Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

CLEGANE BOWL GET HYPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still lowkey think Brienne and Jaime will be the ones to fight Gregor in the books. Bran's vision is of a hound faced figure and a golden armoured figure facing off against a giant with no face. Brienne has possession of Sandor's helm and Jaime would obvs be the golden sun boi

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Sandor and Gregor are going to get within 50ft of each other, look at each other and the one of the dragons will strafe Gregor denying us Cleganebowl.

It is known.

Sandor will just shrug and walk off screen, and the camera will pan to show him just walking through the film crew telling the production cunts to gently caress off.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

When King Stannis Baratheon of Dragonstone sits the Iron Throne, he will make the :siren:CLEGANEBOWL:siren: a four yearly event like the World Cup.

Truly the king we need.

But yeah, considering D+D are fully on the The Last Jedi school of subverting expectations now, I reckon the Robert Strong Cersei has is actually a bloated Bobby B in the armour, not Gregor. WHAT A TWIST! (even though the show is not trying to hide it and repeatedly calls him the mountain, he is now bobby b)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 3, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Zombie Clegane removes his helmet to reveal that he is actually Khal Drogo, Daario the faceless man who was actually Jaqen all along, but this is after Arya mortally wounds him mid-Cleganebowl fight so it's really tragic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

There's no Clegane bowl. They never paid to have the actor playing Gregor learn to fight with swords and they won't for that one fight so the whole thing would be pathetic. Arya is probably going to stab him in the eye with dragon glass.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Katt posted:

There's no Clegane bowl. They never paid to have the actor playing Gregor learn to fight with swords and they won't for that one fight so the whole thing would be pathetic. Arya is probably going to stab him in the eye with dragon glass.

lmao you just reminded me how bad he was in the Mountain v Viper fight

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Katt posted:

counterpoint: they were willing to pay for an entire hour of CGI zombies that were completely invisible because of how dark the episode was

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

esperterra posted:

lmao you just reminded me how bad he was in the Mountain v Viper fight

I like the idea that he kind of doesn't know how to fight. He's just so big and strong that he just swings his sword really hard and knocks the other guy around. He uses a "greatsword" which afaik is not really a thing, but he uses a greatsword one-handed.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pseudanonymous posted:

I like the idea that he kind of doesn't know how to fight. He's just so big and strong that he just swings his sword really hard and knocks the other guy around. He uses a "greatsword" which afaik is not really a thing, but he uses a greatsword one-handed.

Yeah, I have no problem really with the idea that Gregor is just so loving big and strong he never needed to learn how to fight.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

gregor's jousting prowess (he pulls off an assassination at the beginning of book/season 1 by delivering a lance straight into the 1 loose spot on a kid's armor) suggests he's meant to have some finesse

something from the books that doesn't come across in the show - due to the physical limitations of human actors - is that both clegane brothers are supposed to be quick and very fast

bjornson's a monster of a man, but to get book-accurate gregor you'd have to use CGI

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 3, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Hound is going to win the Cleganebowl so easily. He witnessed the greatest fighter in the history of Westeros, Arya Stark, sword fight so by osmosis, he's one of the greatest ever.

Makes me think how a fight between Arthur Dayne (prime) Vs Arya (gut stabbed 6 times by a pro assassin) would go.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 3, 2019

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
They really gotta stop doing the after episode D&D interview thing. After the episode with Arthur Dayne those dimwits are like "Oh yeah, we thought it would look cooler if Dayne had two swords, so thats why we got him duel wielding"

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm honestly surprised we've never had some anime rear end video game character dual wielding sniper rifles as much as the venn diagrams for gun perverts, weebs, and loving silly displays of goofy prowess meant to be cool overlap.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

in spite of this enormous dumpster fire of an ending im legit thankful those "Tyrion is going to be the 3rd dragon rider" poo poo never panned out as that was at least 10x dumber than anything D&D (but not dave hill) have come up with

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Goddamn I would watch the hell out of a Schlocky HBO Shadowrun series

:same:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Am I wrong in thinking that Maisie Williams' butt was the highlight of this season?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tahirovic posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Maisie Williams' butt was the highlight of this season?

Not at all but please have a seat.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Katt posted:

Not at all but please have a seat.

My client would like the avail of the Hal Jordan defense sir, her planet revolved around the sun at a slower speed, so her years had many more days than an equivalent Sol year.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
SMH that we never had a Night King sex scene.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sam is the last of the Night's Watch. He should change the name to Wight Watchers and only hire fat people to make them thin.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
so uh, are there any theories on what exactly answered the sorcerer who castrated Varys? In both the books and the show Varys says when the old man threw his severed bits in a brazier the flames went blue and a voice spoke from them in a language he couldn't understand. Doesn't quite sound like the red god, who loves burnt sacrifices but doesn't seem to alter the color of the flames or speak audibly like that, afaik. there is one cosmic force in the setting that likes the color blue, of course, but it's not exactly associated with flames.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Varys's junk confirmed as the Nightking

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m still confused that we have the children of the corn magicking a Night’s King, a red god that can raise the dead and birth assassin shadows, Bran doing crow puppetry which doesn’t seem to be tied to any religion at all, and yet almost everyone worships The Seven, for which we’ve seen no major supporting evidence of their existence.

The religious aspects of ASOIAF have always felt like a bit of a mess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mike N Eich posted:

They really gotta stop doing the after episode D&D interview thing. After the episode with Arthur Dayne those dimwits are like "Oh yeah, we thought it would look cooler if Dayne had two swords, so thats why we got him duel wielding"

I can't believe these idiots didn't find a way to put Darkstar in the show.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Know what I liked in the show? The "Hodor" reveal about how he went weird and got his name. Has there been any confirmation from GRRM if that was supposed to happen that way in the books?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I want to say that came from GRRM but don't have a source.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
That was one of the three big OMG moments GRRM told D&D.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Solice Kirsk posted:

Sam is the last of the Night's Watch. He should change the name to Wight Watchers and only hire fat people to make them thin.

Based on his stunning personal track record, of course.

Dangerllama posted:

I'm still confused that we have the children of the corn magicking a Night’s King, a red god that can raise the dead and birth assassin shadows, Bran doing crow puppetry which doesn’t seem to be tied to any religion at all, and yet almost everyone worships The Seven, for which we’ve seen no major supporting evidence of their existence.

The religious aspects of ASOIAF have always felt like a bit of a mess.

This is definitely in overthinking territory, but the Faith of the Seven being powerless might be exactly what makes them popular with rulers - as long as they aren't allowed to do silly things like establishing a militant order, they keep the populace happy and defend the status quo.

The priests of every other religion have been at best free agents acting with the blessing and supernatural powers granted by their gods, and most of them have been a keystone of opposition to the temporal rulers - the Red God dude in Volantis whom the Triarchs fear, the Many-Faced God allegedly organizing Valyrian slave uprisings, Seaweedbeard or whathisname trying to manipulate the royal election, etc.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

pseudanonymous posted:

Greatswords are definitely a thing. They often make them way too big in movies/TV/video games, however. Historical greatswords that were actually used in combat were frequently about ~5-7 lbs or so (for comparison most swords of more typical size fall within the 2.5-3.5 lb range). Though there are bigger ones, there's nothing approaching the massive, 30lb things you see in entertainment.

A reasonably strong, regular sized person *could* wield a greatsword with one hand, but you definitely wouldn't want to, as their huge size would make it awkward as hell. A history/sword guy on youtube even made a video demonstrating that you could, it's just difficult and, more importantly, too slow to be practical in an actual fight. Many of the historical names for them mean "two-hander" for a reason. That's how they were designed to be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbNL_At0IVw

The Mountain is a gigantic man, however, so he could probably do it no problem.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Bobby Digital posted:

That was one of the three big OMG moments GRRM told D&D.

Any notes on what the other two are? I'm guessing one of them is R+L=J?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Aren't real swords about as sharp as butter knives and knights would often grab them by the blade and use the pommel to bash in skulls?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
No and yes

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Katt posted:

Aren't real swords about as sharp as butter knives and knights would often grab them by the blade and use the pommel to bash in skulls?

no, steel holds an edge, a functioning sword is plenty sharp at least at the start of the day. armored knights did grab their weapons by the blade for better leverage to thrust with the point, and might potentially deflect their opponent's weapon at very close quarters (though if you got the angle wrong that'd be a great way to lose, say, all the fingers on one hand), but that's because their hands were protected by gauntlets

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Katt posted:

If you're expecting to use it two handed, then sometimes the bottom of the blade is left blunt. The business end is kept as sharp as practicable.

If you're going to hold the blade and use the pommel to bash your opponent, you're going to wearing mail gloves anyway, and so you can grab a sharp blade just fine.

lmao

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Know what I liked in the show? The "Hodor" reveal about how he went weird and got his name. Has there been any confirmation from GRRM if that was supposed to happen that way in the books?

the hodor reveal was actually eerie and disconcerting, so ive always assumed it to be a gurm thing

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

If the actor playing Sandors older brother is going to be played by a baby faced man that's 20 years his junior then they could at least have had him wear armour and a helmet for the fight.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pretty wild that the Hound in the books is meant to be like 25 or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

book gregor is 34 as of his duel with oberyn

meaning he was like 17 when he committed his most famous crimes o_O