Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Cross posting

Ignoring the obvious, just what the hell is going on with the ceiling anyway? Why did they lower it at all? Even if they're installed the chandelier where it's supposed to go, having the medallion up in that hole looks terrible.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Leperflesh posted:

The wiring in the box may be just to ground the outlet to its outlet box. Or, are you saying you see wiring coming into the box consisting of black, white, + a ground wire, but that ground wire isn't registering as grounded?

I don't recall what it looks like in the box - that's why I need to take a look. It's been a while since I was in there to replace a breaker. All the house wiring has a safety ground wire (bare copper, though in the original wiring, it's a lighter gauge than the hot and neutral) but my outlet tester shows no ground. I assume that it's looking for continuity between ground and neutral.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I’m the luggage 15 feet off the ground.
Is that some store or something?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

I don't recall what it looks like in the box - that's why I need to take a look. It's been a while since I was in there to replace a breaker. All the house wiring has a safety ground wire (bare copper, though in the original wiring, it's a lighter gauge than the hot and neutral) but my outlet tester shows no ground. I assume that it's looking for continuity between ground and neutral.

Ah, yeah then that needs to be investigated for sure.

It may be that the ground wires connect to a cold water pipe or something, rather than returning to the neutral in the box. Or someone just disconnected or broke the ground wire.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

quote:

This cat just trapped me in the bathroom by opening the drawer

Per the OP that is a built-in drawer, and they had to use a nail file to inch it closed in order to escape.

The real crappy construction here is the translucent bathroom door.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

Per the OP that is a built-in drawer, and they had to use a nail file to inch it closed in order to escape.

I think that's the shower and the other side of the door is the bathroom proper.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Proteus Jones posted:

I think that's the shower and the other side of the door is the bathroom proper.

What kind of shower door has a doorknob? Also why would someone have their phone/camera with them in the shower?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Youth Decay posted:

... Also why would someone have their phone/camera with them in the shower?

IDK, using it to play music?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Youth Decay posted:

What kind of shower door has a doorknob? Also why would someone have their phone/camera with them in the shower?

Yeah, you're probably right. I think my brain just said "no one can be that stupid as to put a glass door on a bathroom"

I just assumed that the door looked like it was fogged due to condensate and it was a "shower room".

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Deck of Death:

Upgraded version:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

IDK, using it to play music?

look at you fancy people with your waterproof phones and/or showers that are large enough for some part of them not to be touched by the water spray

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Youth Decay posted:

look at you fancy people with your waterproof phones and/or showers that are large enough for some part of them not to be touched by the water spray

I just stick my lovely old phone in a ziplock bag and have it paired to a waterproof bluetooth speaker.. The touch screen even works through the bag, though if enough droplets build up from spray it can start acting a bit wonky.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

wolrah posted:

I just stick my lovely old phone in a ziplock bag and have it paired to a waterproof bluetooth speaker.. The touch screen even works through the bag, though if enough droplets build up from spray it can start acting a bit wonky.

Is this because you need the plot for what you watch in the shower? Also good work killing your wife’s fantasy team.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

Probably a wet room rather than just a cubicle. They could have been cleaning it, or using a tub.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

wolrah posted:

I hung a digital radio on a hook from the bathroom ceiling as far away from the shower as I could, then stuck a USB stick in it with all my music.

Gotta say, works great. Well, apart from the fact the radio can't randomise the music which is a hell of a design oversight.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I had an AirBnB in Kuala Lumpur with translucent bathroom doors. The bathroom was between the two bedrooms, with a door into each. So after we put the kids to bed, we couldn’t use the lights in the bathroom or the master bedroom. That got boring fast.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

crazypeltast52 posted:

Is this because you need the plot for what you watch in the shower?
Nah, trying to actually watch anything is useless. After a bit of spray builds up it's just a blurry mess. It's just so I can change tracks if I decide I want to listen to something else. I do often put on a Youtube video but it'll be something like illectro explaining whatever space mission is in the news or a clip from The Daily Show where the video part isn't critical.

I tried putting a Google Home device in the bathroom but it really has trouble decoding what I'm saying over the shower noise, so the 5 cent plastic bag solution still wins.

quote:

Also good work killing your wife’s fantasy team.
:confused:

wolrah fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 15, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It was a joke in The League.

Edit: Probably season one, I’m an old man.

crazypeltast52 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 15, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I hung a digital radio on a hook from the bathroom ceiling as far away from the shower as I could, then stuck a USB stick in it with all my music.

Gotta say, works great. Well, apart from the fact the radio can't randomise the music which is a hell of a design oversight.

I just have an Echo in my bathroom and I yell at it to play my music, works for me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How long do you guys spend in the shower? Even on days I wash my long rear end hair I'm barely in there for longer than 15 minutes.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well it depends if you're just getting clean, or using it to hide your time sobbing at the wreckage your life has become.

A good soundtrack can really help with the second one, too.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I put a clock in my shower last week and it has really helped with my morning routine because I used to just turn off my brain for like 15 minutes and time travel

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ashcans posted:

Well it depends if you're just getting clean, or using it to hide your time sobbing at the wreckage your life has become.

A good soundtrack can really help with the second one, too.

So "Crying Game" on repeat then?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My morning poo poo/shave/shower routine can be around 30 minutes if I'm being lazy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My morning poo poo/shave/shower routine can be around 30 minutes if I'm being lazy.

Thanks for the info

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Enos Cabell posted:

How long do you guys spend in the shower? Even on days I wash my long rear end hair I'm barely in there for longer than 15 minutes.

I keep my rear end hair trimmed rather than long.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I put a clock in my shower last week and it has really helped with my morning routine because I used to just turn off my brain for like 15 minutes and time travel

Why would you do this to yourself?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:hfive:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I guess I never really stopped to think about it, but the bathrooms in my house are the only places that have no form of media playback at all. Even my garage has a tv w/ a fire stick hooked up. Bathroom I'm either reading a book on the toilet or zoning out to water sounds and birds chirping outside while showering.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

untzthatshit posted:

This thing just went up for sale in my town...I thought it was a commercial office or something at first, nope, it's a single family 4br house.

Here's the listing - it's up for $2MM which is 500K-1MM higher than every other house in that neighbourhood. The agent said they're "marketing it to out of towners from New York or the west coast" so maybe I just don't get it

Let me tell you about the $8mil Vancouver cube house.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/cube-house-on-vancouvers-point-grey-road-sold-for-7-65-million

To be fair, I don't think anyone has ever actually lived in that thing, and that it's really more in the space between ironic art and speculative financial instrument, both of which purposes it seems to fulfill quite well.

I'm sure it's actually moderately well constructed too.

Haha who am I kidding? There probably isn't a single properly constructed house built in Vancouver any time in the past decade of rampant, money-laundering fuelled speculation.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

I guess I never really stopped to think about it, but the bathrooms in my house are the only places that have no form of media playback at all. Even my garage has a tv w/ a fire stick hooked up. Bathroom I'm either reading a book on the toilet or zoning out to water sounds and birds chirping outside while showering.

Do this in more rooms.

Morning showers are a bourgeois fallacy. Evening showers are wholesome (and better for long, frizzy hair.)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
405k shipping container house in Michigan

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you're going to put that much work into cutting up the containers and finishing the interior/exterior, is there really any point in using containers besides the gimmick? I thought the whole point was the pre-made box you could get cheap and drop in place.

It's just a prefab house with a different name, isn't it?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
If nothing else, you're doing something with old shipping containers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

If nothing else, you're doing something with old shipping containers.

Melting them down into pot metal to make into something else is also "doing something" with them, and a much better use.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Not as efficient in guessing. Also, saves on wood used, etc.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

Not as efficient in guessing. Also, saves on wood used, etc.

If the container's in good shape, it's worth several thousand dollars as a shipping container. If it's only good for scrap, it's worth around $500. I've a feeling you wouldn't want to make housing of a container that's scrapworthy, and $2k+ buys an awful lot of standard framing lumber, plywood, nails, etc. As a bonus, you can easily attach drywall, floorboards, electrical boxes, etc. to the frame, and the stud bays provide space to route electricity, water, and plumbing. If you repurpose a metal box as a house, you'll have to come up with alternate (awkward, potentially expensive) solutions to those needs.

Basically, we build houses the way we do for very good reasons. It rarely makes practical sense to repurpose a vaguely-house-shaped object into a house, so usually when it's done it's done for aesthetic reasons.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

If all you're trying to do is make a relatively minimalist shelter while keeping the container exterior intact, there are some pretty easy solutions for finishing the inside. I did some research for a hunting cabin type thing and found this company's promo install clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX4a2G1t4k4

The black bars act like studs for wall-board attachment and there are channels for wiring behind the foam.

I don't really see the benefit to using them if you're going to do a lot of chopping and welding to the container, though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The container advantage is you can move it anywhere on Earth for rather cheap for an object of that size.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The container advantage is you can move it anywhere on Earth for rather cheap for an object of that size.

Exactly, so it makes no sense to me if you're going to undo the ability to do that by cutting the sides out and welding them side-by-side, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Fully admit I have no idea what I'm talking about and just blind guessing.

Serious question: does anyone actually know or are we all speculating?

I think you guys all make good points but I assume there's both a gimmicky factor to making houses this way but also some benefits. Just have no idea how it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

glynnenstein posted:

Exactly, so it makes no sense to me if you're going to undo the ability to do that by cutting the sides out and welding them side-by-side, etc.

:yeah:

The OG container houses were used by the engineers developing the original refrigerated containers: their accommodations were able to follow them wherever the test article went.