Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Aren't most of the characters older in the show, to account for not having Dany and Jon be 14 at the start of the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I think they are still talking about the difference between classic zombies that still have functioning organs and can be killed via trauma to the brain ala TWD, vs GoT wight which operate on mystifying rules that seem to change from episode to episode to add to the mystery. I guess there is also regular grunt zombies in GoT that die when a wight is killed or something. Personally, I dont really think there is any consistent rules other than you cant kill them with regular weapons but you can with dragonglass or fire, so the hero army opts to mine the more expensive of the two.
You’re confusing wight(grunt zombie) and white walker. Wights are the reanimated dead, white walkers are the sentient beings that have the power to reanimate and control the dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

th3t00t posted:

You’re confusing wight(grunt zombie) and white walker. Wights are the reanimated dead, white walkers are the sentient beings that have the power to reanimate and control the dead.

God they were really loving stupid in calling them that. They should have stuck with the Others.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I would never have guessed 25. Book hound for me was played by Vinnie Jones

How many dragons survived the battle? Does Danny still have 2?

Katt fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 3, 2019

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Yes, this weeks preview showed 2 dragons alive - ice dragon confirmed dead (BUT COMING BACK TO LIFE SOON FOR THE THRILLING CLIMAX FINALE OF GAME OF THRONES!)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Katt posted:

I would never have guessed 25. Book hound for me was played by Vinnie Jones

How many dragons survived the battle? Does Danny still have 2?

Vinnie Jones would make a better Bronn. Speaking of, wtf isn't he in the show? He'd be fantastic no matter what he played as.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

the hodor reveal was actually eerie and disconcerting, so ive always assumed it to be a gurm thing

The show runners said GRRM told them three holy poo poo moments. One was Stannis burning Shireen, one was the Hodor thing, and the other hasn’t happened yet. The Stannis burning Shireen thing is interesting since in the books it isn’t quite set-up logistically. I guess Stannis is defeated at Winterfell and retreats to the wall (through a blizzard?) and then burns her there?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

did gurm say stannis himself burns her?

i figured Mel would do it on her own initiative once stannis goes missing and jon is killed

can't see how he'd manage it from whatever snowed-in village he's stuck in

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, it's more likely Mel burns Shireen of her own accord, prob to help Jon at this point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I figured she'd burn her to "bring back Azor Ahai" when she hears Stannis is dead and then Jon just pops up and is all "what's going on? this is weird."

Then Arya turns out to be Azor Ahai.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

YaketySass posted:

Aren't most of the characters older in the show, to account for not having Dany and Jon be 14 at the start of the series?

most characters are aged up a bit (2-10 years) for various reasons

the younger characters to minimize squick (and because it's easier to find a good 15 year old actor than a good 10 year old actor)

the older characters either to compensate for the younger characters, to add gravitas, or because they already had certain actors in mind

for instance, ned and cat are in their early 30s in the books - im betting they already had sean bean in mind for ned and knew he couldn't pass for 30, hence show ned being 45 or so

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I had mixed feelings about the characters being aged up in the show:

On one hand, it sucks because of course I want to see the people I've been picturing in my head. Ned should've looked 35ish and had black hair, King Robby B should've been taller ( I pictured the dude who played Bluto in the Robin Williams Popeye movie.) and etc.

On the other hand, the actors they have I like a lot, and I think it'd be really weird actually having to sit through all the torture, rape, and sex scenes with children younger than my son.

I also think the guy who played Benjen looked more like Ned in my head, and with white hair would also look like a great Geralt in the upcoming Witcher series.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I figured she'd burn her to "bring back Azor Ahai" when she hears Stannis is dead and then Jon just pops up and is all "what's going on? this is weird."

Then Arya turns out to be Azor Ahai.

I doubt the books' plot is gonna follow the show at all. Stannis is likely to win the battle, for starters. He knows the terrain and Bolton is riding with a bunch of northerners that hate his guts.

Also the books will never come out.

Elman fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2019

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

Yes. The conversation would’ve happened three-ish years before book 5 was released for what it’s worth.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

PupsOfWar posted:

most characters are aged up a bit (2-10 years) for various reasons

the younger characters to minimize squick (and because it's easier to find a good 15 year old actor than a good 10 year old actor)

the older characters either to compensate for the younger characters, to add gravitas, or because they already had certain actors in mind

for instance, ned and cat are in their early 30s in the books - im betting they already had sean bean in mind for ned and knew he couldn't pass for 30, hence show ned being 45 or so

Which means, Robb being 18 at the start of the show, Ned was 27 when he punched his v-card with Cat.

What a nerd.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc it was just that Shireen burns. The never specified if GURM said Stannis does it.

Shireen is currently 200 miles away at the Wall while Stannis is snowed in outside Winterfell.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PupsOfWar posted:

i figured Mel would do it on her own initiative once stannis goes missing and jon is killed

Selyse is with Mel in the books, she'll do it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A preview chapter for Winds also has Stannis making his men promise to put Shireen on the throne should he fall against the Boltons. It's way more likely that Mel and/or Selyse decide to burn her.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Selyse burning her to "help" Stannis would make sense, considering Stannis wants her to have the throne if he dies and Selyse is a bit of a huge prick and is the zealot of the couple.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Who is Selyse again?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In 2042 when all seven books are out, i'll be glad to go online to find a nice, concise list of all the book/show differences. For the most part though, there are just as many show changes that I like more than the books as vice versa.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i dont think we always have to caveat "the books aren't coming out" when we're talking bookplot
we all know the books are never coming out
if we say "x will happen in the books" it can be assumed we mean it'll happen in whatever chickenscratch notes are published after gurm's death

Elman posted:

I doubt the books' plot is gonna follow the show at all. Stannis is likely to win the battle, for starters. He knows the terrain and Bolton is riding with a bunch of northerners that hate his guts.

stannis is likely to win any sorties thru his various traps and setups

winning the campaign overall is dicier - roose is cautious and perfectly content to turtle up in the fortress with his superior army

so stannis overall victory is contingent on the dumber and more reckless ramsey taking over

i think ramsay couping roose will happen in the books (though it won't happen instantly and easily like in the show)

The Winterfell sections in ADWD go out of their way to establish there's all these different factions bottled up in Winterfell - you've got the freys, northmen who are cool with the Boltons in general (Dreadfort men), those who are aligned with Roose personally but not with Ramsay dustins and ryswells), those who are definitely planning to betray the Boltons (the manderlys and umbers) and those who probably aren't involved in any schemes but will probably betray the Boltons given the chance (cerwyns, tallharts etc.)

that's all wasted setup if no Roose vs. Ramsay civil war breaks out within Winterfell

i really love the Winterfell campaign in ADWD and thats why i am still willing to call it a good book despite...the rest of it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

Who is Selyse again?

stannis's wife

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

I think about this too much lmfao

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Which means, Robb being 18 at the start of the show, Ned was 27 when he punched his v-card with Cat.

What a nerd.

don't be jealous that he preserved his volcel power until a relatively late age

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

esperterra posted:

iirc it was just that Shireen burns. The never specified if GURM said Stannis does it.

Shireen is currently 200 miles away at the Wall while Stannis is snowed in outside Winterfell.

https://ew.com/article/2016/05/24/george-rr-martin-3-twists-game-thrones/

It may be hearsay but it says Stannis

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

PupsOfWar posted:

stannis's wife

Thank you

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PupsOfWar posted:

Stannis has to order it for his character arc. It's all leading up to it.

The others are just minor characters and it's not a conflict for them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In regards to Stannis vs Roose: as for the book story, it doesn't matter who wins. I imagine Stannis will smash his army up against Roose's and everyone/most everyone will die and we'll be back to the personal vendettas between Ramsay and Jon Snow and whatever. And while there's lots of folks who poo poo on the author or the later books, I like most of the book subplots are interesting to me, like the Alayne stuff with Arya, all the weird Viking wannabe Greyjoy poo poo, and the whole "Dorne wants to crown Myrcella because her mom's a raging psychopath" sub plot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

In regards to Stannis vs Roose: as for the book story, it doesn't matter who wins. I imagine Stannis will smash his army up against Roose's and everyone/most everyone will die and we'll be back to the personal vendettas between Ramsay and Jon Snow and whatever. And while there's lots of folks who poo poo on the author or the later books, I like most of the book subplots are interesting to me, like the Alayne stuff with Arya, all the weird Viking wannabe Greyjoy poo poo, and the whole "Dorne wants to crown Myrcella because her mom's a raging psychopath" sub plot.

I don't think there's anything wrong with those sub-plots, I think the frustration is rather than moving along the story for the main characters, the author started introducing sub-plots. I feel like there's a least some crossover with the WoT readership, and Jordan went loving berserk with poo poo that didn't matter all that much, and therefore books that barely moved forward. Jordan at least kept pumping out books till he died.

Feast and Dance took 5 and 6 years respectively, and not that much happens across the two books, because of so much new stuff. Winter is taking 8 years so far. If we assume current trends continue, there's no loving way a 70-year-old fatman is getting to the end of his 9 book series. Which means it will be finished more than likely by that consumate hack, Sanderson.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with those sub-plots, I think the frustration is rather than moving along the story for the main characters, the author started introducing sub-plots. I feel like there's a least some crossover with the WoT readership, and Jordan went loving berserk with poo poo that didn't matter all that much, and therefore books that barely moved forward. Jordan at least kept pumping out books till he died.

Feast and Dance took 5 and 6 years respectively, and not that much happens across the two books, because of so much new stuff. Winter is taking 8 years so far. If we assume current trends continue, there's no loving way a 70-year-old fatman is getting to the end of his 9 book series. Which means it will be finished more than likely by that consumate hack, Sanderson.

Speaking of which, I heard the Sanderson books were actually good? I only read the first three WoT books, however, because I can only stomach so much "magic lady tugs her braid" poo poo.

I also think the idea that the main plot hasn't moved forward in the Martin books is a bit hyperbolic. It's definitely slowed down and been fattened up, but poo poo is still happening and characters are still going from point A to B, either geographically or in regards to their characters. That said, one thing the show has going for it is brevity and I really like how the show handles some of these sub plots. The show, if nothing else, has been very good at respecting a viewer's time, but also hasn't fallen into the trap of skimping on the slower scenes and more dialogue heavy poo poo.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of which, I heard the Sanderson books were actually good? I only read the first three WoT books, however, because I can only stomach so much "magic lady tugs her braid" poo poo.

I loving hated them.

I think a lot of people wanted closure, and they got it, and they errantly gave him credit for that, when really most of what had to happen were already planned/prophesied. I've never read anything else by him, because they sucked, and everyone whose opinion I respect say everything he writes sucks.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I found the first two Sanderson WoT books to be fine. They didn't quite catch Jordan's tone, but they got things moving again which was good enough.

The final book though was where Sanderson did his... thing. I haven't read much of Sanderson's works, but it seems like he's fond of finales that read like someone who knows every word of a RPG rulebook powergaming their heart out, which was entirely wrong for a series in which battle scenes were generally vaguely described.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

bloom posted:

I found the first two Sanderson WoT books to be fine. They didn't quite catch Jordan's tone, but they got things moving again which was good enough.

The final book though was where Sanderson did his... thing. I haven't read much of Sanderson's works, but it seems like he's fond of finales that read like someone who knows every word of a RPG rulebook powergaming their heart out, which was entirely wrong for a series in which battle scenes were generally vaguely described.

This is probably because Jordan fought in Vietnam, and Sanderson fought in videogames.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

bloom posted:

Yeah there weren't as many rants about how fickle and unreliable the :females: are :v:

bloom posted:

I thought Jordan wrote almost the entirety of Tarmon Gai'don because he knew he wouldn't have time to finish the books so he knocked out the important stuff early.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

I thought Jordan wrote almost the entirety of Tarmon Gai'don because he knew he wouldn't have time to finish the books so he knocked out the important stuff early.

We'll never know because Sanderson blames everything people don't like on Jordan, who is dead, and can't defend himself.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Katt posted:

I mean it could be true but it would be really weird for Jordan to write the last book so differently from everything else in his decades spanning series. Meanwhile it's right in Sanderson's wheelhouse.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

pseudanonymous posted:

We'll never know because Sanderson blames everything people don't like on Jordan, who is dead, and can't defend himself.

Wouldn't something like this have extensive documentation?

I'm a peasant though. I never noticed a difference between the two except that Sanderson ranted less about women

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Katt posted:

Wouldn't something like this have extensive documentation?

I'm a peasant though. I never noticed a difference between the two except that Sanderson ranted less about women

How would they profit from revealing Jordan's notes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

One thing I liked about WOT is that most of the stuff I thought about the characters would try.

like in LOTR Gandalf alternates between regular fighting and then sometimes he shoots a fireball but mostly he doesn't so the other characters get to fight too but it's a bit jarring because it always poses the question of "why not fireball?" Sort of like how Jedis will fight with regular humans instead of just force ripping heads off. And the story never explains why (besides to keep the fight scenes interesting.

In WOT I'm like "what if Rand did kamehameha and deleted the whole castle with the villain inside instead of walking into a trap"

And he did!

Or if someone doesn't use magic to fireball an enemy then it could be because their MP bar was low which is explained.