Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

the internet posted:

Currently, widows/widowers of active duty/retired military personnel are not entitled to Space-A travel aboard DoD aircraft. There are some members of Congress attempting to change these rules so contact your political representatives to get the current status. Any changes to Space-A eligibility rules will be published as an immediate change to DoD 4515.13r and advertised accordingly (Reiteration HQ AMC/DONP 091704z Mar 99)

Sorry my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
And the universe managed to piss on McNally yet again.

Sorry bud :(

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vasudus posted:

Sorry my dude.

drat, I guess someone beat me to it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At least you didn't get stranded somewhere because Idiot A at the counter didn't know any better but Idiot B at the other end of the trip did and refused to let you return.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

The amount of maga hats and trump supporters at the Holocaust museum is staggering.
I fear for the youth today.

They were like that before Trump, now they just have the hats.

It's always like that around Memorial Day weekend. It's Rolling Thunder on Sunday which means nearly a million people -JUST- for that event are going to be the DC area. I'm going to be watching it with my extended family because it's tradition but it's going to suck rear end.

Godholio posted:

At least you didn't get stranded somewhere because Idiot A at the counter didn't know any better but Idiot B at the other end of the trip did and refused to let you return.

I've never flown Space-A after I tried to do it from Korea to Japan for my midtour (it was considerably cheaper to fly from Tokyo) and I almost missed my flight from getting bumped so many times. Going back from Japan to Korea was apparently a billion times easier.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I never did because A-Leave? What's that? and B-everything out of our base went to loving Travis AFB.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

McNally posted:

So a military dependent is only allowed to fly Space A when accompanied by their sponsor. The sponsor has to be eligible - either active duty or a retiree.

For benefits purposes, my wife is considered to have been retired upon her death.

I guess my question is do I get to fly Space A if I show up to the pax terminal with her urn?

Oh that’s loving awful. I may be overseas next year and hoping my wife could visit on the cheap.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh that’s loving awful. I may be overseas next year and hoping my wife could visit on the cheap.

The only way an unaccompanied dependent can fly Space A is if they're command sponsored or if you're deployed (under certain circumstances)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, so my broken medically retired rear end can use space a?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

McNally posted:

The only way an unaccompanied dependent can fly Space A is if they're command sponsored or if you're deployed (under certain circumstances)

Ahhh well then it’s still possible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Really nice evening to walk around DC at least. Allergies still bad but the weather is nice.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

not caring here posted:

Wait, so my broken medically retired rear end can use space a?

Yes. I plan on using it with my family at some point.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That'd save a few bucks heading back to the mother country

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

Really nice evening to walk around DC at least. Allergies still bad but the weather is nice.

I'm working remotely tomorrow which really means I just have to keep my phone on if you wanna gawk at the likely increasing amount of MAGA hats.

not caring here posted:

That'd save a few bucks heading back to the mother country

Keep in mind you'll be the lowest priority so plan to get bumped a lot for popular routes.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I'm working remotely tomorrow which really means I just have to keep my phone on if you wanna gawk at the likely increasing amount of MAGA hats.

Keep in mind you'll be the lowest priority so plan to get bumped a lot for popular routes.

I’ll be off by noon tomorrow and the CO is allowing a 96 so I dont even have to report in on Friday.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll be off by noon tomorrow and the CO is allowing a 96 so I dont even have to report in on Friday.

check yer PMs

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I got reservations at Peter Luger’s Steakhouse this weekend.

Super pumped.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LingcodKilla posted:

If you guys go to Iron Horse...so help me...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

If you guys go to Iron Horse...so help me...

Well I dont have any Thursday night plans right now.... still have to fly on Friday evening.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anybody have total or near blackout curtains they can recommend? Most online reviews I'm finding seem more interested in pushing their links vs explaining actual pros/cons. New house has a much bigger bedroom window and it's full fuckoff daylight by 6:30 am with the blinds shut. :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Bachelor option, black trash bags.

Only time I bought black out curtains was at Target or a similar box store. Unless you want a fancy pattern, that'd be my route.

Don't know or care what it says about me, but I usually leave a light or two on at night, because I hate waking up in pitch darkness. Bathroom and stove lights are pretty much always burning in my apartment.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Godholio posted:

Anybody have total or near blackout curtains they can recommend? Most online reviews I'm finding seem more interested in pushing their links vs explaining actual pros/cons. New house has a much bigger bedroom window and it's full fuckoff daylight by 6:30 am with the blinds shut. :(

One of the bedrooms in the house we bought has these weird curtains that magnetically close but they have 0 information anywhere on them as to who makes them. They really block the light out. I think my parents have them in their room because my dad sleeps odd hours. I’ll ask my mom when she wakes up wtf they are. Because I tried to google it and nothing came back to what they are.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

how many of you goony fucks are in my town for fleet week

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

how many of you goony fucks are in my town for fleet week

I was last year but you disappeared and I didn’t feel like getting arrested and screaming “is there stairs in your house” to find you.

Btw I got sexually assaulted and propositioned in your fine city too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

Well I dont have any Thursday night plans right now.... still have to fly on Friday evening.

My wife yelled at me when I said I was gonna maybe go out because I forgot we have to go see a loan officer this evening so we can commit financial suicide buy a house.

Godholio posted:

I bought some at target years ago that worked wonders, can't remember the brand name but it had a clip-art picture of an eclipse on the packaging. My now wife hated them because every time she stayed at my old place and I left for work, she would sleep till noon because of the lack of sunlight.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 23, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife yelled at me when I said I was gonna maybe go out because I forgot we have to go see a loan officer this evening so we can commit financial suicide buy a house.

Just say im a house buying pro consultant. I’ve bought a few.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

[.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Godholio posted:

I have $10 walmart solid black blackout curtains in my room and they work great. They have a bunch of different colors and are all labeled as "blackout curtain." They're fantastic.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
good lord are people salty about the upcoming metro repairs

i mean yeah 107 days is a long rear end time, but the shuttle bus system isn't that bad

suck it up, buttercup

edit: also this humidity is making me pray for death and it's 9

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 23, 2019

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

LingcodKilla posted:

Just say im a house buying pro consultant. I’ve bought a few.

"Honey, don't think of it as a 40 dollar bar tab, think of it as 40 dollars of home buying knowledge!"

If I manage to get out early I'll pm you or something. You're back here like every other month though, right?

Vasudus posted:

good lord are people salty about the upcoming metro repairs

i mean yeah 107 days is a long rear end time, but the shuttle bus system isn't that bad

suck it up, buttercup

Transplants and whining about minor inconveniences with the metro go together like lamb and tuna fish. Like I get that metro has it's share of issues worth gripping about, but I wish some of the people whining about stupid poo poo would be fired into the sun. Metro is light years ahead of what most American cities have. Hell, it beats the poo poo out of Boston's system and that was the gold standard for me growing up.

Though it's brought me great schadenfreude this past week to see the guy running unsuckdcmetro get named and reveal himself to be the chud we always knew he was.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i mean i'm a transplant and i can bitch up a storm about just about anything but gat dang

during safetrack two years ago it was pure agony to be trapped in a suit in a shoulder-to-shoulder metro car sitting for hours in the 95/95% heat

i would still take it over not doing that maintenance that was so desperately needed

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
My mom doesn’t know what curtains they are. Then she was really super helpful and told me to google room darkening curtains.

Thanks, Mom.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Yeah I hear you. The maintenance can be inconvenient but that's kinda what you get when it was put off for years and years by previous administrators. I'd also much rather the yellow line gets shutdown for a while instead of having constant track fires and accidents.

I'm a transplant as well so it's not even an irrational hatred of transplants, just idiots that move here after they graduate from Oberlin and then proceed to whine about dumb poo poo on the metro because it's the thing to do. There's also the racial component which should be an Olympic event in the racist Olympics with the way some people use coded language to bitch about certain riders and employees.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Vasudus posted:

during safetrack two years ago it was pure agony to be trapped in a suit in a shoulder-to-shoulder metro car sitting for hours in the 95/95% heat

lol this is the Toronto King/Queen streetcar lines every single loving weekday at rush hour

to the point where companies advertise on the streetcar shelters and crack jokes about how bad it is (Coffee Crisp Slim; Actually fits onto the 504 (streetcar line) at 5:45)

never give transportation projects to Bombardier is what I'm trying to say

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I live in an old 1950s era air force base housing neighborhood. Practically every house has been added on to or renovated in some way, but many still do not have central heating and air, and all of them are still the same old 2/1 cement houses built all over the country in that time frame.

It's actually a pretty pleasant neighborhood, all in all, but it's not a high property value part of town in the least bit. There's a house down the street from me that I actually thought about buying when I saw the for sale sign. I looked up the property value and it's got a market value of $45k. List price? $78. loving :lol:

I don't even know if it's got central air.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sarah posted:

My mom doesn’t know what curtains they are. Then she was really super helpful and told me to google room darkening curtains.

Thanks, Mom.

:lol: Thanks for checking.

I'll hit up a few stores this afternoon or tomorrow. Hadn't thought of Target, but I know walmart's current offerings are not great.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
how is it that having my client be halfway across the country is ten times more stress than when she's ten feet away from me

goddamnit

edit: also i think i got my blackout curtains at target when i was still living up north

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 23, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I live in an old 1950s era air force base housing neighborhood. Practically every house has been added on to or renovated in some way, but many still do not have central heating and air, and all of them are still the same old 2/1 cement houses built all over the country in that time frame.

It's actually a pretty pleasant neighborhood, all in all, but it's not a high property value part of town in the least bit. There's a house down the street from me that I actually thought about buying when I saw the for sale sign. I looked up the property value and it's got a market value of $45k. List price? $78. loving :lol:

It took me a moment to realize you didnt forget a couple zeroes. I get real tempted sometimes to sell my house and move somewhere that I could straight up pay cash for a house.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you even buying the land the house is on for $78?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa-w8GPWF-0