell....I need more training.

But it actually looks like it worked, all eight cells are already cared about by worker bees and seem to be in good shape. I can only hope they turned that one larva around which I fear I placed upside down in the cell....

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Seems like my attempt wasn't a complete failure. Six of the eight queen cells I created are still cared for. I'll only have use for three, maybe four (depends on what the first split does, will look into that tomorrow) queens at first.

So I guess I'll raise the other two in the small boxes you put them in to get them mated to drones (what's the propper english term for that?). How early should I prepare them? My plan is to give each of them six small top-bars, dipped in wax, and about three handfull of bees about two or three days before the queens hatch (plus some food of course), and then put the queens in the day before they should hatch. My plan is to do another round of queen breeding for summer, but I'd like to try to get these over a couple of weeks when I have enough bee mass again to create two new splits again for them.

Any fundamental flaws in that plan?

tuo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 25, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

Supposed to be picking up a nuc today to combine with my queenless package. Hope they don't kill her again...

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
I'm moving a beehive tomorrow night, but I'm a bit worried that it might not take because it's only being moved a little less than two miles from its previous location. I've heard about piling twigs, leaves, and other debris around the hives entrance in order to trick bees into acclimating to their new environment, but is there anything else I can do?

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -