Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I remember hearing about this years ago but never looked too deep into it. On a technical level, I'm always impressed at how people have managed to cram mechanics from later generations into Gen 3 roms. This is on a level I wasn't expecting.

Question about the natures like Brawny, the ones that boost/lower two sets of stats. Do they affect the stats less than the standard natures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bogart posted:

The plan right now's to try and fill out the Dex, so that means we'll use everything to its last evolution, at least so we can see its moves and abilities, and what it's good at.

Woof, that sounds like it's gonna be a huge undertaking. Best of luck to you.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did Altered add any easy way to grind? Because otherwise you'll need a lot of time to do that, pre-Gen 5 isn't that nice about using multiple Pokémon.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I’m not committed to the idea. Maybe I’ll only point out the cool and good mons. but the wild Pokémon at victory road cap off around level 56 which isn’t bad at all. Barring that, subtle cheating with rare candies should do us well. Also, there’s a Lucky Egg available.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

This hack looks really cool.
Think I'm gonna try it out!

Though, I disagree with your opinion that the male avatar looks cooler. :colbert:

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
So when does the edgy stuff start popping out?

What’s that? There’s no edgy stuff? :stare:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Thanks for showing this off, it seems really interesting just giving every Pokemon a full moveset and ability overhaul

And...a stat overhaul too, and sometimes typing?!
145 base speed is quite the upgrade for Volbeat & Illumise, who had 85 originally.

For comparisons for those not in the know:
Wingull: 40/30/30/55/30/85 became 40/70/40/65/50/85
Volbeat: 65/73/73/47/85/85 became 68 45 63 77 75 145
Illumise: 65/47/75/73/85/85

It doesnt seem like the other early bugs had major overhauls but at this point I'm guessing they'll hit once they evolve, I can't wait to see that

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

flarp22 posted:

Question about the natures like Brawny, the ones that boost/lower two sets of stats. Do they affect the stats less than the standard natures?

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't; it's a double debuff in return for a double buff. Most new natures aren't supremely useful, to be totally honest. I mostly like them for flavor. Like, a mixed attacker like Seviper would like the boost to both attacks since it has crap defense anyway, Aggron wouldn't mind physical boosts to be a better physical tank, and run away at the sight of a special attacker, Shuckle doesn't give a drat about attack...

rannum posted:

Thanks for showing this off, it seems really interesting just giving every Pokemon a full moveset and ability overhaul

And...a stat overhaul too, and sometimes typing?!
145 base speed is quite the upgrade for Volbeat & Illumise, who had 85 originally.

Yup! Apparently the extra typing changes were pushed back on by idiots, so it became an optional additional patch. I'm trying not to get too far into the weeds with stat changes unless there're huge differences, since to me, at least, you think Volbeat/Illumise, you think middling bugs with Prankster. Their other stats are middling and crappy either way; the wow factor is in 'this is the fastest mon in the game with a huge support movepool, and he can't be hit with priority.

Cyflan posted:

Though, I disagree with your opinion that the male avatar looks cooler. :colbert:

It's ok to be wrong :colbert:

But please, feel free to post how you're progressing! I know I won't be able to cover everything fully.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh good, a GOOD loving pokermans hack. It’s such a rarity. Look forward to this.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Does this game have a way to easily trigger trade evolutions because there isn't really a way of trading on a romhack?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Does this game have a way to easily trigger trade evolutions because there isn't really a way of trading on a romhack?

From the QoL changes list

quote:

Evolve trade evos that require items by just levelling them up while holding that item, and evolve all other trade evos at lv36 (or evolve gengar by happiness at night)

which thank god

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I really like the combination of 7 generations of stuff into 386 mons. That more controlled environment lets us see base 145 speed bugs and all it does is secure them a spot in the meta instead of instituting a massive stat power creep. This hack looks baller! Excited to see further changes.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Here's a full view of the first route, by the way

when you're in it, it feels larger than it actually is

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
👀Where're you getting those from? 👀 Much cleaner than taking a bunch of screens of new maps.

Blue Labrador posted:

I really like the combination of 7 generations of stuff into 386 mons. That more controlled environment lets us see base 145 speed bugs and all it does is secure them a spot in the meta instead of instituting a massive stat power creep. This hack looks baller! Excited to see further changes.

Yup! There's a lot of abilities that are obscene on legendary mons (y'all have already seen Dark Aura Poochyena), but just make a lot of sense on otherwise so-so Pokemon.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

👀Where're you getting those from? 👀 Much cleaner than taking a bunch of screens of new maps.

Yup! There's a lot of abilities that are obscene on legendary mons (y'all have already seen Dark Aura Poochyena), but just make a lot of sense on otherwise so-so Pokemon.

There's this program, Advance Map, that lets you open up the roms and take a look (& edit) through the maps, including on patched roms. You can even see what POkemon show up. A perk of the pokemon romhacking scene being around for so long is there's a bunch of cool tools that makes this all simple.

Doesn't seem to just be an export snapshot option so you gotta go through the whole screencap -> crop in paint song & dance. At least, that's what I did, maybe I missed an easier way.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

rannum posted:

Doesn't seem to just be an export snapshot option so you gotta go through the whole screencap -> crop in paint song & dance. At least, that's what I did, maybe I missed an easier way.

There's a Tools -> Save Map Picture, though it saves in a .DIB format.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Cyflan posted:

There's a Tools -> Save Map Picture, though it saves in a .DIB format.

And then you use something like this site to conert DIB to PNG.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

And then you use something like this site to conert DIB to PNG.

Pretty sure you can also just open it in IrfanView, or another image viewer that supports .DIB, and save as .PNG

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
5: Furthering Our Career

Right. Tongue. It's enjoyed some pretty serious buffs from vanilla, including +30 Attack and +30 Special Defense, and +20 Speed. Own Tempo is a mildly useful ability, since it blocks confusion, but confusion is also easily lifted by swapping out. The real winner here is Unaware. Setup-sweepers and Cosmic Power tanks beware, Lickitung is too stupid to notice them, and ignores enemy boosts when both dealing and taking damage. A Guarded Nature here works decently, since 90 / 75 / 105 is a pretty intense defensive statting, on top of Normal leaving a vulnerability only to fighting moves. If we give Lickitung here an Eviolite and Toxic, it might be able to do some serious stall on its own.

This is the team I opt to roll with for now. Zigzagoon will keep us equipped with a few nice Pickup items, if nothing else, and I don't necessarily need the coverage of Electrike or Wingull at this point.

The last of the early routes stretches out before us.🎵

Good for him. Not as much for us. As a result of increasing Pokemon diversity so early in the game, we're down to a shameful amount of Pokeballs.

Two Nest Balls from Zigzagoon's Pickup, and one measly Pokeball. Suffice it to say, we'll need to return to this route once we've restocked. Our cash is pretty scraggly; May only gave us something like 300 Pokebux.

A trainer wants to battle!🎵

I have no intention of slavishly recording every single fight, especially those this early in the game. He's a bug catcher. Nothing exciting happens in this battle. Two Wurmples. I lead with Snubbull and Tail Whip them, then Pixilate-boosted Tackle them. It works well enough; though the Wurmples have Poison Sting, they do about two damage, so the chance of poisoning is the genuine threat.

He's got an Ekans. I sent Tarrare out against it. Works out fine.

Wouldn't be any fun to just proceed through the route without at least a sneak peak at what it has to offer.

This is the first route that I don't think looks too bad, honestly. There's Oran and Pecha Berries. I take 'em and don't plant more. To heck with the environment.

This Taillow is strangely fast. I wonder if... Nah. Couldn't be.

Can't remember what she had.

And this is just a potion.

:gonk: This kid stinks, and we're leaving.

But not without updating our profile with the help of the fella on the right.

Can't wait to head to the Record Mixing Room and exchange them with other players! :D

Next time: For Wally, the day he got his Ralts was the most important day of his life. For us, it was Update Six.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Might just Gameshark in a bunch of Pokeballs, honestly. Wynaut, Ekans, Bellsprout, NidoranF, NidoranM, Vulpix, Ralts, Lotad, Seedot are all in 102 alone. Twenty new mons available before we even reach Rustboro.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm sorry, I've been playing Pokemon for mumblemumble years and how did I never know confusion can be healed by switching out?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm sorry, I've been playing Pokemon for mumblemumble years and how did I never know confusion can be healed by switching out?

Most volatile statuses are like that. Ghost-type Curse, Embago, Encore, Leech Seed...

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 16, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Toxic Poison also turns into normal Poison on switch out, iirc

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Bogart posted:

Most volatile statuses are like that. Ghost-type Curse, Embago, Encore, Leech Seed...

Any status that doesn't have an indicator on the life bar gets cured upon switching out, basically.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

rannum posted:

Toxic Poison also turns into normal Poison on switch out, iirc

Only in Gen 1. That got fixed afterwards.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Oh wow. Early Lickitung is crazy. Is walling really useful against npcs in this though? Like is the AI improved enough to make it worthwhile versus just burning through?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh wow. Early Lickitung is crazy. Is walling really useful against npcs in this though? Like is the AI improved enough to make it worthwhile versus just burning through?

I haven't mentioned it yet, since we don't have our hands on any, but Revives don't work in battle by default in Altered Emerald, so wars of attrition won't necessarily go down in our favor. There's also a couple of late game battles that I'm dreading, just from how drat tough they are, so a tactic other'n 'hit them very hard' :black101: is useful. Some of the coolest mixed up mons are tank-like, so even if it isn't a necessary strategy, it's one that'll be used. :v:

e: I made a little google drive link if you wanna play AltEm with the patches I'm using without crawling through their Discord. Obviously, can't share the Rom. Go and dig out your Emerald cartridge and dump it like an adult. :colbert: Here.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 17, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
6: Where's Wally?

As if stunned into silence, this man and everyone else in the Pokemon Center has nothing important to say. Sidebar: after Oldale Town, the nurses at Pokemon Centers no longer ask if you want to heal your Pokemon. They just do it. We head downstairs, hoping to sell some stuff at the Mart (remember, that's where they are now!) for petty cash and...

Well, let's say it doesn't go well. I only buy Pokeballs in bulk for the free Premiere Ball. I'e got standards. :colbert: A quick tour of the town reveals...

They have nothing good to say. Don't even hand out any free stuff.

I want to catch the Pokemons.

Since we're still out in the sticks, some of the Marts haven't incorporated into the local Centers.

As such, this clerk is a little overeager to earn our patronage.

Sorry, I'm not a drat scab. I buy unionized goods. :colbert: Clever eyes will notice that they're selling Ethers, which are traditionally unpurchasable in the canon games, as well as some junk that isn't usually available this early. Still, I don't think we're going to need to use stat-up items and I have to imagine that the Mail is a joke. That said, though, Petalburg City is generally unchanged, barring a few ledges. So let's blow this pop stand.

Or we would, or this jerk makes us go see Dad.

As expected, he immediately degrades our agency and implies we wouldn't be able to make it this far without the very angry lizard in our pocket. Just like my real dad!

"No."

"Go work in the government and get on their healthcare plan. Buy a house at age 25, like I did. Get into guns and frame your racism like it's just common sense. Spend your twilight years wondering why your kid resents everything you do and stand for."

And he says to go fight some gym leaders, I don't know. :v:

epic boomer v whiny millennial standoff itt

I don't go in. There's nothing interesting here.

Ey, I'm walkin' 'ere!

Uh-oh. Looks like we got an old-fashioned set-up.

👀👀👀

NEXT TIME: We milk this kid for everything he's worth!

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 17, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
(and yes, you do actually get wally his ralts. i just doooooon't caaaaaaaare.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Bogart posted:

(and yes, you do actually get wally his ralts. i just doooooon't caaaaaaaare.)

Who does, honestly? I mean it’s just a pokemon catching tutorial anyways...after you’ve been able to catch and battle mons...WHY WAS IT SETUP THIS WAY?!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I will say, I don't think I like the change to Revives. It means if you're not up to scratch for beating a boss, your only recourse is to grind.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Kemix posted:

Who does, honestly? I mean it’s just a pokemon catching tutorial anyways...after you’ve been able to catch and battle mons...WHY WAS IT SETUP THIS WAY?!

Well, it does at least put it in your pokedex and make you aware that it's in the route if you wanted your own, I suppose? I know I hunted for one after that, not considering that there'd be a 5% encounter rate so early in the game. Never did find out how you were supposed to catch (or evolve) Feebas until looking it up, though!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I remember seeing a speedrunner have Wally's Ralts be a shiny.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I remember seeing a speedrunner have Wally's Ralts be a shiny.

https://youtu.be/FfbQDP2X4QE

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Once I saw Wally faint his Ralts, and after a moment the game just acted like he'd caught it anyway. Don't lie to me, Wally. I see its corpse lying there.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Kemix posted:

It is inexplicably ALWAYS after you've definitely been able to catch a Pokemon
They give you room to mess with things for yourself and then explain it to you which would make sense in a scenario where the tutorial realizes you have already caught a pokemon and skips it (or gives the optoin).

But if you're going to make the tutorial mandatory anyway just! Make it the first thing that happens! This is the worst of both worlds!

Actually surprised the romhack didn't hack it out

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I suspect the hack was done in a somewhat-linear fashion, since changes get grander and more full-fledged the deeper we go. It'll never be truly unrecognizable as an Emerald hack, but changes become a little more subtle and intriguing than Dark Aura Poochy.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Edit: it occurs to me you might want to talk about that when you get there in the LP, my bad.

Namagem fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 17, 2019

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
this is actually a really cool hack but i think gen 3 is my kryptonite, not because theyre bad, but more because every time i attempt to actually finish a hoenn game i get my rear end kicked up and down the street. altered emerald absolutely pushed my poo poo in about halfway through. i am bad at pokemon i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
7: Route Cleanup

We're gonna be rolling in it.

The Zigzagoons put up about as much of a fight as you expect Zigzagoons to put up.

:getin:

(To quell burning needs.)

Hahaha. Yes! I am a god! Spoiler: I end up with about six left by the end of this update. Back to Route 102 we go. And our first customer is...

Jessie's old standby, Ekans. I might not jell with Gen One fanboyism, but I do have a certain fondness for the old anime. I had a tape with the episode where a giant Tentacruel destroys Vermillion City. It was messed up.

hrnnngh tsuchinoko real

Next up, the queen in training.

I added a patch that makes the Pokedex kinda goofy and irreverent, if you haven't noticed. Gang, here's a quick tip, you shouldn't put on any condom that looks like Bellsprout.

Confirmed. :justtrans:

There are those who get very excited when they see an early game Vulpix. Not in the creepy way the game implies, but still.

I am not among them.

Around here I decide that four images for a Pokemon is a little much. You don't need to see me throw the ball and catch it. It's implied. In fact, let's get things nice and compact; I feel bad for anyone reading on their phones on a lousy connection. Some of the following pocket monsters m are from R103, some are from R102. Suffice it to say, we catch:

Ralts...

Lotad...

Taillow...

Hoppip...

Yanma...

Plusle...

and Pidgey!

Now, to mop up the route and move on.

He's a trainer! Youngsters, never run out of inane comments, I beg.

He's a bug trainer. He ain't got no business in the ocean. :colbert:

We get in looking for stuff to steal, but no dice.

*unless they're shadow pokemon
**or mewtwo in the first movie

Three guesses what he's got, and the first two don't count.

Altered Dialogue.

The box is starting to fill up quick.

Let's start the new mon march! Rivalry is a bad ability, giving a +- 25% extra or penalized damage if the opposing Pokemon's of the same or opposite gender. Unless you're going to plan around Pokemon species with skewed gender distributions (and guess what, it's usually 50/50), it's not going to help as much as you'd want. Poison Touch, on the other hand, is pretty good, adding a 30% chance to poison on any contact move, on top of normal effects. In Altered Emerald, Poison-types take .75% damage from poisoned opponents, so spreading the purple is good news for you.

Chlorophyll doubles speed in Harsh Sunlight. Bad luck for us: Bellsprout's other ability is Corrosion, which means it can Poison opponents of any type, including opposing Poison-types and Steel types. Chlorophyll's not bad, but Bellsprout's got a base speed of 50 here, and it goes down to 35 on evolution, so it's not going to be winning any foot races. But when you see Corrosion, and you see that little tidbit about Poison-types taking less damage from the Poisoned, and maybe your gears start a-turnin'.

Wynaut is Wobbuffet but a baby, and terrible. Pickup is its only ability.

The Dex threatened it, and it's true: Hoppip can't hit. That doesn't make it bad, however: just look at those moves. Worry Seed alone is enough to get some serious work done, given the amount of Pokemon in Altered Emerald with buckwild Abilities, and Poisonpowder is decent this early when Toxic isn't available. Abilities are nothing to write home about at the moment; We've seen Chlorophyll before with Bellsprout, and Symbiosis is a Doubles-(useful)-only ability that lets Hoppip give its held item to its partner after the partner uses their item (but not if it gets knocked off or stolen). I think I'll keep Hoppip around for a bit.

Like its distaff counterpart, NidoranM has sprouted an interesting Normal type, which grants it an extra STAB and immunity to Ghost in return for a neutral matchup against Fighting (since Poison naturally resists it. Steroids, I guess?). See...the same notes as above for NidoranF. Rivalry bad, Poison Touch good, stayed tuned for full evos if you want good abilities.

don't play reborn. All Ralts knows right now is Double Team and Growl, so it's worthless as is. Telepathy is one of those abilities that's only useful in Doubles, albeit, plenty useful, letting the Ralts in question avoid damage from its ally's spread moves, so Earthquake / Surf / Discharge spammers can click the button with impunity. Trace, the other ability, copies the opponent's ability (or a random one in doubles battle). It can be neat, and it's neat that Ralts is a fairy type, but eh. Near as I'm concerned, the Ralts family is useful for one thing: evolving into Gallade and running a Mean Look / False Swipe / Hypnosis set for easy runner mon catcher.

Lotad is Lotad. Swift Swim doubles speed in Rain, Rain Dish grants 1/16 health regen in Rain. You use this guy in rain teams or not at all. (I'm doing the latter.)

I used a Yanma in my last run. It worked pretty well. Since it's a gen 3 game and Yanmega isn't supposed to exist yet, it gets a few boosts to compensate for that, including 116 base Special Attack and a choice between two excellent abilities: Tinted Lens (which doubles the power of all 'not very effective moves') and Speed Boost (which, yknow, boosts speed by one stage per turn). It works equally well as a Baton Passer and a sweeper.

Bunny the first. In lieu of its signature ability in Plus, Plusle here is a Battery, which makes it an actually viable partner for Doubles battles. With Battery, its Doubles allies have the power of their special attacks multiplied by 1.3. That's the boost granted by a Life Orb, and for free, as long as Bugs is on the field. Backing it up, Plusle also gets a pretty intense boost in special attack and speed in Altered Emerald, 85 - 105 for Sp.A and 95 to 125 for Speed, so it has the potential to sweep all its own. Course, it remains to be seen if it has a moveset to back up its flavor as a cheering Pokemon.

who cares about plus

.........beans time. While Pidgey isn't too fascinating as is, keep an eye on it. Its evolutions may surprise you. Air Lock suppresses the effects of weather. It's otherwise known as Rayquaza's exclusive ability, but now, the Tiny Bird Pokemon is lookin' up! Otherwise, it gets Keen Eye, which keeps its accuracy from being lowered and -- and this I only learned recently -- ignores enemy evasiveness changes, so no more Minimize shenanigans when Pidgey's around.

Flash Fire could also be very useful if you're any good at prediction. The greater problem I've found with using it is that Flash Fire Pokemon that aren't called Heatran can switch into a fire move, but they don't have much to threaten the opposing Pokemon in return. Barring a lucky Hidden Power typing, I don't see Vulpix bucking that trend. What brought Vulpix and its evolution into prominence is that it gained the hidden ability Drought in XY, which automatically casts the battlefield in Harsh Sunlight. Under Sunlight, fire-type moves gain a free 50% boost, water-type moves get a -50% malus, and various plant-related moves are boosted as well. As with many abilities that essentially use a move for free on switch-in (Intimidate using Growl, Grassy Surge creating Grassy Terrain), it's very, very good.

Vulpix gets Quick Feet instead. When statused, it gains a 50% speed bonus, and ignores the speed drop (but not the effects of) Paralysis. It's pretty bad.

And rounding out the list is good old Taillow. Guts, as I think we've mentioned before in relation to Rattata, is a perfectly good ability, but it's not what we're here for. In Altered Emerald, our proud little bird has lost ten attack for ten defense (55 -> 45 and 30 -> 40). That might seem like a strange change, but it makes sense, since its alternate ability is Gale Wings. If you played XY competitively, you may remember the horror of Talonflame, that game's default bird, who could bust out Brave Birds (120 BP off of 81 attack) at +1 priority, making it a very frightening revenge killer. By the time of OR/AS, it's been nerfed, and only applies when the mon in question is at full health. Altered Emerald has no such nerf. It's a very good bird.

Next time:

Baba is Whom?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 27, 2019