Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

what even happened to Edmure after Riverrun?

He died on the way back to his home planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

what even happened to Edmure after Riverrun?

Same thing that happened to Nymeria the budget. The show really should've been animated and when they inevitably try to do more asoiaf in like 10 years it should be (Why yes I am salty I don't get to see a killer wolf pack vs ice faeries why do you ask?)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Who do you think was firing those arrows that took out Rhaegal?

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 7, 2019

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They doubled the budget, killed two dragons, replaced King's Landing with an empty desert, and sent Ghost to a nice farm upstate

and STILL couldn't CGI in just a few loving ICE SPIDERS.

EAT poo poo D&D.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
It's symbolic that the dragon died the scene after Dany decided she would not uphold her family ways anymore and that this is her show entirely, as if to say she is betraying her own in a way. The notes are there if you squint, but it's just taking more and more effort, though it explains why nothing makes much sense in the context of what's presented, instead of filling in the rest, we're cutting more to fit in the runtime. Really weird to have such an episode like it's just another day in the plot chugging along, when it's supposed to be the climax that everything is building towards. The NK will never be mentioned again, it was just a nightmare Bran was having.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

i am the bird posted:

Holy poo poo.

Also, I would say the foreshadowing in this episode suggests that Arya is going to give the Hound a merciful death unlike the last time they parted ways. It’s ~character growth~ and the two boners in inside the bones will say:

“In this scene, Arya gives the Hound the mercy of death. In their last scene, she didn’t. In episode 4, they talked again and she said she would leave him to die, but this shows character growth because Arya didn’t leave him to die and instead gave him the mercy of death, unlike when they were together last time. She did it this time because she grew as a character.”

I always thought Arya mission was to give the mercy of death to Stoneheart. Killing her zombie mother to reestablish the natural order of death and giving her eternal death instead of being a mockery of what she was while being alive is just too perfect for Arya's character arc.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

An average GoT watcher writing in the Guardian posted:

At this point, is it really too much to ask for some fan service paid to the brown characters for once?

:chloe:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 7, 2019

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
PATCH NOTES 8.5

-Fixed bug where Pets could ghost through walls, and would follow wrong character
-Fixed bug allowing Maester class to stand on Fortification walls, rendering them immune to Undead attack
-Fixed bug where Undead could not attack characters over level 10
-Fixed bug where Dragons were able to leave Fortifications, but would deal zero fire damage to ground targets. Now correctly damages ground targets including Undead
-Increased hitbox for Dragons when flying to include wings and body
-Increased ground based damage against Dragons when flying
-Increased accuracy of Ballista, but now require 4 units. Gains additional Accuracy buff when Admiral class is nearby.
-Increased stealth for small watercraft when piloted by player with Admiral rank or higher
-Fixed bug where Mounted Dragon could only fly up and down and could not move outside castle perimeter
-Removed Dothraki Calvary from game due to balancing issues. Dragon Tamer can now summon 1 new Skilled Follower ( Architect, Hand of the Queen, Emissary, per campaign. ) at level 99. Dead Skilled Followers no longer respawn.
-Fixed bug where it appeared Knight could leave Friend Zone. Knight could cast "Earn Her Love" on death, and players were exploiting this when teamed with Dragon Tamer. Now Knight correctly casts "Like a Brother / Father" on death, giving Dragon Tamer temporary buff to Edge Weapons skill.
-Two handed swords can again be used by Maester. We will not do a rollback - if you lost / damaged / sold a weapon, it will not be restored.
-Pets are being phased out in new Expansion. You can keep legacy pets by transferring them to characters who remain on v8.4 servers. Only Dragon Tamers will be able to use Pets for attack
-Fixed bug where calvary units charge towards enemy units even when they are set to "Flank"
-Fixed bug where Infantry units would stand still when set to "Charge"
-Fixed bug where players could reach closed Raid Instances ( Dorne, Braavos, Essos)
-Assassins can no longer spam jump/slide/jump to remain invisible when moving
-After Warrior levels to Knight, Knight will have reduced resistance to Charm
-Fixed bug where killing high level Undead would destroy all Undead in zone. Players can now properly complete Quests
-Fixed bug where environment lighting was not rendering properly. Be sure to update drivers.
-NPCs no longer sell endless supplies of food during Winter
-Unsullied, Mermen and Ironborn can now regenerate genitalia by completing quest Love of a Good Woman / Love of a Good Mermaid / Love of a Good Cripple
-New Quests added in Kings Landing Zone: Ring of Fire ( 80 ), Ser See-Saw ( 80 ), The G is Silent ( 80 ), Take my Wife, Please ( 80 ) Until the Fat Man Sings ( 80 ) How to get Ahead ( 80 ) Everyone Loves Aemon ( 80 ) Who Are Ya ( 80 ) Clegane's Bowl of Brown ( 80 )

PATCH NOTES 8.6

-Reduced Dragon hitbox by 70%
-Accuracy Buffs no longer stack. Units may only have 1 buff at a time.
-Fixed bug where large watercraft were gaining stealth bonus only meant for smaller ships
-Fixed bug where Pet's were not rendering correctly, including Penny the Pig and Large Wolf models
-Fixed bug where Ice Spiders were being rendered as regular Undead units. Ice Spider quests are all reset including North of the Wall ( 2 ) Battle of the Fist ( 2 ) Re-Manceing The Stone ( 5 ) Bran Flakes ( 35 ) Girls of Summer ( 35 ) Hold the Door ( 40 ) and Battle for Winterfell ( 80 )
-Dragon Fire now works on Undead lvl 99, and correctly does AOE outside of Fortress
-Dragon Tamer can now only control 1 Dragon at a time
-Warriors can now gain gold and honor from Fortifications without leveling up to Knight first
-Hand of the King/Queen no longer provides buff to Int or Wis. We restored the Jester Buff, and added a new jumping and rolling animation!
-Players can leave Nights Watch without aggroing mobs. Wildlings no longer aggro mobs south of the wall.
-Knights can now complete quests How Many Women Does it Take to Screw in a Light Bulb ( 10 )
-Quest Maid of Three and Ten ( 13 ) no longer requires you to walk across all of Westeros talking to NPCs
-Dwarves and Dragon Tamer no longer get Plot Armor buff
-Mystic Cripple NPC can now emote and react to surroundings
-Nymeria removed from game
-Belwas can now be seen by players under level 105
-Fixed Rowing bug
-Fixed Teleportation bug
-Fixed bug where players could hide in Inn baking pies
-Incest buff removed from game
-Removed Quest Rum and Milk ( 40 ) and Which one is Pink ( 40 )

kcroy fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Well, I mean before last night there was only two non-white characters left on the show and neither of them survive to the final episode, so if by “fan service” they meant “maybe don’t treat them like poo poo and then murder them for the sake of a white character’s arc, I dunno”, then yeah, sure, okay.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

my tits and dragons wizard show isnt woke enough

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

banned from Starbucks posted:

my tits and dragons wizard show isnt woke enough

Game of Thrones s8: the only tits and dragons show where there's no longer any tits and the dragons don't matter!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Game of Thrones s8: the only tits and dragons show where there's no longer any tits and the dragons don't matter!

Tune in next year for that show about what if the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery was still a thing. Or did D&D get shamed out of making that one? Like seriously, how loving dumb are these two assholes?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Can't believe they didn't have Jon crying for Dolorous Edd together with Dany and Sansa doing it for Jorah and Theon smh

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 7, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
why don't they do the slavery show and the star wars spinoff at the same time

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Make it the same show.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YaketySass posted:

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon? It’s the ship that made the Triangle Trade in less than fifteen thousand nautical miles!"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SirKibbles posted:

Same thing that happened to Nymeria the budget. The show really should've been animated and when they inevitably try to do more asoiaf in like 10 years it should be (Why yes I am salty I don't get to see a killer wolf pack vs ice faeries why do you ask?)

A Legend of Galactic Heroes-like animated series where every minor character is represented would be amazing.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, I mean before last night there was only two non-white characters left on the show and neither of them survive to the final episode, so if by “fan service” they meant “maybe don’t treat them like poo poo and then murder them for the sake of a white character’s arc, I dunno”, then yeah, sure, okay.

I agree it was a difficult choice of sacrifice/execution, but people have far too much invested in the show. What happens on the show is extremely important, it matters to these people a great deal. At some point it stopped being an entertainment and became a zeitgeist sandbox, with competing claims for service (and shipping). I understand why the show runners have become so alienated, they cannot please everybody and they have no source materiel to reliably point to. My opinion is they should have passed the torch on to others to complete, instead they are serving up a stinky poo that will leave a stink on their work. If they had left after 4 seasons their reputation would be stellar. These last few seasons have been fanfic levels of inconsistent storytelling.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Excited to see how this will work into the next (Wild Cards) books:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1125448413359869953

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is that the speech where Biden says he hasn't got time to care about the american healthcare system and that he has no empathy for the struggles of young people today?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Tune in next year for that show about what if the Confederacy won the Civil War and slavery was still a thing. Or did D&D get shamed out of making that one? Like seriously, how loving dumb are these two assholes?

Oh no it's full steam ahead on that monstrosity. As John Oliver is fond of saying: in two weeks, HBO is hosed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't get the whole backlash on that "Confederate" show. I mean, the premise sounds dumb and I'm not going to watch it. That's where it ends with me though. Are folks worried that D n D are going to glorify and rally for slavery to come back? Or is it just a matter of "this is a sensitive topic and the only way to deal with it is not to watch it at all." I've never understood anyone who can't just change the channel and move on with their lives.

Edit: Thinking about it, the new Wolfenstein games do this same premise, except with Nazis instead of confederates. The games exist as a "what if the Nazis won" scenario and examines that. It doesn't do it very well and is hammy and over the top, but it's there and has garnered almost universal acclaim. It didn't sink Machine Games or Bethesda in the process. Am I missing something?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 7, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a story that needs telling

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's not a story that needs telling

What story "needs" telling? Game of Thrones certainly doesn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chaosapiant posted:

I don't get the whole backlash on that "Confederate" show. I mean, the premise sounds dumb and I'm not going to watch it. That's where it ends with me though. Are folks worried that D n D are going to glorify and rally for slavery to come back? Or is it just a matter of "this is a sensitive topic and the only way to deal with it is not to watch it at all." I've never understood anyone who can't just change the channel and move on with their lives.

As I understand it, the fear is that it is not possible to depict a neo-confederacy without inadvertently glorifying slavery and papering over the horrors of same.

Compare to the idea that "there is no such thing as an anti-war film." Even making a purportedly "anti war" film necessarily glorifies and highlights war because you're putting war center-frame and lionizing or making sympathetic your protagonist (who is involved in a war). Similarly, making a HBO series set in a neo-confederacy is inevitably going to highlight and frame all sorts of heinous poo poo as entertainment. (imagine, for example, what HBO might do with a Sally Hemmings type character).

I'm not sure I agree that a positive alt-confederacy series is not possible but I understand the concerns. I'd be a lot more optimistic if such a series had, like, a lot of african-american control from the top down -- writers, executives, producers, etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As I understand it, the fear is that it is not possible to depict a neo-confederacy without inadvertently glorifying slavery and papering over the horrors of same.

Compare to the idea that "there is no such thing as an anti-war film." Even making a purportedly "anti war" film necessarily glorifies and highlights war because you're putting war center-frame and lionizing or making sympathetic your protagonist (who is involved in a war). Similarly, making a HBO series set in a neo-confederacy is inevitably going to highlight and frame all sorts of heinous poo poo as entertainment. (imagine, for example, what HBO might do with a Sally Hemmings type character).

I'm not sure I agree that a positive alt-confederacy series is not possible but I understand the concerns. I'd be a lot more optimistic if such a series had, like, a lot of african-american control from the top down -- writers, executives, producers, etc.

I actually agree with this for the most part. You can't show a thing without glorifying, even if your intended message is not to do so. But for me, at the end of the day, I just wouldn't watch it. I'd never try to take control in some way, like rally on twitter or send DnD hate mail trying to stop the show from being made. It's not a show for me, so it's just not my business.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What do you guys think of The Man in the High Castle? imho it does not glorifies the nazi in any way

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

You can't show a thing without glorifying, even if your intended message is not to do so.

Come and See.

Anyway, this episode it felt like the show was kind of trying to have some nuance with any characters for the first time since season five but... yeah the writing and direction just weren't there.

Emilia Clarke was emoting for the first time in years, I thought she was a standout and Dany's descent to madness could be decent television.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: Thinking about it, the new Wolfenstein games do this same premise, except with Nazis instead of confederates. The games exist as a "what if the Nazis won" scenario and examines that. It doesn't do it very well and is hammy and over the top, but it's there and has garnered almost universal acclaim. It didn't sink Machine Games or Bethesda in the process. Am I missing something?

It's a sensitive topic that D&D in no way have the skill or subtlety to effectively tackle.

Like imagine them trying to write the Wire instead of David Simon and Ed Burns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elias_Maluco posted:

What do you guys think of The Man in the High Castle? imho it does not glorifies the nazi in any way

Haven't watched it so can't say. Different issue though in a lot of ways because Hitler isn't systematically glorified in American popular culture but the civil war south still is, from Gone with the Wind to Nathaniel Bedford Forrest High School.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah it's not that making such a show properly is impossible, it's that DnD completely lack the historical grounding to tell any story appropriately. There's no way it doesn't immediately devolve into apologia for Southern planters.

Although it probably is impossible to make that show in the US, because no US network would dare to air something that accurately depicted the horror of American chattel slavery.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 7, 2019

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I don't get the whole backlash on that "Confederate" show. I mean, the premise sounds dumb and I'm not going to watch it. ... I've never understood anyone who can't just change the channel and move on with their lives.

So is your question just "why are people saying something will be bad and dumb and doing so differently from me" or is there a more interesting, non-solipsistic question here

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 7, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It makes sense that DnD aren't capable of doing this show "justice," as it were. But most of the backlash I've read on line isn't the fact that DnD are the main writers, it's that the show would exist at all. Also, DnD aren't the only writers. Apparently there is a team of two African American writers working with them. I can't remember their names but they're related. And some of the backlash I've read seems to suggest part of the issue is that the show is being written by two white dudes and two "token" African American writers, even though DnD have said that everyone is an equal partner in the writing. The whole thing is weird and squicky, but at the end of the day it's also just a tv show that, if folks don't like, they can ignore and it will get cancelled.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Haven't watched it so can't say. Different issue though in a lot of ways because Hitler isn't systematically glorified in American popular culture but the civil war south still is, from Gone with the Wind to Nathaniel Bedford Forrest High School.

Agree

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Man in the High Castle has been getting poo poo because it literally does depict a world a poo poo ton of American fascists would love to be in though this didn't start until after Trump won the election and everyone noticed there's a ton of fascists in America. There was a lot of controversy when they were showing New Berlin on that show and how many people were missing the point that it looks so great because millions of people are slaves for the few white Germans who live there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

It makes sense that DnD aren't capable of doing this show "justice," as it were. But most of the backlash I've read on line isn't the fact that DnD are the main writers, it's that the show would exist at all. Also, DnD aren't the only writers.

DnD aren't the only writers for GoT either, and look where we are :v:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Man in the High Castle does an amazing job of depicting the "perfect nazi society" where there's no crime (because every offense results in automatic execution) and no illness (because every sick person is executed) and no complicated social issues (because anyone who has questions in their head is executed) and it is a deeply terrifying world for anyone who is sane and passes for a real human being by having empathy.

Unfortunately, Trump voters aren't functioning human beings and see this and think "this is great, why aren't we killing people who don't love the government, like those liberals that don't did never done read the constitution?"

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

chaosapiant posted:

It makes sense that DnD aren't capable of doing this show "justice," as it were. But most of the backlash I've read on line isn't the fact that DnD are the main writers, it's that the show would exist at all. Also, DnD aren't the only writers. Apparently there is a team of two African American writers working with them. I can't remember their names but they're related. And some of the backlash I've read seems to suggest part of the issue is that the show is being written by two white dudes and two "token" African American writers, even though DnD have said that everyone is an equal partner in the writing. The whole thing is weird and squicky, but at the end of the day it's also just a tv show that, if folks don't like, they can ignore and it will get cancelled.

Well, if the born-multimillionaire white guy who is in charge of the project because he just come off one of the most successful shows ever says that the black guy you've never heard of will be an equal partner, who am I to question it. Especially after the thoughtful and sensitive way race and slavery were treated in HBO's Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Does Man in the High Castle deal with the Holocaust? Like, are they rounding up Jewish people in the US and putting them in death camps?