Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PJOmega posted:

The point is that he's acting as a funnel to other charities that are actually doing things. He's a glorified middle man that collects money because a certain class of nerds love endorsing nerd venues over venues that get poo poo done.
Yeah, that gets to the heart of the matter.

quote:

Worldbuilders, billed as the “geeks doing good” nonprofit, was founded by fantasy novelist Patrick Rothfuss, creator of The Kingkiller Chronicle (one of Paste’s 30 best fantasy series of all time). In a statement, Rothfuss describes Worldbuilders’ purpose as to “raise money for charities they respect that might otherwise get overlooked by the geek community.”

“The Worldbuilders team is full of geeks, gamers and book nerds, and people who tend to respect intelligent solutions,” says Rothfuss, “whether it’s a rock-solid magic system in a favorite fantasy series or an airtight game mechanic that’s easy to learn and offers amazing variety.”

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
when i was in high school i had friends who earnestly tried to explain to me the taxonomic distinctions between a self-identified "geek" and a self-identified "nerd" and i came away deciding i despised both groups equally and wanted nothing to do with either of them. that has not changed with experience

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

nankeen posted:

when i was in high school i had friends who earnestly tried to explain to me the taxonomic distinctions between a self-identified "geek" and a self-identified "nerd" and i came away deciding i despised both groups equally and wanted nothing to do with either of them. that has not changed with experience

https://www.theonion.com/gaywads-dorkwads-sign-historic-wad-accord-1819565037

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

al-azad posted:

That's not scummy at all, nonprofits are allowed to pay employees a salary. The tax forms are publicly available, you can see exactly how much money is left.

Sure, of course, Nonprofits pay their employees. What value does his "charity" add? I guess if you're arguing that people only donate money because it's him, then sure. I think that's bullshit. I think if he just repeatedly extolled those charities on his blog with a link the money would go directly to them.

He's actually running more like a foundation, but he's not a rich guy to give it an endowment, instead, he's getting nerds to bankroll it, and taking a healthy cut for himself.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Worldbuilders, like nearly every non-profit, operates through direct fundraising (which is a 100% donation) and by selling merchandise/operating events (which a percentage goes to charity). Patrick Rothfuss pays himself zero dollars from Worldbuilders, at least as of the last public filing. There's essentially two full time employees and another voting member who receives zero compensation. The other wages go to part timers and compensation for travel, conventions, hotels, and so on.

I'm not going to die on a hill for a guy who screwed over a buddy of mine, but I do take issue with calling Worldbuilders scummy when it operates in line with literally every charity. Nobody is getting rich off the organization, least of all Rothfuss, and they are not acting as a middleman skimming off the top unless you buy their merchandise which is the equivalent of any store that's like "All proceeds go here!"

That's all I have to say about it. Like I said the only thing the dude does right is run a charity.

pseudanonymous posted:

Sure, of course, Nonprofits pay their employees. What value does his "charity" add? I guess if you're arguing that people only donate money because it's him, then sure. I think that's bullshit. I think if he just repeatedly extolled those charities on his blog with a link the money would go directly to them.

He's actually running more like a foundation, but he's not a rich guy to give it an endowment, instead, he's getting nerds to bankroll it, and taking a healthy cut for himself.

That's what a loving fundraiser is!!!

Ah, zero dollars. The healthiest cuts let me tell you what

e: Charity! the fast track to a $24 an hour lifestyle.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 5, 2019

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

al-azad posted:

Worldbuilders, like nearly every non-profit, operates through direct fundraising (which is a 100% donation) and by selling merchandise/operating events (which a percentage goes to charity). Patrick Rothfuss pays himself zero dollars from Worldbuilders, at least as of the last public filing. There's essentially two full time employees and another voting member who receives zero compensation. The other wages go to part timers and compensation for travel, conventions, hotels, and so on.

I'm not going to die on a hill for a guy who screwed over a buddy of mine, but I do take issue with calling Worldbuilders scummy when it operates in line with literally every charity. Nobody is getting rich off the organization, least of all Rothfuss, and they are not acting as a middleman skimming off the top unless you buy their merchandise which is the equivalent of any store that's like "All proceeds go here!"

That's all I have to say about it. Like I said the only thing the dude does right is run a charity.

That's what a loving fundraiser is!!!

Ah, zero dollars. The healthiest cuts let me tell you what

e: Charity! the fast track to a $24 an hour lifestyle.

Thanks for digging this up. At least the lazy creeper doesn't rip off charity. :unsmith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
No poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

He may be creepy, and lazy, and a bad writer, and ignore every design document for a million dollar project while pretending he came up with the concept, and totally blow off Lin-Manuel Miranda publicly before going "oh poo poo this guys more famous than me" but he does not steal cookies from the cookie jar.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

MORE TEA

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Any chance his charity is funding the extensive con circuit he does every year which keeps himself in the public eye and allows him to sell signed copies of his books and such for personal profit?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think he has something called "royalties" for that.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think he has something called "royalties" for that.

I doubt those novels are still selling well enough for royalties to go very far.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How did he blow off Lin Manuel Miranda?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BananaNutkins posted:

I doubt those novels are still selling well enough for royalties to go very far.
The bit would work a lot better if the tax form with a zero next to his name hadn't been posted on this page. Not sure why this is the thing you're going after when the guy blatantly attempted to take sexual advantage of a fan.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

Any chance his charity is funding the extensive con circuit he does every year which keeps himself in the public eye and allows him to sell signed copies of his books and such for personal profit?

Effectively none. If you're at a convention in a professional capacity you're either sponsored by the convention or you go through the same process of reserving a table as everyone else. You can write off practically every expense related to your business from travel to the pen you used to sign your name. If he's skimming funds from Worldbuilders to pay for tickets and airfare that'll show up on taxes and is a fast track to an audit.

TV Zombie posted:

How did he blow off Lin Manuel Miranda?

Before Hamilton really took off in 2015 Miranda would constantly quote the book on Twitter and Rothfuss would have the kind of cheeky, dismissive attitude you would give to a younger cousin fawning all over you culminating in a "hey Pat, remember me if they're ever adapting your work" "If I have any say in it...". Fast forward a year later Showtime announces they're adapting the work with Miranda as executive producer and Rothfuss turns into a gushing fanboy overnight going so far as to call Miranda the "President of the don't gently caress it up committee" while the actual show runner is like "Yeah I'm cool with being unrecognized whatever I'm only running the whole show."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 5, 2019

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i believe rothfuss has murdered several people, and i am going to find the bodies

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

nankeen posted:

i believe rothfuss has murdered several people, and i am going to find the bodies

Check his beard.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm not going to defend any charities because they're just speedbumps on the way to revolution but his doesn't seem any worse than any other.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

convention guests have their travel expenses covered by the con, he goes because he's invited

there are plenty of reasons to think this dude sucks without just making poo poo up, come on

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

convention guests have their travel expenses covered by the con, he goes because he's invited

there are plenty of reasons to think this dude sucks without just making poo poo up, come on

Speculating that a guy who acts like a piece of poo poo in various ways isn't that shocking. It turns out he isn't abusing his charity. Good on him for that.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Edit: Maybe I should read the thread before I post.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

pseudanonymous posted:

Speculating that a guy who acts like a piece of poo poo in various ways isn't that shocking. It turns out he isn't abusing his charity. Good on him for that.

"When you think about it it's mostly his fault I was making assumptions and spreading rumors about him."

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The type of scumbaggery discussed in the tea here is not the "financial crimes" kind of scumbaggery, it is the "resentful lifelong nerd wins the lottery but retains his selfishness and disregard of others despite no longer needing it as a coping mechanism" kind of scumbaggery hth

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I heard that Rothfuss is so good at sex that his dick is considered a charity, and he has made generous donations to many hot women,

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

"When you think about it it's mostly his fault I was making assumptions and spreading rumors about him."

This but unironically. If someone repeatedly does lovely shady things while constantly seeking fame over time I stop giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Whatever the opposite of the benefit of the doubt is, with Rothfuss I generally assume anything he's doing is Trumpian in its nature.

Also lol at spreading rumors. Idle posts in a thread in book barn for book nerds who will buy his book if it's ever ghostwritten anyway. These scurrilous rumors will surely terribly impact his reputation amongst those gathered to make fun of him.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Earlier in the thread someone mentioned Rothfuss taking a six figure salary from.his charity. That seems to be directly contradicted by the tax filings. Would that poster like to clarify where they got their information from?

I'm not a huge fan of being misled in such a way.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I am still laughing at the idea that 24/hr isn't a ton of money for an NPO of this nature. (source: worked at an NPO for a long time)

But yeah, please let's not let this take away attention from Rothfuss being a loving sex pest.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Reene posted:

I am still laughing at the idea that 24/hr isn't a ton of money for an NPO of this nature. (source: worked at an NPO for a long time)

But yeah, please let's not let this take away attention from Rothfuss being a loving sex pest.

That's great money for Wisconsin. But yeah, you guys saying that he takes 0 money from the charity and everything are probably right. In fact, it looks like his LLC has donated a significant amount to his own charity every single year. I still think these kind of charities are a dumb way to donate.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my plan is to be sexually harassed incognito by rothfuss and/or his accomplices. this i will film with a hidden body camera and disperse to the wider public

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the last any of you ever hear from me will be a grainy livestream where i am backed into a corner and rothfuss is advancing on me with his greasy beard strands waving lasciviously like jellyfish tentacles. i trust this forum to avenge my death

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
I got about 400 pages into the first book before I bailed. I wanted to quit sooner, around page 200 or so, but the people that recommended it to me were people I saw every day and they’d always ask where I was in the book, then gush about something they loved about it, so I sorta felt like I must be missing something, and kept reading.

Finally, I just went and skipped to the last few pages of the book to see if it wrapped up in any interesting way. I didn’t know at the time that it was part of a (ha) trilogy...so getting to the end and finding out that no plot points get resolved, that the book just keeps plodding endlessly to nowhere was frustrating as heck. Then I found this thread, realized that no, it wasn’t going to get any better, and gave up completely.

I no longer trust the taste of the one who gave me the rec, though she did also tell me to read A Darker Shade of Magic and that one was...better...I guess.

I’m starting to think I just don’t enjoy fantasy books like I used to, or maybe my standards have gotten too high?

What fantasy novel would you recommend for someone who hated NOTW?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Don't worry man, goodreads burned me on this poo poo too

Fantasy has the least discerning fans in terms of quality

Edit: Book of the New Sun if you haven't read it already (ps read nothing online ahead of time)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

tallest crocodile posted:

I got about 400 pages into the first book before I bailed. I wanted to quit sooner, around page 200 or so, but the people that recommended it to me were people I saw every day and they’d always ask where I was in the book, then gush about something they loved about it, so I sorta felt like I must be missing something, and kept reading.

Finally, I just went and skipped to the last few pages of the book to see if it wrapped up in any interesting way. I didn’t know at the time that it was part of a (ha) trilogy...so getting to the end and finding out that no plot points get resolved, that the book just keeps plodding endlessly to nowhere was frustrating as heck. Then I found this thread, realized that no, it wasn’t going to get any better, and gave up completely.

I no longer trust the taste of the one who gave me the rec, though she did also tell me to read A Darker Shade of Magic and that one was...better...I guess.

I’m starting to think I just don’t enjoy fantasy books like I used to, or maybe my standards have gotten too high?

Lots of people don't like NotW with lots of different tastes. Go to a general thread and say what you like and didn't like, then when people give you recommendations, listen to the people who's tastes line up with you the best. On Goodreads this is easy cause you can just click the profile. If not generally listen to ones explaining why the book should match with what you are looking for, rather than just gushing the book is good.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 6, 2019

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Left Hand of Darkness. Liveship Traders Trilogy also doubles up as "ASoIaF with an ending"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

nankeen posted:

my plan is to be sexually harassed incognito by rothfuss and/or his accomplices. this i will film with a hidden body camera and disperse to the wider public

nankeen posted:

the last any of you ever hear from me will be a grainy livestream where i am backed into a corner and rothfuss is advancing on me with his greasy beard strands waving lasciviously like jellyfish tentacles. i trust this forum to avenge my death

Felurian claims another victim :911:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

classic pulp serials:

Jack Vance’s Dying Earth
Fritz Lieber Fafhrd & Grey Mouser
Robert E. Howard Conan

modern Americana short stories: Howard Waldrop - The Sawing Boys, The Ugly Chickens

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would say if you like worldbuilding to check out Jan Morris' Hav collection. It's a travelogue of a fictional Mediterranean city with real world history and surreal fantasy wrapped around it, told through the author's point of view in the sort of way a tourist would make an adventure out of the most mundane local attractions while oblivious to the hidden excitement of an unfamiliar place.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
In that vein, there's also TBB snob favorite The Dictionary of the Khazars.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Liveship traders is lovely “fantasy version of alternate history” soap opera epic btw. It’s not good.

Easy comparison is Jonathan Strange & Dr Norrell which is also alternate fantasy history but done in far better style and in a more interesting way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

Liveship traders is lovely “fantasy version of alternate history” soap opera epic btw. It’s not good.

I actually enjoyed the books because the journey from the mundane to the epic and fantastic is done through the lenses of an extended family, specially the women, not only the usual young brooding male. The prose was decent but it was a translated version so that's in the air. The bad thing is that it takes three books to tell a story that could be done in a novella so yeah, it's bloated, but I still found it fresh and vivid when I read it

Baudolino by Umberto Eco is eerily alike KKC, including narrating the whole thing to a chronicler as the framing narrative, but it's by a drat good writer and excellent medievalist