Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjjjjj/actual_footage_of_the_writers_after_episode_3/

wont let me just link the vid directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Bran warged so the ravens could hold the cameras for the sick dragon shots. The maesters will pay him a fortune for the footage, and because of him, we get the sweet tv show we have today.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PupsOfWar posted:

I'll give you that the jeyne situation was totally avoidable
but Robb's war effort was basically doomed once the Lannister-Tyrell alliance formed.

Yeah Robb is destined to be hosed over Roose is out there deliberately putting forces loyal to Robb on the front line way before Robb even meets Jeyne. And Walder Frey is always going to pick a winning side.

Robb and Catelyn do make a dumb more in terms of marriages though. Instead of of marrying Edmure to Rosalin because Walder is still mad about Holster Tully turning down a match with Edmure and one of his daughters earlier. They give him Robb's hand in marriage (he's the king ffs why that should've been a Manderly or a Blackwood) Edmure's and Arya's (she's the princess and a great match for one of your Northern Lords) because they're panicking

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Sansa could make up new rules at this point. If we are to believe the show "ends up" at the same place as the books, then Dany unintentionally bringing Dornish ideals to Westeros is a real thing, because by the end in the show we've got a female ruler each key power hold for a Game of Matriarchs. Even Doran was depicted as a useless surrogate to appease Westeros custom and remain part of the 7 kingdoms, to be removed when the time is right. Jon Targaryen is just a monkeywrench in the whole thing by the time we learn his origin, mildly annoying Dany that he would even mention it.

There's no need you can already have a woman marry a dude and he takes on her name legally it happens to the Lannisters most recently. But yeah expect iheritage rights to change by the end due to the sheer amount of dead noblemen/alive noblewomen

Sephyr posted:

Ehh, even in the books that's a chancy take. The Lannisters basically already crushed any viable opposition in their turf, while Starks have the Boltons, Karstarks and Barrowtown all spitting on them, and the loyal ones have all been ground to paste, except for White Harbor. Not saying they won't go for some Deus ex Machina ("See, the mountain clans and the Reeds are here now!"), but it's going to be weird.

And since two beloved characters from the books are Lannisters, I doubt they'll be hit -that- hard in the never-coming next book. I'll lay -my- money on the story taking it all out on Cersei.

People don't actually like Roose and the Lady from Barrowtown is trying to play both sides she'll flip and say she was always helping

It's obvious characters lived so they could pull Euron and the Sands Snakes part 2 electric boogaloo now with characters you like (book Sands Snakes were so cool and interesting philosophy wise :( )

chaosapiant posted:

Savage af.

What was Jojen and Meeras dad’s name? The bad rear end shortman who knows who Jon’s parents are? I can’t remember, but he’s going to be awesome when he arrives in the books!

What books?

SirKibbles fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 2, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If you're linking that video, I feel obligated to link this one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/bjg0o7/hitler_is_also_pissed_about_episode_3/

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Man, how did HBO and Rose Leslie not sue the poo poo out of Horizon Zero Dawn for blatantly stealing her everything?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmbo this one and the hitler meme get me every time, glad to see the episode has been added to the pantheon of versions

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Man, how did HBO and Rose Leslie not sue the poo poo out of Horizon Zero Dawn for blatantly stealing her everything?

The same way Ellen Paige didn't sue the poo poo out of The Last of Us for Ellie.

esperterra posted:

lmbo this one and the hitler meme get me every time, glad to see the episode has been added to the pantheon of versions

Hilter.....is.....right :confused:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I thought the White Walkers would make it to the Riverlands, AT LEAST, lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

SirKibbles posted:

The same way Ellen Paige didn't sue the poo poo out of The Last of Us for Ellie.

She did, though.

That's why the Ellie in the game doesn't look like her.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

esperterra posted:

The real sin of them cutting out the Tysha conversation before Tyrion fucks off to kill Tywin

Eh, that change I kinda understand. Tyrion was already at his very lowest rung there, and piling that extra bomb on top, after such a great emotional scene as his trial, would have crossed into melodrama.

I agree it leaves a gap in the future row between the brothers, butas far a tempo and dramstic wright goes, it would have been overkill.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tyrion only wants to kill Tywin in the book b/c of the Tysha thing. For me the show lacked any real push for him to go up to the tower with murder in mind.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

esperterra posted:

Tyrion only wants to kill Tywin in the book b/c of the Tysha thing. For me the show lacked any real push for him to go up to the tower with murder in mind.

There was also the whole framing him for murder thing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah there was Tysha, constant hatred and humiliation, THEN dad tried to kill him when he knew he was innocent.

That's good enough for me.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I always felt like the other stuff, while obviously a big part of his misery at the time, was poo poo he just expected and was used to from Tywin. Something he was fine leaving behind. Tysha was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

It's a nitpick tho rly and the scene was still good other than Shae becoming a self defense murder lol

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

esperterra posted:

Assuming his behavior when he shows up before the battle (I can't remember the one, but the one where he shows up with the moon clans) where he treats him like poo poo and deliberately puts his life in danger is indicative of his life, it's been been a slow burn of abuse. We can sort of at least infer there's some reason he's a drunken whoremonger.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In the books, I don't think GRRM would go for it, but the show is definitely woke enough that if there was any real risk of the Stark family dying out because of no male heirs, they'd do some royal decree poo poo to make it so females are equally valid heirs so Sansa can pass on the name and rule the north.

And you'll get people doing hot takes that that's somehow really forward and just what message needs sending in 2019 instead of being really just par for the course in the media of 2019 (which is a good thing).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In the books, I don't think GRRM would go for it, but the show is definitely woke enough that if there was any real risk of the Stark family dying out because of no male heirs, they'd do some royal decree poo poo to make it so females are equally valid heirs so Sansa can pass on the name and rule the north.

And you'll get people doing hot takes that that's somehow really forward and just what message needs sending in 2019 instead of being really just par for the course in the media of 2019 (which is a good thing).

Why wouldn't he, Dorne isn't patrilineal. GRRM seems relatively "woke" to me. I mean he's 70.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
mance tells Jon a story about the only child of a stark king being a daughter and her son is raised and named stark to continue the line

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's pretty into keeping the laws and the internal logic of the world, and his north is really stuck in their ways. Maybe he would, it's just something I think the show would happily do and GRRM would be more reluctant to.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Someone in this thread made an offhand comment about the books having to pull new antagonists out of their rear end and suggested "Jimmy Lannister" might rise to prominence. My brain decided this was worth saving so now I think of Jimmy Lannister whenever the show has to come up with a bad guy.

bigger jamie lannister

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean, when I started reading the books I thought Jaime was just a nickname and is full name was James Lannister, so it’s not that off base.

E: Jimmy Lannister sounds like a dude who owns a pickup truck.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Um Jammer Lannister has all the makings of a final boss

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jimmy the Lann sounds like a Feist character

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Robert "Buck" Baratheon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when I was reading the books I thought the e in Jaime was silent

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
King Bobby and his kingsguard Barry and Jimbo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Ballad of Bobby B and Kelly C

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

esperterra posted:

It's a nitpick tho rly and the scene was still good other than Shae becoming a self defense murder lol

on the one hand, them avoiding tyrion's dark downward spiral into being a murderer, rapist and abuser, as in the books, has some pretty significant thematic ramifications

on the other hand, im always cool with not watching someone strangle a teen girl to death out of raw spite

at that point they could probably just have not had shae die though

its there in the books because it's the rubicon for tyrion becoming loving awful
you can't like tyrion after that, its your indicator that your ol' pal tyrion is now poo poo

the show however does not seem to have this goal in mind
so why

Let Shae Live, hollywood

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 2, 2019

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

on the one hand, them avoiding tyrion's dark downward spiral into being a murderer, rapist and abuser, as in the books, has some pretty significant thematic ramifications

on the other hand, im always cool with not watching someone strangle a teen girl to death out of raw spite

at that point they could probably just have not had shae die though
its there in the books because it's the rubicon for him becoming loving awful
if he is not gonna become loving awful, why must she be slain

Let Shae Live, hollywood

I thought it was somewhat justified, when Tyrion - probably unwisely - somewhat trusted her and she betrayed him and then found her in her father's bed - of all people. No wonder he became enraged.

It's been a while since I read Dance (waiting for the hardcover localized version to come out) but is he really in such a bad spot in the books? I thought he was doing pretty well on his journey with JonCon and the crew and is negotiating with Ben at the moment.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i mean it's not as if shae likely had any choice in the matter
if the hand of the king (a man known for brutally torturing or executing people like her) tells her say stuff in court and then get in his bed, or else, she can't realistically say no

tyrion obviously wasn't thinking this through, but let's not just casually adopt the "she betrayed him" language when we know shae has no power or support that would allow her to resist pressure from tywin and cersei.

anyway, in ADWD tyrion becomes a rapist while staying with illyrio

hes also pretty clear that he only wants to help daenerys (or in fact do anything) so he can revenge-murder his remaining relatives, rather than out of any pseudo-altruistic purpose as he intimates in the show

he'll still help people out occasionally, but it's in the sort of lurching, unpredictable way that you get with, say, the Hound

hes a worse, more hosed up dude in the books for sure

the show consciously steered away from all that, presumably realizing it'd be a bad move in terms of audience engagement to have one of the most popular characters become this dangerous wreck that hurts everyone around him

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 2, 2019

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TeaJay posted:

I thought it was somewhat justified, when Tyrion - probably unwisely - somewhat trusted her and she betrayed him and then found her in her father's bed - of all people. No wonder he became enraged.

It's been a while since I read Dance (waiting for the hardcover localized version to come out) but is he really in such a bad spot in the books? I thought he was doing pretty well on his journey with JonCon and the crew and is negotiating with Ben at the moment.

you mean rambling endlessly about where whores go? It's like he broke his loving mind. oh poo poo penny the pig. how could I forget loving that riverboat slave poo poo storyline. goddamn that book is loving trash.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Pretty sure Tyrion became a rapist when he joined in on the gang-rape of his first wife years before the first book. But it's OK because he thought she was a gold-digger.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How has noone broken into GRRMs house yet and stolen his commador 64 or w/e the gently caress he writes this poo poo on.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They probably have, there was just nothing on it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

what if grrm has actually finished winds twice but he keeps losing the floppies he must be saving it on

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

PupsOfWar posted:

anyway, in ADWD tyrion becomes a rapist while staying with illyrio

hes also pretty clear that he only wants to help daenerys (or in fact do anything) so he can revenge-murder his remaining relatives, rather than out of any pseudo-altruistic purpose as he intimates in the show

he'll still help people out occasionally, but it's in the sort of lurching, unpredictable way that you get with, say, the Hound

hes a worse, more hosed up dude in the books for sure

the show consciously steered away from all that, presumably realizing it'd be a bad move in terms of audience engagement to have one of the most popular characters become this dangerous wreck that hurts everyone around him

he also gets off at owning like a 13 year old at chess and feels super smug when he throws a tantrum like a 13 year old would.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Pretty sure Tyrion became a rapist when he joined in on the gang-rape of his first wife years before the first book. But it's OK because he thought she was a gold-digger.

Wasn’t that at swordpoint?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Status of Sir Pounce?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cheetah7071 posted:

when I was reading the books I thought the e in Jaime was silent

*raises mug*
l'jaim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought it was supposed to be pronounced like in Spanish for a while when reading.