Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mods pls rename me 750cc ball crusher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My sister claims that she found it more comfortable to ride on the back of my brother in-law's Ducati than his Harley or BMW, I forget her reasoning. My wife on the Daytona isn't too bad, my 6'2" roided out beast of a friend on the back was terrifying, though we were ~50lbs over the weight limit. RaceTech claims the Daytona comes with way too stiff a rear spring from the factory which probably helped a bit, but I'm not an expert on these things.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I appreciate all of the feedback. The used motorcycle market in San Diego is pretty overinflated since we ride year round down here. A 15-20 year old Harley with 40,000-60,000 miles is averaging out to be listed for $10,000-$12,000 on Craigslist. I would suck it up and spend 18k and get an Indian Dark Horse or an Adventure touring bike before I'd drop that much on an old rear end Harley. I thought about the Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster too but I don't know if that has enough power to do more than short hops around town with someone on the back.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I appreciate all of the feedback. The used motorcycle market in San Diego is pretty overinflated since we ride year round down here. A 15-20 year old Harley with 40,000-60,000 miles is averaging out to be listed for $10,000-$12,000 on Craigslist. I would suck it up and spend 18k and get an Indian Dark Horse or an Adventure touring bike before I'd drop that much on an old rear end Harley. I thought about the Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster too but I don't know if that has enough power to do more than short hops around town with someone on the back.

1. Good Lord that's terrible pricing

2. The dark horse kind of sucks at everything besides looking cool

3. 'enough' power is like 60hp. Good brakes, comfortable seating, suspension capable of dealing with two people's worth of weight are much, much more important. Most Japanese bikes are undersprung (for good reasons that don't include Honda being dumb, Japanese test riders being small or racism) and are resultantly terrible to ride 2up from factory. Imo in your case you should buy a cheap bike you like with comfortable pillion seating, then spend a few hundred on some heavier springs. I don't know where the speed master falls into this but being a Triumph probably has shocks made for gammons and might be pretty decent.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

What about one of the new water-cooled t100s? The honest review of the Bonneville guy likes it and it's got a bench seat for 2up riding

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Most Japanese bikes are undersprung (for good reasons that don't include Honda being dumb, Japanese test riders being small or racism) and are resultantly terrible to ride 2up from factory. Imo in your case you should buy a cheap bike you like with comfortable pillion seating, then spend a few hundred on some heavier springs. I don't know where the speed master falls into this but being a Triumph probably has shocks made for gammons and might be pretty decent.

My FZ-6 is just fine 2-up.

Not with a 250lb pillion though, the front wheel would barely stay on the ground.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

ADINSX posted:

What about one of the new water-cooled t100s? The honest review of the Bonneville guy likes it and it's got a bench seat for 2up riding

That's a really good suggestion

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Elviscat posted:

My FZ-6 is just fine 2-up.

Not with a 250lb pillion though, the front wheel would barely stay on the ground.

that's a huge bitch

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

He was test- riding the bike I was selling him, and the r/r poo poo itself, so I was obliged to transport him home. I was pissed and using the throttle as an on-off switch which contributed to the front end lightness.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
What about a cheap old R1100GS? Really, any of the big ADV bikes should be comfortable and relatively cheap and able to handle two up OK. Really just my opinion, but adv bikes are like the new touring bikes, they're just advertised with gravel roads through the mountains and Chris Birch letting you believe you might ride an enduro on one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpCubYprqFQ

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slavvy posted:

<genius selling tips>

I would absolutely adore some notes on how to buy a Craigslist bike in similar style. What stupid poo poo not to do, how to progress the conversation/etc without being suckered, etc etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

I would absolutely adore some notes on how to buy a Craigslist bike in similar style. What stupid poo poo not to do, how to progress the conversation/etc without being suckered, etc etc.

Buying IMO is a lot simpler. You just imagine yourself as the seller, then think of all the absurd retarded poo poo buyers do when you're trying to sell a vehicle, then just don't do those things.

Stuff that immediately flags you as a fuckhead timewaster with no intention of ever buying the bike:

Talking price before seeing the bike, especially over SMS.

Asking about the condition/problems etc, especially over SMS.

Basically any text message that doesn't pertain to organising to come and look at the bike is a waste of both your time and probably means you're a fuckhead. You want to make poo poo as convenient and painless for the seller as possible so they'll be nicer to you in negotiations. Nobody wants to spend half an hour talking poo poo on the phone just because someone might want to come and look at the bike, you save your energy for people who actually turn up and have money.

Bought for $5400, sold a year later with some new tyres for $7,000

BRING A WINGMAN/WOMAN. Always. If you don't know poo poo about bikes, bring your mechanic mate and distract the seller with smalltalk while he crawls all over the bike. If you know poo poo about bikes, bring your mate who can make friends with anyone and have him butter them up while you crawl all over the bike.

Once you're actually looking at the bike, immediately look at the tyres and chain and sprockets. Nine times out of ten both are hosed (it's a bargain, right?) and it's a good way to drag the price down as it's more cost standing between you and riding the bike. Conversely, any work/accessories they've had done are effectively worthless, most sellers know this and are just trying to get lucky by adding them into the price; ultimately the bike is worth a certain amount of money in their mind and most people realise adding up all the receipts is absurd. A pile of workshop invoices don't make a $3000 bike worth $5000; taking the $3,000 yoshimura off of a $10,000 bike doesn't make that bike worth 7 grand.

In general, my advice is to assume the bike will need a clean sweep of maintenance. Lets say your budget is 6k: the dumb fucker thing to do is find the biggest fastest bestest bike you can get for six grand and buy that. The smart thing to do is to find an absolutely immaculate example of a more modest machine for like $4,500 and leave yourself the extra dosh to spend on tyres + chain + service + modifications so you don't find yourself in strife six months later.

1980, 100cc, $600, 4,400km

Likewise, look for crash damage. Look at stuff closely. Don't be standing back and gushing about how shiny it is, that's how suckers are made. Look at the points of contact with the ground if the bike were to fall over. Typically people fix the expensive obvious stuff like fairings, tanks etc but not the smaller functional poo poo - grazed lever, bar and peg ends are a dead giveaway, as are dinged radiators and scuffed mirrors on naked bikes. Look for scrapes on the side covers, on the axle bolts, stuff that isn't visible from six feet away. On faired bikes look for mismatched colours/decals/textures, not-quite-right panel gaps, missing screws/brackets. If something isn't quite right, ask yourself why it's like that, what reason they had to take the bike apart in that area. Naturally the acceptable amount of here-and-there scuffs is tied to age, value and use. If you're looking at a blingy late model ADV with all the farkles, it's fair and reasonable to anally search for every little imperfection; if it's an XR250 worth $1500, pointing out every little scratch just makes you a painful oval office. In general, big crashes are hard to spot because they tend to be fixed by insurance (so all the broken/missing poo poo is buried where you can't see it) while low speed whoopsies are often not fixed at all.

Swapped for an SV650, sold for a lot more than an SV650 is worth

If your expectation and the seller's expectation are close, at that point you have to persuade the person that some money now is better than a potential slightly greater amount of money from the next person along. Where you land on this depends on how badly they need the cash, how much they like/hate the bike, how popular the model is and how many people have already looked at it/expressed interest. The latter can be found out by some careful smalltalk and gives you a lot of leverage.

In general, big wads of cash are more persuasive than numbers in an account on a screen, numbers on a screen are more persuasive than 'I totally have the funds bro'. IMO asking for a test ride without proof of funds is extremely rude and immediately sets me against you; turning up without any money or means of paying at all makes you a time waster, reflect the choices that led you to such depravity. If you actually want the bike, being able to pay HERE and NOW with CASH is hugely persuasive. Most sellers just want to get their loving money and spend it on whatever and won't think holding out for an extra few hundred bucks is worth the agony, especially if they've already dealt with the usual train of chucklefucks. Again, just like with selling, never talk price first. The first person to mention a number usually loses, as that number will always be the starting point of negotiations.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Slavvy, your a savvy cool dude.

Thank you

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

In general, my advice is to assume the bike will need a clean sweep of maintenance. Lets say your budget is 6k: the dumb fucker thing to do is find the biggest fastest bestest bike you can get for six grand and buy that. The smart thing to do is to find an absolutely immaculate example of a more modest machine for like $4,500 and leave yourself the extra dosh to spend on tyres + chain + service + modifications so you don't find yourself in strife six months later.

Another option: buy a tired, multiple previous owners, fallen over a few times, but mechanically sound version of the $6000 big fast best bike for $4500 and then never worry about where you park it or if it gets a scratch on it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 4, 2020

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Someone talk me out of this

https://maine.craigslist.org/mcd/d/north-turner-2018-suzuki-dr-400sm-dual/6860365812.html

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So far into bad it's good again. Do it, ride like a king.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

It looks dumb as gently caress and drz400s suck compared to spending a tiny bit more for a ktm or husky

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a really good price for a low mile SM too

Edit: if you can find me a 2018 KTM or Husqvarna supermoto for "a little bit more" than 5k I will give you a finder's fee.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 2, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Only worthwhile if you have enough money to bore it out so you can outrun the crowd of people who will be pointing and laughing. The good news is some flathead will steal and destroy it within a week

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

It looks dumb as gently caress and drz400s suck compared to spending a tiny bit more for a ktm or husky

Drz's will still be loving everywhere long after every 690/701 has shat itself, which is a selling point unto itself.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://i.imgur.com/rDJWv5E.mp4

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The thing about DRZs... they can make plastics and graphics to bring the bike Into the 2000s but the headlight always looks like it was pulled off a 1984 chevette.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

That looks dope as gently caress and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

puberty worked me over posted:

Speaking of fucky buyers I am simply shocked at the amount of prospective buyers who disappear the second I mention they can look at the bike at the parking lot next to our local police station :allears:

I always noticed this too, but never made the connection to their disappearance until you mentioned it. It always seemed like a nice thing to do for them since they don't know me and are bringing money. :sigh:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Is there any actual new 2018 tech on drzs? Are they even fuel injected yet?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Carth Dookie posted:

Only worthwhile if you have enough money to bore it out so you can outrun the crowd of people who will be pointing and laughing. The good news is some flathead will steal and destroy it within a week

It’s in Turner, Maine. No one’s stealing anything.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

no, they would have to recertify the cat or somethign if they made any material changes. you just get different colors every year

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ought ten posted:

Someone talk me out of this

No

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Bold New Graphics.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I was gonna say buy my 701 and then I saw I already tried

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

moxieman posted:

It’s in Turner, Maine. No one’s stealing anything.

I'm so sorry. :(

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

So far into bad it's good again. Do it, ride like a king.

Thank you.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I'm sorry buddy. You know I wish I could buy your 701 just as much as you do.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/d/littleton-2015-ktm-500xcw-supermotard/6867255517.html No?

What’re you buying this for again?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Nope, which is part of what makes them great

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Slavvy posted:

<more amazing info>

This is basically all in line with what I'm thinking, thank you. This is actually for my 2nd bike (looking at a clean but heavily farkled FZ1 this weekend), so I know the points about wear items, don't gush over shiny - they're all loving shiny, yo - hold off on price chat, and have a wad of $100s in my hand but don't hand over more than I want just to get it NOWWWW. I'm going on a week long business trip next week anyways, so I very well may just make them sweat a bit after I go look and present bucks for viewing - evidently I've been the first interested party in >30 days of the ad being up, and they seem thirsty to have me come look at it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

This is basically all in line with what I'm thinking, thank you. This is actually for my 2nd bike (looking at a clean but heavily farkled FZ1 this weekend), so I know the points about wear items, don't gush over shiny - they're all loving shiny, yo - hold off on price chat, and have a wad of $100s in my hand but don't hand over more than I want just to get it NOWWWW. I'm going on a week long business trip next week anyways, so I very well may just make them sweat a bit after I go look and present bucks for viewing - evidently I've been the first interested party in >30 days of the ad being up, and they seem thirsty to have me come look at it.

If that's the case, and the bike is acceptable to you, I'd suggest giving them a fairly low offer right up front the day you look at it. You'll be amazed what you can get away with if the seller hasn't had many bites; at worst they say no and you go away, nobody else looks at the bike and your initial offer ends up being the psychological starting point so you get a good price later anyway.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

puberty worked me over posted:

What (if anything) do you hold as collateral while people test ride the bike you're selling?

cash price