Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Rainbow but it's forgotten minor anime characters in the same baseball league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

They would have lost to Vegeta if Yajirobe didn't exist, in the same way that the Saki's wouldn't win if they didn't get their tacos.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Based on my limited experience with Saki the guys only show up to deliver tacos.

It is a noble calling.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Taco delivery is an important part of any modern technological civilization.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

they got a lot of screentime at the start! they're just yamcha. yamcha was a main character at one point.
yeah, okay in fairness to Boy (I forget his name), he gets a lot of credit for introducing saki to mahjong club in chapter 1

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/the_owl_site/status/1126201281331306497

also really good interview with the dev of some jp indie vns about trans issues, if that interests you at all i recommend checking it out (and reading their VNs)
These games are good,

A recommend from me, professional video game liker

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

actually given he just shows up to deliver food maybe yajirobe would be a better comparison

Yajirobe was more useful than yamcha

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

That background is lovely, tho

Miki is best

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/horngal/status/1122895476905467905?s=21

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Polsy posted:

Miki is best

Yui is the best

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taco guy was probably only in Saki cause of editors but I've seen him in some chapters in the background so guys exist its just all the girls are gay and it's cool Ritz can do that in her series

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You know there's a guy in saki right from the start right?

He gets saki into mahjong, he's integral to the plot

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Meant more recent chapters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Death to those who disparage mahjong lad

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I have decided that the upside to sudden crippling insomnia is lots more time to watch anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk the framing of 'guys don't exist' in a series where theres a lot of yuri subtext is kind of uncomfortable 'cause it feels like 'ofc if guys did exist...'

like obviously there's series that do lean super hard into the 'guys dont exist' thing but saki isnt really one of them, even ignoring Taco Lad you see dudes bebopping around occasionally and some of them even get names and roles to play in the story, they just arent important to the story. so framing it like 'ah, guys dont exist' feels really off, to me, fursonally

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I seem to recall that the taco girl does some low key flirting with mahjong lad early on

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

I guess I'm going to jail

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I guess I'm going to jail

:same:

Also I should keep that tweet in mind for the SGDQ thread.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm glad GDQ threads went from being extremely scandalized by Shantae to being extremely horny for squids

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I'm glad GDQ threads went from being extremely scandalized by Shantae to being extremely horny for squids

Don’t forget “horny, comfy, Pepsi.”

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

idk the framing of 'guys don't exist' in a series where theres a lot of yuri subtext is kind of uncomfortable 'cause it feels like 'ofc if guys did exist...'

like obviously there's series that do lean super hard into the 'guys dont exist' thing but saki isnt really one of them, even ignoring Taco Lad you see dudes bebopping around occasionally and some of them even get names and roles to play in the story, they just arent important to the story. so framing it like 'ah, guys dont exist' feels really off, to me, fursonally

Ritz's blog post wasn't sayings guys don't exist, the 100% do in Saki beyond Taco guy. She was just saying that half of the world in her series is gay (or bi) and that the gay couple use IPS.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
endorph was prob referring to chumbler posting

chumbler posted:

Well, roughly 50% of the population has already disappeared in both.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
which is a weird statement in the context of slow start too cause the main character's got a dad who appears in a few episodes

it's just another character has lesbian grandmas and another character is just the mangaka's saki daughter oc

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

People were scandalized by Shantae? I mean she's just wearing her girlfriend's clothes while they road trip to get the girlfriend's stuff back.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

DoubleDonut posted:

FAU Was Right

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The global enemy that has been eradicated in Saki is underpants

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

FAU Was Right

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, since i've never actually seen this i guess now's maybe the time

https://vrv.co/watch/G63V2WV9Y/Otaku-No-Video

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

a kitten posted:

Huh, since i've never actually seen this i guess now's maybe the time

https://vrv.co/watch/G63V2WV9Y/Otaku-No-Video

It's okay, as a dramatized recreation of how Gainax cane to be. The interview stuff was really forgettable for me though.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

I was extremely not glad for that

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Endorph posted:

Ichirin is just Unzan's hitbox.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Ichirin is just Unzan's hitbox.

rinnosuke's actually a cool character though

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Rinnosuke is a dweeb, throw rocks at him.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Is Rinnosuke actually interesting though? I've never read his official material, but in every doujin he's in he's either used as a deus ex machina to solve whatever the problem is or he's namedropped to explain where Marisa got this bong.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean being a witch's weed dealer is pretty cool

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Rinnosuke is good because he makes things up as he goes and thinks he's really smart, but he's actually a dumbass.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

its hosed up that yukari stole his gameboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rinnosuke is very relatable. for example, he'd rather stay home when people invite him to parties