Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

"I didn't see the e-mail until 6:30"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Props to whoever mentioned It Can Happen Here. Perfect length for the drive to/from the farm.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EBB posted:

"I didn't see the e-mail until 6:30"

"I didn't check my email until 9 am, what happened?"

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Am I back in the military?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I could have ignored it and come in at my usual time without negative consequences. Or I could have attended and gotten stuff that’ll help my career. I opted to go and tell my team not to worry, I’ll handle it.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

at detective pikachu with my kid

just watched the sonic trailer

wtf

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

at detective pikachu with my kid

just watched the sonic trailer

wtf

Did they fix the sonic animation yet or does it still look like a kid in a hedgehog fur suit?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

no its the og one, we wont see a fixed one for weeks

didnt know jim carrey was playing robotnik, kinda wanna see that

also detective pikachu wasnt bad at all. felt very much like the first sam raimi spiderman movie.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 9, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

More than weeks. CGI is time intensive as hell.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

More than weeks. CGI is time intensive as hell.

they'll poop something out quick for investors, like a photo or something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

they'll poop something out quick for investors, like a photo or something
I hope it's just as bad if not worse and they have to start over again. and they have to reshoot half the movie to add Logan Paul in blackface as Sonic's sidekick.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

wait you mean tails or shadow

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Started my new job/role. Work is more interesting but holy gently caress I hate imposter syndrome so much right now. First assignment I got involved looking at a few thousand pages of manuscripts and correspondence from 1790-1859. RIP my eye sight.

Old boss gave me a bottle of Lagavulin 16yr as a going away gift so that was nice.

And tomorrow I have my friends funeral at Arlington to go to. That's gonna be a rough.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm being asked to stay on my current contract because they're afraid of it disintegrating if they bring in someone new in my position, as I am the only person in a long line that has managed to wrangle the workstream and tolerate the client*

* I hate my client and I tell my bosses that regularly, but my predecessors have had nervous breakdowns over it or left the firm entirely to escape so I've got that going for me

My response thus far has been "That's going to cost you a lot of fuckin' money then"

edit: the best rationale to impostor syndrome is that if you were in fact an impostor, they're bigger idiots for falling for your con so take their money

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 9, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

you will hate your life if you stay

i say gently caress it and get another bullet for your resume

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My portfolio is moving pretty soon to a vastly different environment so things might change pretty radically. I don't know.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

is it still dealing with the same people?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Vasudus posted:

My portfolio is moving pretty soon to a vastly different environment so things might change pretty radically. I don't know.

From what I've read you have a pretty good ability to either compartmentalize the BS or your like me and actively enjoy the absurdity. Would they pay you enough extra to get something that is actually a quality of life improvement or is it going to be just enough to be tempting. One is worth it the other is worth pointing out to them that it not enough to improve your life permanently in any meaningful capacity.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you will hate your life if you stay

i say gently caress it and get another bullet for your resume

Agreed with this. Cut and run vas, you don't need to deal with this poo poo long term.

Vasudus posted:

edit: the best rationale to impostor syndrome is that if you were in fact an impostor, they're bigger idiots for falling for your con so take their money

Yeah this is true. The good news is, I've known most of the people on my new team for years so I'm pretty at ease with most of them. Also the other new person on the team and I are both openly stating that we know we're going to be asking a gently caress ton of what seem like simple questions as we start out and the response we've gotten is "please ask all the questions you want, no matter how dumb you might think it is".

Also hearing our manager basically state flat out "Everyone on this team deals with impostor syndrome at various points throughout the year, don't think you're alone on that front" has helped ease my anxiety.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Handsome Ralph posted:

First assignment I got involved looking at a few thousand pages of manuscripts and correspondence from 1790-1859. RIP my eye sight.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Can you say what kind of work it is?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Melthir posted:

From what I've read you have a pretty good ability to either compartmentalize the BS or your like me and actively enjoy the absurdity. Would they pay you enough extra to get something that is actually a quality of life improvement or is it going to be just enough to be tempting. One is worth it the other is worth pointing out to them that it not enough to improve your life permanently in any meaningful capacity.

I can largely compartmentalize it, unlike many of my peers. My background is relatively unique in this field so I have a reputation of being able to handle the absolute worst clients. And that's what I have; the worst client in the entire health account. But I do hate them and it's draining on me having to constantly reassure my staff well, well beyond what normally would be required.

Going to another project without a change in status one way or the other (increased responsibility/position/etc.) doesn't result in a pay bump. It's one of the major pitfalls of this industry, you have to constantly improve yourself or you'll never get anywhere, so the common thing people do is change companies. I'm getting a certification in a month or so (LSSBB) that'll bump me up another ~8k/year regardless of my position. I'm going to be hitting 5 years in September and I'm pretty much exactly where I expected I would be when I first made my career roadmap, so I've made another one for the next 5. I'm making almost exactly double from when I started.

If I switch over to an NGB contract that I was offered it's a lateral move, so I would be doing it mostly to get away from my current client. If I switch to a VA contract I was offered it would be a lot of process improvement (six sigma) stuff which would probably be another bump independent of other things simply because it would involve management of more people (bumped up to 6-7). There's other options that I'm exploring, there's lots of places to go but that's what opened up to me with a bit of digging.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

is it still dealing with the same people?

Where I am is somewhat...unique right now. Without getting into too many details, my client is basically completely unsupervised and unaccounted for and has been for years. That stops very, very soon and we're going to a place that is the exact opposite. There's a possibility that the entire portfolio is chopped up for spare parts next week, in any one of several upcoming meetings. So it's basically ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

joat mon posted:

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Can you say what kind of work it is?

Without doxxing myself, I work on a history product for a large academic publishing company. I basically get paid to analyze and pore over primary source documents all day.

It's an awesome job (literally have been wanting to get in on this job for years while I worked my previous gig at the same company) despite how boring some of the source material can be sometimes. Also pretty good life balance too, which is a nice bonus.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

we're just looking out for you vas. its obvious its a stressful workplace and you know better than us about what lie ahead and the level of bs you can handle. sorry if i sounded lovely/curt.

the cert stuff totally makes sense, and if it's worth that poo poo to grab extra certs and stuff then its a good move

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's how I want to spend some of my free time in the near future.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
nah it's cool my dudes

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0URTsAosUCw

its a very good interview from 2015

https://www.mixcloud.com/spaceballers/howard-stern-interviews-conan-obrien-02-25-2015/

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sonic CGI is bad cause they spent all the funding on Jim Carrey.

I want to see it solely for 90s Jim Carrey

Wait never mind 90s Jim was funny because I was 10

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I too remember talking out of my butt

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Most people I've met that have been at a big 3 last like a year to two tops. VAS has been doing it for 5+???, therefore he isn't people anymore. I wouldn't worry about him based on that alone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sonic CGI is bad cause they spent all the funding on Jim Carrey.

I want to see it solely for 90s Jim Carrey

Wait never mind 90s Jim was funny because I was 10

after seeing the trailer i wanted to see it more just for the jim carrey stuff tbh

sonic characters are weird af in general and having someone who can ham it up like him is pretty dang worthwhile

plus they're reworking how poo poo sonic looks so w/e ill catch it on streaming and laugh

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

bengy81 posted:

Most people I've met that have been at a big 3 last like a year to two tops. VAS has been doing it for 5+???, therefore he isn't people anymore. I wouldn't worry about him based on that alone.

There's a lot of different factors that play into turnover. Washout rate (one way or the other) at 2 years is about 80-85%. Even though we don't use an up-or-out system (hardly anybody does, because they're dumb as poo poo) that doesn't mean you can stand still. The environment constantly encourages you to improve yourself, and failing to do that results in getting a 3-5% raise every year and left alone, wondering why nobody is paying you more or asking you to do special projects or proposals. Junior staff in particular will bounce around between companies at the junior/mid level forever and never build any equity, then eventually wonder why nobody wants to pay them more.

For my particular career progression it was mid level analyst (because I had my MS) -> senior analyst -> task lead -> workstream lead. Next stop is contract-level management but that's still a year or two off probably, as it gets exponentially harder as you climb the ladder as one would expect.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Vasudus posted:

There's a lot of different factors that play into turnover. Washout rate (one way or the other) at 2 years is about 80-85%. Even though we don't use an up-or-out system (hardly anybody does, because they're dumb as poo poo) that doesn't mean you can stand still. The environment constantly encourages you to improve yourself, and failing to do that results in getting a 3-5% raise every year and left alone, wondering why nobody is paying you more or asking you to do special projects or proposals. Junior staff in particular will bounce around between companies at the junior/mid level forever and never build any equity, then eventually wonder why nobody wants to pay them more.

For my particular career progression it was mid level analyst (because I had my MS) -> senior analyst -> task lead -> workstream lead. Next stop is contract-level management but that's still a year or two off probably, as it gets exponentially harder as you climb the ladder as one would expect.

I've always been curious about big 3 life, but between not wanting to move to a major metro area, and not being able to pursue higher education it's going to remain a curiosity. So basically keep posting about your job because its entertaining to read about.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

after seeing the trailer i wanted to see it more just for the jim carrey stuff tbh

sonic characters are weird af in general and having someone who can ham it up like him is pretty dang worthwhile

plus they're reworking how poo poo sonic looks so w/e ill catch it on streaming and laugh

I think we talked about this in Discord but I too am a big Jim Carrey fan. He pretty much killed his career with Man on the Moon though and ever since he got broken he's been pretty far out there. It's a shame too because he is a better actor than his slap stick Ace Ventura or The Mask personas would have people believe. He was really fantastic in The Truman Show (which is one of my favorite movies) and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless mind showed how well he could do drama.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

have you seen i love you phillip morris

bc if not you def should, he was extremely good in it. id put it right there with turman show/eternal sunshine

he def lost it doing kaufman, that's 100% documented and apparent.

He is out there now, but he does talk a lot of truth about his fight with depression and seems like he's come a long way since then. idk ive gone through a lot of poo poo with depression and recovery from that, he's speaking from that place.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bitches better not be leaving out The Majestic.

I think it's the only Jim Carrey movie where Bruce Campbell has a bit role.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well gently caress. Goddamn charging port on this moto x4 is toast. Ordered a pixel 3a, so we'll see how that goes when it gets here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Weirdly, Jim Carrey is in to painting politics. Probably one of the more therapeutic approaches to the current hell world I guess.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he shows his art studio in comedians with cars and hes def super all about it

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yo, if you haven’t watched the first episode of the Chernobyl miniseries that began this week on HBO, you are missing out.

Holy. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

how many episodes? ill wait till its done and binge it