Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
The developing contrast between Laius' untempered trust of everyone and Kabru's harsh preternatural judgement is ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

The "Living dungeons" concept been a thing for a while, you can find it in some tabletop rpg stuff and its actually part of the basic setting of 13th Age.
Dungeon ecology isn't a new idea, but without knowing anything about this series I can tell you what inspired the writer to pursue that theme in this story.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Wow, that’s ...blatant. Who rips off covers to that extent?

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 15, 2019

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love the elves, them becoming as goofy as everyone else when fleshed out is fantastic

all the characters have way more depth than you'd expect them too, and it's only aided the worldbuilding rather than splitting focus

it's incredibly impressive

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Mousepractice posted:

The developing contrast between Laius' untempered trust of everyone and Kabru's harsh preternatural judgement is ace.

Kabru really is just Laius but obsessed with people instead of monsters, it even gave him super vision!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Dungeon ecology isn't a new idea, but without knowing anything about this series I can tell you what inspired the writer to pursue that theme in this story.

that art is really amateurish. it's even more exaggerated because they chose to rip off an excellent artist.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think kabru and the captain should date and then go on a double date with marcille and falin who are also dating

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Mousepractice posted:

Laius and Kabru desperately need to get in a situation where they work together for a prolonged period of time and Kabru is somehow prevented from leaving or killing Laius.

Especially some sort of social situation. I bet Kabru watching Laius interact with people would be agonizing for him.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think kabru and the captain should date and then go on a double date with marcille and falin who are also dating

:hmmyes:

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Fairy elf panels are always good/funny

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Her getting scronched into a staff was great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Big nosed elf is best elf and come at me if you think otherwise.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

she's the parties ugo elf

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think any of them can beat the captain solving every problem with random teleportation.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://twitter.com/DerWaffleMous/status/1128972414862405633

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

We do not deserve Ryoko Kui.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The Lord of Hats posted:

We do not deserve Ryoko Kui.

But I’m pretty sure we need her.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The Captain is so badass...I love this arc.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoyed this chapter but something about it seems too...soon? Like we just had a chapter of ominous foreshadowing and build up and now the dungeon's already warping.

Not gonna claim I know how it should've gone but this is the first time a development has felt rushed to me. Maybe it'll be a plot point, I dunno.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bad Seafood posted:

I enjoyed this chapter but something about it seems too...soon? Like we just had a chapter of ominous foreshadowing and build up and now the dungeon's already warping.

Not gonna claim I know how it should've gone but this is the first time a development has felt rushed to me. Maybe it'll be a plot point, I dunno.

I mean, this doesn't seem to be a naturally occurring one, this is the Mad Sorcerer controlling the monsters rather than the dungeon producing too many monsters and having them spill out. So this is more like a preview of what could happen if the dungeon was left as it was for too long.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
No, no, I get that. It's mechanically sound. We understand the dungeon, how it operates, and we understand that the Mad Sorcerer coming to this level has accelerated the rate of change. The math works out. It's not the math, it's the timing. The last plot point had pretty much no time to breathe before becoming immediately relevant.

I remember reading this book as a kid where the hero finds a box with a finger in it. He then (almost immediately) stumbles upon an evil wizard, who reveals he cannot be killed because he sealed his life force in his (severed) finger and hid it. The hero puts two and two together, produces the finger, and the evil wizard is destroyed. The problem isn't the hero finding the box (not even by accident), nor the box containing the wizard's weakness, but the fact that these things happened so close together. Even as a child, it felt a bit quick - and that's without registering any of the other contrived parts of the story.

The lack of downtime feels too sudden, is all. The elves wanted to create a disturbance in the dungeon and got one immediately, because the Mad Sorcerer decided to pick this exact time to cause some trouble, right as they were regrouping. There's no reason the Mad Sorcerer can't be here, causing trouble, but it feels like a bit of narrative convenience. And yes, there might be a reason for it, like getting tipped off by the king's son, but it still feels sudden in a way that subconsciously bugged me.

Again, not a huge deal (though apparently huge enough I felt the need to write about it). Just trying to air out my thought process?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
To be fair, the Mad Sorcerer is On The Move because Farlyn and Friends stirred things up by killing/being revived with the red dragon, which definitely got the MS's attention in a way we don't know of anything else really doing in the past thousand years. Enough for the MS to show up in the Undervillage of the Immortals just after Our Heroes had left, clearly agitated and demanding to know what the village's leader was up to.

This all happened in the past day or two, at the same time as the two combined other parties teleported back to the surface and they saw the elf ship sailing into port, then immediately ran over to the town's mayor's mansion, found the elves there, and embarked on the last couple of chapters of activities.

If anything, it makes perfect sense that the MS would be doing something this audacious and active right now, given all this timing of things happening.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It might not even be the Mad Sorceror anyway.

HouseofGlass
Apr 18, 2005
Quick! To the Bat-Fax!
I think honestly it will be some kind of plot point that gets fleshed out in the next chapter, but yeah I definitely see what you mean about it feeling a bit rushed/convenient.

I think even if does end up being a bit convenient, I’m still really interested in where it’s going. There’s been the occasional moment before this one that felt a bit too convenient to me, but how it was used/contextualized later in the plot ended up more than making up for the nitpick at the time.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bad Seafood posted:

There's no reason the Mad Sorcerer can't be here, causing trouble, but it feels like a bit of narrative convenience. And yes, there might be a reason for it, like getting tipped off by the king's son, but it still feels sudden in a way that subconsciously bugged me.

Again, not a huge deal (though apparently huge enough I felt the need to write about it). Just trying to air out my thought process?
You're right in that it is narratively convenient. However in my mind this seems to be a build up to a conflict that answers a bunch of ancillary questions. Namely:

Exactly how powerful is the Mad Sorcerer? (Compare and contrast him and this just-demonstrated crack team of elves.)
Related: What happens when Elf Team 6 meets Laius & Co.? (Depends on how this conflict goes.)
Also related: Why Laius & Co. need the help of the Winged Lion beyond 'they've been kind of bumbling through this whole thing and 'There is a Prophecy!''

There's also what happens when the Mad Sorcerer finds out that Derghal left the Dungeon to get out of the Curse of Immortality(tm)? (Which is a continuation on the plot thread that was left hanging when he was all 'hey Yado, who were you talking to?')

The suddenness is also an indication of an increase in tension, like how time bomb clocks always seem to tick faster when you're defusing them :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
For those who enjoy Dungeon Meshi, I highly, highly recommend you also check out Heterogenous Linguistics. It is absurdly good with only 14 chapters so far(new one just dropped), like if it keeps this pace up I would put it on par with Dungeon Meshi, absolutely.

quoting my post about it

quote:

A linguist travels among the world of monsters, learning how each species communicates, how their societies and beliefs work, languages, behaviors etc and documents it. He is accompanied by various monsters going the same direction as him, as well as his mentor's daughter, a werewolf-human hybrid and the best character in the series by far. The way it deals with various typical JRPG/fantasy monsters like slimes and werewolves and lizardmen is staggeringly good, I seriously can't say enough good things about it. Like, slimes? they have no sense of self. each slime can split into multiple pieces and have varied intelligence based on the size of the slime, and carry memories along with that fragment. they communicate via touch, and if they communicate with another slime, they merge and become one being, as if they had always been those two slimes as one creature with all the memories. It's such a loving good concept for a slime creature and it makes me giddy just recalling it. The series is hilarious, it's really nice looking, it's really frank in its depiction of things and doesn't worry whether you can understand what's going on or not, you're just carried along for the ride. Seriously, seriously good series, like rivals Dungeon Meshi for my second favorite series spot especially if it continues on with this level of quality. One of the latest chapters has the linguist encountering another linguist, a minotaur, and they both try to suss out each other's language without being able to directly communicate. Just stellar. I am really sad it's not licensed yet, as I immediately went to try and order the first volume off amazon only to find nobody's picked it up yet.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

For those who enjoy Dungeon Meshi, I highly, highly recommend you also check out Heterogenous Linguistics. It is absurdly good with only 14 chapters so far(new one just dropped), like if it keeps this pace up I would put it on par with Dungeon Meshi, absolutely.

quoting my post about it

seconded

thanks for the update on there being an update

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Heterogenous Linguistics is good but I often lose the thread of the plot because it's built around, well, language barriers. That said, I am a freaking moron, so maybe that won't be a problem for others.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Showdown time! (new chapter)

Return of the changelings :getin:

Edit:

Never make that face again, Chilchack.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 15, 2019

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I really like the small touch of Kabru's leg getting skewered through a walking mushroom when they teleport down.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I really hope this gets animated someday

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kabru is just straight up my second favorite character below Marcille after this chapter now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

so fucken good.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love whiplash chapters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm okay with running this joke into the ground. This chapter positively flew by, though.

Can Of Worms posted:

Edit:

Never make that face again, Chilchack.

Stolen from mangadex:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If this elf spec ops team is all conscripted convicts (other than the captain?) I wonder what leverage their government has to stop them deserting, now they're out of the country?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
can't believe the cool neckwear was likely less high fashion and more "wear this criminal scum"

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Man the elves kinda made that sorcerer look like a chump there.

That's pretty impressive

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Dzhay posted:

If this elf spec ops team is all conscripted convicts (other than the captain?) I wonder what leverage their government has to stop them deserting, now they're out of the country?
The captain will teleport stuff into them. Kabru also mentions that about half of them are convicts so the other half can keep an eye on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kabru is just straight up my second favorite character below Marcille after this chapter now.

I'm surprised just how much Kabru really grew on me. At first I thought he's someone looking down on others while plotting to become the new ruler of the dungeon.

But the past few chapters really turned that impression around. He just doesn't want the incident that happened to wipe his home to happen ever again. And he doesn't really want power over the dungeon, he just wants the person to do so to be a good person and not corrupted by greed. He's a swell guy, and I hope he and Elf Boss are alright.

Also, this is the first time poor Namari saw what happened to Farlyn, right? That's gotta be really rough. :(