Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Oh yeah, we're gonna take our time moving poo poo in. I'm fortunate in that my landlord has been pretty chill and said he's fine with us breaking the lease early so long as he gets early notice. I think we'll have like a solid month and a half to move poo poo in before our first mortgage payment is due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Congrats you did better than us.

Don't skimp on the inspector!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Oh hell no, scheduling a home inspection and a sewer line inspection tomorrow. One plus is we know the house fell through with a previous buyer when the inspector found the AC/HVAC was busted. Seller went and replaced the entire system before putting it back on the market. When I saw it (before knowing about the replaced HVAC), I joked that it looked brand new without realizing.

We're lucky in that the contract gives us enough wiggle room that if anything pops up that we aren't happy with, we can walk with our deposit.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

My dentist invited me out to water ski with him and he has a dreamy tan with perfect teeth. He’s also a loving tooth artist and fixed some lovely work I had.

I made toast for breakfast this morning and it occurred to me that we just passed the one year anniversary of you somehow gashing your finger with a butter knife.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

What the gently caress? My wisdom teeth were already in perfectly straight and because I was loving old when I joined they were already completely in place and causing no problems but they pulled them anyway.

Assholes.

I was 20ish. My family seems to drag rear end on wisdom teeth producing. My parents didn't have theirs pulled until they were in their 30s. My older brother still has his too, and he spent time on active duty also.

It was also during the build up for Iraq. Lots of business at the time fixing Jim Bob's teeth from all the fresh recruits.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
There’s more to wisdom teeth than if they are coming in straight or not.

Historically wisdom teeth are hard for people to clean properly because they are so far back. Also they have to come together to “self clean” like the rest of your teeth do. Wisdom teeth don’t like to do that. Part of the decision of extract or not extract is if the dentist thinks there’s a chance they won’t be kept clean, they need to go. Because you just can’t do fillings on wisdom teeth unless your dentist has very tiny hands and you can open extremely wide.

I’ve assisted extractions of wisdom teeth with cavities. It wasn’t fun for me, the dentist, and especially not the patient.

I’ve assisted a root canal on one. The only reason we did that was because the tooth in front of it was gone. It still wasn’t fun. It took twice as long as normal and there was a lot of cursing from the endodontist.

Oh and even if they are coming in straight, another reason is if they are going to mash your other teeth forward. Straight teeth can still do that if you don’t have enough room.

Having worked at MCRD, it’s possible that in boot camp you can keep your wisdom teeth. They don’t just line everyone up and pull all of them out. Each person is in fact looked at and a decision made by an oral surgeon. At least that’s how dentistry in the Navy worked. YMMV with the lesser branches :)

Sarah fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 22, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Worst dental experience I’ve had was the dumbass who screwed up a filling, cemented a crown on it, which surprise, led to an infection, and damage to two additional teeth. Surprisingly he wasn’t a military dentist.

My current dentist recommended a oral surgeon with a anesthesiologist on staff for getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Both of the bottom ones were extremely close to some nerve, and he didn’t want to risk damage.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mine really started being a oval office in my late 20s, but by then I was already out of the service and balls deep in hating myself.

I'm not at all kidding when I say I'm taking a serious look at dentures, because I'm not going to pay out every conceivable orifice for individual implants. Just cut them all out in a day and anchor some studs in there while I'm out cold and doped to the gills. In all honesty, I'll probably be fighting depression the rest of my life, which means they'll all be pulled at some point and I'll have a mouth of falsies eventually anyhow.

Yay, life realizations. Now to figure out how to pay for it without dental insurance, because lol insurance in the pot industry, or VA dental with less than 90% rating.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
In addition to the Navy dentist who did a great job with a filling on a moving ship, he was also the only dentist I've ever seen who didn't try to convince me to get my two remaining wisdom teeth removed. I have been very happy with Navy dentistry.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I had a Navy dentist put a huge filling in a tooth, right before my EAOS, without any anesthetic. That + childhood experiences kept me out of a dentist's chair for nearly 3 decades until that same tooth broke and I needed a crown. I found a great dentist who understood my issues, put in a lot of novocaine, gave me headphones (for the drill noise) and did a fantastic job.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Two years out, and only three crowns left to actually fix my stupid mouth. Thanks prison Army dentistry!

I lucked out with the wisdom teeth, though. They were impacted as hell, and needed pulled. Army shenanigans meant I wound up being late to the appointment to get them yanked, and the fresh out of residency oral surgeon got all pissed about it. This was clearly my fault, and my "punishment" was that I would have to go to a local civilian provider to get it done. Out of sheer stupid luck, I managed to pick the practice that was owned and operated by the retired OIC of the military clinic, that their current OIC moonlighted at. Dude was not happy that the authorization paperwork only allowed for local anesthesia, so I got to listen in as he called up the clinic to poo poo all over the doc that punted me over in the first place. Five minutes after that, my consciously sedated rear end was busy not remembering the horror of those things getting cracked out of my head. Still got dry socket, though.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I had a Navy dentist put a huge filling in a tooth, right before my EAOS, without any anesthetic. That + childhood experiences kept me out of a dentist's chair for nearly 3 decades until that same tooth broke and I needed a crown. I found a great dentist who understood my issues, put in a lot of novocaine, gave me headphones (for the drill noise) and did a fantastic job.

Believe it or not I had a bad experience at dental and I worked there. A civilian dentist couldn’t get me numbed up because the tooth actually needed a root canal. He told me I was numb and I was feeling cold not pain. Thanks for telling me what I feeling? I was in agony. I filed a formal complaint about him after I got out because it was going to be obvious it was me.

It hosed me up pretty good in regards to dentistry. After seeing that rear end in a top hat I got my root canal done by the endodontist that I assisted so I was completely ok with that because I knew he was going to make sure everything was good. He was really nervous about it. He said it was like he was working on his daughter. Which was nice to hear because he was such a grumpy old O6.

I skipped going to the dentist for many years because I couldn’t find anyone here that made me feel comfortable and was willing to deal with me being panicky. The dentist I finally found here is so amazing. He was an army dentist and he is so patient and kind. He is really really good with making sure patients are completely numb. I was a hot mess when I was there the first time and he and his assistants made me feel so much better.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Had my 5 wisdom teeth taken out by an Army dentist because I wanted a few days off work. Was supposed to be knocked out for it, but my rear end in a top hat of a boss wouldn't let me leave to go get the medication I needed to take the day before the surgery, so I got to be awake for the whole thing. That was fun, smelling your teeth burning. Not as bad as smelling a laser cook your eyes, but less pleasant overall.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My supervisor spent several years only getting his annual dental check from the base dentist. He did this because he was too cheap to pay $120 a year for Tricare Dental. Money that could be spent on video games. Until one day he realizes that he has a giant hole in one of his molars.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Bottom two wisdom teeth were impacted 90 degrees, top two were straight. The dentist just said it would be better to pull all four while he's in there so I said meh and I now I have four fewer teeth.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I do get a lot of weird looks from people when I tell them that I've never had so much as a cavity. I do have a permanent brace on my front teeth from when I had to get braces after snapping a canine when I was a kid.

Take care of your damned teeth.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: Made it to 30 without a cavity and things still looking good. Seals and regular brushing.

Had wisdom teeth pulled right after graduating high school. Laid around for a week or two after bleeding and getting falling dreams from the Lortab.

A couple years later I got braces to correct a slightly off centerline caused by a tooth that never came in. For that my dentist removed a couple of teeth. So he numbed up my mouth a started wrenching around in there with his knee up on the armrest. Then he told me to just take some Ibuprofen. I suppose it's good that he not just tossing narcotics around to anybody, but I could have used them for that one.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
The only thing I had prior to surgery was a prescription mouth wash which I had to use for a week prior and three days after. Stitches started dissolving 36 hours after they were put in.

That and a couple of ibuprofen’s or Tylenol if they were needed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My dental history entailed getting one tooth broken off at the gum line playing with neighborhood kids when I was seven. I had to go to the emergency dentist, who didn’t anesthetize me, sent my mom out of the room, and then proceeded to scream at me while he put a new composite tooth over the shard.

A few years later, I was playing in a pool that had a big inflatable dog you could climb on, and some candidate for father of the year was shaking it so his kids would fall off into the water. One landed on top of my head, breaking my other bottom front tooth and my nose. Back to a DIFFERENT emergency dentist; this one at least gave me nitrous and was nice to me.

When I was 12, my first broken tooth started bothering me. A dull, throbbing ache that turned into a constant stabbing pain. I couldn’t eat, and I would wake up constantly in agony. X-Rays revealed that the tooth had been killed when it was originally broken, but it apparently took five years for the root to die and turn into basically a big old abscess under the tooth itself. I had to have a root canal in three stages- the first of which to relieve the pressure (thankfully I wasn’t awake for this but apparently pus shot out of the tooth when they started drilling and actually hit the dentist’s coat), the second to scrape out all of the infected gum tissue, and the third to fill in the tooth and seal it off. To date, the pain I encountered after the second phase is the worst I’ve felt since in my entire life, and one that an emergency Vicodin prescription barely touched. My mom almost took me to the ER where my dad worked for pain control- to give you an idea of how significant that is, my mom is a trauma nurse, so her usual prescription for pain management was “quit being a baby about it.”

I still have dreams about those experiences and they’ve straight loving ruined me for the dentist. I try to take really good care of my teeth so that I don’t develop any issues (35 and still no cavities!) that require me to go to the dentist. If I do, just loving turn the lights out and wake me up when you’re done, or else I may try to bat away your hygienist’s hand or scrunch away in my seat trying to get away.

The irony is the rest of my dental history is completely uncomplicated. My wisdom teeth extraction was so uneventful I was eating solid food the same day and had no swelling whatsoever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

In addition to the Navy dentist who did a great job with a filling on a moving ship, he was also the only dentist I've ever seen who didn't try to convince me to get my two remaining wisdom teeth removed. I have been very happy with Navy dentistry.

I mean I didn’t want to have to come here and say it but same.

In boot camp I just remember them taking everyone’s wisdom teeth. I had paid out of pocket at 19 years prior. Wish I got that for free. Couldn’t afford any anesthesia beside local.

Those surgeons are pulling a lot of loving teeth. I get some may be training, but it’s possible that maybe with all that teeth pulling they’re somewhat competent too but idk lol military medicine amiright y’all

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

VA dental with less than 90% rating.

ya I looked into it and boy they really don’t want to cover anyone. From what I remember you needed one of:

1. Service related jaw trauma
2. 100% rating, or was it 90%
3. 60% rating and I believe rendered unemployable?

And I think one more I’m forgetting.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I had all 4 wisdom teeth plus one bad molar pulled in the same shot. Dentist had to lean on my head and chest to get enough leverage to pull the last one, apparently he wanted to stop and bring in a endodontic suregon to pull it. Me, whacked out of my skull on muscle relaxers and nitrous, told him to ignore my screams and pull the fucker. I still remember hearing the *crack* when it came out.

I spent a week afterwards eating nothing but slim fast and Vicodin.

My current dentist is awesome. She knows how anxious I get for dental stuff and moves faster then any other dentist I've seen. Screw keeping me calm, just numb me up and get me the gently caress out of the chair.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Removing my four wisdom teeth was about a 20 minute process. They were already fully in place so he basically put a fancy dental pliers around them and popped them out with just his forearms. In and out, healed up totally in a few days no dry socket, no stitches, barely any bleeding, nothing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Had my wisdom teeth out before the navy, so no big deal there. Navy dental never did more for me than xrays and cleanings. I was told on my final out that i had a tiny cavity in the side of one of my teeth that had been present and not growing through most of my service. They told me to use fluoride toothpaste and it should close up.

I didn’t go to the dentist again for 6 years. A few weeks ago was my first time since the navy. They told me my teeth look great, I’m flossing well, and I have no cavities. They were shocked my teeth looked as good as they did despite no cleaning for 6 years.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Also FYI y’all if there’s a dental hygienist school near you: they generally do free/cheap cleanings. If your first time I think they also include xrays and an exam by a licensed dentist (though no actual dental work) and they’ll generally print off your xrays and whatever else for you to take elsewhere

I mean cannot beat free. Caveat of course being that they’re students, and it takes 3-4x as long as a regular cleaning. They’re checked before and after by a licensed hygienist, so you could argue it’s a better cleaning than you’d find elsewhere

As well I’m sure if there’s a dental school near you they do free stuff

Anyway just a PSA to keep up on your dental health guys. poo poo is seriously expensive and will absolutely wreak havoc on your body and life. I wish dental pain on no one. Had a bit of a scare myself. If it goes long enough unchecked, best case scenario you get pain killers/antibiotics to delay the inevitable, then come up with the cash to get it fixed or pulled. It’s a steady downward slope.

or go to Mexico lol

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 22, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

colachute posted:

I made toast for breakfast this morning and it occurred to me that we just passed the one year anniversary of you somehow gashing your finger with a butter knife.

Those IKEA butter knives had some no loving around serration on them. The loving weather in DC sucks still. Can’t believe we survived so long in that stupid no AC apartment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ya I looked into it and boy they really don’t want to cover anyone. From what I remember you needed one of:

It's definitely 90% rating. Also, if you're rendered unemployable, your rating goes to 100%. Far as I may have been lied to, anyhow.

And yeah, it's gonna be expensive to get my poo poo fixed, which is why I'd rather they just cut them all out at once. I can't afford the hilarious amounts of money to fix my teeth. It's literally going to be a fraction of the cost to say gently caress it and get falsies. The anchor mounts being a bit more, but not 'mouth full of implants' price terrain. I can save and scratch up denture money, implants are a pipedream comparatively.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I didn’t want to have to come here and say it but same.

In boot camp I just remember them taking everyone’s wisdom teeth. I had paid out of pocket at 19 years prior. Wish I got that for free. Couldn’t afford any anesthesia beside local.

Those surgeons are pulling a lot of loving teeth. I get some may be training, but it’s possible that maybe with all that teeth pulling they’re somewhat competent too but idk lol military medicine amiright y’all

Honestly, most of my bitterness stems from the fact that I was too broke to have the pulled when they were coming in, so I had to deal with the pain on and off for two years, and then the Navy just yanked them out when they finally quit hurting.
I also think that most problems people have with Navy medicine in general is that if you are attached to an at sea command, you are never seeing the same doctor twice. It can be really frustrating to have one doc make a recommendation, then when you schedule your follow up the next doc is confused about why they are doing what they are doing. Also just like in the civilian world, not all doctors and dentists are good, its just easier to hold onto a good one in the civilian world than the military.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Current teeth status: I need to utilize my excellent dental plan to fix my hosed up grill but I don’t wanna. It’s a ticking time bomb so I really should.

Current job status: instructed to prepare a contract transition plan. It is currently just a one pager with HA HA in comic sans with a picture of Nelson.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's like 2, 3 hours of inconvenience assuming they need to go extra duty on the cleaning and then fill cavities. Probably split into two appointments. At least that's what it ended up being for me when I finally went to a dentist after a 5 year gap in dental coverage. I was surprised it wasn't worse.

Also still got my wisdom teeth and no one tried to yank them out in the army, surprisingly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have six cavities (based off my last appointment 3 years ago), a "bruised tooth" from an injury I sustained in the Army that needs to be pulled entirely and replaced with an implant, and a wisdom tooth the Army decided I didn't need extracted that has been described (also based off my last appointment) as "bombed out".

It's probably about four grand out of pocket. I have that much in my HSA easily but ugh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://youtu.be/jRX5ijqh5Ok

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Is everyone having a good time arguing for rent?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The amount of maga hats and trump supporters at the Holocaust museum is staggering.
I fear for the youth today.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Hopefully they're learning something good? Right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

Hopefully they're learning something good? Right?

To take a guess: Something something "The Second Amendment would've stopped this" something "Ignore Hitler loosening Gun Control" something "I would've been a Nazis"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I have dental through bruxism. Im also 100% and want dental for my family. Took my kid to the dentist and they want to either do 2 removals and 2 crowns and 1 root canal or remove all 8 molars. 6k of work and I dont know why they think a 5 year old can handle that poo poo.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

Those IKEA butter knives had some no loving around serration on them. The loving weather in DC sucks still. Can’t believe we survived so long in that stupid no AC apartment.

Remember when we went to the commissary and the cashier girl asked if we were county or city?

I'm city now and the quality of life difference is amazing. Just had to go north of the 495 and suddenly it's paradise.

Way more expensive though. Ugh.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So a military dependent is only allowed to fly Space A when accompanied by their sponsor. The sponsor has to be eligible - either active duty or a retiree.

For benefits purposes, my wife is considered to have been retired upon her death.

I guess my question is do I get to fly Space A if I show up to the pax terminal with her urn?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

This is kind of a morbid question, but in what sense do people who die get discharged from the military?

Like.. does your wife have an honorable discharge? Or a DD214? Or are there varying circumstances (which I'm sure there are!)

I'm not trying to be funny or a dick here, it's something I'm genuinely curious about.

colachute fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

colachute posted:

This is kind of a morbid question, but in what sense do people who die get discharged from the military?

Like.. does your wife have an honorable discharge? Or a DD214?

I'm not trying to be funny or a dick here, it's something I'm genuinely curious about.

I know that her official status is deceased and I've been told that for benefits purposes she's also considered to be retired.

Beyond that I have no idea. I didn't get a DD-214 but then when she died she was on active duty orders that only lasted like a week.

I'll see if I can dig up her personnel records.