Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GS salaries for certain industries are way out of whack, in both directions. Some fields they're woefully behind, some fields amazingly ahead.

My job, for example, puts me at somewhere around GS13 Step 6 using the DC locality pay modifier. Looking at what some fellow civs that I work with, that's about right for matching the level of experience/qualifications/responsibilities.

You absolutely should apply for it regardless. With your points you might actually kick yourself up to the most qualified, even if it's a mickey mouse position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Vasudus posted:

GS salaries for certain industries are way out of whack, in both directions. Some fields they're woefully behind, some fields amazingly ahead.

My job, for example, puts me at somewhere around GS13 Step 6 using the DC locality pay modifier. Looking at what some fellow civs that I work with, that's about right for matching the level of experience/qualifications/responsibilities.

You absolutely should apply for it regardless. With your points you might actually kick yourself up to the most qualified, even if it's a mickey mouse position.

How does GS14 rank? Am I equivalent to a 5 star general?

Because this is for a GS14 spot. Which again seems kind of high for the work. But I’m not really well versed in GS scales.

E: after looking at pay tables it would be GS14 step 1.

colachute fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 20, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
GS14 is usually reserved for things like deputy directors and/or equivalent but it depends. In DHA land, the 11-13s are the senior SMEs and task leads managed by a 14, with a 15 in charge of a whole office.

I don't know how the Joint Staff handle their GS people, I work almost exclusively with military from there.

A GS14 is the "equivalent" to an O5 as far as responsibilities. Meaning when they designed the billet, it was for either an O5 or a GS14.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

colachute posted:

There’s a job posting on USA Jobs that interests me. It’s the same level I’m in now just a different aspect of accounting.

It would double my salary and all I would have to do is add 10 minutes to my already 15 minute commute.

It’s at the Pentagon working with the JCOS.

I find it hard to believe that a GS job would grant me double my current salary. Not even my salary. It still eclipses big-four salaries by tens of thousands.

Something isn’t adding up.

Apply but send your good boy to interview instead. Make sure he has his best tie collar on.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

So basically I’d be a 5 star general. There’s a new Grover in town.

LingcodKilla posted:

Apply but send your good boy to interview instead. Make sure he has his best tie collar on.

He’s not happy with me and would probably tank the interview. I let another dog eat out of his bow.

Twice.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I considered going GS for a good while but I realized that I enjoy my job changing often enough. It's got upsides and downsides, but I like it.

My client revealed today that she hosed up hardcore on contract paperwork and there's likely going to be a considerable (3-6) month gap in funding. Which means that everyone on my contract is a free agent at 5:01pm the day the contract ends. So I'll likely be 100% free and clear to jump to another project without having any kind of transition plan in place. It also means that this contract is going to have 100% staff turnover (since everyone is released) which is going to be absolutely hell on earth for whomever gets stuck with this poo poo. Eat poo poo, suckers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

colachute posted:

So basically I’d be a 5 star general. There’s a new Grover in town.

He’s not happy with me and would probably tank the interview. I let another dog eat out of his bow.

Twice.

Monster.

Give him a pet for me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
troof

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Millenials are also almost into the 40 year-old range. 1980-????.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Millennial is a nonsense descriptor and the only generational terms that have ever been based on anything concrete have been the Baby Boomers and the Lost Generation

OTOH crafty Millennials have ruined "Boomer" by using it to refer to anyone over 30

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's an important sociological distinction to be made that differentiates a generation. Unfortunately everyone has different opinions on this.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Fallom posted:

Millennial is a nonsense descriptor and the only generational terms that have ever been based on anything concrete have been the Baby Boomers and the Lost Generation

OTOH crafty Millennials have ruined "Boomer" by using it to refer to anyone over 30

Anyone over 30 is a boomer.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I talk about Gen Z at work now. Millennial never comes up any more.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Boomer is more of a mindset nowadays. Ben "Baby height" Shapiro is a millennial with boomer mentality.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I remember when the rear end in a top hat boomer generation labeled everyone in gen x "slackers" and then promptly squandered the end of the cold war so gently caress 'em

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Woof Blitzer posted:

Eat my balls.

https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/blog/defining-the-generations-redux/

This makes reasonable sense, and why my '82 rear end from the cornfields claims gen x.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Eat my balls.

https://www.jchs.harvard.edu/blog/defining-the-generations-redux/

This makes reasonable sense, and why my '82 rear end from the cornfields claims gen x.

Hello boomer

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've been called worse. Not by much, but definitely worse.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Rude, I'm not even Mayor Pete age yet

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Chernobyl episode 3. :cry:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah holy gently caress

That makeup work was incredible

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

colachute posted:

How does GS14 rank? Am I equivalent to a 5 star general?

Because this is for a GS14 spot. Which again seems kind of high for the work. But I’m not really well versed in GS scales.

E: after looking at pay tables it would be GS14 step 1.

13/14 are Lt. Col, 15 is Colonel. SES is flag and nobody waves their dicks at them because it’s a bad idea.

But also no one outside of civil service does or should give a gently caress, and most people in civil service also don’t give a gently caress (and shouldn’t).

Apply for that job and get it. Just remember at the 14 level you’re probably not covered by any labor agreement, so if you suck, no one will interfere with the firing process.

And you’re probably inheriting a poo poo show.

As for best qualified, agency dependent, but doesn’t really matter. The selecting official makes the call regardless, and I don’t even have to tell HR why. I just have to be able to demonstrate that I had some process.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
The second half of Jon Bois' "Bob" video is up.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
6 weeks unemployment streak over.

My old job gave me a 10k raise annually to come back even though they didn't have the position open.

Holy poo poo let's never do that again.

My wife determined we can put literally 50% of my paycheck into retirement/house and love quite comfortably after this bout.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Oh yeah and if anyone was wondering Detective Pikachu was way better than I expected

Not a lot of action and cliche mystery story with the usual twists, but still pretty OK

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh yeah and if anyone was wondering Detective Pikachu was way better than I expected

Not a lot of action and cliche mystery story with the usual twists, but still pretty OK

My kids liked it. Had some punny jokes. Looked great. I did nod off in the middle but still enjoyed it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Lot of good adult jokes as well to no ones surprise

I don’t know why the trailer isn’t just the first scene of the movie. Makes it look a lot more exciting.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pkhEyRoidk

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

6 weeks unemployment streak over.

My old job gave me a 10k raise annually to come back even though they didn't have the position open.

Holy poo poo let's never do that again.

My wife determined we can put literally 50% of my paycheck into retirement/house and love quite comfortably after this bout.

Hey, congrats dude! Hope the new old job works out.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I loving suck at the dentist. I have a significant history of dental trauma stemming back to two incidents that happened when I was a kid, and I’m ruined by both nearly 30 years later. I went in for a cleaning today on 1.5 mg of Xanax that my dentist prescribed, had to get shot up with Novocaine when they brought out the scrapy things, and still drat near broke the seat rests because I was grabbing them so tight. I couldn’t get nitrous because my dentist is pregnant, but next time, I’m going for Xanax, nitrous and whatever else the doc feels like giving me. Give me a veritable galaxy of uppers, laughers, downers and screamers and then take a picture of your office staff laughing at my dick, I don’t give a gently caress so long as I’m skipping down the Yellow Brick Road when you start working. The real kicker? I’ve never even had a cavity.

With one notable exception (that directly feeds into my childhood trauma), every dentist I’ve known have been the sweetest people ever. I just don’t understand why they use their hands to do the work of the devil.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Better than them using their feet

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have you considered a dentist who employs an anesthetist? You don't have to go all the way out if you don't want, some places will just twilight you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not a fan of dentists either. An army dentist hosed my trust in them forever. I'll be visiting one of those anchor mount denture places in the inevitable future. They're gonna need a lot of knock out juice when that happens, since thc can gently caress with how your body takes to anesthesia. I'll fly my brother out here to drive my rear end there and back and take care of any animals I have, while I drool and bitch about my own stupidity.

Just going to have them chiseled the gently caress out, wisdom teeth too. The army didn't get those from me, they were "coming in straight" at the time. Thanks army.

Also, depression is a motherfucker on teeth. So are stairs when I drink.

On the plus side, I have a resilient immune system and am a low infection risk, for some reason.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My dentist invited me out to water ski with him and he has a dreamy tan with perfect teeth. He’s also a loving tooth artist and fixed some lovely work I had.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm not a fan of dentists either. An army dentist hosed my trust in them forever. I'll be visiting one of those anchor mount denture places in the inevitable future. They're gonna need a lot of knock out juice when that happens, since thc can gently caress with how your body takes to anesthesia. I'll fly my brother out here to drive my rear end there and back and take care of any animals I have, while I drool and bitch about my own stupidity.

Just going to have them chiseled the gently caress out, wisdom teeth too. The army didn't get those from me, they were "coming in straight" at the time. Thanks army.

Also, depression is a motherfucker on teeth. So are stairs when I drink.

On the plus side, I have a resilient immune system and am a low infection risk, for some reason.

What the gently caress? My wisdom teeth were already in perfectly straight and because I was loving old when I joined they were already completely in place and causing no problems but they pulled them anyway.

Assholes.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I need to go have a crown redone, I'm not thrilled about having a mouthful of teeth that cost more than a mid 2000 Honda Accord.

I had a good dentist, he was able to kill crowns in office so you he would fiddle with them until the fit perfectly, but he was expensive and constantly trying to push poo poo like invisalign and night guards. I moved so now I have to try to find a new dentist, or drive south an hour and a half to have the work done.

^^^ same, those fuckheads yanked mine out in basic becuase they were worried they might be impacted later.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I have bitchin dental coverage thru work and I get minimum 1000 bucks of work a year.

My dentist is a lovely Persian woman who's a goddamn artist, she fixed a chipped front tooth that I'd had for 10 years and you can't even tell it's patched.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seller accepted our offer, hold onto your butts. :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Good luck. Give yourself more time for every single step of moving than you think you'll need. Think you can do it all in a week? Give yourself 10 days MINIMUM.