Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Having looked it up, I have to say that it looks much less entertaining than Uno. It's basically a solitaire game; It's only "multiplayer" in that the players are racing to meet the win condition first.

It's a theme over function game where most of the enjoyment is derived from players excitedly pointing out what game each card is referencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

joss whedon should be locked in guantanamo for influencing an entire generation to write like this

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Hammer Bro. posted:

Ehh? I think the audiobook version I listened to may've cut out at the 2/3 mark. Or maybe the actual ending was very abrupt. I was not motivated enough to look into it.

There were some pleasant Britishisms but the world didn't feel particularly built and the characters were okay but not compelling.

Alt-historical fiction doesn’t exactly set a high bar and Strange & Norrell wasn’t profound or anything, but it was a decent “fun” read. Definitely better than “what if East Indies Trading Co, but angsty talking boats!”

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Someone besides me read the priory of the orange tree.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Someone besides me read the priory of the orange tree.

Is it decent or just to throw it to the bonfire? Since only mediocre to bad fantasy books seem to be translated to spanish my chances of reading it are inversely proportional to its quality. I think WMF got a same-day release in spanish, just life Fire&Blood

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I wrote a bonfire post. I think it's interesting and worth discussing at least.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Pacho posted:

Is it decent or just to throw it to the bonfire? Since only mediocre to bad fantasy books seem to be translated to spanish my chances of reading it are inversely proportional to its quality. I think WMF got a same-day release in spanish, just life Fire&Blood
A translation has apparently been set for release, but it isn't out yet.

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

branedotorg posted:

Patrick rated it it was amazing · (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-would-blurb
I liked this anthology enough to actually write an introduction for it. Needless to say, that rarely happens.

I was going to drop a review here, then I realized that would be kinda silly, when the introduction I wrote says everything I want to say, much more clearly and cleanly than any quick review I could bang out.

So here it is...

This is a good anthology. Can we start there? Let's start there.

That's really the most important thing you can get out of this introduction. tl;dr - This is a good anthology full of stories that are worth your time and money.

If you want, you can hop directly into reading it. Go on. I won't be offended.

For the rest of you, let me be completely honest and say that when I sat down to read this anthology, I was really nervous.

I really admired Veronica and Tom for putting this anthology together. It's not just a cool idea, it's a vital thing. Anthologies that focus on new writers are really important.

Everyone knows it's hard for new writers to get noticed. Anthologies like this help new authors get their foot in the door, so to speak.

I know this for a fact, because an anthology like this helped get me my start as a writer. When I was published in Writers of the Future back in 2002, it opened up doors for me.

So I admired the hell out of Tom and Veronica for giving new-writers a chance to get a leg up. But at the same time, I when I heard Sword and Laser was putting out an anthology, I was worried for them. What's more, I was worried about the anthology itself.

Why? Because I've read submissions for writing contests. I've read stories at writer's workshops. I've taught writing classes. I've read submissions for a few anthologies myself.

In short, I know how many really awful stories are out there.

That sounds harsh. But it's the simple truth. Bad stories outnumber good ones about 50 to 1. And good stories outnumber great ones about 10 to 1. That's the harsh mathmatics of the situation.

I know this better than anyone. Not just because I've read slush. But because I've *written* awful stories. More awful stories than good ones. Many more.

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

But who wants to read a story that's just "good enough? Not me. I want stories that are great. I want cleverness. I want wit and language and magic. I want to be surprised. I want to be dazzled.

I want brilliant stories. And I'm guessing you do too.

I was not expecting to get that here. But I did. Some of these stories show brilliance. And not just flashes of brilliance, either. Not just a thin gilding of brilliance over the surface of a clunky tin meh. I'm talking about solid brilliance.

Simply said, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.

Now am I saying that you'll love every story in here? No. That's a ridiculous expectation. Because everyone enjoys different flavors of story.

And honestly, that's one of the strengths of this anthology. There's enough variety here that no matter what you enjoy, you're probably going to find something to your taste.

Okay. That's enough from me. I'm just the opening band. Quit reading my ramble and check out the real stories.

:yikes:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I can't get over how cardboard that rambling mess of hasty little sentences is, especially compared to Kingkiller's floridity. It reads like some clickbait piece farted out in ten minutes.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
it was from a goodreads auto recommendation, swords and lasers or something.

i'm glad it resonated as deeply with you all as much as it did with me

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

My favorite part is how he can't even single out anything for praise. "Yeah it's good I guess. Some parts are real good. You might not like it all, though."

I just get the impression he didn't actually read the anthology. He didn't even name a single author or story in it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, there's a strong "writing about something you've never read and didn't even look up a synopsis for, so you're going off the vaguest scraps of osmosed knowledge" feeling there. Whoever said it would get an F as a book report was right on.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

quote:

And because I've acted as editor-in-chief before, if only in a small way, I know that sometimes, after reading 40 bad stories, you throw up your hands and just say, "Fine. gently caress! We need to put *something* in this anthology. That story about the mutant in the woods is good enough."

Really appreciate this insight into Rothfuss's editing process.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Mutant in the Woods: An Autobiography by Patrick Rothfuss

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Someone he felt obligated to or was trying to cozy up to wanted him to review it, but he could be arsed to read the book. So he made up this fake rant that gives no specifics to satisfy the requirement, probably just like he did for most of his term papers when he was an undergrad for 20 years.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pacho posted:

Liveship Traders Trilogy and The Left Hand of Darkness. Liveship Traders Trilogy also doubles up as "ASoIaF with an ending"

While liveship traders is decent overall, the first hundred or so pages has main characters competing for the title of World’s Biggest rear end in a top hat. There’s a clear winner early on and once that slow start is dealt with the series is better but be warned the series start is... not great.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BananaNutkins posted:

Someone he felt obligated to or was trying to cozy up to wanted him to review it,
It's the introduction to the actual book. He was literally paid to write it.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A translation has apparently been set for release, but it isn't out yet.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I wrote a bonfire post. I think it's interesting and worth discussing at least.

I'll give it a whirl then, when it arrives

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It's the introduction to the actual book. He was literally paid to write it.

To be far, he also posted the introduction as a review, because he wasn't just lazy enough to write an introduction to an anthology he never read before... He also recycled the introduction as a review for the anthology that he never read.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

The artist for that Rick & Morty comic was at a local con. I asked him what it was like working with Patrick Rothfuss, hoping for some dirt. He said Rothfuss was great to work with and that he was a really busy guy and that obviously this was a major passion project for him since this his time was so precious.

I think he picked up on the fact I wasn't going to buy anything and wasn't really interested in his answer so the conversation died off from there.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Come And See posted:

He said Rothfuss was great to work with and that he was a really busy guy and that obviously this was a major passion project for him since this his time was so precious.
it's a code. rothfuss has stolen his children, and we need to solve three riddles before he'll give them any food

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Come And See posted:

The artist for that Rick & Morty comic was at a local con. I asked him what it He said Rothfuss was great to work with and that he was a really busy guy and that obviously this was a major passion project for him since this his time was so precious.

I wonder what's keeping him so busy, not writing can only take up a couple hours a day I would think.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Is he still teaching? That could explain why he has so little time.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Made it to "artisanal auditory delectation" before my eyes reflexively snapped shut.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

He's such an insufferable piece of poo poo. And he doesn't make a living writing, he makes a living off writing he did years and years ago. If he was some kind of word putter togetherer he might understand the difference.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read that whole thing and still don't know what adventure zone is. Is it like a Chucky Cheese?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

ElGroucho posted:

I read that whole thing and still don't know what adventure zone is. Is it like a Chucky Cheese?
It is an audio recording of a D&D game.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

this is not a well written introduction. its weirdly self congratulatory on Rothfuss for listening to the McElroys and he doesn’t actually get to explaining what the Adventure Zone is, who worked on it, why it is a good purchase and what makes it a fun product until the final two paragraphs. excuse me but shouldn’t an introduction be talking about what makes that book and its authors & artists special? it definitely shouldn’t have like five paragraphs where the intro writer talks about what a cool guy he is for doing something daring like...listening to podcasts.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

This is why I don't read stunt casting introductions.

HIJK is spot on.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

HIJK posted:

this is not a well written introduction. its weirdly self congratulatory on Rothfuss for listening to the McElroys and he doesn’t actually get to explaining what the Adventure Zone is, who worked on it, why it is a good purchase and what makes it a fun product until the final two paragraphs. excuse me but shouldn’t an introduction be talking about what makes that book and its authors & artists special? it definitely shouldn’t have like five paragraphs where the intro writer talks about what a cool guy he is for doing something daring like...listening to podcasts.

It's kind of Trumpesque. Trump is basically famous for talking about how rich and famous Trump is. Rothfuss seems to have gotten onto the same grift train somehow.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It’s weirdly self-congratulatory will be GRRM’s introduction to Rothfuss’s memoir

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

pseudanonymous posted:

It's kind of Trumpesque. Trump is basically famous for talking about how rich and famous Trump is. Rothfuss seems to have gotten onto the same grift train somehow.

Probably the ego-is-bigger-than-your-actual-ability thing. They both got famous for one or a couple of things and they’re both riding that into positions they haven’t actually earned.

This whole Rothfuss situation is remarkably frustrating. He does everything wrong but because he found a niche with fantasy readers he gets a blank check on everything. And he’s not even that offensive, he’s just kind of a douche who refuses to polish what talent he might actually have.

Rothfuss is like the Eragon kid as an adult. Except the Eragon kid actually finished his series.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the eragon kid was a hero of my generation and i respect him for his calm and composure under the strain of unimaginable public humiliation

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

The Eragon guy also has a good sense of humor iirc

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
gently caress i hated him when i was 16 though lmao

"oh, you're so young to be writing a fantasy novel - like that little boy in america!"
"i am nothing like that little boy in america my fantasy novel is literature"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

nankeen posted:

gently caress i hated him when i was 16 though lmao

"oh, you're so young to be writing a fantasy novel - like that little boy in america!"
"i am nothing like that little boy in america my fantasy novel is literature"

"No, my writing isn't poo poo, mom"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

the old ceremony posted:

all through high school i was working on a hundred thousand word pastoral travelling scene that i called a novel, all the adults in my life encouraged me because they were all certain i'd be published on the basis of my age alone and at least make a few novelty bucks out of it, and i hated christopher paolini with fierce, theatrical violence. i loathed that man. sometimes i would open my copy of eragon, which was given to me by my sweetest cousin who later committed suicide so i simultaneously despised the book and was driven to hold onto it like a talisman, and stare at paolini's author portrait in silent hatred. of course i never got published and now i'm almost thirty and my youthful promise has gurgled down the twin infested drains of university education and the global financial crisis. i am haunted by paolini. the toilet paper comes away from my rear end with his face smeared onto it like a jesus toast. i see him in the rainless clouds. when i catch the bus to my welfare appointments, where a tired-looking woman tries to convince me to get a certificate in aged care and spend the rest of my life scrubbing the elderly, the bus driver with his competitive hourly rate and his union membership and his loving long-service leave is christopher paolini. the welfare lady is paolini. the elderly are paolini. i look at myself in the mirror and all i see is the teenage paolini, proudly smirking. worst of all i think eragon survives as something like a perfect cultural object, a fantasy novel that was written by an actual adolescent rather than the psychosexually adolescent adults that populate the genre and this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

It's a podcast where three brothers and their dad stumble through a lengthy D&D campaign. It's not perfect, but I was entertained (up until 'The Suffering Game' arc).

It became successful enough to have a graphic novel made, retelling the mostly-improvised story from the beginning. It was cute.

My friend gave me the book as a gift. I read the introduction aloud to him and told him both he and Rothfuss could go gently caress themselves.