Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Would frozen baby brine work? Also, what's a cool koi food? (don't say repashy I already got a bottle in the mail hehehe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
If I recall, prime binds ammonia but won't reduce its appearance in the test tube or strip tests

Do more water changes (with prime), rather than prime treating existing water if you want to improve your ammonia tests

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Get this for brine shrimp. I've used it every day for 9 months now and it works great. Set it up and add the eggs, harvest the brine shrimp 3 or 4 times the next day, rinse and repeat. It's super easy. Literally the only problem I've had with it is that the strainer eventually gets clogged, but that can be dealt with.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
One of my gouramis has dropsy! What should I do?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My poor gourami died :( he wasn't even showing symptoms untio this afternoon and then dies within mere hours! What's going on??

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's a ton of algae in the tank growing for some readon despite me cleaning, could that be it?

Another gourami is pooping white

Here's a pic of the algae

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 11, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Phi230 posted:

There's a ton of algae in the tank growing for some readon despite me cleaning, could that be it?

Your water parameters are okay? If you heat the tank make sure that you're not overheating it now that it's warmer out.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You had trouble with these gouramis fighting before didn't you? But that was a while ago. They could still have had elevated stress levels which means reduced immune system, so anything they were already carrying at subclinical levels could become a problem. Dropsy is usually from organ failure and sometimes from constipation, but for a fish to go downhill that fast I don't think constipation could be the culprit. Possibly dwarf gourami iridovirus as that causes necrosis and swelling of the spleen/kidneys and then usually death. It's contagious to other gouramis and although white poop is not a common symptom it's possible your surviving fish will bloat and die too. Just keep an eye on it. I don't think there's anything you can do and I don't think it will spread to other fish in your tank. I have no idea how you get rid of it once it's in your tanks, whether it dies out or stays dormant with no hosts.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Well here's an update:

The glass catfish that was all blotched with white is now clearing up

And, one of the gouramis looks healthy but is hiding and doesn't want to come out of his hiding spot, he's the one thats pooping white

The gouramis haven't fought in weeks, and ut was tye dominant and largest male that died. Could overeating have done it? Because Ahe would crowd out other fish during feeding time and constantly overeat

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, maybe. A blockage if he's scoffing dry food at the surface before it's even gotten wet could be pretty serious too. Fish don't really have stomachs, they're not built to digest food over time it just moves through them so any time food is stationary inside them it's not doing them any good. I've certainly had a barb eat itself to death when I fed too much bulky food. I'm glad your glass catfish is coming good! I would have expected a sub dominant gourami to get braver with a major competitor gone if that's all that was wrong. It could just be worms, are you somewhere that medicated flakes are available to you?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I have API general cure, is that what you mean?

The gouramis also love to eat the algae wafers I put in. Is that too bulky for them like you say?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know what's in general cure since we can't get that here, but I was under the impression that's for external parasites only (could be wrong?). I've heard of Jungle medicated flakes as an option or just soaking food in Fishbendazole maybe.

Algae wafers are probably fine, since it'll do them some good to have vegetable as well as protein content, and they have to pick at the wafer and wait for it to get wet before they can get any of it. Something like floating pellets that they could snatch from the surface without it having a chance to properly wet was more what I meant, as that will likely absorb water and swell after they've eaten it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Getting more of the equipment together for my high tech tank, I think I have so many aquariums because I enjoy this part of the process as much as the rest of it. One of the things I'm splurging on is building a DIY par meter so I can get the lighting dialed in. Also ordered some IP67 5050 rgb led strip lighting to mount in between the rows of 6500k 3w leds on the Quad EVO I picked up. The EVO is super bright, and the rgb strips should help to dial in some nice color.

Also getting antsy and might try to start bidding on rainbows at AquaBid to get the QT process going.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stoca Zola posted:

I don't know what's in general cure since we can't get that here, but I was under the impression that's for external parasites only (could be wrong?). I've heard of Jungle medicated flakes as an option or just soaking food in Fishbendazole maybe.

Algae wafers are probably fine, since it'll do them some good to have vegetable as well as protein content, and they have to pick at the wafer and wait for it to get wet before they can get any of it. Something like floating pellets that they could snatch from the surface without it having a chance to properly wet was more what I meant, as that will likely absorb water and swell after they've eaten it.

Yeah they eat flakes immediately. Should I cut back flakes?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Poured in another four shots of the good stuff. Everyone seems well

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Phi230 posted:

Yeah they eat flakes immediately. Should I cut back flakes?

Flakes usually aren't that much of a concern unless they have too much filler (anything grain or soy based) since they go soggy pretty quick. It couldn't hurt to switch it up a bit, I quite like micropellets or crumble as an alternative to flakes but if it's working for you there's no point swapping just for the sake of swapping. Cutting back is probably a good idea since it's so easy to overfeed if you aren't measuring it every time. I always seem to find that over time I gradually feed more and more without realising, it sneaks up on me until one day I notice and ask myself what the gently caress I'm doing. I'm pretty sure I did that yesterday as a couple of my tanks were looking a bit gross today and I've had to do emergency water changes tonight to get the mess out. Only a few pieces of uneaten crumble but they were hairy after just a day and the fish visibly unhappy. Still, maybe I need to get a UV lamp on that one tank as it's the one that had the rotting wood in. I think there are still plenty of spores in the water column waiting for any opportunity to strike.

I had a bit of a scare tonight! One of my tanks was in a pool of water and I wasn't sure if it had cracked; I put a bit of tape to mark the water level and it hadn't dropped hours later so what I think happened was one of my sponge filters was running a bit too fast, the popping bubbles were flicking water up onto the glass cover, the cover wasn't on quite right and was overhanging the back of the tank and the water was flowing down the inside of the cover and down the back glass to form the pool. I did adjust the air and wipe up the water and hours later there wasn't any more water but the shelf the tank is on is pretty stuffed now. I have had plans to juggle my tanks around and replace that shelf already, I have the replacement tank and a location selected - the trouble is, the quarantine tank is in the way. I am going to have to call off quarantine after 4 weeks and hope the fish have grown enough to manage in their new tanks. There is no sign of illness, no flicking, and that one rasbora that had white stuff in his tail must have got over it because I can't see it on any of them now. I think it's the third or fourth time I've bought fish from that supplier and once again they have been healthy so I am reasonably confident it will be safe to move them out.

BONGHITZ: glad your new dudes are settling in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If I feed my Amano shrimp bloodworms will they develop a taste for flesh/blood and kill me in my sleep?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Probably not unless you're a midge larva.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Poured in another four shots of The Good Stuff. And one for daddy.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to fast my tank for 2 days and do a massive clean/overhaul and the tank looks brand new, the fish seem very happy and the gouramis are no longer constipated

I got a Pearl Gourami today, as well as 5 Kuhli Loaches and 1 more Cory Catfish.

The poor cories my LFS sell are always bone white from stress, but luckily every one has got their color back since I've gotten them.

The kuhlis are such goofy fish! They immediately went for the rock cave my Dwarf gourami has been hiding in for the last few days, and evicted thr gourami. Now the gourami is sullenly hanging out above the cave while the kuhlis hide

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Phi230 posted:

Here's a pic of the algae

I'm jealous of the anacharis. That's like my nemesis plant, and I can never have much success with it. Lots of "difficult" plants I can take care of no problem, but not that one.

How well are your gouramis getting along? Be sure to keep an eye on them; once upon a time I had 3 in a tank, and they were fine for several months until they decided it was time to begin the purge.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm jealous of the anacharis. That's like my nemesis plant, and I can never have much success with it. Lots of "difficult" plants I can take care of no problem, but not that one.

How well are your gouramis getting along? Be sure to keep an eye on them; once upon a time I had 3 in a tank, and they were fine for several months until they decided it was time to begin the purge.

It's been two months and they get along fine. They swim together, eat together, and then when they wind down they all have their own spots in the aquarium where they chill/sleep

The largest one and most dominant just died so there's been a bit of a power vacuum and some stress on their part

They're scared of my shrimp and won't go near their colony anymore. Overall they're very skittish and sociable which is supposedly surprising.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The one gourami who has been acting more scared than normal is pooping long, white strands

Online tells me this is an intestinal parasite. Should I go ahead and treat the whole tank with API's general cure? Will this medicine hurt my inverts/cory catfish?

So I called my LFS and researched online and it says that General Cure is safe for inverts and other fish so I went ahead and dosed the tank.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 14, 2019

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
ah gently caress, tetra population has dropped from 12 to a single one in a matter of weeks (sepae if that matters) already contacted the shop i got them from and they say they havent had any issues (i believe them since i chat with the owner semi regularly and hes been pretty honest about that sorta poo poo before)
begining to think im cursed, thankfully andre is still alive

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is your local fish store owner fat? personally I only trust the fatties in matters of fish (see: fat men on you tube).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sensor for my diy par meter got here today, so I rigged that up quick tonight. Super stoked about the results on the Beamswork Quad EVO light I picked up. I tested it on my 180g which is the same length and height as the 125 and was getting readings of 150-200par at the substrate, which should be more than enough for a nice thick carpet.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I released the new fish from quarantine yesterday, as expected the corydoras were excited about the new fish and the new fish were super happy to be in a larger group. It's always super cute seeing the meet and greet play out. Fish might have tiny brains and not know much but at least with schooling fish they do know "Hey, you are like me and that's great!". The usually shy adult trilineatus have all been out and about and that is all I wanted to see. Similarly, even though they aren't the same species the rasboras schooled up immediately, with the larger cheeyas taking the lead and instead of cowering at the back of the tank they now parade around like they own the place. It seems like the red tails are more confident too since there is more plant cover in their new tank and the company of the larger fish seems to suit them. Success! Now that's two less tanks to worry about, I'm down to 15 now. The other thing is, they aren't actually that much smaller than the cheeyas so that leads me to think they will be safe from becoming accidental catfish food.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's awesome your corys have some new friends now Stoca, love seeing those little dudes swimming around happily.

Speaking of quarantine, that's been what I've been working on lately. I have had the 55g sump on my 180 torn down for quite a while now so that I can redo the plumbing on that tank. At the same time I've been trying to figure out how to best QT the rainbows I'm planning to stock my 125 with. Finally rubbed the right two brain cells together, and realized I could just tear out the baffles in my sump since I'm planning to redo them anyway, and that would be a perfect size tank for QT on a large group of fish.

Got it all cleaned up nice over the last few days, so now that it's ready for fish I figured what the hell. Have been chatting with a breeder the last few days and pulled the trigger on 3 groups of 8 rainbows. He's going to ship them overnight next week. Not my pics, but these are the 3 types I'm getting:

Melanotaenia Boesemani-Aytinjo

Glossolepis Incisus

Melotaenia Lacustris

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Lacustris are my dream rainbow, I think in the long term that's what I want to put in my 5 foot tank but right now there isn't room. You should have an excellent colourful active tank with that mix!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The sick gourami is already visibly feeling better after only 1 day, which is very encouraging sign. If things continue well, after the full treatment he'll be all better.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Okay so I have 4 male amano shrimp, what the hell is this because it looks like a berried shrimp to me:

e: Holy poo poo

We just had a heat wave and the tank temps got to around 82F at the most for 2-4 days, I guess that triggered it. Goddamn.

e2: I've noticed the pale yellow saddle on a couple shrimp for a long time but figured it was just the pale green algae wafers. Heh.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 15, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I moved my black molly from my 20g goldfish tank to my 10g tetra tank on Monday because I wanted to give the goldfish a chance to lay eggs without the molly eating them. The molly seemed fine and the tetra tank seemed clean and fine aside from the snail infestation. All the tetras have been fine and have even seemed more active of late after I turned the heat up a little.

Yesterday I got worried because the molly was hanging out near the top of the tank and not responding to food. Today he's dead. This is the first fish death I really and truly feel is 100% my fault and its really hurting. I don't know if there was too much of a temp or water quality change and it shocked his system or what. But I'm convinced if I had left him in the goldfish tank he'd be alive today.

I think its time for me to break down that tank. Its the "death tank". I've lost the molly, an angelfish, a dozen neon tetras, and a whole bunch of plants to it but I haven't lost a single fish in any of my other tanks. Its also got a completely out of control snail infestation I've been unable to make a dent into. I was gonna buy an assassin snail but I think the right call is to pull out the tetras and put them somewhere safe (they'd probably fit in my 20G goldfish and look cool but I don't want to do that just in case they're carrying something) and break down the tank entirely. Toss the plants or at least isolate them in their own tank for awhile and see if they can be healthy. Clean the rocks and gravel and stuff. And just start again with a new tank. If I can find a decently priced stand I might even upgrade to a 20G. The current table wouldn't support that though. Gonna see if there's something decent at Lowes this weekend.

I'm just really bummed and hating myself right now. I killed that little guy. He was a pain in the rear end who I constantly had to move because he was messing with everyone else. But I killed him and I'm sad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I moved my black molly from my 20g goldfish tank to my 10g tetra tank on Monday because I wanted to give the goldfish a chance to lay eggs without the molly eating them. The molly seemed fine and the tetra tank seemed clean and fine aside from the snail infestation. All the tetras have been fine and have even seemed more active of late after I turned the heat up a little.

Yesterday I got worried because the molly was hanging out near the top of the tank and not responding to food. Today he's dead. This is the first fish death I really and truly feel is 100% my fault and its really hurting. I don't know if there was too much of a temp or water quality change and it shocked his system or what. But I'm convinced if I had left him in the goldfish tank he'd be alive today.

I think its time for me to break down that tank. Its the "death tank". I've lost the molly, an angelfish, a dozen neon tetras, and a whole bunch of plants to it but I haven't lost a single fish in any of my other tanks. Its also got a completely out of control snail infestation I've been unable to make a dent into. I was gonna buy an assassin snail but I think the right call is to pull out the tetras and put them somewhere safe (they'd probably fit in my 20G goldfish and look cool but I don't want to do that just in case they're carrying something) and break down the tank entirely. Toss the plants or at least isolate them in their own tank for awhile and see if they can be healthy. Clean the rocks and gravel and stuff. And just start again with a new tank. If I can find a decently priced stand I might even upgrade to a 20G. The current table wouldn't support that though. Gonna see if there's something decent at Lowes this weekend.

I'm just really bummed and hating myself right now. I killed that little guy. He was a pain in the rear end who I constantly had to move because he was messing with everyone else. But I killed him and I'm sad.

Assuming you have a thermometer and are checking this stuff since you adjusted the heater, what was the temperature difference in the two tanks? I'm sorry you feel upset. Maybe it was a sick fish to begin with?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

VelociBacon posted:

Assuming you have a thermometer and are checking this stuff since you adjusted the heater, what was the temperature difference in the two tanks? I'm sorry you feel upset. Maybe it was a sick fish to begin with?

The goldfish tank was a few degree cooler, but I have actually been running it warm since I moved my angelfish into it and was kind of trying to encourage the goldfish to breed. But the thermometer for it broke last week so I'm not 100%. Which just kind of goes to add on to that this was probably my fault for not being more diligent in replacing it and being careful.

I don't think he was sick. He seemed fine until the move. I've moved very fast and loose with moving around fish from tank to tank and I've always been worried this sort of thing would happen. Whether it was the water conditions/temperature, or just the moving the fish, or some sickness or problem in the "death tank" I haven't resolved. It feels entirely like its on me. So I've just got a lot of guilt right now.

But hopefully its good guilt that I can use to avoid making this mistake again.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't kept mollies but all I can think of that is a common cause for them for do poorly is they prefer hard water and won't handle moving into softer water, and that they are apparently sensitive to nitrates. Even so I wouldn't have expected either of these to cause a sudden death but that you'd see the fish in distress first. I do think a single solitary molly might have been stressed though and that is always unhelpful. Maybe you can find something here that gives you some clues about what might have gone wrong? I'm sorry your molly died but at least it didn't die through neglect and you were just trying to do what's best for all your fish. I think you're right about breaking the tank down and cleaning everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'd been meaning to get more mollies for him to school with in the 20G but my goldfish kept getting bigger and I was worried about space. The funny thing, and part of why I had gotten so attached to him, is he seemed to have sort of schooled with the goldfish and often just acted like them and joined in their chases. I think I had messed with him so much and worried about his tank mates so much that I didn't realize I had really grown so attached to the rambuctious bastard. So like, not only do I feel guilty but I really do miss him.

Ideally I'll upgrade to a 20G, move my 10 "glo" tetras in after some quarantine time, a school of neons, and MAYBE the angelfish (but he's gotten REALLY big and I worry about him with the tetras when he seems fine with the goldfish). MAYBE I'll try 3-5 mollies if it works out. But I'm gonna play it conservative this time and focus on quarantining these guys and breaking the tank down. Death to the Death Tank.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got two bamboo shrimp today and they are larger than my gouramis, lol.

I'm trying to train the Pearl gourami to bite my finger/spit at me like I am training the Dwarf Gouramis but she is too polite. Where the other gouramis instantly go to bite my fingers (even before I was training them to spit), she just wants to feel at my hand with her whiskers

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Are there any good resources for learning out water chemistry in a hardcore, I have a BS in Chemistry with a focus on analytical chemistry kind of way? It's been years since I graduated and my job has nothing to do with chemistry now but I've got a good background. I'd really prefer written sources since watching videos bores the crap out of me. I'd also appreciate some good search terms.

My stepdad helped me sketch out a plan for a tank stand. We're planning to wire it to have plugs in it so I can plug in the light, pump, and a heater. That's probably all I'll need for a Spec V. The catch is I'll need access to more power tools than I have so he's putting me to work before we start on my project. It's cool though since I'd help him anyway.

We're not planning anything super complicated but he's got all the woodworking tools and I feel like it's a great opportunity to learn a bunch of new stuff. It's basically going to just be a cabinet with doors, adjustable shelves, a lip around the top, and a waterproof surface on the top. It'll fit the tank perfectly though.

I could probably put together something serviceable with my table saw and drill but it'll probably be way more to build it together.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

GoodBee posted:

Are there any good resources for learning out water chemistry in a hardcore, I have a BS in Chemistry with a focus on analytical chemistry kind of way?

I always feel like there are rabbit holes of info on this site which may or may not be what you're after. A lot of stuff you'll find is a bit simpler and aimed at hobbyists of any educational background, for example this article about CO2 but it doesn't take much digging to find more. The hobby has been around for a long time with people of all levels of expertise participating so once you learn some of the lingo it will be easier to search for what you want.

I think you'll get on better if you are searching for information for requirements of a specific species of fish because there are a lot of different environments they come from and different water chemistry due to different geography. Hard water fish such as rift lake cichlids have different needs to South American soft water fish. Fish from brackish waters are different again. The nitrogen cycle is important as well as knowing about acidification as organics are broken down and buffering to prevent pH crashes.

Phi230 your pearl gourami sounds :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I want perfect water, God's own water.