Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think I've had the entire manga wrong.

All Might is AfO's brother right? So, AfO gave OfA to someone and then they just passed it along to people and All Might was like, the seventh inheritor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I think I've had the entire manga wrong.

All Might is AfO's brother right?

No, the original OfA user was AfO's brother.

RareAcumen posted:

So, AfO gave OfA to someone and then they just passed it along to people and All Might was like, the seventh inheritor?

AfO gave his brother, a power stockpiling quirk, which then combined with his brother's ability to pass on quirks to create OfA,.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

sirtommygunn posted:

AfO gave his brother, a power stockpiling quirk, which then combined with his brother's ability to pass on quirks to create OfA,.

Yeah, so like how the Todoroki Siblings all have some combination of their parent's Quirks All for One and the original One for All user were brothers with Quirks related to the transference of Quirks. Although now that I think about it Tenya and his older brother are a better example, as they have roughly the same quirk manifesting in different bodyparts.

The Power Stockpiling Quirk was also considered useless, probably because it takes forever to achieve superhuman capabilities, with only All Might and maybe Nana actually being able to use it as a superhuman boost.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2019

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Eej posted:

Reach out and touch face

:golfclap:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It does seem odd that the All For One, with the ability to combine quirks to achieve functional immortality, was so quick to discard a power stockpiling quirk - it seems like he'd be the only one to make proper use of it, without knowing about the quirk transferal quirk.

Though I guess you can handwave that as the All For One who made that decision was more brash in his youth and wasn't really thinking in the long term scale of however many years its been since he gave his brother that quirk.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I took it to be super obvious that AfO gave his seemingly Quirkless brother that Quirk for the exact same reason he gave Quirks to actual Quirkless people: to create a debt that he would use to coerce them into joining him. That he miscalculated doesn't mean he just randomly threw away a Quirk in the spur of the moment or anything.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I thought he gave it to his weakling brother, who was nonetheless intent on stopping him, to mock him, because a "useless" person should have a "useless" quirk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we've never had a firsthand account of those events. it was just all might's understanding of it.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we've never had a firsthand account of those events. it was just all might's understanding of it.

Go read issue 193. Midoriya saw what actually happened through a vision provided by original OfA, ie a firsthand account of what happened.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Conot posted:

It does seem odd that the All For One, with the ability to combine quirks to achieve functional immortality, was so quick to discard a power stockpiling quirk - it seems like he'd be the only one to make proper use of it, without knowing about the quirk transferal quirk.
Actually, since All For One seems intent on remaining immortal, wouldn't a power stockpiling quirk be worthless to him? OFA is only as powerful as it is because seven people have cultivated it. In AFO's hands it would only contain the power that he already has and he lacked the transferring quirk to even think ahead about giving it to an heir.

Not that he would. There is only one Lord of the Quirks and he does not share power.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're immortal then a power stockpiling quirk is even better because you're constantly growing stronger by existing. Quirk transfer amplifying the power stockpiling is just an unexpected effect.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All for One gave it to him because it was a quirk his brothers sickly body could handle.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Eej posted:

If you're immortal then a power stockpiling quirk is even better because you're constantly growing stronger by existing. Quirk transfer amplifying the power stockpiling is just an unexpected effect.
I guess it depends on how you interpret "power stockpiling." I don't think it just gets stronger over time automatically, I think it just means it retains whatever power you build up while you possess it. All For One is insanely powerful, it's only by adding together generations of built up strength that All Might was able to challenge him. So their power, uh, scale ends up looking like this.

All For One: <-------------------------------------------------------->

One For All: <-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><-----><----->

If I'm wrong and it does get stronger automatically or it's like power in addition to your normal power then yeah maybe it'd be good for him but I think power stockpiling is on it's own just as useless as a quirk transferring quirk. It's only because they were forced into one vessel that they became something worthwhile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sirtommygunn posted:

Ohhhhhh, okay. I remembered the flashback but got things super confused beyond that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I guess it depends on how you interpret "power stockpiling." I don't think it just gets stronger over time automatically, I think it just means it retains whatever power you build up while you possess it. All For One is insanely powerful, it's only by adding together generations of built up strength that All Might was able to challenge him. So their power, uh, scale ends up looking like this.

If I'm wrong and it does get stronger automatically or it's like power in addition to your normal power then yeah maybe it'd be good for him but I think power stockpiling is on it's own just as useless as a quirk transferring quirk. It's only because they were forced into one vessel that they became something worthwhile.

It has to be power in addition to your existing strength because if it was just like a save file of your strength it wouldn't be a detectable quirk in the first place.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

I always figured it just kept a percentage of whatever you did, like the regenerative brakes on an electric car. Which was why it wrecks Midoriya so badly because the power growth ends up being basically exponential since a percentage of All Might's actions are that much stronger then Nana's which are that much stronger then 6 which are stronger then 5 etc.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If it didn't grow power over time, then why would everyone describe it as a stockpiling power? Wouldn't they call it a power that just makes you a little stronger? Or not be able to detect it as a power at all even.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I think both parts are correct on that: The quirk gets stronger based on the holder's strength (we've heard midoriya say before that it needs "cultivating", with images of working out) but it also grows gradually over time (hence being detectable at all)

Also an amusing thought: If quirks have a behavioral element (like being attracted to blood for Toga) does that mean One For All's original holder had really inexplicable urges to make others consume his DNA?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I assume it's basically like an investment, where you keep putting a little bit of your vitality in to build up the Quirk Factor over many years, rather than literally stockpiling energy or bodily power.

(Also, All Might didn't have even a fraction of the problems Deku is having — the risk of killing yourself with One For All is because Deku has no sense of self preservation, not because it's getting continuously stronger.)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rand Brittain posted:

(Also, All Might didn't have even a fraction of the problems Deku is having — the risk of killing yourself with One For All is because Deku has no sense of self preservation, not because it's getting continuously stronger.)

Are you sure? All Might became the greatest hero after all the predecessors managed to accomplish basically jack poo poo, Yagi spiked OFA's power in a single generation

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

Are you sure? All Might became the greatest hero after all the predecessors managed to accomplish basically jack poo poo, Yagi spiked OFA's power in a single generation

I think they would have achieved stuff, it is just that it took until All Might before anyone could match All For One in a fight.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
All Might could intuitively control OfA from the start. (On the surface at last. Dude's a spiritual dumbass.) The whole business of using his power to protect himself form his own power just made sense to him. That, and it probably wasn't as hard to do that with one less person's worth of stockpiling behind it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dr Subterfuge posted:

All Might could intuitively control OfA from the start. (On the surface at last. Dude's a spiritual dumbass.) The whole business of using his power to protect himself form his own power just made sense to him. That, and it probably wasn't as hard to do that with one less person's worth of stockpiling behind it.

All Might is also naturally 7 feet or taller and actually did a ton of bodybuilding. His muscle form is what he actually physically attained from exercise and training, the lanky form is after 5 years of wasting away to his injury and worsening health. His explanation of being a balloon is actually pretty accurate, he uses One for All to undo the wasting away for a short time, literally faking his old body.

He was also a few years older and much taller when he received the quirk and had been working out for a long time to be a hero, whereas Izuku had less then a year to be even able to wield it in the dangerous form it is now.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
New Chapter's Out

Okay, that last page/reveal may be the most terrifying thing I've yet to see in this entire series.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that line “I’ve been training so much I never even had time for school” is weirdly superfluous

unless we already know an ice-based quirk user related to Dabi who’s rarely been around because of their schooling

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

while you were busy attending school, I studied the blade

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not much to say about this chapter, except that I'm interested to see where this goes.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Twice can’t catch a break. This poo poo’s terrifying.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Twice can’t catch a break. This poo poo’s terrifying.

I expect this is going to lead to Twice confronting his past trauma and start cloning himself to fight his evil "clones" in order to protect Toga.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

poor twice

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dabi you're not allowed to throw stones about someone wasting their life.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo, if they mess my good evil boi Twice there will be blood! Hopefully via Toga clones!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RedMagus posted:

oh poo poo, if they mess my good evil boi Twice there will be blood! Hopefully via Toga clones!

Twice saves himself by cloning Toga, who then takes Twice's form and clones herself again, and so on and so on.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Part of what makes this arc so good is that because of the League's previous interactions with Overhaul, I'm legit not sure which members of the League are going to make it through this so I'm on the edge of my seat.

Edit: Okay that's only mostly true, Shigaraki is def making it through this.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Twice has the power to make clones of himself but didn't he also make a dabi clone during the camping trip? I forget the specifics about that power.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Dude can make clones of anyone assuming he has their dimensions and such. Don’t think he can copy their powers but considering what we just saw from Toga who knows what he might unlock.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
His clone of Dabi had powers. So did the Compress clone he used to dig himself out of Overhaul's lair.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only difference between a clone and the original (as far as we know) is that the clone is very fragile and can be destroyed pretty easily.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Twice can only make one clone, but that clone can also use the original's quirk, so Twice clones can continue cloning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kingtheninja posted:

Twice has the power to make clones of himself but didn't he also make a dabi clone during the camping trip? I forget the specifics about that power.

Twice can clone anyone once each (which means he can clone multiple people once at any given time, but not one person multiple times), and that clone has all the original's properties, including their quirks. Which means his own clones can each clone someone once, as well. Such as themself.

...and on, and on, and on, and on...which was basically his origin story, and why seeing multiples of himself is actually plausible to be real copies of himself, rather than obviously being someone else's quirk shenanigans.