Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

So I Googled "most lied topic internet" and most of the examples I uncovered were not at all height related, but money related.

Yeah money is way easier to lie about than height but I lie about both all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

man the way the show handwaves away the obvious solution to dany+jon's dynastic dispute (marriage) is bad

like yeah usually the showrunners and most of the audience are comfortable handwaving away Feudalism Stuff

but that was bad enough even all the casuals i know are calling it out

d&d...if you want there to be tension over two characters' competing inheritance claims... dont make them be lovers first

Its Coke posted:

Who's Sanderson

brandon sanderson is a fantasy author whose chief virtue is the ability to write ten trillion words per year

dude has books the way the american president has legal settlements

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 11, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kit Harington is definitely only 5'6 or 5'7.

As a man who is 6'4: Lol
As a man who is not married to Rose Leslie: well gently caress

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cardiac posted:

Someone who writes RPGs.

dis

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m pretty sure the books will end with Jon killing Dany. We know Martin told Dungeons and Dragons the ending and where characters end up, but since he hadn’t written it, Donald and Duck are just writing what’s easy; romance. It could work if it had more time to have impact. The show could’ve used a few more seasons methinks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m pretty sure the books will end with Jon killing Dany. We know Martin told Dungeons and Dragons the ending and where characters end up, but since he hadn’t written it, Donald and Duck are just writing what’s easy; romance. It could work if it had more time to have impact. The show could’ve used a few more seasons methinks.

It could've been quite dramatic, with Dany going increasingly mad with power but coming to save the north from the White Walkers and then descending on Kings Landing and saying burn them all or something just like her Father did, but the way it's set up now just feels like they are trying to get to the end and forcing it.

At least a season for the white walkers or something, they were set up as this existential threat, then basically ignored, they blow through the wall, then they kill the night king guy in one episode...

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Brandon Sanderson. He's a Mormon fantasy author who shits out books constantly, uses rape as a setting device a lot, he got a big career boost because he was chosen to finish the Wheel of Time series when the author died. He did an extremely sub-par job in my opinion.

Not a fan of Sanderson, but I don't think I ever heard that particular criticism. Is that a thing or did you mix up your RPG writers?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

genericnick posted:

Not a fan of Sanderson, but I don't think I ever heard that particular criticism. Is that a thing or did you mix up your RPG writers?

quote:

This aspect of the world–the fact that noblemen regularly rape, then kill, peasant women–is the most discomforting to me. I don’t like my books to be overly sexual in nature. However, there is a difference between having sexual books and having sex in the books, I think. This is a very corrupt and fallen society, in many ways. I think I had to include this aspect to show just how terrible it is.

In addition, I wanted this scene to be shocking because I hoped to put the reader in Vin’s shoes. You all know that this sort of thing happens in noble society–in the prologue, a nobleman tries to rape a young girl, after all. But, I hope that you–like Vin–have kind of glossed over that sort of thing in your mind. Seeing people like Elend, and the pretty balls, has helped you forget about the terrible things these people do. So, when Dockson lays it out so bluntly, I hope that it is surprising.

Maybe he doesn't do it a lot? Most of my criticism of Sanderson is 2nd hand so maybe it's just the one series where he uses it to define the setting.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

SirKibbles posted:

I swear I thought GRRM posting an update about an update was someone making a joke but he actually did it

I interpreted it as 'I hope the next update will be that the Winds of Winter is finished.'

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

PupsOfWar posted:

man the way the show handwaves away the obvious solution to dany+jon's dynastic dispute (marriage) is bad

like yeah usually the showrunners and most of the audience are comfortable handwaving away Feudalism Stuff

but that was bad enough even all the casuals i know are calling it out

d&d...if you want there to be tension over two characters' competing inheritance claims... dont make them be lovers first

I dunno seems to fit with feudalism that Dany is afraid she'll become the queen consort instead of the queen regnant

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Varys says the problem is that northerners won't consent to be ruled be a nephew-fucker, despite having been ruled by sibling-fuckers for hundreds of years. Also that Jon is a tool who'll do whatever Dany says. That second one is believable enough, I guess.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Its Coke posted:

I dunno seems to fit with feudalism that Dany is afraid she'll become the queen consort instead of the queen regnant

That's just monarchy. Feudalism is about relationships between different players within an aristocracy, rights and obligations that sort of thing. It can also refer to how this operates in society as a whole. Also exactly what feudalism was is often very vague and it's often disputed if it even can be defined outside of specific national or regional examples.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Maybe he doesn't do it a lot? Most of my criticism of Sanderson is 2nd hand so maybe it's just the one series where he uses it to define the setting.

sandersons books have almost zero sex of any kind bc they are for children

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Varys says the problem is that northerners won't consent to be ruled be a nephew-fucker, despite having been ruled by sibling-fuckers for hundreds of years. Also that Jon is a tool who'll do whatever Dany says. That second one is believable enough, I guess.

Varys is clearly just done with Dany. He thinks Jon'd be a better ruler without her influence. He's just trying to convince Tyrion.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Does anyone care that Jon is a zombie? Like, has it even been mentioned at all past the ‘I didn’t’ line he gives Arya? I’d think in a society that just fought hordes of zombies in a battle for existence that’s he’d be at least a little suspect.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

TK-42-1 posted:

Does anyone care that Jon is a zombie? Like, has it even been mentioned at all past the ‘I didn’t’ line he gives Arya? I’d think in a society that just fought hordes of zombies in a battle for existence that’s he’d be at least a little suspect.

tormund made a joke about it and that was it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

tormund made a joke about it and that was it.

i haven’t brought myself to watch the last episode yet so i assume it was something along the lines of ‘so did the red witch bring your pecker back to life too or do i need to go give the queen a bit o time? HAR!’

i will not be reading replies.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

With all the poo poo they’ve seen and been through, plus Beric Dondarrion still around until season 8, I don’t see why anyone would give a poo poo. Plus Jon has emphasized he doesn’t really want it brought up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man remember what an absolute botch Cat makes of the entire situation by capturing the hated son of the richest man and de facto king of the world to set up horrible tensions between both halves of the world and then unwittingly sets him free making the whole point moot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Man remember what an absolute botch Cat makes of the entire situation by capturing the hated son of the richest man and de facto king of the world to set up horrible tensions between both halves of the world and then unwittingly sets him free making the whole point moot

Oh, it was stupider than that, she intentionally sets him free.

Cat and Ned were perfect for each other.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The seeming most reliable spoiler dude is saying Cersei and Jaime die in a building collapse in the next episode.

Why the gently caress are you going to have the two go out together but deliberately not have it a valonqar thing? I don't know what the runners get out of that besides "haha gently caress you people who care about the show/series/books enough to invest!" moment?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kit Harington is definitely only 5'6 or 5'7.

As a man who is 6'4: Lol
As a man who is not married to Rose Leslie: well gently caress

You are probably only 6'2.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s neat to reread the books. Anyone first going thru the show or books will feel bad for Ned and Cat. But I loving cringe every time I sit and watch Ned tell Cersei, to her face, her secret that will tear her apart and the kingdom. You dumb loving gently caress you got what you deserved you ignorant piece of poo poo.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Its Coke posted:

i could see this becoming an issue with any hypothetical alliance between Dany and fake Aegon in the books

fake Aegon was raised by jon connington and probably has very conservative gender beliefs, plus the conspirators backing him would expect control - dany chould easily fear being reduced to a powerless figurehead like most of the Targaryen royal consorts were.

in the show, however, we're only dealing with Jon, who has no interest in ruling and doesn't have any conspirators backing him (other than sansa, who daenerys does not yet appear to realize is a threat to her)

iirc tyrion and varys even admit that, in any co-rulership situation, jon would just get steamrolled

jon-dany marriage seems win-win to me. For jon and dany, at least. dany resolves the competing claim and gets a husband who wouldn't attempt to control her, jon secures a permanent obligation from Dany to protect his family and people.

TK-42-1 posted:

i wonder if rhllor zombies can reproduce

like, the show seems to have forgotten that there are side effects of resurrection

but in the books it seems like they're...not really 100% alive anymore
maybe some of their biological functions are different.

i could imagine this being a plot point
if a point against Dany being ruler is that she is infertile due to Curse, but it turns out jon is also infertile due to Zombie

chaosapiant posted:

even if Mad Queen Dany is endgame in the books (which, probably), idk if jon killing her is set in stone

i can imagine various ways in which she could step down from the Mad Queen ledge, as it were, that would still fulfill the "bittersweet ending" thing

a lot of dany's arc is about contradictions in what she wants
having her cake & eating it, etc.
all this meandering with her story arc that we complain about - what it establishes is that she can't be both a liberator and a hegemon, she can't be both a conqueror and a healer, etc. etc.
this is the central tension of dany as a character
and there are a lot of ways it could be resolved.

if, after her failures in westeros, she gave up on being queen, melted the iron throne, and returned to Essos to dedicate the rest of her life to ending slavery, I think that would be bittersweet. It costs her her lifelong dream, but it's what her surrogate family - the people she has liberated - probably need her to do.

if she saved westeros from the Others, then died defeating Aegon in a new Dance of the Dragons, leaving no major claimants to the throne, i think that would be bittersweet.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 11, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

You are probably only 6'2.

I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

better go get the bleach i guess

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Why did they even have to finish the series now? Did they run out of places to store money?

The end is obviously being rushed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Katt posted:

Why did they even have to finish the series now? Did they run out of places to store money?

The end is obviously being rushed.

They wanted to get ahead of gurm. He was nearly done with the three missing books (he decided to write a third one that was just an extended animal house esque where are they now credits sequence

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe they didn’t want to keep giving pay raises to the plot armor characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They did the same thing Lost did. They called the shot too early and whiffed it so hard their pants fell off and then scrambled to pretend they hit a home run.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The whole 'Ghost died on his way to his home planet' thing is like D&D in a nutshell. They didn't 'get' or care about the Direwolves, only included them as much as they needed to to stay loyal to the story, and then when they couldn't figure out what else to do with them they just hurriedly wrote them out of the show in a perfunctory manner.

They did the same poo poo with Stannis. Why did they even have Stannis show up in the show after like, season 4 anyway? They coulda just let him gently caress off to Dragonstone for the rest of the series. It amounted to the same poo poo.

They can't even be bothered to write up characters for Cersei to talk to in Kings Landing. Its literally just her and Qyburn, and she just stands there and frowns for ENTIRE SEASONS

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
TBH characters having fantastic pets is a lot cheaper and easier to include in a book than a show, both for FX reasons and because it's a lot more organic to mention how they're doing from time to time and how that makes the PoV character feels when it's written rather than shown.

If the Absolute Fucker had his poo poo together they probably wouldn't even have included them because they'd realize that storyline goes nowhere.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I also think 'Dany goes mad, Jon kills her' ending owns on so many levels. One : it's gonna piss off people who love Daenerys a lot. Two: It could have been set up significantly better, but because of awful writing and a lack of range on Clarke's part, its gonna come across as totally unearned and stupid, a shock ending. Three: I don't really have a three, I love one and two so much.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mike N Eich posted:

I also think 'Dany goes mad, Jon kills her' ending owns on so many levels. One : it's gonna piss off people who love Daenerys a lot. Two: It could have been set up significantly better, but because of awful writing and a lack of range on Clarke's part, its gonna come across as totally unearned and stupid, a shock ending. Three: I don't really have a three, I love one and two so much.

The flood of thinkpieces about "No, Wait, Subverting Expectations Is Unwoke Now" is gonna be magical.

I'd actually respect D&D more if they gave us a full on Yass Queen ending and made at least one part of their audience happy. But no, they're just hacks who can't even do pandering correctly and are gonna piss everyone off. :allears:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

YaketySass posted:

I'd actually respect D&D more if they gave us a full on Yass Queen ending and made at least one part of their audience happy. But no, they're just hacks who can't even do pandering correctly and are gonna piss everyone off. :allears:

Why would you want any part of this trainwreck's audience to have a happy ending?

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Mike N Eich posted:

The whole 'Ghost died on his way to his home planet' thing is like D&D in a nutshell. They didn't 'get' or care about the Direwolves, only included them as much as they needed to to stay loyal to the story, and then when they couldn't figure out what else to do with them they just hurriedly wrote them out of the show in a perfunctory manner.

They did the same poo poo with Stannis. Why did they even have Stannis show up in the show after like, season 4 anyway? They coulda just let him gently caress off to Dragonstone for the rest of the series. It amounted to the same poo poo.

They can't even be bothered to write up characters for Cersei to talk to in Kings Landing. Its literally just her and Qyburn, and she just stands there and frowns for ENTIRE SEASONS

the best thing about this terrible tv show is when they first show stannis they play the imperial march and try to make him evil and still like 90% of the people watching the show rooted for him anyway.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

the best thing about this terrible tv show is when they first show stannis they play the imperial march and try to make him evil and still like 90% of the people watching the show rooted for him anyway.

if there’s on nazi everyone likes it’s a grammar one

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Tyrion rejoins the Lannisters and rides Robert Strong into battle like Master Blaster.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
HBO gave D&D as much time, support and resources as they needed to produce whatever they envisioned and THIS is what they managed to come up with. Lucasfilm+Disney will be nowhere near as accommodating and you're swapping one rabid fanbase for an even worse one.

I can't wait.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Were we not supposed to root for Stannis?

I mean Ned died to make Stannis king and Renley is like "na I'm goona be king because it sounds like fun" Basically shattering the whole kingdom and unleashing death and devastation on the population he supposedly was so much more in touch with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhgr posted:

HBO gave D&D as much time, support and resources as they needed to produce whatever they envisioned and THIS is what they managed to come up with. Lucasfilm+Disney will be nowhere near as accommodating and you're swapping one rabid fanbase for an even worse one.

I can't wait.

What’s more, Kathleen Kennedy has no time for fuckups and fools. She fired Josh Trank and Colin Trevorrow before they even made it on set after Fan4astic and The Book of Henry turned out to be flaming trainwreck bombs that everyone hated. I think the public reaction to the last two episodes of Game of Thrones is going to torpedo their already stillborn Star Wars trilogy.

Also Phil Lord and Chris Miller got fired too, but that was because they made an actual good Star Wars movie and it scared everyone at Disney so they dragged Ron Howard out of his retirement home to safe it up a notch for them. So they don’t really count.