Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Turn 38

OK!

First off Thaumaturgy 5, home of the soul slay.

This dude can now make +1s booster crystal coins with boosters.

Perpetual Storm is up!

Phaecia pings a coastal throne. He has plans! Well, had.

I push into the sea, kicking out some Ctis dudes.

That random stack of trash kicks us off the TC cap zone land. I THE LAND SUCKS NOW ANYWAY I DON'T CARE!

But now! PHAECIA!

He has noone patrolling right now so it is just cap PD. Their cap PD is not intimidating.

And I kind of brought a lot of water elementals.

So this feels like overkill.

All those floating numbers used to be Phaecians but then someone cast acid rain RIP.

It is overwhelming. One fatality. Imagine being that one loser.

Jotunheim is finally slain. RIP to a real one.

I am pretty sure this requires a TC unit that we do not have.

Uh... ok this is in the province I just took from C'tis.

gubbermint

Free gems. I never get tired of ravines.

Marignon went AI huh sounds like they killed Ulms god though?

quote:

how are u
wait he killed Ulm's god and then went AI?
i guess his work was finished
andyway RIP ilm god

Ramc
what was his god

Ari
? I killed Ulm's god like 10 turns ago
Though admittedly Ulm might have rezzed it
@Ramc Teleporting Monolith with 40 port

Teleporting monolith absolute legend.

Overview.

I am collecting the survivors from getting kicked off that fort and I am bringing them back to Pelagia. Phaecia stormed that TC fort so good for them now they have a home away from home.

Isolation! We will see if he can muster a force to kick me off. His god is in there and probably a pile of orichalcum guards and wizards so maaaaaaybe depending on research and paths. We'll see what he tries as we work on the walls.

We have eyes on another throne and we also see Phaecia has some UW stuff over here.

Overview. We are continuing to kick C'tis out of undersea. Oh hey they have a costal throne fort too that must be Creation that is GOOD TO KNOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
this turn through the extremely powerful diplomacy of saying "hey give me your stuff before you die" i was given a big pile of gems by jotunhams

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The real question now is would Sea of Ice (that stops people walking into the water from the surface and vice versa) be good for you or bad for you?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gonadic io posted:

The real question now is would Sea of Ice (that stops people walking into the water from the surface and vice versa) be good for you or bad for you?

It'd keep him safe for a while but also render him unable to win, as I don't think there's enough available underwater Thrones.

OTOH since it'd keep his own lands safe from outright attack there'd be no really effective way to stop him from amassing a terrible zerg rush to unleash the turn he got the global dispelled, so...

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There should really be a global to boil away the seas and let land units just straight up invade.

Of course, if the global gets dispelled then they all die instantly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pharnakes posted:

There should really be a global to boil away the seas and let land units just straight up invade.

Thetis' Blessing gives every single unit in the world water breathing.

And of course, all units that gained water breathing and went underwater immediately drown if the global is dispelled.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pharnakes posted:

There's a global that allows everyone to breathe underwater and lets land units just straight up invade.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Ramc, around how much research per turn were you pulling in around this time?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

my dad posted:

There's a global that allows everyone to breathe underwater and lets land units just straight up invade.

That's not nearly as thematically badass though. :colbert:

Plus it doesn't kill all the aquatic units first and presumably keeps rusting and other penalties for land units underwater.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

That's not nearly as thematically badass though. :colbert:

Plus it doesn't kill all the aquatic units first and presumably keeps rusting and other penalties for land units underwater.

One of the bigger Dom magic mods has a spell called "Acid Seas". Requires like 7 water 5 fire paths or something. It is quite a gently caress you spell. Sets income to zero for seas and coastals, popkills and randomly diseases sea units. Horrifically unbalanced in a game about unbalance, but drat it felt good to watch those sea Nations thrash and the slowly stop moving.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Hot dropping your supposedly immobile pretender into places is always fun as long as they don’t die

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

:suicide:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

:hmmyes:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
"

The thing I love about Dominions is how clearly it illustrates "the enemy gets a vote." There's only a couple of other games I can think of where your own plans can go so dramatically off-script if you gently caress up something tiny, or where your entire strategy can be blown up if you overlook something in your estimates about what the opponents' capabilities are.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but what was it like getting that turn report?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Notahippie posted:

Not to rub salt in the wound, but what was it like getting that turn report?

Very aggravating. Perp storm is not a global I have seen cast in many games, I was not planning for it. That said: we are now under siege in our capitol where just a few turns ago we sent most of our Orichalcum Guard sailing across the sea to beat up China. We have maybe 20-25 Orichalcum Guard and 10-15 Gigantes spartans to defend the fort, so the first order of business is summoning some chaff to slow down the siege and buy us time to think this out.

Help isn't coming, the island of Phaecia is on its own.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Newbie question: can you survive after your capital is captured ?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

TacoNight posted:

You survive until one of three things happen: you own zero provinces, zero provinces in the world have any candles of your dominion, or someone else fulfills whatever victory conditions are set up ahead of time.

Since Phaecia still has candles and still owns provinces even if their capital gets ganked here, they'll be able to keep going. However, it'll be rough because capitals are the richest provinces in the game in terms of both gold and gems, and they are also the only place you can recruit your best commanders and troops (usually). Losing your capital isn't fatal but it hurts.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TacoNight posted:

Yes, but most nations can recruit their very best troops and commanders/mages only in their capital. Also, capitals generate a lot of gems and gold. Losing your capital is a huge blow, and regaining it is a big priority.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

TravelLog posted:

Ramc, around how much research per turn were you pulling in around this time?

I don't remember numbers but I would say a moderate to high amount. C'tis probably had a lot more than me though. I have lots of researchers but did not have the fire gem income to make lightless lanterns and my air income was for the storm, not quills.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Yes, but most nations can recruit their very best troops and commanders/mages only in their capital.

Which also means that taking capitals is often a good way to wipe out a bunch of good mages in one big fight, and those losses are a lot harder to bounce back from. They can reconquer their capital and get all the income back, but replacing mage losses is way harder.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, each capital only mage is 1-2 turns of recruitment by itself, and if your god gets killed (immobile or was just caught in the capital and can't teleport out), you either have to waste a bunch of priest turns (which may also be mage turns depending on your nation and indie access) to get back a god with less magic than it started with or go the rest of the game without your god. Capitals are very much the basket with many of your eggs in it. Not all your eggs unless it's super early, but a large proportion of them.

Unless you're MA Ermor, then it really doesn't matter since as long as you still have a single D2 mage somewhere you can get all your mages back in short order and really your god is more of a figurehead or early expansion helper than anything else.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Straight White Shark posted:

Which also means that taking capitals is often a good way to wipe out a bunch of good mages in one big fight, and those losses are a lot harder to bounce back from. They can reconquer their capital and get all the income back, but replacing mage losses is way harder.

It also means you're going to be running into a lot of cap mages when you storm the fort. You usually have to be ready to protect against serious battle magic.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 39

Whew.

Conjuration 6 - home of the bishop fish and a key part of our victory push plans.

There are some ok buffs here.

+1 air gem. It floats.

+2 water spell ritual range. Famously almost useless.

A new prophet for Ulm and I don't think he renamed it.

Phaecia takes some of my TC land zone holdings and I won't fight it for now. MAKE YOURSELVES AT HOME ITS A LONG WALK BACK TO PHAECIA

Attacking into that other Ctis UW province here.

Not a lo- oh hey whats that in the back.

Look at this handsome fellow! Lets take a closer look.

He has some nifty weapons. That greater fear lash could be trouble.

Also he is holding one or more of Ctis' globals! Mother Oak and/or Wild Hunt. Normally if you kill a global holder, the spell falls. In this case he is an immortal though. If he is killed he will revive back in his home province in a few months, global untouched. Still.

He buffs with quicken self and regen and then uh it turns out he is tanky as heck my dudes can't get the hits in enough and he doesn't seem to eat a stun what the heck...

We manage to tag him with a chest wound but the fear proves too much.

:argh: cowards!!

Elsewhere more indies fall.

Oh hello! An Ulm vs Phelegra fight! Ulm has a cool line setup with some dudes screening his wizards.

Phelgra looks a bit more chaotic but there are a lot of wizards back there too... and hey why is that guy up front on fire?

We got a thuuuuuuuug :getin:

He has a frost brand and a shield that grants him the fire shield around him and some other misc good stuff but lol I love him look at him.

I love this hat. It shoots a lightning bolt every turn.

As the first wave of projectiles flies Phlegra earthquakes the map dealing damage to all and sundry. The hard rain falls but it isn't... that bad? Wait what is that
shade of blue tint on the slave troops? :holds hand to earpiece: we are getting reports that...

bad news for ulm

Projectiles pour but only 1 in 5 do any damage when they hit as Air Shield provides an 80% chance to null them so uh

The helotes catch up and start shredding the line.

And the smiths nope out.

That oppressor earthquake had 60 kills and they were probably mostly his own dudes so you gotta respect the ruthlessness.

Elsewhere AI Marignon trash hits 1 PD so whatever.

In the prov where the big dustup happened Phelgra, unrepulsed by Ulm, storms the fortress-

the thug <3

A.... block of leaderless troops.

Yeah that's pretty much how it was gonna be.

I start to clear that island south of the Throne of Splendor.

Events are, uh, not off to a great start.

:capitalism:

I'll try not to think less of him.

Overview. Phaecia hasn't tried to kick me off yet but I got some work to go to break the gate.

I kit out a s2 pearl mage to mind hunt with one of those eyes of the void from the beach. He is going to try to zorch that saurowraith. Normally- as I said- if an immortal is killed he revives in his home province in a few turns and keeps the global besides, but recently the game was changed so soul slay (the spell mind hunt casts remotely if you have thaum 5) super kills immortals so here is hoping.

My god made one of these to pass around because old age is kicking our asses and giving lots of dudes Disease. Elderly units make a check every winter to see if they get an affliction, including disease.

Overview. I am assing some water elemental casters for the saurowraith in case. I am also moving more stuff onto Phaecia. We are summoning a bishop fish on the south throne for Later Use. I hope the surfacers are getting used to the new normal in weather.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This feels like the first time anyone's actually fought back meaningfully.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

should be noted that saurowraith lords are a mod only thing. in this game we are playing with a mod called spilt, which is a variation of silt, which stands for strategic immortal limitation treaty. the mod makes the spells which in vanilla summon an immortal commander instead transform a mage into that immortal chassis, which lets you have immortals with different paths but removes the ability to have one mage poo poo out an ever increasing pile of them.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

also those items came with all of jotunhams gems and gold that they gave me after their tree died

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So that's it for Phaecia? Even if they dispel Perpetual Storm this turn, the walls of it's capital will be breached once the turn rolls over. Then Ramc will storm the fort and kill everything in it, and then Phaecia's armies will lay siege to the just stormed fort. It will be cold comfort for Phaecia, since they will have lost a lot of hard to replace mages, and maybe even their pretender.

violent sex idiot posted:

also those items came with all of jotunhams gems and gold that they gave me after their tree died

I was about to ask where C'tis got the item that requires blood to forge.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
ctis is a cool nation gotta love nature necromancer lizard folks

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

:hmmyes:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Torrannor posted:

So that's it for Phaecia? Even if they dispel Perpetual Storm this turn, the walls of it's capital will be breached once the turn rolls over. Then Ramc will storm the fort and kill everything in it, and then Phaecia's armies will lay siege to the just stormed fort. It will be cold comfort for Phaecia, since they will have lost a lot of hard to replace mages, and maybe even their pretender.

I was about to ask where C'tis got the item that requires blood to forge.

Even if Ramc does break the walls next turn that definitely doesn't mean he can just waltz in there. I mean HowAreU is kind of implying that's exactly what happens but its hardly a given, if he's done the right battlemagic research he ought to be able to give as good as he gets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This game reminds me a lot of Talisman in terms of broken and spiteful dicking with people, I love it

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
okay so

it should be said that ramc has a slight little teensy weensy history with the spell "perpetual storm", dating all the way back to the halcyon days of dominions 4

of course, what that history is? none remain now who know...........

and who cast it that game? jbrereton?

pretty sure it was jbrereton.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Phaecia

With my big dumb mageless army in China properly stuck there I decide to use them to at least rampage around and take all of Pelagia's newly acquired territories. I'm also going to start brainstorming ways to get guys under the water for real. It looks like that, if I survive, I'm going to have to be able to project power underwater if I ever want to have peace so I can get around to taking Thrones!

e: That's not very hilarious for me!! vvvvv :argh:

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 2, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Let's just imagine the most hilarious scenario possible: Perpetual Storm gets dispelled the turn Ramc storms Phaecia's capital. Where all those Air 2 casters that Phaecia has are scripted to cast Summon Storm Power, giving them +1 Air if there's a storm over the battlefield. That will fizzle because Perpetual Storm has been dispelled. Then the mages were scripted to cast Thunder Strike for the next 4 turns, which requires the caster to be an Air 3 mage. Since they couldn't empower themselves to Air 3, this won't work and the scripting will go haywire, resulting in an easy win by Ramc's forces.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Out of curiosity what about the game makes it take weeks/months to play? Is it play by email only? Are the turns just that complex to sort out?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

Out of curiosity what about the game makes it take weeks/months to play? Is it play by email only? Are the turns just that complex to sort out?

Yeah, its only PBEM. Also turns can start being an hours long slog in the late game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

If you make it into the 30+ turns you'll probably end up spending 20-40 minutes on each turn, yep. It's a lot to ask for 8-10 people to coordinate schedules to do live play with a time commitment like that, so it's easier to do a turn every one or two days and more easily schedule the game into your life.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

RBA Starblade posted:

There's also a *ton* of diplomacy happening in the background, and you need time between turns for the backroom deals to be sorted out.

IIRC the Discord Crew does periodically run live games where everyone's online, but mostly it's PBEM once daily (with turn timers often being extended to 48 hours come lategame, where turns can start taking no-poo poo hours to complete)

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 2, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Eriu

We try to forge and stockpile magic stuff, but the work is slow going because every once in a while, some dumbass Elf noble walks into the forges and steals some random poo poo, mumbling something about "proper outfitting for our hunt"

What the hell is up with those guys? What hunt?? You're supposed to fight on the battlefields for our God, you chucklefucks! Is that alcohol I'm smelling? You guys are drunk, aren't you!

Elves are the worst. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

RBA Starblade posted:

Just for clarity’s sake, you can do a direct connection blitz game, but god help you when multiple players start watching battles. The only sop to your sanity is the new turn sound when the turn posts. I hope you didn’t turn off those classy dom5 sounds.